User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:36   #1
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Diabetes

ok i have a question for you medical types (or those with diabetes who might know)

diabetes is hereditary right?
cause my grandpa (mom's side) recently got diagnosed with type 2 (the one that's not bad). and then a few days ago my dad got diagnosed with borderline diabetes. they both have to do those blood tests every day now.

i hate needles. if i find out i ever get diabetes i WILL NOT prick my finger every day to see my bloodsugar levels as i just won't care.

but i'm wondering that since now there's diabetes on both sides of the family.. i'm fked aren't i? :\
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:38   #2
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
I think that kind of diabetes only affects males. Obviously I don't know which it is, but considering it only affected the men, you might be lucky.

Here's looking at you kid.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:44   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
my great-uncle on my mum's said was and some of my dad's side are aswell tho i appear to be fine

even if you hate needles you'd do what you had to do

if some 5 year old diabetic little girl has to do it herself every day to make sure she's ok i'm sure you'd cope if you had to
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:47   #4
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i wouldn't
you don't understand.. i can't see myself bleed or i get faint (i haven't actually fainted from it though). i'm like borderline anemic so i think it's something to do with that.. it's weird cause i don't get faint or grossed out when i see other people bleed. *shrug*
i dunno. i also don't like needles very much and the thought of having to poke myself every day doesn't sound much like fun.
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:49   #5
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
not unless they got diabetes from eating badly, like all those digusting fat little kids who stuff their FAT LITTLE FACE FULL OF MCDONALDS LIKE FUKKING PIGS
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:51   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i think.. you might be jumping to conclusions a little too fast.

But
my friend has diabetes. it was hell for him at first, but he gets by without any difficulty now. He eats more sugar than me (probably more than the average man) per day regardless of the fact he isnt meant to have any, and doesnt suffer too bad hypos, or hypers. There is constant support from groups, who also provide him with free gifts of cd's, money etc every month. He can drink without abnormal concequence, his tag lets him take food into places where it wouldnt normally be allowed, and i think, he only does 1 (might be two) injections a day. I think (big think here) theres a tablet instead of an injection? isnt there? And i wouldnt worry about the blood tests if it came to it. ou click a button, and its in and out faster than you feel youve actually pushed the button in. He says you only start to notice the needle after 3months of not changing it. Not a biggie

Anyway, its probably nothing. But just in case, diabetes isnt the end of the world.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 23:55   #7
Aryn
Happy

hehehe
i'm not worried about dying of diabetes or something..
i'm just saying it wouldn't take over my life like it does to most people.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:02   #8
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
i think.. you might be jumping to conclusions a little too fast.

But
my friend has diabetes. it was hell for him at first, but he gets by without any difficulty now. He eats more sugar than me (probably more than the average man) per day regardless of the fact he isnt meant to have any, and doesnt suffer too bad hypos, or hypers.
Your friend will regret that when he gets older. My dad developed type 2 when he was 63 (and he always ate healthy, worked hard, and was never overweight a day in his life), and my mom has it now to, so it is not limited to men. My sister is a registered nurse so I have heard a bit about it.People like your friend develope serious complications later in life, by serious I mean blindness, major amutations (legs above the knees, and other health troubles. If he wants a shot at avoiding these he better get on his diet and stay there, even that is no guarantee (my dad was still losing his sight, and had already lost two toes), but he'll have a better chance.
Aryn, I wouldn't worry to much about it. At your age, if you eat half way right odds are you won't get it until you get much older, and you may never get it. Even having two parents develope it does not mean I ever will, just that there is a higher risk. And by the time you do, if ever, there will probably be better methods of testing that won't include needles.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:36   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
http://goodmedicine.ninemsn.com.au/g...oline/1660.asp

Might help.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:45   #10
Aryn
Happy

DOCTAR PAB TO THE RESCUE!!

ta hun
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:47   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
LO ARYN FS

And that was the result of random googling, I've not the knowledge to appraise the information in the article like.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:48   #12
Aryn
Happy

that one didn't count cause i said LO PAB FS in another thread earlier!

well ta anyways :P
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:49   #13
oldtown
Volcano

oldtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
hehehe
i'm not worried about dying of diabetes or something..
i'm just saying it wouldn't take over my life like it does to most people.
Well you wouldnt have much choice......Once you have it if you dont monitor yourself it will kill you.

To your main question yes you are a high risk case..which means you have good chance to get it if you dont take steps to prevent it. A good diet and excercise can help you avoid getting it so now that you know it runs in your family you can work on preventing it .
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:49   #14
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
I think (big think here) theres a tablet instead of an injection? isnt there? .
Yes, but it depends on what type and how severe it is. Dad had to take injections, the tablets would not work with him. Mom is luckier, she gets the tablets, but still has to check her sugar at least every morning and evening. This morning it was 28, dangerously low, Normal is around 100 I believe.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:49   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
that one didn't count cause i said LO PAB FS in another thread earlier!

well ta anyways :P
I would be in bed but for not needing to be up till 9 tomorrow \o/

Moderate sleeping in is bliss.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:56   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Yes, but it depends on what type and how severe it is. Dad had to take injections, the tablets would not work with him. Mom is luckier, she gets the tablets, but still has to check her sugar at least every morning and evening. This morning it was 28, dangerously low, Normal is around 100 I believe.
totally different scale from us i believe

My mate is supposed to try and keep between 6 and 10. Ive seen him as low as 2.9, and as high as near 35. When hes around the 15 mark, hes happy, because he has a sweet tooth, a bit unfortunate considering.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:56   #17
Aryn
Happy

well my dad and grandpa don't have to have injections/tablets yet.. they just have to monitor their blood-sugar levels.

though a sort of a plus on this is i was with dad when he went to the pharmacy and i got to talk to the pharmacy tech about stuff. (that's what i'm studying to be) i never really thought that the job would entail giving demos to people (she showed dad how to use the lancer and machine). learn something new everyday :P
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:57   #18
Aryn
Happy

hmm.. must be a weird scale.. my dad was told he's supposed to stay below 7

americans and their weird units
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:00   #19
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
hmm.. must be a weird scale.. my dad was told he's supposed to stay below 7

americans and their weird units
I have no idea what the scale is, I just know they say it should be around 100. As long as their meter says that all is well.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:03   #20
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
well my dad and grandpa don't have to have injections/tablets yet.. they just have to monitor their blood-sugar levels.

though a sort of a plus on this is i was with dad when he went to the pharmacy and i got to talk to the pharmacy tech about stuff. (that's what i'm studying to be) i never really thought that the job would entail giving demos to people (she showed dad how to use the lancer and machine). learn something new everyday :P
They have a very mild case then, these can be controlled by diet alone. Long term diabetes related health problems should not be a worry to them.

I need a good indoor job, except in the summer, when it's nice to be outside all day.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:06   #21
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
totally different scale from us i believe

My mate is supposed to try and keep between 6 and 10. Ive seen him as low as 2.9, and as high as near 35. When hes around the 15 mark, hes happy, because he has a sweet tooth, a bit unfortunate considering.
Normal blood sugar (glucose) concentration is about 80mg/cc of blood in the morning (after fasting), and 75-120mg/cc overall.

i think 6-10 means 60-100mg/cc and the units are changed, i.e. erring on the safe side of the normal levels.

so its the same scale as nixjim's relatives, except for a factor of 10 in the units.
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:09   #22
Aryn
Happy

G_frog is smart :\

that makes sense though.

hehe nixjim dunno what kind of job will allow you to do that though :\
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:11   #23
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
I am "worried" hence me giving us stuff like meat.
eating meat or not won't affect diabetes. it's the sugars you have to worry about. like cut down on candy, and watch out for foods high in sugars. etc (afaik anyway).
but lots of excersise and cutting down on candy is really all you need to do to become less of a risk.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:28   #24
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
I don't eat chocolate. I don't drink a lot of softdrinks, my dad was the same.

You'd be surpised where sugar gets. I know the buns in maccie D's taste sweet :/
Yea, there are no guarantees. Dad never ate chocolate or most sweets, mainly he liked strawberry preserves and honey on occasion (not together, yuck) He ate loads of veggies and what not, when he was diagnosed the doctor told him he was the healthiest 63 year old man he had ever seen, except for the diabetes. 8 years later he died from cancer, who could have guessed? Multiple checkups every year and they didn't even find the cancer until 8 days before it killed him. What do Doctors know? Not much.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:32   #25
Aryn
Happy

cancer sucks :\
it took my neighbour in a few weeks :\
he was working in his shop and he bumped himself on the table.. it hurt a couple days later so he went to the doctor and they found a cancerous tumour in his liver. when they had figured out what it was it was 1/4 the size of his liver, a couple weeks later it was 1/2 the size and he was in the hospital on his death bed. they couldn't stop it.. they didn't even try, just made him stay in the hostpital til he died
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:36   #26
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
cancer sucks :\
it took my neighbour in a few weeks :\
he was working in his shop and he bumped himself on the table.. it hurt a couple days later so he went to the doctor and they found a cancerous tumour in his liver. when they had figured out what it was it was 1/4 the size of his liver, a couple weeks later it was 1/2 the size and he was in the hospital on his death bed. they couldn't stop it.. they didn't even try, just made him stay in the hostpital til he died

Dad wanted to stay in the hospital but they kicked him out, said there was nothing they could do for him there and we could take better care of him at home than they could.
He said it figured cancer would get him, he was to healthy to die from anything else.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:38   #27
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Mmm sure does,my uncle had a brain tumour but he had it for over a year and a half,surgery,radiotherapy,kemotherapy(sp)
didn't help.

Thing is,do you want a year of knowing your gonna die and be in pain or just go quick...

Bah there's no guarentee's in life.

Anywho,compared to that a little jab in your finger each day aint so bad...that is if you ever develop diabities(here's hoping you dont)
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:46   #28
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by IncubusGod
Mmm sure does,my uncle had a brain tumour but he had it for over a year and a half,surgery,radiotherapy,kemotherapy(sp)
didn't help.

Thing is,do you want a year of knowing your gonna die and be in pain or just go quick...

Bah there's no guarentee's in life.

Anywho,compared to that a little jab in your finger each day aint so bad...that is if you ever develop diabities(here's hoping you dont)
Yep. Before his last trip to the hospital he said all he wanted to know was if he was going to get better. When he learned he wasn't I think he gave up, he was tired of the pain.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:55   #29
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
snip
Sorry to hear about that :/
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 04:18   #30
Nixjim
Commander

Thanks. It's been over a year so I'm pretty cool about it now.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 06:00   #31
Beast-of-War
clueless HR pe0n

Beast-of-War is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
I think that kind of diabetes only affects males. Obviously I don't know which it is, but considering it only affected the men, you might be lucky.

Here's looking at you kid.
Both sexes can get diabetes type 2(or 1 for that matter).
Its mostly elderly ppl and can often be managed by proper diet and excercise.
Only rarely is a treatment of tablets/injections needed. But when it is its usually for life.
Wheather its hereditary havent been established yet IIRC but seems very likely.