User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Feb 2007, 15:28   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Iran providing weapons to Iraqi insurgents

I'm not going make a proper thread because I can't be arsed frankly, but baring in mind there was that MI6 disinformation operation (Operation Mass Appeal here and here) to make the invasion of Iraq politically viable do you believe the UK and US governments when they point the finger at Iran?

And even if you don't believe them per se, do you think they've sown the seed of doubt that will eventually stop you from actively denouncing the war if it were to happen, by, let's say, not voting for whatever government that went to war?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 15:43   #2
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts
Re: Iran providing weapons to Iraqi insurgents

\o/ Iran's oil (/me drools)

I say down with all the enemies of our proud nation. If (and it is) Iran does indeed sell/give weapons to insurgent iraquies (SP?) then we should nuke them as soon as they build that powerplant of theirs and say they were conceiling weapons of mass destruction in ICBMs. \o/

anywho... theyre too rich if they just hand out weapons. Its all coz of their oil. I say take the problem out in the root \o/.

Edit: JEEZ people get some sence of humor. I dont really mean the above-posted ;/ sheesh

God bless our soldiers support the troops, not the war.
<< Has one of his best friends in Iraq
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you

Last edited by Mighteh; 12 Feb 2007 at 15:58.
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 15:44   #3
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I believe its fairly likely that Iran is providing weapons and training to the militias in Iraq but I certainly wouldn't support a war with them and would actively denounce it if it happened. The whole idea of a war with Iran is inconceivable, Iran is doing the same thing that we've been doing for decades in providing support for one side in an armed conflict in order to increase their influence, we got our selves into the mess in Iraq and we don't need another one in Iran.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 15:54   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If the Iranian's haven't been supplying Shia insurgents with weapons (and resources) then they're guilty of neglect on a pretty massive scale. I would hope that if Ireland was occupied by Arab troops who were guilty of various offences against the population that British citizens (if not the government itself) would support any insurgency wherever possible (or at least the protestant bit, to continue the analogy).

I think the most interesting part of all this is how the American's are positioning themselves in relation to the Sunni / Shia schism in Iraq. Patrick Cockburn has some thoughts on this here.

I still don't view war against Iran as even remotely feasible, but who knows. I like this quote from another article on Counterpunch.
Quote:
President Nixon, a very good poker player, once defined the art of brinkmanship as persuading your opponent that you are insane and, unless appeased by pledges of surrender, quite capable of blowing up the planet.

By these robust standards George Bush is doing a moderately competent job in suggesting that if balked by Iran on the matter of arming the Shi'a in Iraq or pursuing its nuclear program he'll dump high explosive, maybe even a couple of nukes, on that country's relevant research sites, or tell Israel to do the job for him.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 16:00   #5
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I see the problem with this thread! Anyway, I think I've answered my own question: mostly everyone accepts the government is probably lying to them most of the time but can't be arsed voting them out because the issues they're lying about (WMDs, etc) don't directly affect them in the same way scrapping the NHS would, for instance.

Thanks GD!

And that's a nice quote Dante. Thanks for posting it.
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 16:14   #6
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I wouldn't point fingers at Iran if I were the U.S. We all know who gave weapons to the local Afghanistanian military groups when they fought the Soviet, so it's kinda self-contradicting to accuse Iran of something they did themselves.
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 16:20   #7
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

I still don't view war against Iran as even remotely feasible
There's no chance of a land war, there'd need to be a draft to get the troops needed and that would never happen. More likely they'd have a massive aerial bombardment and hope to knock out Iranian nuclear facilities and much of their conventional military. Of course we all know they'd just end up hitting schools, hospitals, villages and British troops based in Cyprus.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 17:02   #8
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I wouldn't point fingers at Iran if I were the U.S. We all know who gave weapons to the local Afghanistanian military groups when they fought the Soviet, so it's kinda self-contradicting to accuse Iran of something they did themselves.
Hah. That'll clearly stop them condemning Iran.
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 17:15   #9
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Any kind of military attack on iran, not even an invasion just a bombing run, would be such a monumentally idiotic thing to do i just can't see it happening.
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 17:22   #10
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hey I remember people saying that about Iraq!
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 17:24   #11
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Hey I remember people saying that about Iraq!
Which time?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 19:20   #12
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Any kind of military attack on iran, not even an invasion just a bombing run, would be such a monumentally idiotic thing to do i just can't see it happening.
+

Its gonna be israel + US team up. I am sure jews also dont like a nuclear superpower (coz that is what iran is becoming) with enough fuel to make their rockets fly, rather then throwing the from catapults, being active/hostile to them. By implementing PA politics into this, pre-emptive strike will be made as soon as intelligence groups gather enough "evidence". mark my words, mark my words...
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 20:42   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
+

Its gonna be israel + US team up.
Israel really needs to take PR advice
Unread 12 Feb 2007, 21:05   #14
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

yes. from US
Unread 13 Feb 2007, 00:33   #15
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Hah. That'll clearly stop them condemning Iran.
No, but they have the habit of condemning anything that doesn't suit them.
Unread 13 Feb 2007, 12:42   #16
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Yeah that was sarcasm.