User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 16:58   #1
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
weird wifi problem

I can connect to the internet directly via an ethernet connection to the modem, yet ive tried connecting two different routers to the computer via the lan connections and it doesn't work. Basically i can connect to the internet directly via the modem but the routers don't work?!! i've tried different cables but nothing seems to happen. The router powerlights come on but the lights showing an LAN connection stay off. Anyone got any ideas?
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:03   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: weird wifi problem

I first thought it said 'Weird Wife Problem' .. bit disappointing now...

hardware malfunction is my idea...
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:03   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have a button on my laptop which says 'wireless'. Until I pressed it I coud only use the ne through a wire.

If you don't have that special button I think 'fn+F2' might do it.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:23   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I presume you've tried different cables - and I can't remember which way round the faggotry works, but is it definitely a cross-over or straight-through or whatever the **** it's called?

If your network card/port can connect to the modem then obviously it's not the network card/port.
If you've tried two different routers (and presumably, all the ports on said routers) it's not that likely to be the routers (but could be)

When it's connected to the router (physically) ignoring the lights, can you ping the router? What happens if you factory reset the router? And do the routers work with other PCs?

edit : Actually, I think I've misunderstood the problem. How is this a wifi problem? Does the router work with cables but not wireless?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:33   #5
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

How do i ping the router? I said wifi problem because, well the original router i had 'stopped working' all the lights were on but i couldn't connect to it. I may be clutching at straws here but could it be something to do with mac addresses* i can only connect to the internet using one computer, the other one doesn't seem to work even with a direct ethernet connection. I have no idea what mac addresses are but i vaguely seem to remember someone mentioning them once somewhere else.

* this may be bullshit
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:38   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Your router should have an IP address of something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or something like that.

The manual of your router should tell you what it is by default. (What's the model number btw?)

Go to Start=>Run and 'cmd'
Type 'ping 192.168.0.1'
Press Enter

And see what happens.

Or you can go into Internet Explorer and type in the address bar 'http://192.168.0.1' and then click on 'Go'. That will (if it works) allow you to access a sort of status / config page (after prompting for a password). But that's all in the manual. If the lights aren't working admittedly none of this is likely to work.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:39   #7
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

try to look up the manual of the router, the most router ( if not all ) need some manual configuration like user and pass,
in the manual there should be a description how you can set up the router ( like dhcp and other things), some are coming with a cd and a setup programm, some other are configurable via ip adress. try to find that part in the manual. and plz post the model of the router here, perhaps somebody has a link to the manual
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:41   #8
milo

netgear wpn824
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:42   #9
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

If the IP of your router isn't one of the mentioned above, do this:

Start
Run
Type "cmd" -> Press Enter
Type "ipconfig /all" -> Press Enter
Look for the 'Default Gateway' Line
Follow the steps given by Dante above to ping the address given on that line.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:51   #10
milo

ie tried bypassing the usual setup and using the 'dhcp' process, but again the lan light doesn't come on on the router, so nothing happens. I can connect directly to the modem, and the router powerlight comes on, but the lan lights don't come on when i connect to the computer. Marv i tried what you said, there was no default gateway line and it seemed to give physical addresses not ips?!!?
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:53   #11
milo

i can't connect to the internet using any other computer! only this laptop will connect via the ethernet connection.

edit this shit has only happened because richard ****ing branson has taken over, bastard bastard virgin media.
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:55   #12
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
ie tried bypassing the usual setup and using the 'dhcp' process, but again the lan light doesn't come on on the router, so nothing happens. I can connect directly to the modem, and the router powerlight comes on, but the lan lights don't come on when i connect to the computer. Marv i tried what you said, there was no default gateway line and it seemed to give physical addresses not ips?!!?
That would suggest that the router isn't transmitting anything at all.

Phsyical Address is the serial type number of your network card it's self.

The fact that no IPs are shown at all suggests either a problem with your card or the router. Are you sure it is pluged in (obvious but you'd be surprised)?

Can you connect to the router with out the modem plugged in?

Is the router a modem router? If so then you don't need the external modem.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 17:58   #13
Marv
Jazz Man

I think your router has a modem built in.

Connect the phone line into it if it has a slot for it then connect using your network card.

I think your problem is you're using an external router on a modem that already has its own build in.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:00   #14
milo

It doesn't say modem anywhere I was concious of not doing an idi, the system requirements say

'Broadband (cable, DSL) Internet service and modem with Ethernet connection'
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:02   #15
Marv
Jazz Man

Tired resetting it using the reset button on the bottom / back?

You'll have to jab a pencil or some other fine pointy object in.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:13   #16
milo

Yeah, i tried resetting it. If i connect an ethernet connection to a computer and to a router i should be able to 'talk' to the router right? Even if the router isn't connected to a modem, the router should be able to talk to the computer, but it doesn't (well both don't)
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:15   #17
Marv
Jazz Man

Yes it should. It may be some wierd config problem.

Check the manual / online manual that is for the router, see what it says about setup.

I am stumped now I must admit

I'll have a think on the way home.

Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:19   #18
milo

hahaha ive just pinged my orignal d-link router and it pinged

im not saying im getting hot and bothered but i am saying im ready to kill someone
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:20   #19
milo

right im going to try cloning the mac address from my laptop to the router and pray.

well thats the plan, i have no ****ing idea if it'll work
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 18:33   #20
milo

IM THE DADDY

but seriously i hate virgin media, for future reference some people may have their mac addresses locked and/or limited. If you ISP don't allow free use you'll probably have to clone the mac address of one computer or plug in a new computer, try to log on, fail switch everything off and unplug modem and hope the isp picks up the new mac overnight
Unread 20 Feb 2007, 19:22   #21
Marv
Jazz Man

Hoorah! Glad you got it sorted mate

Unread 21 Feb 2007, 00:03   #22
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Cloning MAC addresses

All i will say is that tiscali are ****ing shit.
Unread 21 Feb 2007, 15:15   #23
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

i still dont know why cloning of a mac should solve your connection problem.
perhaps you can set one port of the router as "uplink" or normal port, and the reset fixed that.

tbh
no clue
sale is offline   Reply With Quote