User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:45   #1
DragonLord

Deletions and Round 10 and Attitudes

Well well well.

What a messy situation we have gotten into. A high profile closure for cheating.

The first thing that should be made clear is cheating is wrong its not allowed and it should be dealt with. I am sure we all agree on that.

Good. Secondly we all agree that alliances are important to the game and strategically advantangeous to be in.

Doing well so far.

So where is the problem here?

A player has been deleted as you would expect to be deleted if you were caught cheating. Lets try this the other way around.

Putting aside alliances and such things. If you planet was attacked and successfully roided by a cheating planet you WOULD want that planet closed.

I am sure we all agree on that.

So again i am forced to ask where is the problem here? a planet has been closed for cheating its simple. Or it should be....

But along comes Mr Alliance with all its powerful mighty members. Maybe some are cheaters, maybe they ain't. I dont want to accuse player who want to play the game properly but it is know that some people cheat. The know it just as you and i know it. But anyway returning to the point. Mr Alliance comes along and the HC or whatever (i dont know the particulars heard them forgot them kinda thing) who was closed suddenly has defence.

SO WHAT. I am afraid in my opinion a cheat is a cheat. You cant claim they are innocent just because you are in their Alliance just like a planet will NOT be closed just because you attack someone and they dont like it.

I am afraid that people are judging the actions of PA HQ because they effect them personally rather than because the planet closures are correct and proper. This is think is unfair.

All allegations and reports are investigated properly before action is taken. Its not difficult if you dont want to be deleted then dont break the rules.

I just hope that all this messy business with account closing and such will clear up soon.

My Message for all the Alliance members affected by closed planets is simple. Look at it from the victim of the cheating's point of view. How do you think they feel they have paid to play a game only to have it spoilt by someone who is unable to play the game properly and with the required level of skill to be successful.

MAKE ME EAT MY WORDS DONT CHEAT.

Next on my little list of aggrivations is round 10 travel and the number of people saying they are not playing round 10 (even though some already have accounts).

To you guys i say stop being so stupid.

Round 9 was always going to be the same old same old. It is a round that exists to keep the game running while a new exciting round is planned.

We have been promised big improvements and almost an entirely new game for round 10. Obviously the same concept but thats what we all play Planetarion for.

However it angers me that people aren't even willing to give this round a chance.

Why ? I dont understand it ?

The Game you all know and love or loved is getting BETTER surely thats a good thing. Surely you should be supporting this game your game of choice. Making it grow attracting more people.

Both you and I know what a good game Planetarion can be all you need to do is have a little faith in the creators. (waits for laughter)

I ain't saying Round 10 will be the Best ever, nor am i saying it will be the worst. But after playing Planetarion for so long now i at least am willing to give it a chance.

Spinner posted suggestions for how the travel system may work in Round 10. He asked for opinions.

However sadly again many people took this as an opportunity to diss the game and the direction it was going because they didn't like the travel system or one of the changes that may be made.

Please note 2 things. Firstly the word MAY. This may happen not this will happen. Secondly SUGGESTIONS. If you dont like it say so if you have a better idea say so. The Game is designed for you to play.

Instead of dissing the Creators and Ideas why not actually do something construction and get involved help them shape the game YOU want to play.

I hope that people who read this will at least think about what i have written and if any of it applies to you take a good think about what is really right and what is really wrong.

Until Next Time

-DragonLord

Last edited by DragonLord; 5 Apr 2003 at 10:00.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:50   #2
coza
Banned

coza is an unknown quantity at this point
I thnk

I think its coz people have become used to playing pa as it is.. and how it is atm is good
ppl dont want bollox new features and 40 tick traveltimes that takes away the whole point of the game...
lower travel times just means u should be more active....

and i cant see more ppl joining for round 10 coz quite frankly most ppl think its bollox

Round 10: The First N00b #1 planet (heh)

and as for cheating
i hear Rabba got closed
heh good coz tbh he is a ****e player
coza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:51   #3
DragonLord

Re: I thnk

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeyJordison
I think its coz people have become used to playing pa as it is.. and how it is atm is good
ppl dont want bollox new features and 40 tick traveltimes that takes away the whole point of the game...
lower travel times just means u should be more active....

and i cant see more ppl joining for round 10 coz quite frankly most ppl think its bollox

Round 10: The First N00b #1 planet (heh)

and as for cheating
i hear Rabba got closed
heh good coz tbh he is a ****e player

As With many things the travel time and things will need balancing hence why these are idea's. People think what is bollox the suggestion put forwards great then tell them dont sit there going bah this is crap bah this is crap. Actually get involved.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:54   #4
coza
Banned

heh

say for example i go roiding...

and i get a news scan eta 4

and he has defence.... then it will take years to get back..
its just gonna slow the game down to the point where no one will play or (a few will - the noobs who cant get a decent alliance)
*cough* NB3

they said a new game i dont think ppl expected wank stain stuff :P

and tbh its all crap :P

this is a war game
not a pink dress girly game that takes years to attack
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:55   #5
coza
Banned

One More

Where is Zeus , he wouldnt allow turd things to happen would he :P
he said recently on irc that he didnt think it would work..
clearleh he should not of left pa
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 09:59   #6
DragonLord

Re: heh

Quote:
say for example i go roiding...

and i get a news scan eta 4

and he has defence.... then it will take years to get back..
its just gonna slow the game down to the point where no one will play or (a few will - the noobs who cant get a decent alliance)
*cough* NB3

they said a new game i dont think ppl expected wank stain stuff :P

and tbh its all crap :P

this is a war game
not a pink dress girly game that takes years to attack
it might it might not. Wars take along time. Planetarion is a Real Time Strategy game. If forces more strategic play if that is the way it is finally done. You have to secure your area before proceeding out of it. Which i think makes the game alot more interesting and alliances more vital. Players should be welcoming this new idea. It finally means them fleets can constructivly be used and also forces a defensive and offensive element to the game which will give it new life. You cant diss it until you have tried it.

That is unfair. What people expect isn't always what they get. I am sure Round 10 will be a enjoyable round to play no matter what.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 10:02   #7
coza
Banned

It Just Means that people will launch out of cluster
say into a big cluster far awaythat has the #1 gal...
bound to get defence..

War Is About Killingyour opponent not about sprying them with perfume

How Will 38 ticks travel be interesting
atm there isnt much to do between ticks as they are
we will be bored ****less iff this goes in
im all for other changed but clearleh this sucks
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 10:04   #8
DragonLord

Quote:
bound to get defence..

You have more than one fleet. If you outstrech your resources you will get hurt. Hence the added strategy. Yes it means you cant just get a bunch of friends together and attack cause travel times may be different. It forces a lot more organisation and strategy into the game.

We will see what happens.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 10:18   #9
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Try reading what he actually wrote, and using some common sense:

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner

The coming example is just that, an example, the formula isnt nailed yet, but you get the idea:

We might have to make some sort of Maximum Travel Time, i.e. 24 hours each way, I dont know, we can discuss it?

That's all it is, an example used to illustrate a point. Nothing is set in stone, and nothing has been decided....he posted this example to create discussion, and find the best solution.

Please refrain from jumping to conclusions and making baseless arguments.

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting some sleep after 2 years of this nonsense...and I know I'm not the only one.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 10:33   #10
Konsul
Monkey in a Wheel

Konsul is an unknown quantity at this point
Another cheater goes down...just waiting for the others to follow.

Great work.
Konsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 10:51   #11
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Devo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
bound to get defence..

Oh for gods sake. You lot should read the ENTIRE post before you start coming up with all this rubbish. Spinner said at the end of his post that the ETA would probably be LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM VALUE of say 12-24 hours. And seeing how its only something they are THINKING ABOUT, this is not the time to be making decissions on if to play or not. It may be in rd 10. It may NOT be in rd 10. If it is, i'm sure it will be carefully worked out. Anyway, if your alliances didn't have 100000 members all napped together then you wouldn't be faced with the problem of not being able to find a target close to you.

Anyone else who posts 'ARG 38 hour travel = crap' should be covered in tar and dipped into feathers, and then given a sign saying "I can't read things before I post, that requires intelligence"

And yes, the cheating person deserves to stay closed.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Why are you quoting me in your signature?
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 13:15   #12
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Deletions and Round 10 and Attitudes

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonLord
Both you and I know what a good game Planetarion can be all you need to do is have a little faith in the creators. (waits for laughter)
Need I bother quote Spinner breaking numerous promises etc.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 18:59   #13
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Observation Open

I see two opinions here

1. Those moaning about the new travel times

and

2. Those telling ppl from opinion one to stop.

OK they are just ideas and haven't been set in stone but i see opinion one as a form of discussion albeit negative.

Opinion two:waste of effort so fcuk off

Observation Closed

Its also nice to see that the thread started talking about a/c deletion and has wandered into a new topic. Dont hurry and join you attention disorder class....HEH...I'm typing here pay attention!
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 23:22   #14
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Re: One More

Quote:
Where is Zeus , he wouldnt allow turd things to happen would he :P
he said recently on irc that he didnt think it would work..
clearleh he should not of left pa
I dont beleive I said the purposed idea, wouldnt work. I actually like the change in travel time idea, However, I dont beleive it will remove blocking or indeed is the best way to manage the obvious emergency alliance napping/blocking etc.. has brought to this game.

imho the best way to manage this emergency is through hardcoded of alliances in game, which I do hope pa hq is doing.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 23:26   #15
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: One More

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
However, I dont beleive it will remove blocking or indeed is the best way to manage the obvious emergency alliance napping/blocking etc.. has brought to this game.

imho the best way to manage this emergency is through hardcoded of alliances in game, which I do hope pa hq is doing.
somehow Zeus is talking sence since he isn't a creator anymore...
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 23:29   #16
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Re: One More

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
somehow Zeus is talking sence since he isn't a creator anymore...
Ive always talked sense u dog u
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 23:56   #17
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Hard coded Alliances:

Bonuses: {to make them enticing to use}
  • make a flatrate universe wide defence time via a hypernode which alows ulta fast defence to any member. i.e as if the defence was coming from incluster.
  • Allows planets to attack the same target without engaging each others fleets.
  • ADF- Alliance Defence Fleet which is funded by an alliance tax rate set by the HC, it can only defend 5 people at any one time.
  • Resource trading system between member worlds.
  • alliance Hypernode which allows the alliance to set a galaxy as a target nad hit it from anywhere in the universe at a flat rate(such as eta 12 at the start but can be improved to eta 9 or so)
Extras:
  • The HC can set wether the alliance is visible on the planet tags, if they do they get extra allowances for treaties(read further down to understand what i mean)
  • Each HC can see the member size of all other alliances as well as there political affiliations however they cannot see any info on where the people are located unless the HC of that alliance has set there members to "Not Hidden"
Politics & The Senate:
  • Alliances cannot have treaties between them unless they are set to "Visible/Not Hidden"
  • The Alliance Senate can limit blocks if they become too large or too powerful by imposing sanctions such as resource output reduction until the alliances dissolve there treaties.
  • wars: well if done properly the senate can negotiate a cease fire if the winning alliance alliance is decimating the losing party, and/or the losing party can pay reperations in order to end hostilities.
Treaties: {This is only possible if both alliances are visible}
  • State Of War - This is only possible if both alliances are visible and it enables a faster eta on attack as well as a higher combat effectiveness for fleets.
  • Non Aggression Pact - Fleets from these alliances will not engage in combat when in the same sector.
  • Mutual Assistance Pact - the 2 alliances can attack the same targets but cannot defend, also if an alliance declares war on one of them, the other automatically declares war on the the enemy of there partner.
  • Alliance - the 2 alliances can attack/defend each other and any alliance which declares war on war is imediatly at war with both.
  • Cease Fire - this treaty if for once a war has been resolved wether the losing alliance payed reperations to initiate it or wether the senate imposed the treaty in order to protect the game, it has a default time of 336ticks(14 days) but can be extended if one side pays the other to agree to it, or if they do it out of kindness.
The Senate:
  • 2 Reps of each alliance. but only one vote.
  • Advisory Board of 5 people inclueding spinner who moderate the Senate and make sure no blocks try to take over.
  • The ability to impose sanctions on blocks, and to limit the amount of treaties any alliance can have.
  • to end wars if they proove too destructive and harmful to the game.

Unalligned Planets Defence Fleet:
  • payed for by a tax from the alliances, i.e 5% of the funds payed into the alliances from its members.
  • will defend unallied planets from attack and give them the help thye need to go it alone.

This would need to be combined with a combat system where if there are 2 attackers from differen groups they would fight among themselves as well as amon the defenders.
Note: treaties such as naps will stop fleets from those alliances from engaging the others and braking the treaty.

And with the hardcoded alliances it would make blocking by conventional means totally suicidal and it would still allow smaller more vulnerable alliances the ability to band together.

Last edited by Morden; 6 Apr 2003 at 00:11.
Morden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:13   #18
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Morden
snip [/b]
read this earlier and after thinking bout it i like it a lot

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:26   #19
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
[*]to end wars if they proove too destructive and harmful to the game.
PA is a war game fs, not for 70 year old aunts who likes to have tea with sugar fs.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:30   #20
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
PA is a war game fs, not for 70 year old aunts who likes to have tea with sugar fs.
yes but there should be limitations in place to stop alliances bashing there opponents into leaving the game, if you cannot see that then you have a lot to learn.

if coded properly it would make it highly profitable to go solo and a lot more fun at all levels of playing.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:33   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
yes but there should be limitations in place to stop alliances bashing there opponents into leaving the game, if you cannot see that then you have a lot to learn.

if coded properly it would make it highly profitable to go solo and a lot more fun at all levels of playing.
In your idea, the one who controls the Senate, controls the game. So why should anyone care to play their planet, to run a good alliance, if the senate can just rule them down?

Its pointless.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:37   #22
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
In your idea, the one who controls the Senate, controls the game. So why should anyone care to play their planet, to run a good alliance, if the senate can just rule them down?

Its pointless.
the senate: made up from all the alliances,

it is moderated by an advisory board, perhaps the creatos, thus no single alliance can overall them, and it should be possible to leave the senate if you dont like there descisions.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:43   #23
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
the senate: made up from all the alliances,

it is moderated by an advisory board, perhaps the creatos, thus no single alliance can overall them, and it should be possible to leave the senate if you dont like there descisions.
lets take r3 as an exampel. The Triad of VtS, Fury and Reborn grows to strong for the other alliances. All the others starts to cry out in the senate, the senate votes that the Triad must bascily stop attacking. The Triad leaves the senate, and kills of the rest of the universe. Basicly your alliance sits in the senate, as long as it benefits from it. When it stops benefiting you, you leave. You have to, becouse if you get ahead, the others WILL sanction you.

Take r8. Titans/LDK/Virus would have been sanctioned by Fury/Fang/Tot/WP/Ely. Now try tell Heartshunter, Sliekas and <insert Virus HC here> that they should stop.. even thought their enemies are 2.5x times larger in membersize or something.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 01:55   #24
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
lets take r3 as an exampel. The Triad of VtS, Fury and Reborn grows to strong for the other alliances. All the others starts to cry out in the senate, the senate votes that the Triad must bascily stop attacking. The Triad leaves the senate, and kills of the rest of the universe. Basicly your alliance sits in the senate, as long as it benefits from it. When it stops benefiting you, you leave. You have to, becouse if you get ahead, the others WILL sanction you.
you dont seem to understand the benefits or point of it,
it is to encourage alliance to stop blocking, if there was a large block tha was dominating they would be sanctioned until they end there treaties with each other, if they left the senate they should not be able to have any treaties at all, and the shouldnt be able to sanction an alliance who is on its own and dominating,

its to help stop blocks, you seem to like them for some warped reason.

Quote:

Take r8. Titans/LDK/Virus would have been sanctioned by Fury/Fang/Tot/WP/Ely. Now try tell Heartshunter, Sliekas and <insert Virus HC here> that they should stop.. even thought their enemies are 2.5x times larger in membersize or something.
that is not the sort of issue that i meant and you know it, it is more like stopping weetnar from hitting vom for x ticks, it is to stop massive bocks forming to dominate the universe and if they do want to form blocks then they give everyone there member base because they cannot hide.

it also means that should they try to get around it by no using the in game system, that they will be at a huge dissadvantage because they will be slower on defence than the alliances using it.

tbh i prefer this way to restricting blocking than simply forcing all the current alliances to basicaly disband because there memberbase is all seperated to the extent that they cannot help each other.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 02:49   #25
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
it is to encourage alliance to stop blocking, if there was a large block tha was dominating they would be sanctioned until they end there treaties with each other, if they left the senate they should not be able to have any treaties at all, and the shouldnt be able to sanction an alliance who is on its own and dominating,

its to help stop blocks, you seem to like them for some warped reason.
Blocks have always been in pa, its not a problem. The Triad of r6 consisted of something like 600 players, in a 40k? universe. Thats less than 3% of the players. In r9, WEETNARFZ (or whatever you call it) was something like 60% of the active universe. And more than 25% of the total universe. Blocks arent a problem, huge powerblocks who is a wast percentage of the universe is.

I agree that steps must be taken to ensure that something like r9 cant happen. I belive the best thing to do, is to have a total random round.

Quote:

that is not the sort of issue that i meant and you know it, it is more like stopping weetnar from hitting vom for x ticks, it is to stop massive bocks forming to dominate the universe and if they do want to form blocks then they give everyone there member base because they cannot hide.

it also means that should they try to get around it by no using the in game system, that they will be at a huge dissadvantage because they will be slower on defence than the alliances using it.

tbh i prefer this way to restricting blocking than simply forcing all the current alliances to basicaly disband because there memberbase is all seperated to the extent that they cannot help each other.
I dont think we disagree alot, we both want to get rid of the powerblocks (and superpowerblocks ofc). But I dont like the idea to hardcore alliances into the game. And I dont trust Spinner or alot of the HC's in this game. Many of the alliance HC's have shown themselfs to be real lamers this round
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 03:34   #26
Perfection
Autonomous

Perfection will become famous soon enoughPerfection will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Going back to the example, what if Fury and Legion were to dissolve their alliance 'in-game' and then just sit out the round? Fair enough a Legion player might not be able to defend the Fury bloke with incs, but this is r3 and there is no shortage of defence in either alliance.

Hardcoded alliances, to be effective in restricting powerblocks, must border on forcing the players to attack alliance X or Y. When you create a game like Planetarion, and then proceed to introduce an almost linear style plot sequence where the games owners tell you what to do and who to attack.

Quote:
Blocks have always been in pa, its not a problem. The Triad of r6 consisted of something like 600 players, in a 40k? universe. Thats less than 3% of the players. In r9, WEETNARFZ (or whatever you call it) was something like 60% of the active universe. And more than 25% of the total universe. Blocks arent a problem, huge powerblocks who is a wast percentage of the universe is.

I agree that steps must be taken to ensure that something like r9 cant happen. I belive the best thing to do, is to have a total random round.
Simple yet effective. WEETNAR could not of existed in a random universe, everybody knows that. 1000 members, theres like 500 galaxies out there, so 2 members pr gal. Creates a nightmare scenario for alliance HCs certainly.

A larger playerbase also, if an alliances attacks are more spread out people seem to feel the problem less. If r3 was the best example of stagnation (A small % of the uni, owning a far greater % of the score) then i certainly didnt feel it as much as r5 or r7. Of course this is easier said than done
Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 03:36   #27
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
I dont think we disagree alot, we both want to get rid of the powerblocks (and superpowerblocks ofc). But I dont like the idea to hardcore alliances into the game. And I dont trust Spinner or alot of the HC's in this game. Many of the alliance HC's have shown themselfs to be real lamers this round
indeed, perhaps the senate would hae oo much power, but bth even without the senate, the above alliance idea would help to limit blocking simply because it would reveal there memberlist.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 10:44   #28
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
DONT CHEAT AN DRINK q_p
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote