User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 07:26   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
New Shiny Weaponry

I wonder what the US has invented in the last 10 years that they are dying to test on Iraq.

I heard exciting news about e-bombs and a new brand of daisy cutter...
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 07:42   #2
KoRnNut
Friendly Hitman

KoRnNut is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone thinks Elian Gonzalez was some cute little refuge. In reality though, he was the new shiney weapon you seem so eager to learn more about. I can't say too much, or my life may be in danger.....but I'll clue you in a little bit about how PROJECT E.L.I.A.N. works.

We're going to bring him back to Miami, FL in a secret US Navy nuclear submarine. Then we're going to build the largest slingshot ever concieved in human history. Then we're going to go steal Al Bundy's old rusty Buick and shove Marcy Darcy in the trunk and strap down E.L.I.A.N. on the hood. Then this gigantic slingshot will launch this weapon of mass destruction towards Iraq with the utmost caution not to accidentally hit France accidentally.

I can't tell you the precise details of how massive the devistation would be at ground zero. All I can say is that 'you can't fight in here, this is the war room!'. Figure it out yourself, smart guy.

What can I say that you can't say better?
KoRnNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 08:06   #3
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
The Vacuum bomb.

Dunno much about it but they very eager to try it out, kinda like a small nuke without the radiation i hear.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 08:07   #4
KoRnNut
Friendly Hitman

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
kinda like a small nuke without the radiation i hear.
Kinda like a huge contradiction without the contradicting?

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 08:11   #5
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by KoRnNut
Kinda like a huge contradiction without the contradicting?

Pft, about 25% powerfull as a 1 kiloton nuke. No radiation because its not using uranium or any kind of fission/fusion chain-reaction or compression means to go bang...

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 08:46   #6
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
Pft, about 25% powerfull as a 1 kiloton nuke. No radiation because its not using uranium or any kind of fission/fusion chain-reaction or compression means to go bang...
No.

It's called a Thermobaric bomb. It was used in Afghanistan for bunker clearing missions.

Basically what it does is suck up all the air in an enclosed space. This causes people's lungs to be forcibly removed through their mouths. Not very pretty.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:07   #7
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
God what **** you people talk. And yeah, I mean the **** about the termobaric bombs.

It's simply an explosive that takes longer time to explode, and as such stretches the effect of the shock wave into time, making sure it travels further and does more damage in enclosed places (like a bunker). It does not create a vacuum (like any bomb, it creates a shockwave, which is a wave of high preasure followed by low preasure.), it does not "suck the lungs out of your mouth"; if you survive the mechanic energy in the shockwave, handling the preasure differential is nothing.

And kiloton is a measurement of the energy released in a bomb blast. One kiloton of energy is defined to be 10^12 calories of energy. A "1 kiloton nuke" is not as "powerful" (if you count "powerful" as ability to do mechanical deformation) as a 1 kiloton conventional bomb, since a nuke will release a greater degree of that 10^12 calories as radiation.

The entire buisness of comparing to nuclear weapons is silly anyway, as nuclear weapons ranges wildly in size and yield...
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:15   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
And kiloton is a measurement of the energy released in a bomb blast. One kiloton of energy is defined to be 10^12 calories of energy.
I always thought it was bit more indirect than that. So a kiloton was related to tonnes of TNT. So a 1 kiloton nuke was very vaguely "equal" to one thousand tonnes of TNT in explosive force. Obviously this is then rated, as you say to 10^12, etc, etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:35   #9
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
I always thought it was bit more indirect than that. So a kiloton was related to tonnes of TNT. So a 1 kiloton nuke was very vaguely "equal" to one thousand tonnes of TNT in explosive force. Obviously this is then rated, as you say to 10^12, etc, etc.
The original definition was that 1kiloton was the same explosive force as in one thousand tons of TNT. But the explosive power of TNT varies, and a better definition was needed, thus it's now defined in terms of energy released.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:40   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by W
The original definition was that 1kiloton was the same explosive force as in one thousand tons of TNT. But the explosive power of TNT varies, and a better definition was needed, thus it's now defined in terms of energy released.
There's actually a sliding scale it's just not very widely used...

1 kiloton - Oooh, big bang and pretty lights!
2 kiloton - Ouch, that hurt!
5 kiloton - Jesus!
10 kiloton - Holy ****!
100 kiloton - Oh ****!
1 megatonne - Our father which art in heaven...
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 09:56   #11
KoRnNut
Friendly Hitman

See, this is why I simplified things with PROJECT E.L.I.A.N.. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, everyone is a winner with PROJECT E.L.I.A.N.!

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:05   #12
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
If you watch discovery channel you can see those little animations that when a 20 megaton bomb explodes on new york what kind of blast radius it would have.

If the animations are correct 'one' high yield nuke takes out just about one complete state and the edges of the surrounding ones.
So for instance throw one on europe and you get 10-12 countries.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:14   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
If you watch discovery channel you can see those little animations that when a 20 megaton bomb explodes on new york what kind of blast radius it would have.

If the animations are correct 'one' high yield nuke takes out just about one complete state and the edges of the surrounding ones.
If you happen to be targetting Luxembourg...
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:15   #14
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida

12 countries kinda is europe, Parra.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 17:19   #15
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
There's actually a sliding scale it's just not very widely used...

1 kiloton - Oooh, big bang and pretty lights!
2 kiloton - Ouch, that hurt!
5 kiloton - Jesus!
10 kiloton - Holy ****!
100 kiloton - Oh ****!
1 megatonne - Our father which art in heaven...

this about sums it up
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote