User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Mar 2009, 20:29   #1
Devlin

Devlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura about
Stats recommendation

I typed this up in #support and atm I cba to retype it so hear it it

[3/16/09 03:22:11pm] <Devlin> I HAVE A RECOMMENDATION
[3/16/09 03:22:11pm] <Devlin> :>
[3/16/09 03:22:25pm] <Devlin> make fleet composition suggestions on the produxction screen
[3/16/09 03:22:51pm] <Devlin> as it is now you have to stare at the stats screen for at least an hour and run various battles through ur head taking into account dmg armor emp resist and most importantly init
[3/16/09 03:22:57pm] <Devlin> and this clearly doesnt work well for new players
[3/16/09 03:23:05pm] <Devlin> as is evident here http://game.planetarion.com/showscan...22q4g03ecygyhs
[3/16/09 03:23:27pm] <Devlin> the guy has 100 of each ship and 300 of each cr/bs
[3/16/09 03:23:29pm] <Devlin> :S
[3/16/09 03:24:06pm] <Devlin> higlight the important ships for offense in red and defense in green and note what races theyre good against
[3/16/09 03:24:43pm] <Devlin> this would become a lot less work if you guys also stopped changing stats for the sake of changing stats. 32 rounds in and the stats still change drasitcally each round. balance > change
[3/16/09 03:26:36pm] <Devlin> to give an analogy, starcraft doesnt drasticaly change the balance of their races each year out of fear that their players will get bored
[3/16/09 03:26:43pm] <Devlin> instead they built a solid game around balanced races
[3/16/09 03:27:10pm] <Devlin> you dont see them saying oh well our zerg players may grow bored so lets give the zerglings armor closer to the zealots and let's change the dragoon to a melee unit
[3/16/09 03:27:11pm] <Devlin> :S
[3/16/09 03:27:23pm] <+Spritfire> http://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
[3/16/09 03:27:33pm] <Devlin> ill just c+p this
[3/16/09 03:27:35pm] <Devlin>
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 21:18   #2
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
Re: Stats recommendation

i donīt think it will help as some "nubs" are pretty immune to any kind of advice you give em
they just do what they want to do ("why should i play as you tell me, i want to play like i want to play")
no matter if they go down with it (which they do) or not
you canīt help some of em (i tried)

ofc others are realy willing to learn

however i dont think you can point out the deeper strategy behind the stats with a few colours here and there
specially as there is so many diffrent ways to play a race

i agree though that we dont need new stats every round (as long they are decent ones)
some tweaks should do it and we can play the next round with the same set if its about me

will most likely miss the 3 weeks of waiting for/discussing about/deciding on a race to pick
but iīll survive that

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 21:34   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

suggestion > requirement

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 21:42   #4
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
i donīt think it will help as some "nubs" are pretty immune to any kind of advice you give em
they just do what they want to do ("why should i play as you tell me, i want to play like i want to play")
no matter if they go down with it (which they do) or not
you canīt help some of em (i tried)
SimplyApe
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 21:53   #5
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

We dont need 5 races
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 03:55   #6
Devlin

Devlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, we certainly didn't need a 5th race and 3rd/4th podclass when the first 4 races and 2 attackfleets weren't properly balanced in the first place. Yet another attempt at spicing things up at the expense of balanced gameplay.
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 08:53   #7
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with OP.
There's no need to change stats every goddamn round, just make a set of balanced stats and give them some minor tweaks if needed.

Also liked the idea of giving some suggestions in production on what to build, what it's good against, ....
Just make sure it's accurate so we don't have stuff like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan prod screen
Spectre Battleship Bs -- -- Cloaked 210 210 210 ****
The returning Spectre packs a heavy punch capable of tearing apart any battleship or cruiser it comes up against.
That's just 1 example but almost everything i've looked at that has some more information about the ship is just wrong (atleast for xan), and when I say wrong, I really mean WRONG. Sometimes it doesn't even mention the correct ship, not to mention what it targets ...

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 11:00   #8
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
That's just 1 example but almost everything i've looked at that has some more information about the ship is just wrong (atleast for xan), and when I say wrong, I really mean WRONG. Sometimes it doesn't even mention the correct ship, not to mention what it targets ...
I reported this early in the round and was told they'd look at it.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to make up the descrptions and input them. It should have been done.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 11:32   #9
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
Yeah, we certainly didn't need a 5th race and 3rd/4th podclass when the first 4 races and 2 attackfleets weren't properly balanced in the first place. Yet another attempt at spicing things up at the expense of balanced gameplay.
I disagree, I think the fact there is extra pods has made the game far more interesting. It allows you to develop your own stratergy as opposed to just going with the 'norm'. I agree with minor tweeks from now on though!
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 11:35   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
at the expense of balanced gameplay.
[citation needed]
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 19:37   #11
Devlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
[citation needed]
I didn't think it needed to be cited tbh. It's common knowledge that if the stats people failed to balance 4 races with 2 podclasses (8 pods), changing it to 5 races with 3 or 4 podclasses (~17 pods) before balancing the first 8 pods would only result in further imbalance.
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 19:55   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Balance is usually drastically over-rated at the expense of fun.
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 20:24   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I didn't think it needed to be cited tbh. It's common knowledge that if the stats people failed to balance 4 races with 2 podclasses (8 pods), changing it to 5 races with 3 or 4 podclasses (~17 pods) before balancing the first 8 pods would only result in further imbalance.
Do you believe this round's stats are more unbalanced than last round's? Why?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 20:28   #14
Devlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Do you believe this round's stats are more unbalanced than last round's? Why?
I haven't played since r23 but it still seems that every round there's at least one gimped race and one overpowered one.