User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Sep 2005, 04:44   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

an examination of the lining of the esophagus stomach and upper duodenum using a flexible endoscope inserted down the throat

and now the longest single word title for a thread on these forums. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Medical professionals need to use plain language to create names for medical procedures, because there are other people besides them that care about medical related information: their patients. I'm tired of the power structure of health care, it's out of control. I believe the people suffering from illness need to be the center of health research, and not the disease. Long names like these are just a tell tale sign oh how out of touch, academic, and esoteric health care has become. When 1 out of every 2 (American) men will contract cancer, and 2 out of 3 women, it's time for things to change.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 04:49   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

I suppose we could call it periscopy-stomach-thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
When 1 out of every 2 (American) men will contract cancer, and 2 out of 3 women, it's time for things to change.
You heard it here first kids, long words cause cancer!
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 05:03   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Long names like these are just a tell tale sign oh how out of touch, academic, and esoteric health care has become.
Given that specific latin technical names have been in vogue for some centuries I'm at a loss as to how it relates to the understanding of the technical fields in medicine by the average american given that the practice is actually older than the country.

I didn't know that in america patients had to know the precise technical terms for everything that could possibly be involved in caring for them in hospitals or similar entities. Announcing my opinion that a large percentage of the american populace would not be able to voice the technical chemical name for such things as popular painkillers or even more esoteric drugs could sure have left egg on my face!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 06:28   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Given that specific latin technical names have been in vogue for some centuries I'm at a loss as to how it relates to the understanding of the technical fields in medicine by the average american given that the practice is actually older than the country.

I didn't know that in america patients had to know the precise technical terms for everything that could possibly be involved in caring for them in hospitals or similar entities. Announcing my opinion that a large percentage of the american populace would not be able to voice the technical chemical name for such things as popular painkillers or even more esoteric drugs could sure have left egg on my face!
tbh honest I just wanted to post a thread with a long title and was trying to think of something to say so it wouldn't get deleted. :0
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 09:21   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
tbh honest I just wanted to post a thread with a long title and was trying to think of something to say so it wouldn't get deleted. :0
Also good!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 10:41   #6
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

it is a proper name the describes the areas being investigated and with what (endoscope)
in this case an esophagoscopy and an gastroscopy done at the same time.

The short name for the procedures of this type is an endoscopy, but ofcourse this doesnt describe the where for the investigation
and it would be a waste of time and increase the discomfort for patients to look at every bit inside all of them.

m
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 12:34   #7
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
it is a proper name the describes the areas being investigated and with what (endoscope)

The short name for the procedures of this type is an endoscopy, but ofcourse this doesnt describe the where for the investigation
and it would be a waste of time and increase the discomfort for patients to look at every bit inside all of them.

m
Smart arse.

(My informative input in this thread)
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:46   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
m
If we wanted a language that did that, we'd choose German. To invent new words, they just stick together words that describe it.
"Very logical" as my German teacher kept saying. While I was trying to work out what all that damn German meant.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 14:43   #9
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

A doctor once performed a vaginoscopy on me. It hurt.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 14:55   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Go have a mio-cardial infarction you ****er!!

(not really)
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:03   #11
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
and now the longest single word title for a thread on these forums. HAHAHAHAHAHA
You just wait until I create my 'zweitausendundzwanzigneun' thread.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:13   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
If we wanted a language that did that, we'd choose German.
The medical profession obviously did, except they chose latin.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:28   #13
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
You just wait until I create my 'zweitausendundzwanzigneun' thread.
you mean zweitausendneunundzwanzige ?
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:37   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm pretty sure there's a word used in genetics which is 200,000 letters long or something equally sick.

The longest word cited by the Guinness Book of Records, which allegedly represents the name for human mitochondrial DNA, is 207,000+ letters long.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 29 Sep 2005 at 15:48.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:45   #15
Arachnidman
You love me really

ACETYLSERYLTYROSYLSERYLISOLEUCYLTHREONYLSERYLPROLYLSERYL*GLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLVALYLPHENYLALANYLLEUC YLSERYLSERYLVALYL*TRYPTOPHYLALANYLASPARTYLPROLYLISOLEUCYLGLUTAMYLLEUCYLLEUCYL*ASPARAGINYLVALYLCYSTEI NYLTHREONYLSERYLSERYLLEUCYLGLYCYL*ASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLGLUTAMINYLTHREONYLGLUTAMINYL*GLUT AMINYLALANYLARGINYLTHREONYLTHREONYLGLUTAMINYLVALYL*GLUTAMINYLGLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLSERYLGLUTAMINYLVA LYLTRYPTOPHYL*LYSYLPROLYLPHENYLALANYLPROLYLGLUTAMINYLSERYLTHREONYLVALYL*ARGINYLPHENYLALANYLPROLYLGLY CYLASPARTYLVALYLTYROSYLLYSYLVALYL*TYROSYLARGINYLTYROSYLASPARAGINYLALANYLVALYLLEUCYLASPARTYL*PROLYLLE UCYLISOLEUCYLTHREONYLALANYLLEUCYLLEUCYLGLYCYLTHREONYL*PHENYLALANYLASPARTYLTHREONYLARGINYLASPARAGINYL ARGINYLISOLEUCYL*ISOLEUCYLGLUTAMYLVALYLGLUTAMYLASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYLGLUTAMINYL*SERYLPROLYLTHREONYLTH REONYLALANYLGLUTAMYLTHREONYLLEUCYL*ASPARTYLALANYLTHREONYLARGINYLARGINYLVALYLASPARTYLASPARTYL*ALANYLT HREONYLVALYLALANYLISOLEUCYLARGINYLSERYLALANYLASPARAGINYL*ISOLEUCYLASPARAGINYLLEUCYLVALYLASPARAGINYLG LUTAMYLLEUCYLVALYL*ARGINYLGLYCYLTHREONYLGLYCYLLEUCYLTYROSYLASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYL*ASPARAGINYLTHREONYL PHENYLALANYLGLUTAMYLSERYLMETHIONYLSERYL*GLYCYLLEUCYLVALYLTRYPTOPHYLTHREONYLSERYLALANYLPROLYLALANYL*S ERINE
=
Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.

This word has appeared in the American Chemical Society's Chemical Abstracts and is thus considered by some to be the longest real word.

1,185 characters by the way.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 15:48   #16
Arachnidman
You love me really

I was going to create a new thread with that in the title, but it wouldn't fit...
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 16:07   #17
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
you mean zweitausendneunundzwanzige ?
I mean whatever babelfish tells me to mean.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 00:08   #18
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
ACETYLSERYLTYROSYLSERYLISOLEUCYLTHREONYLSERYLPROLYLSERYL*GLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLVALYLPHENYLALANYLLEUC YLSERYLSERYLVALYL*TRYPTOPHYLALANYLASPARTYLPROLYLISOLEUCYLGLUTAMYLLEUCYLLEUCYL*ASPARAGINYLVALYLCYSTEI NYLTHREONYLSERYLSERYLLEUCYLGLYCYL*ASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLGLUTAMINYLTHREONYLGLUTAMINYL*GLUT AMINYLALANYLARGINYLTHREONYLTHREONYLGLUTAMINYLVALYL*GLUTAMINYLGLUTAMINYLPHENYLALANYLSERYLGLUTAMINYLVA LYLTRYPTOPHYL*LYSYLPROLYLPHENYLALANYLPROLYLGLUTAMINYLSERYLTHREONYLVALYL*ARGINYLPHENYLALANYLPROLYLGLY CYLASPARTYLVALYLTYROSYLLYSYLVALYL*TYROSYLARGINYLTYROSYLASPARAGINYLALANYLVALYLLEUCYLASPARTYL*PROLYLLE UCYLISOLEUCYLTHREONYLALANYLLEUCYLLEUCYLGLYCYLTHREONYL*PHENYLALANYLASPARTYLTHREONYLARGINYLASPARAGINYL ARGINYLISOLEUCYL*ISOLEUCYLGLUTAMYLVALYLGLUTAMYLASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYLGLUTAMINYL*SERYLPROLYLTHREONYLTH REONYLALANYLGLUTAMYLTHREONYLLEUCYL*ASPARTYLALANYLTHREONYLARGINYLARGINYLVALYLASPARTYLASPARTYL*ALANYLT HREONYLVALYLALANYLISOLEUCYLARGINYLSERYLALANYLASPARAGINYL*ISOLEUCYLASPARAGINYLLEUCYLVALYLASPARAGINYLG LUTAMYLLEUCYLVALYL*ARGINYLGLYCYLTHREONYLGLYCYLLEUCYLTYROSYLASPARAGINYLGLUTAMINYL*ASPARAGINYLTHREONYL PHENYLALANYLGLUTAMYLSERYLMETHIONYLSERYL*GLYCYLLEUCYLVALYLTRYPTOPHYLTHREONYLSERYLALANYLPROLYLALANYL*S ERINE
The longest ordinary word is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanocoiosis
Its a lung disease caused by smoking, should be 43 or so characters (If I spelled it correctly off the top of my head )
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 00:09   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The longest ordinary word is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanocoiosis
Its a lung disease caused by smoking, should be 43 or so characters (If I spelled it correctly off the top of my head )
The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as "a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust." At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However, there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.

In this thread I am a working link to wikipedia.