User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:22   #1
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute
Need advice on where to stay in London....

Hello Friends!

As some of you may know, I am working in Canary Wharf soon, and need to think about finding a place to stay.

I am going to jump in and buy a place rather than rent (due to a lucrative financing opportunity that has recently arisen... )

Anyway, does anyone work around Canary Wharf? Where do you live?

What area do you think would be best to live in? This property is primarily an investment medium and a stepping stone to buying my mansion in a few years time.
So, I need to find a location which is well sought after, such that the value of my bachelor pad will rise as much as possible.

At the same time, I will be staying there so it can't be a complete shit hole, and I would like easy access to public transport and shops etc - and preferably a low population of chavs and theiving b*stards.

The area around Canary Wharf is pretty shit (limehouse, poplar, generally the whole Isle of Dogs).

Luckily, my offices are right next to the Docklands Light railway, which make places like Shadwell and Tower Gateway a mere 10 minute journey away.

Does anyone know of any accessible locations suitable for young professionals? my budget is around 210k max for a 1 bedroom place or 260k for a 2 bedroom. Ta.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:30   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Need advice on where to stay in London....

if you lived in mayfair you could just take the jubilee

or you could live in ken/chel and take the district and chage at westminster.

new properties are of poor construction and usually have silly levels of service charge (as well as being in souless areas) of course one could point out that half of docklands is built on reclaimed land fill and old canals but you'll notice that if you visit. (london's mosquito haven)
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:35   #3
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Chelsea for the last 5 years and have tested the commute which is an annoying 50min. I was hoping of somewhere just east of central like aldgate/monument where the property prices aren't allready over inflated... well, as much as chelsea/mayfair/green park etc...
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:39   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i wouldn't do east if i were you.

they've been saying it is 'up and coming' for years. it's a charming fiction to believe in but less convincing if you actually go there
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 00:41   #5
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Shoreditch, Docklands, Old Street/Clerkenwell is some that crept to my mind.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 01:14   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

When Al Quidea gets it's hands on some nukes you'll want to be as far away as possilble...

Though I hear the docklands is nice this time of year
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 01:23   #7
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
When Al Quidea gets it's hands on some nukes you'll want to be as far away as possilble...

Though I hear the docklands is nice this time of year
Are you suggesting Greenwich?
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 02:15   #8
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Buying property now is not really the best time to do it (the market is stalling and will drop a fraction within the next couple of years ... well i think so anyways).

[/2 pence]
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 02:23   #9
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I refuse to answer any further questions as it may compromise agents in the field*

*make me look a tit
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 13:04   #10
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Buying property now is not really the best time to do it (the market is stalling and will drop a fraction within the next couple of years ... well i think so anyways).

[/2 pence]
Buying property at any time is always the best time to do it.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 14:14   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
My friend does. He lives in Greenwich with his girlfriend. He has a very nice flat with a view of the Thames and is happy. I think they pay something like £1k (per month) together.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 14:37   #12
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I used to live in Rotherhithe. I really enjoyed my time there, despite it being in scabby East London.

I lived in a 1st and 2nd floor two story appartment with views from the lounge accross at Canary Wharf - Which during the day is rather ugly, but at night was rather stunning. It was nice to sit out on my balcony in the evenings.

My three flat mates used to catch the boat across the river to Canary Wharf everyday. And for access to the rest of London you have the Jubilee line near by.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 15:17   #13
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

My parents have a 70's build 3 bed house for sale that is going up for sale at around the £210K mark. You will be welcome to buy that if you like. Its in Forest Gate (zone 3), 10 minute walk to Stratford center and station, then 10 mins to canary wharf.

As a yound prodfessional you could do well to buy somewhere like this that will probably benefit from house price rises due to the Olympic bid but is still very affordable.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 15:19   #14
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
My parents have a 70's build 3 bed house for sale that is going up for sale at around the £210K mark. You will be welcome to buy that if you like. Its in Forest Gate (zone 3), 10 minute walk to Stratford center and station, then 10 mins to canary wharf.

As a yound prodfessional you could do well to buy somewhere like this that will probably benefit from house price rises due to the Olympic bid but is still very affordable.
pics?
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 15:30   #15
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
pics?
If you are interested I can get some, wont be for a few days though as I dont get round there much. Its being decorated at the moment to ready for sale.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 16:48   #16
Arachnidman
You love me really

If you don't have any handy, don't worry about it.

The Greenwich area seems quite nice but I'm leaning more towards Canada Water / Bermondsy I think. I need to find out what the max mortage I can get is first...
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 16:53   #17
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you don't have any handy, don't worry about it.

The Greenwich area seems quite nice but I'm leaning more towards Canada Water / Bermondsy I think. I need to find out what the max mortage I can get is first...
Buy a flat in my old building.

King Frederick Tower, Finland Street, Rotherhithe.

3 minutes on a bus from Canada Water tube station.

Views over at Canary Wharf.

5 minutes walk to the boat stop to Canary Wharf.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 17:16   #18
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
and preferably a low population of chavs and theiving b*stards..
Sorry, does not comply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
if you lived in mayfair you could just take the jubilee
I don't think the places there will be within Arachnidman's price range
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 17:28   #19
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach
Buy a flat in my old building.

King Frederick Tower, Finland Street, Rotherhithe.

3 minutes on a bus from Canada Water tube station.

Views over at Canary Wharf.

5 minutes walk to the boat stop to Canary Wharf.
Yep I've been looking at this area and it seems like quite a convenient place with the park/cinema/bowling alley etc and good transport.

Agh, this is confusing. Greenwich is also nice but too disconnected from Central so inconvenient for getting back from a night on the lash.

Does anyone live in Whitechapel? that seems like quite a good area, particularly nearer Aldgate seeing as it has Commercial Road running through it. Is it really that run-down?
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:04   #20
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Agh, this is confusing. Greenwich is also nice but too disconnected from Central so inconvenient for getting back from a night on the lash.
Greenwich Village is pretty cool and relatively quiet and peaceful unlike most inner borough areas but like you said it's disconnected. But if you get a car, I don't see it as a massive problem.

Quote:
Does anyone live in Whitechapel? that seems like quite a good area, particularly nearer Aldgate seeing as it has Commercial Road running through it. Is it really that run-down?
It is run down. Severely. Full of crack heads and trash.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:09   #21
Arachnidman
You love me really

I've just found a really nice place in rotherhithe/surrey quays right near Finland street where MrPeach used to stay. Its a nice 2 bedroom place (which looks like it has been decorated by a blind man, but is clean and structuraly pleasing) with a balcony overlooking Greenland Dock.

The only negative I give it at the moment is that its about 1km away from the nearest tube station. Mr Peach, if you're reading - how long did it normally take to walk it to surrey quays or canada water stations? ta
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:20   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It's fairly run down. There are attempts afoot at regeneration / gentrification (as always) but it's still mainly a working class neighbourhood.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:35   #23
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's fairly run down. There are attempts afoot at regeneration / gentrification (as always) but it's still mainly a working class neighbourhood.
Dante, ive noticed you live in Elephant & Castle (unless your avatar is completely ambiguous). What's that like? I've heared of the Metro Central Heights building which is really nice inside, but looks like a refugee camp from the outside. I hope you don't live there (in which case, it is an awesome place).
What's crime like down there? Everyime I go to Ministry I make sure I leave my decent bling at home, just because of the dodgy walk from the tube.

Bibliography: Metro Central Heights
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:49   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Dante, ive noticed you live in Elephant & Castle (unless your avatar is completely ambiguous). What's that like?
I actually live about 10 mins away, off the Walworth Road. I really like it here, but I can't imagine anyone with money wanting to live here. Personally if I was in your sitution, I'd buy a cheapish house in Blackheath, Forest Hill or somewhere like that. Yes, not as central, but you avoid the evils of service charges (already mentioned) and house prices seem to go up just as fast there anyway.
Quote:
What's crime like down there?
I've not had any trouble, neither have any of my housemates, but YMMV. There seems to be a murder / shooting approximately every two to three weeks, but that generally seems to be "black-on-black" crime.
Quote:
Everyime I go to Ministry I make sure I leave my decent bling at home, just because of the dodgy walk from the tube.
If you're intimidated by the bit around Ministry, I wouldn't recommend the area in general. That bit is much safer than some of the areas nearby with the larger council estates.

However, having said all this, there is going to be over a billion pounds spent on the Elephant and Castle area over the next ten years (or something like that) - with loads of new developments (e.g. demolishing and rebuilding the Heygate Estate) and hopefully ridding the area of the god-awful shopping centre. No doubt there'll be a knock-on effect which will raise house prices in the area considerably.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:51   #25
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Id suggest not living anywhere near Stockwell if you look remotely non-british.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:56   #26
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Id suggest not living anywhere near Stockwell if you look remotely non-british.
Even American?
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 00:00   #27
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Even American?
We can but hope .....
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 09:23   #28
MrPeach

Quote:
I've just found a really nice place in rotherhithe/surrey quays right near Finland street where MrPeach used to stay. Its a nice 2 bedroom place (which looks like it has been decorated by a blind man, but is clean and structuraly pleasing) with a balcony overlooking Greenland Dock.

The only negative I give it at the moment is that its about 1km away from the nearest tube station. Mr Peach, if you're reading - how long did it normally take to walk it to surrey quays or canada water stations? ta
About a 15 minute stroll.

However, I almost always caught the bus. They are fairly frequent, certainly frequent enough to ensure one would pass you if you tried to walk.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 10:01   #29
MrPeach

But I would strongly recommend catching the boat to work in the mornings.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 10:02   #30
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
Whitechapel is lovely, if you are bangladeshi.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 10:10   #31
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

one of the people i work with lives in whitechapel.
her advice is don't.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:25   #32
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach
But I would strongly recommend catching the boat to work in the mornings.
Yeah that sounds quite cool. My only problem is after a few drinks in canary wharf after work, I dont want to be trying to arrange a boat ride home - it would be a bit safer and manageable to get the tube I think.

Also, a 15 min stroll might be a bit annoying, because it is then followed by a 8 minute tube journey and another 7 minute stroll from canary wharf tube to my office.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:29   #33
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
Whitechapel is lovely, if you are bangladeshi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
one of the people i work with lives in whitechapel.
her advice is don't.
Yeh this sounds like the same sort of advice from the friends I have spoken to. I have pretty much scratched whitechapel off my list now.

btw MrPeach, was that 15 minutes to surrey quays or canada water? Is the area around Finsbury street nice and new like canada water or is it full of run down ex-council flats? ta.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:37   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Is the area around Finsbury street nice and new
I'm sorry what? you can't possibly talking about british architecture ....
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:38   #35
Arachnidman
You love me really

Canada water was newly built a few years ago. It is nice and new!
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:45   #36
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Hello Friends!

As some of you may know, I am working in Canary Wharf soon, and need to think about finding a place to stay.

I am going to jump in and buy a place rather than rent (due to a lucrative financing opportunity that has recently arisen... )

What area do you think would be best to live in? This property is primarily an investment medium and a stepping stone to buying my mansion in a few years time.
So, I need to find a location which is well sought after, such that the value of my bachelor pad will rise as much as possible.

At the same time, I will be staying there so it can't be a complete shit hole, and I would like easy access to public transport and shops etc - and preferably a low population of chavs and theiving b*stards.

The area around Canary Wharf is pretty shit (limehouse, poplar, generally the whole Isle of Dogs).

Luckily, my offices are right next to the Docklands Light railway, which make places like Shadwell and Tower Gateway a mere 10 minute journey away.

Does anyone know of any accessible locations suitable for young professionals? my budget is around 210k max for a 1 bedroom place or 260k for a 2 bedroom. Ta.
buy lots of property around where the olympics will be held.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:48   #37
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I think I spent too long in South Ken and Knightsbridge to be of much help. There are some nice places just of Cromwell Road though.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:50   #38
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Canada water was newly built a few years ago. It is nice and new!
I shall assume that by nice you mean hideous, soulless and vulgar ...
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:55   #39
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:

No, he meant nice and new. If he meant hideous, soulless and vulgar he would have said he wanted to live in a 60's concrete tower block.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:55   #40
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
and that's just his GD posts.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 22:47   #41
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Well that's Hackney and Stratford.

Quote:
No, he meant nice and new. If he meant hideous, soulless and vulgar he would have said he wanted to live in a 60's concrete tower block.
My building..... wait, it was built in the 50s.
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 12:46   #42
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
i wouldn't do east if i were you.

they've been saying it is 'up and coming' for years. it's a charming fiction to believe in but less convincing if you actually go there
The only part of the east worth living in, is the docklands development itself.

As a former east londoner who has just moved out into Essex, Yahwe is 110% right on this one. East London is a ****ing dive.

Canary Wharf itself is a bit of a bastard to get to, only real way there is on the Jubilee line in my opinion, or by living locally.

With the kind of budget you have, I'd probably look at moving onto the Canary Wharf site proper.
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 12:51   #43
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
For some reason, the Olympics didnt really bolster house prices the way we had all figured. We are selling our place in Plaistow (which is a 20 minute bus ride away from Stratford, where the shit will be held) but the price doesnt seem to have rocketed.

Demand is definately up, but because of the fact that everybody with a braincell is moving out of that east end shithole, prices havent followed.
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 13:22   #44
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i live in south-east london.

there ARE some nice areas but they basically constitute a street or two here and there and then surrounded by a lot of crap. barnehurst/bexleyheath/blackheath are alright. (oh bexleyheath is huge btw so do not go for anything there definitely without prior checking as there are areas of bexleyheath which are not so pleasant)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 14:19   #45
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Need advice on where to stay in London....

a WEB lol
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 15:42   #46
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Stay with Yahwe. Rent isn't that expensive, if you know what I mean.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote