User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 01:28   #1
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

... to write about 400 words about A round of Planetarion involving a bit of a description of the rules and the alliances that were formed for the new (and actually with content this time) portal history section.

Wanted:
R1-8 (400 words on each ish)

Rewards:
Nothing except your name credited on the place the text is - sorry :/

Please contact A2 on IRC or leave a note in this thread if you are interested in taking part.
Please make sure you say which round you're interested in writing about too
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 02:00   #2
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
erm im an old player dont know how much i can remember though i tend to forget what i did an hour ago let alone 2 years ago

but im sure i can contact a few of the old r1 lads if you like to get some information from them
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 02:19   #3
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Pick a round*

* as long as its round 1

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 02:22   #4
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by hinch
erm im an old player
I have always admired planetarion for the diverse age groups of players involved, but i dont believe that was what he meant
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 04:12   #5
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
... to write about 400 words about A round of Planetarion involving a bit of a description of the rules and the alliances that were formed for the new (and actually with content this time) portal history section.

Wanted:

Rewards:

Please contact A2 on IRC or leave a note in this thread if you are interested in taking part.
Word of warning: Be extremely careful in how you employ this. Every alliance has its own history, especially in regard to its impact within the round. The entire "who backstabbed who" issue really should be left out of it and imo you are going to need to edit what people say if you employ this as some sort of history thing.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 05:43   #6
Galadrieth

Galadrieth is an unknown quantity at this point
More then happy to help if you need me to
I love nothing better then to talk about the "good old days" when the game was more morales and less selfishness

<Arf^> The chance Akujin loses his virginty with another man, Gala, is 83%
Rnd 1 -=Krom of Kromulous-31:3:4=-
Rnd 2 -=Krom of Sumeria-24:15:4=-
Rnd 3 -=RaekOne of Omega=-34:10:4=-
Rnd 4 -=Galadrieth of The Chronic=178:11:3=-
Rnd 5 -=.Nosferatu Of Chaos Without Propechy=31:6:10=-
Galadrieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 09:18   #7
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
when i saw the title looked, thought it was a singles advert
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 09:25   #8
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Word of warning: Be extremely careful in how you employ this. Every alliance has its own history, especially in regard to its impact within the round. The entire "who backstabbed who" issue really should be left out of it and imo you are going to need to edit what people say if you employ this as some sort of history thing.
Afraid you might get 'branded' on the portal?
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 13:03   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
If the author of an article on Round 7 is Titans, Fury will be described as being backstabbing bastards, if the author is Fury, Titans will be described as fking up the alliance with the Valy incident.

If the author on R3 is Legion, they'll describe Wolfpack as a group of traitors who left them, if the author is Wolfpack, the article will say that Wolfpack was the original Legion, without all the dead weight.

If only one description of each round is chosen - it has to be unbiased or at least mention both points of view. If several articles are chosen per round, then it doesn't matter, as long as there is a good spread between articles.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:02   #10
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
If the author of an article on Round 7 is Titans, Fury will be described as being backstabbing bastards, if the author is Fury, Titans will be described as fking up the alliance with the Valy incident.

If the author on R3 is Legion, they'll describe Wolfpack as a group of traitors who left them, if the author is Wolfpack, the article will say that Wolfpack was the original Legion, without all the dead weight.

If only one description of each round is chosen - it has to be unbiased or at least mention both points of view. If several articles are chosen per round, then it doesn't matter, as long as there is a good spread between articles.
Quite.

Either more than one account should be given or at least each writer's political persuasion should be stated with their name.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:32   #11
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Leshy already answered for me. Our rivalry is over Parra, get a grip

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 15:06   #12
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
i've played since the second month of the first round, and i can remember most of the rounds since, and i've never been in an alliance bigger than ICD (who were like 7th in round 2) so i'm kind of unbiased (i hate all big alliances equally )

tell a lie... i do have preferences among big alliances... thought it has to be said, i used to like Fury, and now i don't, so who knows...
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:18   #13
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
400 words are woefully few to attempt to describe the political and military machinations of a lengthy and active round. i.e. While I'm sure the initial flurry in round 3 will be mentioned, once Fury/Legion attain power would the author insert the activities of the rest of the game who operated separately from L/F? i.e. 'minor' wars and so on.
And of course Zhil's point about bias is well made, adding to that the fact that any author will know more about one 'sphere' of the round than the others, and will hence inadvertently ignore many other important alliances/events in the process - Either because they did not directly affect them, or they simply have no knowledge of them.

BlueTuba
Patrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:30   #14
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrician
400 words are woefully few to attempt to describe the political and military machinations of a lengthy and active round. i.e. While I'm sure the initial flurry in round 3 will be mentioned, once Fury/Legion attain power would the author insert the activities of the rest of the game who operated separately from L/F? i.e. 'minor' wars and so on.
And of course Zhil's point about bias is well made, adding to that the fact that any author will know more about one 'sphere' of the round than the others, and will hence inadvertently ignore many other important alliances/events in the process - Either because they did not directly affect them, or they simply have no knowledge of them.
Exactly, I know very little myself of what medium/small alliances were up to during many of the rounds (r3+) I know if I wrote a history I would focus upon the main wars, so thats bias already \o/

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:33   #15
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
I'll give you a nice unbiased view. Everyone was dull and ****.
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 21:52   #16
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about
The other points are that even within the "large" alliances there were many things going on that only 1 or 2 of the HC/exec knew about. So while one person can say they were HC and can tell you all about a certain round they didnt know it all either. People like to remember what they want to remember and gloss over certain events that were flaws.

Any article will then be basically flawed so why bother anyway. Most of the people who helped shape the game have left due to the ridiculous tweaks ppl like spinner made. Its totally irrelevant these days as you barely see any of them anyway. All that will happens is ppl will dispute certain points and then the trolling will continue. A better article would be to ask spinner about his "tweaks" to protect n00bs and how they killed the game over the rounds.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 23:13   #17
wakka
commander

wakka can only hope to improve
old player

Hey I'm 44. and hell I can't even remember what I did in round 8 except being in swarm and the round ending terrebly... my first round was round 3 then played 4 and skipped 5 and thenplayed 6,7,8. wish my memory was better to help. I guess too many drinks and drugs in my younger days heh heh it was fun though I think.....
wakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 02:16   #18
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
1) you know what I meant when I said "old" players so stop with the elderly people jokes please

2) I know that any account that is submitted is going to be biased. This was more a "finding out who was interested" thread than anything else.
Judging by current interest levels it might not come to fruition on R9 portal, although the downloads for the information that I've gathered with the help of the community will be available.

3) This was the reason that I set an approximate word limit of 400 words. because it was obvious that more than one post would be needed per round, and people generally don't want to read 2 3000 word submissions. Short and snappy is the order of the day.

4) Coffee - Please see your forum PM's - Round 1 players seem to be a rare breed nowadays.

5) @ Fred of Bedrock
The reason for bothering is that many of the new people, and a few of the older PA generation want to know what went on all those rounds ago. Planetarion generates its own history like it or not and I think it would be a good idea to collate some of it before everyone who played the early rounds has left.

6) The editor always reserves the right to edit the exact wording to make stuff fit - but I promise that anyone who can contribute will be credited.

This is an ongoing project throughout R9 with the aim of getting hold of the content before it is too late. All submissions welcome

You can contact me via e-mail on: [email protected]
IRC - when nicked anything other than "A2|Away" I should respond (and PM's are always kept for later viewing)
In this thread.

Thankyou to anyone who can be of assistance
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 05:52   #19
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about
5) A2

I just gave you the history. The game was great till spinner tweaked it to death to protect n00bs. I hope that gets posted in the games history.

ps there arent any new ppl
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 07:54   #20
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
I played r1, was in 9:33 we rawked, only non-tuba/conc gal that got to top 25. I know a bit about r2 as well, though from an outsiders point of view, VVV were so ace yeah. Anybody remember FoIP?

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 10:06   #21
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
I have always admired planetarion for the diverse age groups of players involved, but i dont believe that was what he meant
cheaky wench why i ought to bend you over my knee and give you a good spanking fs

btw im also a r1 whore and i can dig up at least 5 more including 2 who rent rooms off me
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:59   #22
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
First prize (the ability to say I told you so) goes to whoever has guessed from A2's projects that the degree he is doing at uni is History.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 13:20   #23
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point
I played the last 8 days of Round 1 and every round since in full. Am I able to express a viewpoint ??

-DarK_AnGeL^-

(not the one from GLX or the female one or Azrael)

teh one from dominion, Vts, Wolfpack, and RaH !
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 13:54   #24
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
i played round 1 too, i was in 22:6, we sucked but we had fun

some guy in 8:18 kept attacking me most days in the last 3 weeks of the round but he never got through 'cos the only 2 other actives in the gal kicked ass we didn't do too badly for a galaxy of 3 actives (out of no more than 20 planets, we had at least 2 multis as well... inactive... only one of which got caught (stupid really, they had obvious multi names, like Endor 4 and Endor 5...)
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 14:54   #25
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road
Re: Wanted: Old Planetarion Players...

Quote:
Originally posted by A2

Wanted:

Rewards:

been here since rnd 1

one question we get paied ?
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 17:09   #26
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
Anybody remember FoIP?
wasn't there a big foip dude in cluster42 early round2?
weren't you in some alliance called like -42- or something?
whatever..

anyway i guess the only way to write this is just to name facts, and no "whys" at all..
you can write "fury and wolfpack fought against legion end of r3"
if you try to explain why that happened, which would be the interesting part anyway, you'd just get a pile of wank answers from more or less clueful people, as there is no objective view anyway.. you can maybe say "because the people involved decided to do so", which is a very sensible explanation of course..
just like you can never say who won a round, or which was the best galaxy, or planet, player, everything.. without being subjective.. even if you say "fury wolfpack and legion won the round", there will be people who count the galaxies and planets in the top100 and tell you you're wrong, others will say wolfpack only reached what they did with being legion before etc.etc..

if you achieve to produce an objective history of any round that is still interesting to read in any way, i'll be surprised..

ah well it will be something to read and laugh about in the end i guess, so let's see it..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 19:12   #27
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by randal
weren't you in some alliance called like -42- or something?
whatever..
It was -=42=-. Themselves and B8S formed a major part of ICD.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 20:30   #28
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy

And in case 2, how would you then explain that they came crawling back in r5?

just wondering.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 23:54   #29
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
It was -=42=-. Themselves and B8S formed a major part of ICD.
I was in -=42=- - that's how i came to be (briefly) in ICD
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 00:34   #30
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I believe most of what is left of -=42=- are in HR now.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 01:16   #31
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Neferti
I was in -=42=- - that's how i came to be (briefly) in ICD
Then you'd remember WillowWebb and DrEggs? Splendid people.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 01:32   #32
A2
#planetarion

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK_OPPS
one question we get paied ?
You must be joking - PA is voluntary sector - sorry

Seems like there's a fair amount of interest in summing up Planetarion over the last couple of years. Whilst making an effort to avoid bias, it would be good to have a couple of submissions for each roud, and so far I can only really see people volunteering for Round 1.

The background to the history section is to provide:
a) a brief description or two of each round (aka. the stuff I'm asking for submissions for)
b) a place where people can look up the old stats and the results for previous rounds
c) a place where people can download the results for previous rounds.
(please be aware - results pre-R7 are limited to whatever can be found - full DB dumps are available for R7 and R8)

In other words... the history section will become a resource to be built upon for many rounds to come but it can only be made as good as it should be with your help.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:27   #33
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
both lenin and zhilly said it best heh.

Theirs enough history from us Vets to make many many films and books. Esp from rounds 1-3
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 10:14   #34
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
-snip-.

perhaps it would be better getting all the r1 vets you can into a channel called #round1 or something
then let us all talk and between the lot of us share our views and memories from different sides ofthe game.

then you can log it and work our a complete overview history from that.

it works alot better than us each writing our own essay etc

there may be some things we forget which another doesnt they remind us suddenly we can remember the other side of a battle or something
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 11:24   #35
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
perhaps it would be better getting all the r1 vets you can into a channel called #round1 or something
then let us all talk and between the lot of us share our views and memories from different sides ofthe game.
God help the person who had to take notes and finally write a piece on it.

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:18   #36
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about
Question Umm

/me gets the feeling this may save the forum ppl sum time?! Lazy! lol

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 19:24   #37
Unf_Slasher
FAnG

Unf_Slasher can only hope to improve

Quote:

then you can log it and work our a complete overview history from that.

it works alot better than us each writing our own essay etc

there may be some things we forget which another doesnt they remind us suddenly we can remember the other side of a battle or something
that would be fun =
i'm all up for the talking and discussing, but i think you wont find a volunteer, to write notes about it
[00:58] <Squirrel> YES **** ME **** ME
[00:59] <Squirrel> **** ME NOW OH YES AliasX **** THE **** OUT OF ME
[00:59] <AliasX> wtf

FAnG
Unf_Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 00:34   #38
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Then you'd remember WillowWebb and DrEggs? Splendid people.
i do i got to know willow quite well at one point!

and as for the channel thing i'm up for that!
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:00   #39
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Round 5 ('tis a bit over 500, but then I'm not really submitting this, am I?)

The first round of pay to play, reduced from over one hundred thousand players to a mere handful of 15-20k (numbers from that period are sketchy at best). It was the last round with ‘classic’ ships. That is, shared ships for all technology paths. No races, just War and Science. Choices weren’t made until frigate class technology, so even as the first fleets were launched the expert tacticians mulled over which choice was best. At first all agreed that War had been handed the short end of the stick, then a last minute revelation (something utterly commonplace in Planetarion) revealed the War corvette class to have a higher EMP resistance per cost than what could be achieved by the Science favorite; the Black Widow. This clinched the decision for me, though the choice would haunt me on occasion. Those of us who chose war forgot to factor in what was one of the oldest and newest adages of Planetarion warfare: Minimize your opponents targeting efficiency. The new rules that ships would no longer target all remaining ships when out of primary and secondary targeting put even more weight on the old ways of roidwhoring.

The political scene was laden with doom on my side of the fence. On the one hand the shattered and divided forces of nos, the proud forces of Xanadu, crippled by credit card issues, and the failing empire of Cell were all that stood against the combined forces of Legion with its spearhead galaxy formation known as Gods, the alliance of the man known by few personally, but by all as the mastermind of warfare, The Fury and the defensive bastion of BlueTuba. A few ragtag alliances stood by our side, hoping to perhaps gain a moment in the light before our forces were laid shattered to all corners of the universe. Perhaps daring politicians had convinced them of minor chances of victory, but as often is in this game the future was all but written in stone.

My own galaxy was collection of firecrackers never meant to be put in the same box. Whenever something went wrong one would go off, naturally igniting the rest. But we persevered. Steered by greed I took little part in the grand war, my own alliance, a flash in the pan of history, was not stood alongside anyone, and I harbored idealistic hopes that this would keep my fat collection of rocks clear of the enemy. And my GC’s maneuvering helped us all avoid the crushing blow of opposing forces. My collection was among the richest in the Universe at the time, merely a month into the game this spoke only of a potential victory, no more, but without realistic support I had nothing to live on but the high of now. So onward I collected, until thieves and pirates came to seize their load. Then visited by the forces of purest evil, Yeh of Arcanum. It stains the purity of the high to know it was taken away by such a foul beast. My way was perhaps not honorable in that I did not stand in the front line. But victory in Planetarion is most often not about standing in the front line, but about being an opportunist. To know that the pencil pushing bastard who had lured his way into the galactic protection of Synthetic_Sid himself ran away with my precious collection. It will forever darken the round more than living 2 months under the yoke of boredom following our loss.

Jester
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:18   #40
A2
#planetarion

Re: Round 5 ('tis a bit over 500, but then I'm not really submitting this, am I?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667

-snip-

I think you've got the idea
Unless you've got any objections this is the sort of thing that I'd like to use for Round5
(please can you tell me what alliance you were though)

Also someone from the side that wasn't "laden with doom" reporting on Round 5 would be good
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:34   #41
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Round 5 ('tis a bit over 500, but then I'm not really submitting this, am I?)

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
I think you've got the idea
Unless you've got any objections this is the sort of thing that I'd like to use for Round5
(please can you tell me what alliance you were though)

Also someone from the side that wasn't "laden with doom" reporting on Round 5 would be good
I was in an alliance called Discordium, my galaxy was originally a heavy nos gal, but had 4-5 people leave during the lux break.

Jester
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 09:12   #42
Master
Time Lord

Master is an unknown quantity at this point
To be honest i dont know how anyone can sit there and write that much about a PA round, ive bin here since r2 and i dont even think i could write that much
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 12:42   #43
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrK Assassin
To be honest i dont know how anyone can sit there and write that much about a PA round, ive bin here since r2 and i dont even think i could write that much
You are a man of little words Drk, I could not fit in a single round in 400 words.

hAl
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 14:45   #44
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred of Bedrock
ps there arent any new ppl
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 02:09   #45
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Much much better than editing would be to simply post several opposing histories per round. Just like present and future are influenced by your perspective, history is too. So what better way is there to give a picture of the history than allowing controversial viewpoints next to each other (as long as they are not porpaganda BS at least but serious attempts)

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote