User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:03   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
xp/net connections

need a quick answer to this so asking here instead of p&it

where does winxp professional store it's internet connection settings info

i've had to reinstall xp onto another harddrive because it became corrupt somehow

i can still access the disk tho

i need to know where xp keeps the internet settings info so i can copy over the phone number and password from the old one to the new one

help please?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:04   #2
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Dial-up info is *probably* kept in the registry.

Is the new one also XP?

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:08   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
yep new one is xp too

also where is the restore information kept? maybe there's a chance i can copy across the restore info and get it all back working with same settings as before...
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:10   #4
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
The words pen and paper come to mind.

Did you never write down your details?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:12   #5
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

XP has a 'transfer settings' wizard, perhaps that may help? I've got no real idea otherwise.

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:13   #6
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
The words pen and paper come to mind.

Did you never write down your details?
yes

they are either somewhere in my room at uni

or somewhere amongst all the pieces of paper and work i have in a load of bags packed and waiting to go back

or worse still they've disappeared somewhere whilst moving
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:14   #7
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
if its just the number u need then what isp do u use, someone will bound to know its number
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:15   #8
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
if its just the number u need then what isp do u use, someone will bound to know its number
need the password too

and it's something along the lines of p423458hj4jbj42p2

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:19   #9
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Try going through the process of adding a new connection. Maybe it will shed light on where the current info is kept.

Have you looked at the Transfer Settings Wizard yet?

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:21   #10
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried this once. There is no easy way of getting the passy back that I know of - and this was from an xp install that was still on its feet.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:22   #11
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
Try going through the process of adding a new connection. Maybe it will shed light on where the current info is kept.

Have you looked at the Transfer Settings Wizard yet?
not yet

am seeing if i can restore the settings from the restore thingy first

new connection gives a shortcut as being like {8-9732-4223435-552523} or something similar as it's location
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:23   #12
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
I tried this once. There is no easy way of getting the passy back that I know of - and this was from an xp install that was still on its feet.
Once you've found where the password is it is not much problem, you just use a password unhider. It's just finding where it is that's the hard bit.

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:24   #13
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
try that xp file transfer wizerdy bob thingy

dunno if it would work with i ****ed hd tho

and why do u have a crapy password like that

and have u being to the isp site, most isp's have the whole if u forgot ur password help thingy
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:25   #14
Ragnarak

Quote:
i think there might still be a connection i set up on a mates laptop that i did for him so he could use the net for a few mins with my username/password

his laptop had either win2k or winme on it, is there an easy way to recover that of there if it's still on it (won't know for a few days )

the password will be blanked out but i seem to recall some software that unblanks it?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:27   #15
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
try that xp file transfer wizerdy bob thingy

dunno if it would work with i ****ed hd tho

and why do u have a crapy password like that

and have u being to the isp site, most isp's have the whole if u forgot ur password help thingy
the hard drive doesn't appear to be ****ed, having installed xp on a second hd i can still access everything on the first ok

it's just the system32/config/system file that is ****ed
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:42   #16
Ragnarak

any idea where xp keeps it's restore files?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:45   #17
Ragnarak

transfer settings wizard thing needs a working version of windows to get the settings from and so is no good
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:51   #18
Ragnarak

and how do i change which letter is assigned to which drive?

i had to remove the old hd to reinstall xp (it was freezing when it got to the autodectect stage) then i put it back in after i installed xp on the other drive but it's listing the older hd as F now after the cd and dvd drives

this messes up many shortcuts etc

tho in dos, fdisk is still showing it as D not F
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 03:00   #19
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Simply read it out of the memory of the password box on the connect screen? Afaik password textboxes do store their content in plaintext.

However, this is not the problem here; he can't get the connect box up, as the disk os is not operating. What he needs to find is where the encrypted password is, and simply transfer it, still encrypted, to the same on the new hd. I assume MS uses a simple one way encryption, similar to, or identical to, MD5.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 03:17   #20
Ragnarak

things just got worse

there's also a few important emails that i can't get now

anyone know where outlook express would have kept them? this is more important than the connection problem cos i should be able to ring up someone and find that info out
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 03:29   #21
Ragnarak

found the email files and managed to copy them across ok :)
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 04:04   #22
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Simply read it out of the memory of the password box on the connect screen? Afaik password textboxes do store their content in plaintext.
Theres like 300 'magic wand' programs out there to read text from password boxes, simply by bring the cursor over the box in question. I have once such program here now.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 04:59   #23
Ragnarak

just about everything is fixed

one last thing

does anyone know where outlook express keeps the information on mail accounts such as server name and username/password?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 05:02   #24
Ragnarak

Password retrieval

Enter your e-mail address and we will e-mail you your user id and password.

=======
to access the email account i need my username/password

anyone see a problem here? ;(
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 09:30   #25
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Theres like 300 'magic wand' programs out there to read text from password boxes, simply by bring the cursor over the box in question. I have once such program here now.
If you're not a coder, you wouldn't understand.