User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Dec 2002, 02:59   #1
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
A quick spelling moan.

The word 'alot' does not exist. There is no such word.

The words 'a' and 'lot' exist though. they can be written side by side as 'there is a lot of poor spelling.'

I wouldnt normally moan about this but I've noticed that in more and more cv's I find on my desk the author's appear to believe it is a word. I keep a special circular filing cabinet for these.

Use the word in the forums, yes, as it pisses the grammar nazis off no end but please dont put it on your cv's.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 03:01   #2
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
Ive never seen a circular filing cabinet before!
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 03:04   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I use mine extensively
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 03:18   #4
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
GRAMMAR NAZI!
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 03:19   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
GRAMMAR NAZI!
And your pathetic whiney assed semi-literate point would be...?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 03:48   #6
Trixta

Quote:
Originally posted by deerbarn
Ive never seen a circular filing cabinet before!
I think he means his bin innit.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 09:43   #7
Zor

I didn't know there were ALOT of Grammar Nazi's on the boards
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 09:47   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
'alot' doesn't even look like a word.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 10:18   #9
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
a lot of intellectuals believe that "alot" will eventually become an accepted word, because of its common usage.

Language is always evolving

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 10:53   #10
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
It's just like saying 'you're aprick' or sommot innit, alot should never be an accepted word.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:04   #11
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Trixta
I think he means his bin innit.

Oh!! Thanks man! LOL
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:05   #12
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
It's just like saying 'you're aprick' or sommot innit, alot should never be an accepted word.
if alot of people use it , then soon it will be added to alot of dictionaries
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:11   #13
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by deerbarn
if alot of people use it , then soon it will be added to alot of dictionaries
My papa always said, 'son, go with the flow, even if the flows heading towards ****ville'.

P.S. I like myself alot.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:20   #14
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Has 'alright' been officially added to the dictionary yet?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:23   #15
mbushell

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
Has 'alright' been officially added to the dictionary yet?
I hopeso, i really do hopeso...