User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Oct 2003, 03:46   #1
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
A small bit of grammar naziism

There is no such word as 'alot'

There is _definatley_ no such word as a 'allot'

Using the aforementioned words on your (5 page no less) CV is a sure fire way not to get a job.

k thx bye.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 03:48   #2
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A small bit of grammar naziism

Indeed.

And it's 'definitely', by the way.
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 03:50   #3
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
And it's 'definitely', by the way.
shush! you dont see me bitching about peoples spellings!

Unread 30 Oct 2003, 03:55   #4
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee
allot
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): al·lot·ted; al·lot·ting
1 : to assign as a share or portion <allot 10 minutes for the speech>
2 : to distribute by or as if by lot <allot seats to the press>
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 07:33   #5
I'm not Idler

"proper spelling and punctuation on this forum is like wearing a dinner jacket to a crack house".

I saw that somewhere

but it fits, loads
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 10:21   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Internet, IRC, and SMS capable phones ruin people's grammar.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 12:02   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee
There is no such word as 'alot'

Using the aforementioned words on your (5 page no less) CV is a sure fire way not to get a job.

k thx bye.
If luddites like you existed 300 years ago, we would still be conversing in olde english.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 12:26   #8
I'm Not Grimble
dennaB

I'm Not Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point

What annoys me almost is much as "alot" is

Gullible
"That person is extremely gullible, he took our bait, hook, line, and sinker."

It's NOT in the dictionary folks, no matter how hard you want it to be:

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=gullible
I'm Not Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 12:27   #9
I'm not Idler

it obviously is

or is dictionary.com webpage lying

OR DID I NOT GET THE JOKE
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 13:25   #10
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm not Idler
it obviously is

or is dictionary.com webpage lying

OR DID I NOT GET THE JOKE
You fell for it
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 13:32   #11
I'm Idler

in that case, I'm proud
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 15:45   #12
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Btw.

I read some 178 job applications last summer. I didn't mind the grammar errors. I did mind the tons of copies of all kinds of stuff (like, an accountant applicant's job application had to include her chef course grade copies) and CVs longer than my foot (20 pages or more pisses me off seriously). I will ahve to rant about CVs and applications some day.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 19:03   #13
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Furthermore what are you gonna do about it?
Not give them the job?
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 19:42   #14
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm not Idler
"proper spelling and punctuation on this forum is like wearing a dinner jacket to a crack house".

I saw that somewhere

but it fits, loads
Wittgensteinian.
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2003, 19:45   #15
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: A small bit of grammar naziism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I very much doubt a mild grammatical error would threaten someones chances of getting a job, I suspect that you would be hard pressed to find a grammatically perfect CV, expect in professions where that was a necessity.
Use of 'alot' is something any spelling-checker should/would catch though. It's a red flag that indicates that the applicant doesn't think the job and/or their resume/CV is worth the few seconds it would take to run it through said spelling-checker and fix the mistakes. I have absolutely no interest in hiring someone with that kind of attitude.
Quote:
As for grammer fascism, it should only be imposed when the lack of grammer makes the post difficult or annoying to read, cleary people make typo's and have necesary short hand.
Forum posts != job applications. For a job application I expect people to put their best foot forward. On this forum, it's fortunate if they don't fall over.
Quote:
Furthermore what are you gonna do about it?
For job applications, that's easy: Mr. Job Application, meet Mr. Trash Can.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote