User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:44   #1
Virtuoso

Exclamation Today's CH

CH used to be bad, but after seeing the latest log i must say it's the worst CH ever.... It used to be bad, but this one just S*CK!

CH wasn't made to have complete conversations is it? Just Q&A will do fs!
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:20   #2
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
The giving +v to people does seem like a generally stupid idea. They should've expected that half of the people would either be idle or take the opportunity to rant and insult or get attention. Besides, questions you've written ahead of time generally make more sense.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:27   #3
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
All I can say is that its impossible to please everyone. What I saw as the majority of people wanted to see more interaction and the chance for people to say if the answer wasn't satisfactory or didnt contain enough detail. Thats what the majority got.

Kloopy
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:47   #4
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
worked for me.. was a brave move to recreate CH, as with anything in pa, u are damned if u do and damned if you dont. never please everyone.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:49   #5
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
The giving +v to people does seem like a generally stupid idea.
I think its a good idea. They just shouldnt have to say the question themselves. Once CH gets going it'll let the people with real questions expand on them rather than a one liner reply with no follow up.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:19   #6
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Follow up should be allowed, but not open discussion.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:33   #7
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloopy
All I can say is that its impossible to please everyone. What I saw as the majority of people wanted to see more interaction and the chance for people to say if the answer wasn't satisfactory or didnt contain enough detail. Thats what the majority got.

Kloopy
It is a good idea and yes is what ppl wanted, but it may be an idea to still get the bot to ask the question and +v the one who submited it so they could say if they wanted more detail or wern't satisfied with the detail involved. Also this would avoid a repeat of today where inf had asked three q's then got voiced twice to ask them altho he had asked them all the first time around and also wouldnt matter if ppl were just ideling asthe question would still get asked and answered just they wouldnt get to feedback.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:42   #8
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
The 2 things I picked up on today:

a) the number of questions actually asked
b) the people who didn't stick to the questions they had submitted (lo inf)
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 03:07   #9
r72dk

r72dk is an unknown quantity at this point
Must agree with the disapointment on this CH, however its to reckon and give a cheer to kloopys and princes attempt.

Time and habit might change it, as it always does.

One thing i was particularly amazed was seeing Inf, insulting, ramble and do a lot more that what he was supposed to do. Not amazed to him but to whom was moderating that CH as he shouldnt have lasted more than two lines, it occupied more time than it should, wrote not apropriate wording and did nothing constructive. Ofc things are bound to better.

If you plan on giving someone a chance to explain further its view, either expand the CH time or do it twice a week, so anythg relevant comes from it.

Meanwhile, a cheers for the nice attempt ... rome wasnt built in one day

r72dk
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:03   #10
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Perhaps there should be a limit on the time/lines that a person is voiced for, to prevent CH getting off track. I didn't see CH myself, so went to read the log, and I must say I found it quite difficult to read. Could we have the voicing/devoicing lines left in so you can tell who's voice when (not that with inf it was difficult to tell)? Perhaps also a leaf out of the #planetarion bots' code in that a person is devoiced for saying naughty words, we can't really have that sort of thing be seen to be tolerated by a prospective player reading the portal.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:53   #11
Nem3sis
Planetarion Radio DJ

Nem3sis is an unknown quantity at this point
how about CH PMs the next person like 3 questions in advanced with soemthing like "Please /msg CH Ready to show that you are ready to ask your question. Please also join #planetarion or the bot will ask your question" to show that they are at their computer......haveing it in #creators again would mean that the idlers wouldnt be in the channel but they were in #planetarion cos ppl do idle there but not really #creators
Nem3sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 11:05   #12
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally posted by Nem3sis
how about CH PMs the next person like 3 questions in advanced with soemthing like "Please /msg CH Ready to show that you are ready to ask your question. Please also join #planetarion or the bot will ask your question" to show that they are at their computer......haveing it in #creators again would mean that the idlers wouldnt be in the channel but they were in #planetarion cos ppl do idle there but not really #creators
Not a bad idea. Or perhaps pre-CH 'your question [question] has been selected to be asked at CH'.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 11:42   #13
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
I think there are a few points I need to respond too.

1) I really like the idea of the bot asking questions. It allows everyone to see what they indended to ask, will help up get through questions faster and goes some way to stopping the conversation going off topic. Expect it next week.

2) Limiting someones lines or text. I dont think this is a good idea, for example when serious issues are raised, like inf did, then we need longer to answer those queries. I think with point 1, having CH ask the question, should cut down the time per question quite drastically. Also, I think we'll get through more questions once people know exactly how creators hour works and get used to the new routine.

3) infs first voicing. I believe he was the first, or very nearly the first to be voiced ever in a creators hour. And he was very nearly the first to be banned in a creators hour. The bot does have a command to ban by pnick so that banned people cannot take part. But I chose not to, instead the points he brought up, however badly worded, were still valid points.

Rather than just turning a blind eye to it, and denying that a problem existed there, I personally chose to leave him voiced and answer them. If there is anyone with a problem with my decision, then I apologise, but I think the critisism would have been far greater than if he was banned.

4) Logging. Yes, the log is fairly hard to read. Unfortunately I didnt have time to code everything into the bot that I wanted to. Instead, you will see logging in the next Creators Hour, and it'll be really flash. The questions will show up nicely, and it'll all be colour coded, etc.

Kloopy
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 11:47   #14
Kloopy
-Back Again-

5) Pre warning people that their question is going to be asked.

I see two problems with this. The first is at the end of creators hour, it'll be warning people thier question is up right until we call time. So people will be warned unnecessarily.

The second is the way the bot keeps track of people. Basically, as you join the channel it asks the server what pnick you're logged in as. It caches this, into a big associative array. When it comes to voicing someone, it uses this array to find your real nickname.

Hence if someone is not in the channel we dont know whether they are logged in, and if they are the bot cant get their nickname easily. Yes, there is /msg p verify but if users are set invisble on P, that doesnt help.

So I dont think you'll see this being added. Basically, now that you have to ask questions via the bot, you're already on IRC, we only flag the questions a few minutes before creators hour starts, so ask your question half an hour before the hour, stay on IRC, in channel, and just be ready for CH to mention your pnick.

6) A little update will happen next week. At the moment the bot chooses questions at random, from the ones that have been flagged for creators hour. From next week, questions will be flagged with a priority, so that we get the decent questions out first. This should hopefuly help towards more decent hours aswell.

Kloopy
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:49   #15
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloopy
4) Logging. Yes, the log is fairly hard to read. Unfortunately I didnt have time to code everything into the bot that I wanted to. Instead, you will see logging in the next Creators Hour, and it'll be really flash. The questions will show up nicely, and it'll all be colour coded, etc.
Pls don't make it too colourful. I may think I've accidently stumbled into an eighties disco.

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 14:12   #16
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
In essence the community asked for a little more interaction, which is what they were given, but it seems that the creators were right to aticipate the fact that some of us may not be mature enough to handle a little responsility.

-Necro
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:26   #17
Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
In essence the community asked for a little more interaction, which is what they were given, but it seems that the creators were right to aticipate the fact that some of us may not be mature enough to handle a little responsility.

-Necro
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:33   #18
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro

-Necro
I agree. I believe, following a chat with Kloopy, that there is a function of CH to black-mark people who overstep the mark. I hope he doesn't hesitate to use it.