User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 4 Jan 2003, 16:25   #1
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Outlook replacement?

I was wondering what email client you lot use, I currently use Outlook but we all know this is about as secure as an essex girls knickers on a friday night. So I short I want a nice, simple (because im stupid ) email client that is secure

So what are you lot using?
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 16:48   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Outlook replacement?

Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT

outlook
I'm too stupid to set up another client...
At work they used to use Pegasus though, but I'm not hearing many good things about that.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 16:53   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I use Outlook XP. Just make sure it's up to date with patches and that you've disabled scripting, you should be fairly safe then. Oh, and don't open the bloody attachments!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 17:54   #4
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
I use Outlook XP. Just make sure it's up to date with patches and that you've disabled scripting, you should be fairly safe then. Oh, and don't open the bloody attachments!
sounds like hard work to me
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 18:02   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
sounds like hard work to me
Security doesn't 'just happen'. You have to do some work yourself (unless you want to go back to a plain text SMTP client), if you can't be bothered then you deserve whatever nasties infest your system.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 18:10   #6
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Security doesn't 'just happen'. You have to do some work yourself (unless you want to go back to a plain text SMTP client), if you can't be bothered then you deserve whatever nasties infest your system.
I havent had a virus for over a year now, Im kinda proud of that

Or maybe its cos I dont have Anti-Virus stuff so I dont know about them......
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 02:08   #7
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I simply use opera, since I use it for browsing too.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:15   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have to admit to being a microsoft whore - I use Outlook Express still (although Norton scans every email going both in and out so I'm fairly safe).

When I'm booted into linux (lo dualboot) I use Netscape for mail and web browsing.

Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:38   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
When I'm booted into linux (lo dualboot) I use Netscape for mail and web browsing.

If for some reason I need to use linux to access the web I use mozilla for everything
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 04:04   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Forté Agent.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 13:46   #11
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
ximian evolution !

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 15:44   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
for security i wrote my own email client

i am hoping to replicate this with my irc client soon too.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 16:46   #13
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Personally I use pine... on the uni-linuxes...

I'm currently looking for an Outlook-beater myself, to get my parents on to something that doesn't involve me having to keep their computer updated every week...

At uni they have Eudora, but I'm not too happy about it myself... seems to be all sorts of buggy behaviour with it. (Mailboxes being corrupted, settings lost etc.)
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 15:38   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I've used Eudora for well over 6 years now and have never had a problem with it.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 20:05   #15
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
I've used Eudora for well over 6 years now and have never had a problem with it.
What he said

Jester
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 10:55   #16
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I use Pegasus [website]. It's great. The user interface is quirky, but it's designed for pretty IT-literate people. It's small and fast, and it has none of the security holes you'll find in M$ Outbreak or even Eudora.

Exceptionally good support of multiple identities, and very good rule-based filtering. Oh, and it's "free" of course.

I really can't recommend it enough! You can read it's feature list here.

Also worth a look is The Bat [website]. It's got a more "standard" interface and has a lot of Pegasus' features, plus its own. However it's not free - but the acclaimed SecureBat is pretty nifty and may be worth paying for.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 10:57   #17
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
ximian evolution !
Good man! You get a star!

(*)

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:04   #18
Šiscorporation

I use Netscrape's client..
Its acceptable \o/
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:15   #19
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
mozilla!
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 12:18   #20
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough
Re: Outlook replacement?

Quote:
I was wondering what email client you lot use, I currently use Outlook but we all know this is about as secure as an essex girls knickers on a friday night. So I short I want a nice, simple (because im stupid ) email client that is secure

I prefer any of these over Outlook.

Mozilla / Netscape
Pegasus
Eudora
Opera
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:08   #21
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
The baysian filter in mozilla mail 1.3a is amazing at sorting out spam (once you have it set up that is!)