User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:04   #1
McNeil

McNeil is an unknown quantity at this point
just wondering...

does anybody know if all the building/research names were copyrighted by PA? im just asking this because if you look here ( http://game.fdwar.net/fast/techtree.php ) most of the buildings are copied right out of PA (if you scroll down a little). that techtree is from another online game.

just wondering...
McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:10   #2
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light
I would guess that Planetarion is copywrited in some way but like most things people copy the original idea, and change things accordingly as to miss out on the legal problems. I am not talking from a position of real knowledge here though, so i could, and quit often am, completely wrong

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:36   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Copying an idea, but changing it slightly, is one thing...

However, looking at some of the things on there, they are blatant rip offs, noticeably the references to "Kthal" and "Xentralis"...original names for Planetarion ships.

They even ****ed up on the "Zakat" techtree by listing the "Zikonian" transporter...didn't even bother adjusting the name there

I assume things like "Mounted EMP" and "Black Widow Facility" could *possibly* pass for concidences, less so for the "Tarantula Project"...but the references to the Xandathrii ships and "Zikonian" are blatant infringements.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:46   #4
McNeil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
I assume things like "Mounted EMP" and "Black Widow Facility" could *possibly* pass for concidences, less so for the "Tarantula Project"...but the references to the Xandathrii ships and "Zikonian" are blatant infringements.
shipstats: http://www.********.net/shipstats.php

since there is no tie between any of the ships and the names of the buildings

ex: Black Widow Facility making Dynasty

i wouldnt say it was coincidence...at least they took the time to change the names of the ships
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:59   #5
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, but they didn't even change *all* of the shipnames:

Defender, Dragon, Roach, Peacekeeper, Devastator, Phoenix, Vulture

All Planetarion ship names (surely from other games as well, but you get the point)

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 14:37   #6
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
You generally do not have to copyright these things as creating the originals allready implies the copyright. Problems with copyrights are in the fact that you can not get copyrights on everything and even if you can it is very difficult to stop making people abuse your copyrights on the internet.

For games you can register the name a a trademark and thing like a gamedesign, game engine might well be copyrighted. clearly in that way several game make intrusions on possible copyrights of PA as their game is basically the same as PA. Names of ships ( or of game characters) might be copyrighted as well if they are original and are an integrate part of the game design. If you start a commercial game using all starwars ships names you might well be in troubles soon. But names like black widow or phoenix seem to general and not original to get any copy rights on. Still looking at all the names as a package there migt be a slight possibility you win a lawsuit against a game that vitually copies them all. Generally the only result will be that they will have to change the name in that case.

More troublesome is even to find out how you can get to these abusers as internet is global and it is very hard and expensive to go after people in other countries who violate your copyrights. This would only be usefull if the damage caused by the abuse is bigger than the expenses needed. And even if you know who they offenders are and in which country they are located it might be their country has different laws and judisprudence on such copyright violations which make them almost impossible get.

hAl
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 14:46   #7
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
to be honest though, any of us or the pa team trying to get anyone charged with copyright laws is a little hypocritical as i bet there is probably not one of us who doesnt have KaZaA or any such file sharing programs and a big fat pile of rather unpaid for music files.

if pa is to survive it will be as good as they say it will be in rnd 10 and blow the other games out the water simply as it stands head and shoulders above the others. if it doesnt do this, then whats wrong with a little competition to improve things?

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 15:37   #8
Johny Jazz©

http://forum.********.net/viewtopic.php?t=244

Unread 8 Jan 2003, 15:47   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
This is a game that when I played it had almost the exact same stats as R7 PA. They changed the Syren T3 to all and I think that was then only difference between ******** and PA terran races. Ripoff ahoy!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 16:18   #10
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo
to be honest though, any of us or the pa team trying to get anyone charged with copyright laws is a little hypocritical as i bet there is probably not one of us who doesnt have KaZaA or any such file sharing programs and a big fat pile of rather unpaid for music files
I only have about 25 mp3's on my computer from CD's I don't own.

Quote:
if pa is to survive it will be as good as they say it will be in rnd 10 and blow the other games out the water simply as it stands head and shoulders above the others. if it doesnt do this, then whats wrong with a little competition to improve things?

How is their "competition" going to improve things? They're using our own ideas to "compete" with us, and we're not creating a new Planetarion so they go out of business...

It's not competition, it's theft. I've already discussed this with a lawyer.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 16:32   #11
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The best bit is the message on the ******** front page.
Quote:
Post subject: Stolen code

Today I recieved information on two websites that run illegaly obtained versions of ********.

Each of these websites has had its host contacted, and I have made a separate report to the applicable countries police force.

Very simply this will not be accepted, and any website that is found to be running a modification of the ******** code without my specific written authorisation will be prosecuted to the extent of the law.

A very p***ed off

Dave
Hypocrites.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 17:54   #12
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Quote:
I only have about 25 mp3's on my computer from CD's I don't own.
still copyright infringement 25 times.

Quote:
How is their "competition" going to improve things? They're using our own ideas to "compete" with us, and we're not creating a new Planetarion so they go out of business...

It's not competition, it's theft. I've already discussed this with a lawyer. [/b]
If spinner and co. or simtech now, own the copyright to the basis/idea's of the game, let them put the other games out of business, i would like to see that, pa is and will be for a very long time my no.1 choice of online game. surely if they could, they would be doing this? i agree it is theft, but unless simtech/jolt/whoever takes this action, what can planetarion hope to do other than better the clones and make itself worth the signing up fee.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 18:03   #13
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
still copyright infringement 25 times.

Yes, I'm aware of that. You were trying in insinuate that we *all* had 10 gigs of illegal mp3's on our computers, which I clearly do not.

How many counts of copyright infringement are you guilty of?

Quote:
If spinner and co. or simtech now, own the copyright to the basis/idea's of the game, let them put the other games out of business, i would like to see that, pa is and will be for a very long time my no.1 choice of online game. surely if they could, they would be doing this? i agree it is theft, but unless simtech/jolt/whoever takes this action, what can planetarion hope to do other than better the clones and make itself worth the signing up fee.
There is also the possibility some of these games have not been brought to their attention, or they simply do not care, as the games are free, so it's not like they are "stealing" directly from us...however, the game in question is blatantly using names and ideas taken *directly* from Planetarion, with no alteration whatsoever.

Unlike other clone games, that change the names of buildings and ships, this one hasn't even bothered to cover their ass in that manner...leaving themselves wide open for action to be taken against them.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 18:14   #14
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that. You were trying in insinuate that we *all* had 10 gigs of illegal mp3's on our computers, which I clearly do not.

How many counts of copyright infringement are you guilty of?
as i said, i am sure not one of us doesnt have shared files which infringe copyright laws. myself included.

Quote:
There is also the possibility some of these games have not been brought to their attention, or they simply do not care, as the games are free, so it's not like they are "stealing" directly from us...however, the game in question is blatantly using names and ideas taken *directly* from Planetarion, with no alteration whatsoever.

Unlike other clone games, that change the names of buildings and ships, this one hasn't even bothered to cover their ass in that manner...leaving themselves wide open for action to be taken against them.
That they do not care, i cannot beleive. whether these games are being profited from or not, it doesnt make any difference. either way they are a detriment to planetarion itself. Sim-tech i am sure is aware of many of these clones and must care about the way they are damaging this community.
As for the game which has not taken the precaution of renaming the parts stolen from planetarion, let pa and its owners take action. maybe once one is publicly removed and the people responsible made an example of, others will think twice about blatantly stealing ideas from spinner & co.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 18:32   #15
Cochese
Retired

We can only hope they take action

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 18:34   #16
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Amen.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 18:42   #17
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Go play homeworld, then come back and rave on about the originality of the pa tech tree.

Admittedly it doesnt take a lot of effort at all to change the names (which they should) but if Planetarion can sue them, it can get sued itself as it is just as guilty.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 19:08   #18
Cochese
Retired

Nobody is trying so sue anyone, nor was that referenced anywhere in this thread that I can see.

It's about taking *original* Planetarion names and using them in their game.

Last time I played Homeworld, they didn't have a "Mounted EMP" research, or a "Tarantula Project"...nor were there references to "Kthal" or "Zikonian Transporter".

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 22:26   #19
McNeil

Quote:
Each of these websites has had its host contacted,
sure, mabe they contacted you

Quote:
and I have made a separate report to the applicable countries police force.
that kind of sounds like one of those messages you get when somebody wants you to recall your fleet because they couldnt get defence, but thats just my opinion
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 22:45   #20
Lan

Lan is an unknown quantity at this point
well, many of the ships in pa is taken out from other games like starcraft.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 23:12   #21
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lan
well, many of the ships in pa is taken out from other games like starcraft.
Nope.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 23:13   #22
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Last time I played Homeworld, they didn't have a "Mounted EMP" research, or a "Tarantula Project"...nor were there references to "Kthal" or "Zikonian Transporter".
Capital Ship Chassis etc is though. Most of the tech tree is 'inspired'.
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 00:26   #23
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

theres a difference between inspiration and theiving areas of a game wholesale.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 00:37   #24
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
"go"
"on"
"irc"
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 01:30   #25
Zither
Alcoholic

Zither is an unknown quantity at this point
Well after reading this thread i signed up to the game to see exactly how close it was to pa.

I did not have to read the manual to know what research/buildings i should start, just done the second lot, different names but i doubt my 'guess' on what to do is wrong. I get the feeling that when i start the third lot a research will allow me to find roids (or whatever they call them).

Now i have checked the ship stats, for some reason they look familiar .

I have played a couple of fast tick pa clones, they are not (imo) competition to pa because pa is hour ticks, not 10 second/1 min ticks. But something like this is competition to pa.

There is a big difference between 'Inspiration' and plain copying, some names are different but eveything in the game is pa with a new name.

<Ahriman> i didn't know they were shemales until i f*cked them...

If you can't win an argument without using insults you have lost the argument already
Zither is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 02:45   #26
ArchNosbod

ArchNosbod is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
Capital Ship Chassis etc is though
how many other ways are there to say "research the chassis for a capital ship"?
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 07:38   #27
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by ArchNosbod
how many other ways are there to say "research the chassis for a capital ship"?
But who refers to the "chassis" of a ship? Normally, the framework of a ship is discussed in terms like keels, airframes, bulkheads, ribs, etc.

"Capital ship chassis" is such an unusual phrasing that it's easy to trace it from Homeworld to Planetarion (and beyond).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 04:20   #28
McNeil

it would be interesting to see PA make some action against ********