User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 26 Dec 2002, 02:09   #1
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Bye Bye Windows!

okies I am going to give linux another go (I do this every 6 months or so).

The problem I had last time was a total lack of USB support for my mobo (kg7-raid, which I didnt have with my older kt7-a) - I use one of those nasty speedtouch fish usb modem things, but may get a adsl switch if I have to (even though I dont want to).

anyway...

what distro do you reccomend? I tried mandrake last time (no usb support*) but I hear thats a common problem anyway. As long as I dont have to spend too long fking with it just to get it working I'm not too fussed.

I'm not an idiot and I have linux esperiance, but mainly just through ssh (which i will be using my pc for at work).

Suggestions?

(Its an xp2000+ on a abit kg7a-raid with 256mb of ddr + a gf2 gts).

* The usb works fine during install, its when you reboot + use the fker that it dies
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 02:53   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
MDK 9 is good but the networking sucks on the setup

I'm running RH8.0 and it's fabulous, anyi aliased out of the box even! The only downside was having to DL ice-wm myself as it doesn't come with it (running KDE 3 on a celeron333 with 64MB of RAM is a real bad idea ) but apart from that it's stable, it works, and it looks good. What more could you ask for?

Cue the slackware purists
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 15:58   #3
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
get slackware !

actually get suse, for lots of reasons i cba to detail

cue the suse haters

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:34   #4
Coffee
Ensign

But will usb work? If not there is no point to it.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:39   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
But will usb work? If not there is no point to it.
I can testify that the USB 2.0 suport in RH8 works, can't speak for the other distros though.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 19:39   #6
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Depending on how well you know linux (and how much you are willing to put into getting to know it) I would suggest you take a look at gentoo.

It does lack a lot of the stuff other distros has out-of-the-box, but it makes up for it by having a clean structure, lots of good documentation, easy installation of new software, nothing you don't need... and last but certainly not least... everything is optimized for your system (binary downloads? pfft... automated builds! )

http://www.gentoo.org

cue the BSD lovers...
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 20:07   #7
dave20
bleh

dave20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Epcylon
Depending on how well you know linux (and how much you are willing to put into getting to know it) I would suggest you take a look at gentoo.

It does lack a lot of the stuff other distros has out-of-the-box, but it makes up for it by having a clean structure, lots of good documentation, easy installation of new software, nothing you don't need... and last but certainly not least... everything is optimized for your system (binary downloads? pfft... automated builds! )

http://www.gentoo.org

cue the BSD lovers...
yeah, portage absolutely kicks ass. it's by far the best packaging system i've seen. upgrading all the current software on your disc requires 1 command, emerge --update world.

installation is definately the hardest bit. i cheated and went straight for the stage 3 tarball (there's 2 stages before this which are pretty slimmed down - you have to compile glibc/gcc etc) and configuration can get a bit difficult. but from then on it's just plain sailing. just emerge kde and you have a system that's more or less ready touse. check it out
dave20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:15   #8
RIT

Suse 8.1 is pretty good, suported all my USB stuff and I have around 11 USB devices. Infact everything apart from my monitor and sound is USB. I need help :/
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:24   #9
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
slackware 8.1 supports usb cause my keyboard and printer work fine in it, its also the best distro DONT LISTEN TO THE NON SLACKWARE NOOBS GET IT NOW!!

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 10:23   #10
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
all distros will support USB, its all down to how much work you want to put in to make it work..

oh and as to the gentoo suggestion, why bother getting something that installs a system as clean as slackware, but takes the 12 days of christmas to do it ?

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 14:35   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
gentoo from stage 1 to KDE took 32 hours on my k6-2 400.
Stage 1 to shell takes about 16 hours.

Gentoo is very very nice. I have an intense dislike of RPM based distros :/ I think they are fine if you are consistent with what you do, but the great benefit of gentoo is that if there is a program, or version, you want to install that a 'package' (ebuild/rpm/whatever) that your distro doesnt have yet, your only choice with an RPM based distro is to make an RPM for it, which is not exactly easy, where as to make an ebuild is pish, and not much harder than installing something from src.

Remember, as far as core functionality goes, linux is linux is linux. If USB2 'works under BingleBeep 7' its going to work under 'Flibble 2002'.

If you are planning to use the excellent speedtouch usb modem, I'd direct you to benoit's driver, much less fking about than the alcatel stuff. The only gotcha is that you need CONFIG_N_HDLC=y set in your kernel. If you get the distro from sf, unpack and cd to that directory, and run doc-linux/doctor/speedtouch-doctor.sh you will get a nice feedout of what is right, and what is wrong with your setup :)

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 14:42   #12
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Pah, slackware, double pah Gentoo, triple pah RH

Debian is "teh daddeh"

note : Debian is also a cow from a total newbies point of view
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:10   #13
Lord211

Slackware totally rocks, its usually the only distrabution i use, however, a mate of mine has been playing around with debian, and has totally fallen in love with its apt-get system, so when my bro's get their new computer i am going to steal their old one and install debian on it.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 17:23   #14
KitFox

try This

if u dont want to waste time on setup / config / hd partitioning / choshing option

go for it :

http://www.knoppix.net/

u just need a CD to run it, it's based on Debian + KDE

It' will save your time & mind , then if u will chose to go for Permanently on linux u will be to install it on HD or maybe go for RH or wathever

good luck
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 16:56   #15
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I ask you what soundcard you have?
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 21:50   #16
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Redhat is quite nice for beginners.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 00:14   #17
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
Can I ask you what soundcard you have?
Me?

SB Live. Found it + it works fine.

The only problem is the USB ADSL modem (speedtouch) but I've set aside an entire day to try to fix that - if I cant its back to Windows for another 6 months.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 00:36   #18
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
That's odd. I have a KG7-RAID with a SB Live, and the combination of the Live, the AMD Northbridge and the crud-u-like VIA southbridge cause me no end of headaches. My computer freezes if I play a sound for any length of time.

Did you ever encounter problems with your computer freezing/hanging whilst playing sounds?
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:16   #19
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
Did you ever encounter problems with your computer freezing/hanging whilst playing sounds?
No, but its never played for longer than a few seconds.

I'll let you know.

p.s. try moving your soundcard to a different pci slot - sounds daft but it cures problems sometimes.