User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Jan 2003, 19:01   #1
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Old PA ship design.

http://royles.doosh.net/planetarion/

Just out of interest, i pondered over this myself aswell, someone suggested (i know you did an ingame interface or two) that isn't your work is it Coffee?

I couldn't find the thread in which someone mentioned those models so i decided to make this one. I don't no whether Petru has shown his work for the recent race ships but they're a good view sadly i've lost the URL, Petru...
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 19:14   #2
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
I remember those from the start of round 4. Sheer quality. Good job whoever did them.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 19:24   #3
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
/me wants dagger again
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 19:37   #4
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Old community guy named Royles did those pics, hense the domain they are on. They where truely awesome imho and I wish he was still around helping us
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 20:23   #5
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Why were these not more public. I remember them being so great. The old manual, with pictures, decriptions and everything. Purely awesome. Its things like that which really brought me into the game.

Matt
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 21:22   #6
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Exelent...very good pics...

I agree totaly with Kloopy...they were a very good aspect of the game...

My compliments to the maker(s)/designer(s)....

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 22:04   #7
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
Those were done by Sliver/Silver (Chris Royles) who I did get in touch with when we started our own pics Zer.

My own are on http://www.melville.biz/pashipsv2/ - never got round to finishing them. I have accompanying descriptions for all races ships apart from Zikonian somewhere too.

EDIT - Looking back over them they're all of varying standards, and I've got a fair bit more material available than just this page (such as a couple of movies, more closeup shots of engines/landing gear etc). I never got round to finishing them after the "super manual" project fell through after taking 2 rounds to get only half done though

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:44   #8
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve
the r4 manual was great.
detailed description to every ship, how many persons it needs to work properly, technics explained, and so on.
it really was a great aspect to the game, made me signing up.

btw, do you still remember the toilet-threads?
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 04:13   #9
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The backgrounds and for ships and the game in general which Petru did were excellenent its stupid that they weren't used As I recall it wasn't just pictures but there were lengthy descriptions to.

I can't understand why the background and role playing side of the game were never developed fully.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 06:04   #10
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
All quality, does anybody have the url's to the animated ones that were done? I seem to remember the guy who did them was taken onto PA team.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 09:16   #11
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
Would it be too much to ask that in the game itself, we could have images such this complimenting such areas as production etc. Nothing animated as such, just nice little graphics to go alongside planet names etc.

Make PA a visual feast for those superficial buggers :xmas:
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 10:26   #12
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]
Would it be too much to ask that in the game itself, we could have images such this complimenting such areas as production etc. Nothing animated as such, just nice little graphics to go alongside planet names etc.

This -will- be considered. I love the idea personally, and I'll do my best to get it to happen. I'll poke the manual people too, to see if they like the idea of getting the descriptions of each ship back into the game.

Matt
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 11:24   #13
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I'd show the blueprint styled ships but unfortunatly since vampy moved her webspace i didn't think of moving all the blueprints - They'd take forever to upload again maybe i'll do it over-tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Old community guy named Royles did those pics, hense the domain they are on. They where truely awesome imho and I wish he was still around helping us
Yeh i remember us finding them again awhile back, someone i was talking to the other day seemed to think those were done by Coffee.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 12:16   #14
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
Yeh i remember us finding them again awhile back, someone i was talking to the other day seemed to think those were done by Coffee.
Nope, wasnt me. I only did the 2d work, and some 2d touching up/colour fixing etc of the 3d stuff.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 14:41   #15
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
I still have most of those texts Hicks. The irony was that in the end they were intended to be released, myself, Zeriod and Prince were cooperating as a team to put together individual slides comprising my ships on Zeriods frames with my texts all put together by Prince for the manual.

They just never got finished. 48 ships is a collossal amount to model even in the space of a couple of months, especially when I was putting in the detail I was (http://www.melville.biz/bens3d/bps/gry-obl.jpg for example, even has seats in the ****pit and fuel lines on the engines).

The texts are all still available, here I think:

http://www.melville.biz/bens3d/manual_terran.htm
http://www.melville.biz/bens3d/manual_cathaal.htm
http://www.melville.biz/bens3d/manual_xandathrii.htm

Zeriod, I still have all the 4-render Blueprints we did, the 2 or 3 new ships I did after that don't have BP's but I've still got all the originals, just not in those frames you did.

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 15:17   #16
Backbone
The one and only

Backbone is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, the r3 stats. I remember even seeing some of the pics ingame as galpics

10 times mightier than 2001
Backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 18:27   #17
mbushell

I do have them all on my drive but i've uploaded a selection:
Clipper
Defender
Phoenix
Scarab
Pillager
Lyvidian
Vsharrack
Cutter
And my personal fav:
Zeus

I know just how much time i put into the ones i did, Petru must have spent a phenomenal amount on his, even though they where never used it was a good learning experience.
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 00:44   #18
Varangian
Proscribed Citizen 3141

Varangian is an unknown quantity at this point
A word in favor of theives and daggers

During the early rounds we had the option of building many classes of ships.
THe same fleet could sport a horde of thieves, spiders, and three different classes of fighters, not to mention the capital ships.
I loved war cruisers, and stole hundreds of them !
A thief horde made it possible to grow on defense. You could also utilize helpless N00BZ as "alligator bait" and sieze their attackers' vessels.
As a player with a more defensive style, I long for the return of the thief to the terran lineup.
Daggers with absolutely cool. A fighter that was more than popcorn was useful around a busy non-aligned galaxy.
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 15:49   #19
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A word in favor of theives and daggers

Quote:
Originally posted by Varangian
During the early rounds we had the option of building many classes of ships.
THe same fleet could sport a horde of thieves, spiders, and three different classes of fighters, not to mention the capital ships.
I loved war cruisers, and stole hundreds of them !
A thief horde made it possible to grow on defense. You could also utilize helpless N00BZ as "alligator bait" and sieze their attackers' vessels.
As a player with a more defensive style, I long for the return of the thief to the terran lineup.
Daggers with absolutely cool. A fighter that was more than popcorn was useful around a busy non-aligned galaxy.
R2+R3=phwoar
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 19:41   #20
SantaClaws04

SantaClaws04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]

personly, i would rather have a text-only game so i could load the pages faster. else, i've always been dreaming about a (downloadable?) flash version of pa... dont quite know if thats possible, and still maintaining security 'n all, im still somewhat a newbie in flash and php...
r4 - no know
r5 - no know
r6 - no know
r7 - no know
r8 - no
r9 - no
r9.5 - wont reveal while im playing - wont remember when im not...
SantaClaws04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 20:07   #21
mbushell

lol flash is about as secure as this blue-tack keeping my front door together lolol - a downloadable PA would 'ave to be a piece of software imo.

Joking aside, i've experiemented with little flying games (shockwave) and flash animations with some of the models, they'd be just extras from the actual game though.
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 23:47   #22
Johny Jazz©

Thumbs up

I stumbled across those a few months back when doing a search for 'planetarion'. Some great stuff there, and alot of them were never seen.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 09:24   #23
mbushell

The old PA Forum top logo had one of those as the background and a few other bits 'n' pieces where used in the manual.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 14:31   #24
Thex
Average Thex

Thex will become famous soon enoughThex will become famous soon enough
There's some great stuff there.

On a similar note I play other games based around the Star Trek and Star Wars universes because of the way they have persistance built in.

They usually come with good manuals and the games themselves have a lot of in game material about the Universe in which you are playing. Some of the games have little bits and pieces which in themselves lend nothing to actually playing the game. But they help enforce the fact that there is a Universe out there and that you are not just playing any old flight sim or a FPS, you are actually piloting an XWing or are a Jedi Knight.

I think this would be good for PA and having links in game while wouldn't be any good for organising a ETA 8 defence, would keep and retain people's interest in the game and generate more interest in the wider PA Universe.

My alliance is [BIG]ger than yours

[ex LOST], [ex IF], [ex G-II]
Thex is offline   Reply With Quote