User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:46   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
£9k PC Specs

One's for leaving on all day and night for most of the week while running as a workstation whenever as I feel like (raid), the 2nd for 3D work and the box for routing and stuff.

PC 1:

AMD Palomino 1533@1735
Alpha PAL8045 + 80mm YS-Tech Fan
Abit KX7333 w/ Crystal Orb Cooled Northbridge
1024MB (2x512Mb Modules) Samsung PC2700@150Mhz (2-2-2 + Ultra Command Decode But 2T Command Rate)
3Ware Escalade 6410 Storage Switch (BIOS: BE6X 1.07.00.05)
Array 0: 2x80Gb WD Caviar SE w/8mb Cache (64K Stripe)
Array 2: 2x120Gb WD Caviar SE w/ 8mb Cache (512K Stripe)
PNY GF4 Ti4600@325/675 128Mb
Sony CPD-G220 at a Desktop Res of 1152x864 32bit @ 100Hz
3Com 3CR990SVR97 ARM9 Cored Server NIC w/ 256k Unified Cache
3Com 3C905TX Parallel Tasking Desktop NIC
Asus 50x CD Drive
Pioneer 105s DVD Drive (RPC I)
Lite-on 32x LTR32123S CD Burner (Firmware LTR40125S)
Windows 2000 Professional SP3

PC 2

AMD Palomino 1466
GlobalWin SAK-38 + Delta BlackLabel 7000rpm 60mm Fan
IWill KK266-PlusR/BR> 768MB (3x256Mb Modules) Corsair PC150@133Mhz (2-2-2)
60Gb Seagate HD
10Gb Fujitsu HD
Else GF2 Ultra@300/500 64Mb
Generic 17" Monitor at a Desktop Res of 1024x768 32bit @ 85Hz
DLink DFE-530TX VIA Rhine Desktop NIC
Mitsumi 24x CD-Rom
Windows 2000 Professional SP3

Box

Dual Intel Pentium II 350
Supermicro P6DBS w/ onboard Adaptec UW SCSI
640Mb PC100 SDRAM
10Gb Maxtor HD
Creative GeForce DDR 32Mb
Realtek 8139c Desktop NIC w/ 2(2k) FIFO Buffers
Aopen 32x CD Drive
Yamaha 4x2x6 SCSI CD Burner
Redhat Linux 8.0
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:50   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ok
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:59   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
ok
got any white hairs yet Nod?

Flavius - these are 2nd pc specs - a friend is offering to sell 'em to me so I'd change the ram between the 2 systems (I can do so thanks to the mobo's)
----------retired-------
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:00   #4
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Why 3? surely one is enough.

Personally i'd blow the lot on one watercooled silent pc oc'd to a ridiculous level.

Also why on earth have you specced the pc 'for 3d work' with a crap monitor, cpu and gfx?!? 3ds max on 1024x768 doesnt actually fit the full tab panel width (so if your using that its going to be a bit pointless). and when your doing bulk animations i'd expect at least a dual cpu setup to get a decent render performance.

Remember you can only use one at any one time.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:01   #5
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
Flavius - these are 2nd pc specs - a friend is offering to sell 'em to me so I'd change the ram between the 2 systems (I can do so thanks to the mobo's)
Defiantley not worth £9k.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:02   #6
Androme
☆ ♥ 

not heavy 3d work - well yet anyway

I just got myself a LW license after I sold a few old designs hanging around and as far as I've tested it works ok on it

I could use my first workstation instead but I'm keeping things seperate atm (when I get 'em)
----------retired-------
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:04   #7
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:

I could use my first workstation instead but I'm keeping things seperate atm (when I get 'em)
Why?

My current pc beats them all for 3d work and its a heap!
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:06   #8
Coffee
Ensign

For 3d work, the most important part is the monitor. If i had £9k i'd spend at least £2k on that alone.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:12   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Well if you can find me a decent jobby deal for less than £9k featuring 2 pc's - 1 machine with RAID, thermaltake cooling system or something, network cards, cd writing hardware etc. and a 2nd box for less then sure I'll take it

Oh - I just got a link about a Sony monitor - Multiscan F520 - seems stable and good. £770
----------retired-------
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:14   #10
Coffee
Ensign

honestly though, why 3?

So what if it has a tt cooling system? The processors are both slower than mine and I got it for about £60.

Monitor is nice tho.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 12:29   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If youre wanting to do serious graphics work, you should buy an Apple Mac instead.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 12:32   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
with 9k id buy 1 big pc thats scarily fast and has more space both in terms of memory and hdd than you can shake a stick at.

pls explan why u need 3 and not 1?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 12:40   #13
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
With 9k I'd buy a £1.5k laptop and another £500 on some sort of satellite ISP thing and spend the rest on getting my lardy white ass to Australia so I could sit and do all my work on Bondai beach.

Now THAT'S a good use of £9,000, buying 3 PC's ISN'T

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 12:43   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Well if you can find me a decent jobby deal for less than £9k featuring 2 pc's - 1 machine with RAID, thermaltake cooling system or something, network cards, cd writing hardware etc. and a 2nd box for less then sure I'll take it
Christsakes man, go cost the parts on dabs or something.
You could build 4 or 5 substantially better PCs with monitors for £9k if you do it yourself. £1800 per PC (assuming 5) is a very generous budget for a self build operation.
As for not wanting to do it yourself - I hear 2 excuses from people for why they don't want to. They don't know how to - which is crap, because everything comes with instructions and even if it didn't its pretty obvious, and they don't have the time - which is also crap as you can put a PC together in about 30 minutes if you're in a rush. Most of the time is spent installing the software - something you'll have to do anyway.

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 14:31   #15
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
dabs is sometimes quite expencive iirc
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 14:38   #16
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
My PC beats the hell out of any of those machines and cost £900 - where on Earth are you buying them from? Mars?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 14:39   #17
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
dabs is sometimes quite expencive iirc
Then look around, scan or ebuyer or whatever, but it sure as hell won't cost that much.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 14:58   #18
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
Then look around, scan or ebuyer or whatever, but it sure as hell won't cost that much.
hehe, could see who can get all the stated parts for the cheapest (including links) in a competition-type thing.

...or not.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:00   #19
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
With 9K I's buy something that has either Sun or Sisco on it.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:21   #20
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
OPTION 1 :

Sun Blade[tm] 2000 workstation

High performance Sun Blade 2000 workstations are designed for power users with high-performance multiprocessing and high-end graphics needs. They meet the need for performance systems for technical users working with large data sets and powerful visualization applications. New pricing starts at only $7595 (U.S.)!

Buy Online» Contact Me»

Key Features and Benefits
Key Specifications: 900-MHz UltraSPARC III Cu Microprocessor
8MB of Level 2 cache
Support for up to 8 GB of memory
73 GB hard drive standard
Sun[tm] PGX64, Sun[tm] XVR-500 or high end Sun[tm] XVR-1000 graphics accelerator
Solaris[tm] 8 Operating Environment, StarOffice[tm] 6 pre-installed
Expandable to two CPUs, two fibre-channel drives and 4 display output

Key Benefits: Multihead capabilities allow users to display large sets of data and work efficiently.
Deftly handles compute and graphics intensive applications that need multiprocessing capabilities and large expansion capacity.

Key Markets: Electronic design automation (EDA)
Mechanical design (MCAD/MCAE)
GIS (oil & gas)
Finance
Grid computing, compute farms

OPTION 2 :

Sun Fire 15K Server
Massively scalable server ideal for mainframe rehosting, server consolidation and technical computing. Priced from $938,640.00.

* Up to 106 UltraSPARC III processors * Over 1/2 TB of memory
* Supports over 250 TB of storage * Up to 18 Dynamic System Domains

SUN STORE MODELS STARTING AT: $1,474,935.00

personally id go for option 2.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:23   #21
JammyJim
Godfather

oh cray do an "X1" for 2.5million U$D :-)
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:23   #22
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Cisco

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:23   #23
JammyJim
Godfather

oh cray do an "X1" for 2.5million U$D :-)
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:26   #24
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

What have I told you about doubleposting JJ?

Remember - we press the "Submit Reply" button and then we.....
wa....
wai.....
wait!

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 17:25   #25
Idi

For all you people asking 'why do you need 3 pcs' i think you should burn in hell, as i desperatly need a 3rd pc :/ I have an openbsd gateway and theres my dualboot linux/windows pc, but id like a 3rd windows pc to sit well away from all the others so i can leave it on downloading stuff and not worry about the fact i need to reboot to switch os!

And you could buy 3 of the best wintel pcs available for £9k though they probably wouldnt come with a spangly monitor good enough for proper 3D work.

What designs did you sell btw?
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 18:19   #26
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
hehe, could see who can get all the stated parts for the cheapest (including links) in a competition-type thing.
www.pcindex.co.uk

i 'win'

:p
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote