User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Dec 2002, 21:57   #1
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
So I've decided on my manly/nerdy project for the new year

unable to afford an arcade machine i'm going to build myself one.

basiclly it'll involve a 21" tv, lots of mdf, and either an atari or a nes.

setting the controls up wont be to hard with the atari, and assuming i can get one of those beefy nes joysticks a little wiring will get that working fine.

Games wise i want pac-man but I can't remember ever seeing it on the nes. On the otherhand the nes has mario.

what are your opinions on games etc, what would be the better system, are there any other consoles i could try? I thought about the ps1 but i want some old school fun more than anything.

I can get my hands on an atari with 2 joysticks if i like so i could make it with 2 player fun.

PS. I'm not interested in "lol yuoo geek0r pakmin sux0rs and arcad macines is crap!!!11212121335", If i do it right it will be good, if it turns out **** i'll just dismantle it and throw away the wood.

PPS. Yes an emulator would be easier but its just not the same

Xillah
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 22:00   #2
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Are you going to do the standard Mirrored screen or an up front one?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 22:02   #3
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Sounds good to me I've always been tempted to buy one as i get an occasional copy of a vending magazine with adverts from companies that sell them.

I used to love Bomber Jack, on the atari, classic arcade game.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 22:04   #4
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
There's a guy in town that has like 40 of them littering his yard. I'm thinking of backing up my truck one night and making off with a few.

Probably don't work. Oh well, would be a nice project..

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 22:09   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
why using a console, try one of these yahama boards or however they called, those things where lots of great arcadegames where running on. Can't imagine them being very expensive nowadays.

If you stick with a console I certainly would go for a Sega Megadrive, somehow it always felt the most arcadish of all consoles. (with exception of NeoGeo ofcourse)
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 23:18   #6
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Are you going to do the standard Mirrored screen or an up front one?
Up front, but i will be using either a perspex or glass covering a few inches infromt of the tv. The mirrored screen wouldnt work in this case - since i'd be using a console the writing would be the correct way round - meaning it would look like a mirror image when reflected rather than the normal way round way round. :/ ( i think i explained that right.)

I was also going to put the 'hatch' to the front, would be a door with a lock on it for when i want to change the games or consoles. I was originally going to put it on the back, but that would cause problems later.

Another thing i wanted to ask was if anyone knew where i could get transfers for the sides of it, i'm talking the big ass stickers they put on the sides of the old ones like pac man or space invaders.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 23:21   #7
Smugs
Major

Smugs has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Why an Atari/NES whack an XBOX/PS2 in

R3 - [None] - 184:10:12
R4 - [FeaR] - 234:25:3 - [MoW]
R5 - [GLX] - XX:XX:8
R6 - [GLX] - 5:13:6 - [MoC]
R7 - [GLX] - 35:XX:13 - [MoC]
R8 - [Flash] - 12:7:1
R9 - [Did Not Play]
R9.5 - [None] -1:10:19 - [MoW]/[MoD]

==Retired Planetarion Veteran==
Smugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 10:47   #8
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by Smugs
Why an Atari/NES whack an XBOX/PS2 in
heh, load time.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 10:55   #9
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
lol yuoo geek0r pakmin sux0rs and arcad macines is crap!!!11212121335
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:10   #10
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
lol yuoo geek0r pakmin sux0rs and arcad macines is crap!!!11212121335
you know you want one
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:38   #11
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
thats a cool idea, we have old ataris and amigas in our attic, loads of them. i may have to drag them up. we have the original pong up there so that could be interesting
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:49   #12
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
you (last time i looked) can buy arcade style controllers/buttons from maplin if you want to be really authentic.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 12:29   #13
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
you (last time i looked) can buy arcade style controllers/buttons from maplin if you want to be really authentic.
I could, but its rigging them up to work with the nes/atari
Unread 22 Dec 2002, 04:54   #14
Xillah

Hmm, just had an idea.

I have a screwed pc, needs a new mobo or somthing. I'm thinking that maybe i could rig that up in the cabinet with a verion of mame in the start up folder (I'd just clear everything else of).

Basicly it would boot up and load my arcade emulator up straight away.

A bastardised keyboard would be rigged up for the buttons and controll pad, i could even fit a track ball into the front for old school centipede and it could be set up as a mouse if i need to use windows.

Pros:
I can just download new roms in a few seconds rather than having to change cartridges.
Once its built i dont need to buy games
Plenty of people online who can help me with control config

Cons: £100 for a mobo plus a load more for a big ass moniror (need a 21", may live with a 19" though)

If i do decide to do this I'm gonna rig up one using a nes first, I'll just adapt the cabinet later if i choose to change it. I can get the nes for free (My 16 year old cousin will give me his nes, whether he likes it or not, - its been in his attic for about 8 years fs, what a waste)

One problem is will i be able to rig real arcade buttons and joy sticks to the ness controller. Coffee's post led me to a site that sells the parts pretty cheap.

Ohhhhhh, I also found a pac-man nes cartridge! \o\\o//o/