User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Dec 2006, 16:32   #1
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Fate?

Do you believe in fate?

I read an article http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_4911469 this morning and heard a tv snippet on it as well. The tree was 300 years old and gave way and crushed a woman as she slept in her bed.

Clearly there were a lot of factors at work to bring this event about. Some people feel that there is a fate which moves things inexorably to particular conclusions.

Some, such as Traveler, see the "hand of God" in such events.

I tend to be somewhere in the middle. While I don't belive in fate or destiny, there are some things which just seem so improbable that you wonder. "Was it her time to go?" Certainly it was once the roots of the tree let go.

So the question to gd is "How fatalistic are you and what about?"
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 16:34   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Fate?

No element of fate at all, just like it's not fate when I succeed or fail on a dice roll.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 16:37   #3
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't imagine you rolling dice.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 16:40   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
I can't imagine you rolling dice.
How else am I supposed to do leadership tests?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 17:27   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Fate? No.

I solemly believe we carve our own destiny. There are no greater powers acting outside our knowing, what happens is a result of our own doing.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 17:46   #6
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I don't believe in fate, otherwise I'd have married a supermodel with loads of cash instead of my wife...although maybe that is my fate.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:17   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That story seems not to suggest any sort of 'fate' but merely the old adage that 'shit happens'.

There are probably half a dozen scenarios where the woman would have survived (e.g. if she woke up before it fell to get a drink of water, if she was on holiday at the time, working nights that week, the tree fell another direction etc). We can try to attach some great meaning that none of those occurred but what's the point?

Sure, perhaps if your loved one has just died you don't necessarily want to think of it as a meaningless pointless death, but in the cold light of day that's certainly what it seems.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:58   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Determinism in what sense?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:02   #9
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

“Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”

Marcus Cole .. quote from Babylon 5

I'm with him on the subject
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:04   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Surely its supposed to be Yahwe who doesn't play dice.
you never let me have any fun

(besides clearly it's dante who oughtn't play dice ... at least not for money ...)

(besides besides horn's turned into a prententious git hasn't he.)
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:33   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't believe in not believing in things.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:46   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i haven't decided as of yet. i only really used the term as a layman's cop out of explaining in detail as to why i don't believe in "free will" (in the sense of a transcendant causal vacuum).
So what do you like to tell yourself you believe in?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:48   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:

i don't have irc so my choice of topics isn't as diverse as i'd like
We can talk about fate here my internet chum!
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:52   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
i like to believe that one day you'll return to producing more than one sentence per post!
that and eugenics.
We shall see. Also won't you feel horribly inadequate when your firstborn child makes it to second base before you do?

We have seen! Not once, not twice, but thrice in fact.

Quote:
do i have a choice?
Not just one of them but many.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:57   #15
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
We shall see. Also won't you feel horribly inadequate when your firstborn child makes it to second base before you do?
Won't horn will have to have sex anyway to have children to get to second base before him?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:58   #16
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Won't horn will have to have sex anyway to have children to get to second base before him?
No, just jack off into a tube I believe.

Not just any old tube mind horn, this one will need to be a specific sort of tube in a specific sort of place!
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:59   #17
dda
USS Oklahoma

I look at fate as the intersection of nature and nurture.

You were born with particular genes which effect how you will react to certain things. Then things start to happen to you that shape the person you become. There may be some mystical point where free will comes into play. However, I am always skeptical as to just how free our free will is. I would accept that the variables are so myriad that determining the outcome of most things in life is virtually impossible.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 19:59   #18
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
No, just jack off into a tube I believe.

Not just any old tube mind horn, this one will need to be a specific sort of tube in a specific sort of place!
So you're saying it will have to be a very small tube then.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:53   #19
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
using terminology like this can often encourage people to maintain beliefs in the supernatural and indulge false hope and optimism.
saying that you "carve your destiny" lends well to evangelical christian nonsense like "you get what you work for", i.e. that some supernatural force will deliver what you deserve.
i agree that if you work hard and receive lots of money that it's because you did it, not because god rewarded you. so in that sense yes, your carving (working) was the causal factor in your destiny (bank balance). but there is no referee that will gurantee your hard work will pay off or whatever.

anyway, no i don't believe in fate, but i don't really believe in free will either.
Well I can perhaps agree that the terminology is not perfect, but I use them loosely to define a simple concept.

You are right in saying that no action guarentees the result you are seeking, but I do believe that almost anything is achievable if you want it badly enough. It all comes down to how you work the system and plain old persistance.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 10:24   #20
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

fate, no
but I do believe we're unable to control our "destiny" tho
since it's not fate that limits us but society
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 16:48   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a marxist, and henceforth I base my life on reason and science, not fate.

MATERIALISM FTW!
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 17:44   #22
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
fate, no
but I do believe we're unable to control our "destiny" tho
since it's not fate that limits us but society
well if you want to put it that way, society can be controlled both directly and indirectly.. thereby shaping your destiny.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 17:55   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov

MATERIALISM FTW!
How very fatalistic.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:18   #24
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
well if you want to put it that way, society can be controlled both directly and indirectly.. thereby shaping your destiny.
only if you're a puppetmaster
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:21   #25
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:

MATERIALISM FTW!
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Marxist Bases Life on Reason and Science. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 01:07   #26
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
How very fatalistic.
It's not fatalistic, you dumb head.

It's dialectical you know.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 01:17   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
It's not fatalistic, you dumb head.

It's dialectical you know.
Basing your life on anything is fatalistic!
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 01:22   #28
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

At least I don't base it around Guinness.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 08:37   #29
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Fate?

I don't believe in fate, at least not on an individual level. Perhaps mankind as a species is fated to greatness, at least in the long term. Although in the long long term entropy wins and all that's left are a few cooling cinders.

It might be interesting though.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote