User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Dec 2005, 14:47   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Someone explain my strange dream ta

Not strange as in "omg carrots with legs?!", strange as in I have no idea where any of the events or the settings came from. I hadn't been watching anything before I went to bed or anything.

We were all living in this little town that was quite nice (by we I mean just me and "people", there was no-one there from real life or anything). The town was fairly normal except that there was a mine there (no I don't know what it was mining). The mine wasn't very normal. The entrance was more like an old subway station, and to get down to the work levels you had to climb down a rickety metal staircase. There was no winch stack or anything like that, and the entrance was at the bottom of a road on a housing estate.

For some reason everyone from the town had to work at the mine. I don't know why either, but we did. Anyway, this time we went, there was a fire. As everyone hated the place so much, a group of us decided to sabbotage the place by ripping open a gas pipe (don't ask me why there was one down a mine, there just was). With the deed done, we all evacuated up the stairs, but the fire service had already arrived and firemen were coming down. I remember this part the most because one of their hoses had ripped and there was water pouring down the stairs, and people were slipping back. We tried to warn them that there was a gas leak but they went on anyway, and we got out.

A few minutes later there was a big explosion and the mine collapsed, causing the ground to subside and some nearby houses to fall down as well. For some reason that was pretty much it. We all walked off in silence knowing we had killed the firemen, and that was the end.

I don't normally remember dreams. I remember having them and I know if they were strange or not, but can't remember the details, so this one is unusual in lots of ways.

I'm open to any suggestions because at the moment I'm wondering where the hell all that came from.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 31 Dec 2005 at 14:55.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 14:54   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Someone explain my strange dream ta

Scorpio
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 15:18   #3
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

could be a previous life

could be your future :eek:

could be indigestion
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 15:34   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

pseudorandom neuron firings in your brain

dream analysis is all made up
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 15:54   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
dream analysis is all made up
I agree.

It always puzzled me when people feel able to say with certainty that a specific item can represent this one thing as surely that item will mean different things to each person.
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 16:05   #6
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

For once i agree with nod

Also scorpio <3
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 16:28   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
pseudorandom ?

and i wouldn't be so sure that it's all made up.
Well, it's made-up in the sense someone literally made it up (like most things really) but the problem is there's no real way of testing any hypothesis one might have (since there's too many factors involved). That's not necessarily a problem, there are other forms of knowledge outside of a narrow hypothesis/experiment model.

It's bending the stick too far to say it's all random or pseudorandom - I've watched a film about aliens and then gone to bed and had a dream with aliens in it. It's hardly a stretch of the imagination to link the two events. Similarly, when I'm feeling stressed my dreams generally reflect this. So it seems likely that (i) our dreams have fragments of our conscious knowledge in them (well, duh) and (ii) our dreams might reflect our emotional state at the time. Anything more than this and we seem to drift into the realm of bollocks talking though. A lot of Freud seems to be the worst excesses of literary criticism transposed onto human psychology.

Since I love analogies I'm fond of imaginging our dreams are like some sort of defragmentation process. As our memories shift from short term to long term (or whatever the process is) we get random flashes of what 'file' our brain is handling at the time. Part of our brain tries to interpret this in the form of a narrative (often after we've actually had the 'dream' - when retelling dreams it's often difficult to remember what order things happened in). So if your short term memory is full of some sort of trauma (e.g. being attacked) it's unsurprising that you'd dream about it, albeit mixed in with random stuff or stuff from your long term memory.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 17:07   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
and i wouldn't be so sure that it's all made up.
aside from the joke i just made about it being about as reliable as astrology, i would hesistate before telling someone with say a reoccuring theam in their dreams about being shown up in public that it didn't reflect some form of anxiety that they feel in social situations.
And how would you test whether this was correct? If they claimed not to have anxiety, would you accept that your interpretation of their dream was wrong, or would you invent some dubious theory about 'subconscious anxiety' in order to save your interpretation?

Quote:
Even for "latent content", as freud described it (i.e. methaphorical content of dreams and what they really mean) may not be so ridiculous. Obviously freud's habbit of reducing everything to repressed sexual urges is pretty churlish, but is it so strange to think that we may express/think/dream of certain situations that are tied in with other feelings ?
There probably is some connection, but I doubt that anyone has any real idea what it is. I dont really think theres any reason for believing that dream analysis or Rorschach tests are any more scientific than the I-Ching.

There are certain common-sense 'intuitions' about what certain types of dreams mean - for instance, many people will think it 'makes sense' that dreaming negative things about yourself points to some kind of deep-rooted insecurity. But common-sense is often wrong, and theres no reason to think that it is right here. Look at the far-more-believable-than-most-'subconsious'-literature-yet-still-completely-wrong theories about homosexulity that came out of Rorshauch testing for instance (seeing penises in 'random' inkblot patterns must mean that a person has homosexual tendencies right?? Well actually, no.)

edit: better source

Last edited by Nodrog; 31 Dec 2005 at 17:27.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 17:10   #9
Charjerk

Charjerk is infamous around these parts

[quote=Dante Hicks]
Since I love analogies I'm fond of imaginging our dreams are like some sort of defragmentation process...QUOTE]

Perfect analysis. Impressive approach.
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 17:59   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It sounds like you hate your job and want to blow up the world, dude.
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 03:04   #11
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

You subconsciously want to sleep with your mother/sister/brother/father/cat/dog. At least, that's what Freud would say if he were here
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 10:03   #12
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
For once i agree with nod

Also scorpio <3

good god, thank you

(sorry about the bump, but i felt I really had to show my appreciation)

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 15:03   #13
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Erm.. I did mean star sign...

Sorry to let you down
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 15:10   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We've a cutting from the Metro from the other day, where the horroscopes all, without fail, told everyone regardless of star-sign that 'talking to anyone will only backfire today' but rephrased for each sign.

I think the auto-generator got stuck =(