User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:11   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Far Cry

Having just completed the demo, and come in my pants, literally. I think we have on our hands what is set to be the best shooter since Halflife, and quite possibly, the game of the year.

Doom 3 and Halflife 2 are going to have to go some to beat this is all I can say.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:13   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Far Cry

Far Cry is a load of good graphics attached to a game that had potential, but ends up being mediocre at best.

The AI, for instance, is DIRE, and the game is based around how the AI works.

[edit]

And whilst hinting at such things is generally acceptable, saying 'HEY I WANT TO PIRATE THIS GAME' isn't chipper.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:15   #3
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I found the AI to be shockingly deadly, ok, there are occasions where it bollocks up, but the way they rally fire support, have guys flank you, pin you down with fire while others move etc, was awesome.

What level did you play it on?

[Edit] I cant wait for the release date, that is all, I shall amend my post accordingly.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:16   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
I found the AI to be shockingly deadly, ok, there are occasions where it bollocks up, but the way they rally fire support, have guys flank you, pin you down with fire while others move etc, was awesome.

What level did you play it on?
'Normal' or whatever they call it. It bollocksed up a lot. (I've also heard tales of it being rediculously bad, such as walking straight at a person in undergrowth, and NOT STOPPING WALKING even though they're touching the player character, resulting in walking on the spot).

Plus no quicksaves is a bad idea in a nonmission based FPS.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:30   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
'Normal' or whatever they call it. It bollocksed up a lot. (I've also heard tales of it being rediculously bad, such as walking straight at a person in undergrowth, and NOT STOPPING WALKING even though they're touching the player character, resulting in walking on the spot).

Plus no quicksaves is a bad idea in a nonmission based FPS.
no missions, surely it has checkpoint saves?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:35   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
no missions, surely it has checkpoint saves?
It has autosaves occasionally, but it's the same problem as morrowind; you can run around and do stuff for hours without ever activating one, then you're screwed if the game dies.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:50   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
And whilst hinting at such things is generally acceptable, saying 'HEY I WANT TO PIRATE THIS GAME' isn't chipper.
Why not?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:57   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Why not?
Because, whilst it has always been the position to oppose copyright breaking and the like, and noone can really be bothered to enforce it any more, it's likely that outright requests will be removed for appearances.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:59   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Because, whilst it has always been the position to oppose copyright breaking and the like, and noone can really be bothered to enforce it any more, it's likely that outright requests will be removed for appearances.
God damn capitalists.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 22:00   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
God damn capitalists.
I'm rereading the first great working class novel at work up
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 01:03   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I AM AWAITING THIEF 3 HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW WEBSITE IT IS ONLINE OMG OMG OMG ROXOR ROFLZ THIEF 3
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 01:05   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Incidentally, Far Cry does look and play rather ace, at least from what I've gathered from both of the demo's. Unfortunately the AI does have the occasional ability to **** up immensely; I've had cases of characters literally standing three feet away from me and giving me the time to turn around, think 'o shit', aim, fire and kill them.

Hopefully there'll be patches, as the game itself has an absolutely excellent feel to it.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 01:48   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Thief 3 (or 'Thief' as it has been confusingly renamed) looks terrible.

Damn you Ion Storm
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 02:00   #14
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed the Demo but when i came to play it... suprise suprise the graphics card could not handle it oh well easy comes easy go.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 02:35   #15
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
No, you got the original by mistake.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 02:56   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
From what I've seen it's looking fairly ace. The 3rd person view is of course fairly silly, but you don't need to use that anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
No, you got the original by mistake.
Ho ho ho.

Although I don't see why they couldn't have gone for Thief III: Deadly Shadows, instead of just Thief: Deadly Shadows.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 09:33   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
....best shooter...Halflife
For the love of mercy tell me you didn't just use those two words in the same sentence.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:12   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
For the love of mercy tell me you didn't just use those two words in the same sentence.
Yeah, because Half Life isn't universally recognised as the best FPS single player ever made or something.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:18   #19
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, because Half Life isn't universally recognised as the best FPS single player ever made or something.
Rubbish it's an abomination of the Quake engine.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:21   #20
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Just been playing Far Cry...

Think I'm gonna need a new comp
The game only runs properly in Low quality mode, hehe.
(2000XP+, 128MB Ti4200, 1GB RAM)

Tried to run it in Very High quality, it looks awesome, but it's unplayable
But it's quite fun to play indeed. Try going beyond the 'normal' difficulty, and do the toughest :eek:

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:24   #21
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

i am not a fps player, not at all but it's always funny to see people calling HL a crap game while the entire ****ing planet, from housewives to hardcore gamers, faggot websites to professional gaming magazines recognize Half life as being an excellent single player game.

I've played it for about 1 day, after i deleted it just because I don't like running around in 3d corridors shooting things and finding keys and the likes but I know it is at least a well executed game.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:24   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Rubbish it's an abomination of the Quake engine.
Why does the engine it's running matter in the slightest?
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:25   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I've played it for about 1 day, after i deleted it just because I don't like running around in 3d corridors shooting things and finding keys and the likes but I know it is at least a well executed game.
...one of the best things about half life is that there isn't any 'FIND THE BLUE KEY' shit. It's all puzzle solving.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:27   #24
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

ah well, i just didnt like getting stuck in corridors lookign for solutions. I never liked first persons. I enjoyed Doom after that all became boring to me.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:40   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm not much of a fps lover either. Especially when it plays in tight rooms and scary corridors. It always scares the shit out of me when those scary monsters/germans pop up around the corner.

[edit] Oh, but LOOOVE BF1942-like games like Delta force, BF, DC and the likes , with large open areas where I can spot the baddies from miles away [/edit]
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:42   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Play System Shock 2 or Aliens Vs Predator, SI, and then see how nervy half life is.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:17   #27
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
...one of the best things about half life is that there isn't any 'FIND THE BLUE KEY' shit. It's all puzzle solving.
Aside from the fact I prefer the good old "FIND THE BLUE KEY" shit, half-life just had too many bits where I found myself thinking "If I don't find something to shoot soon I'm going to unload every round I've got into my one and only companion who happens to be the most retarded and irritating shit of a security guard ever to misfortune a security complex". The game was ruined for me by dumb ai and badly scripted events, HL2 on the other hand looks more promising.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:19   #28
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Aliens vs Predator is fairly nerve-wrecking, although it doesn't touch "Down in the Bonehoard"
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:35   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Aside from the fact I prefer the good old "FIND THE BLUE KEY" shit, half-life just had too many bits where I found myself thinking "If I don't find something to shoot soon I'm going to unload every round I've got into my one and only companion who happens to be the most retarded and irritating shit of a security guard ever to misfortune a security complex". The game was ruined for me by dumb ai and badly scripted events, HL2 on the other hand looks more promising.
So what you're saying is you prefer Q2 to half life? gg, nextmap.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:50   #30
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you talk utter toss.

I cant be bothered to address your post further because my tossometre is off the scale.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:52   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Frankly, I've never been a great fan of Half-Life either. I much preferred Quake I.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:57   #32
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Aliens vs Predator is fairly nerve-wrecking, although it doesn't touch "Down in the Bonehoard"
AvP and AvP2 had me quite literally shitting my pants at some stages, the first human level on AvP2, you have to go into some small building to turn the power on, you've been in the level 5 minutes, you've not seen an alien yet, but you know theres a predator floating around.

You approach the building, the motion scanner bleeps away, suddenly you register movement, you turn to face it, unloading a couple of shots...into a swinging crane hook, ****. You move further into the building, something is alive down here, you can feel it, you creep through the ever darkening corridor. There is no resistance, nothing, until you reach the switch, guess all the aliens went home eh?

Casually you flip the switch, and then, oh shit, all hell breaks loose. I guess that woke them up! Aliens start flocking at you from all directions, theres one on the walls! Blam, shit theres another one on the cieling. Standing and fighting you have no chance, theres too many of them, and they're too ****ing fast.

You run blindly back towards the way you came, aliens are everywhere, coming at you from all directions. You blast away crazily, unmindful of how many you've killed so far, however many it is, they're are still more coming! Finally you break back into daylight, the last of the aliens on your tail catches a pulse grenade to the forehead, your squad waiting by the dropship covers you, taking out the last of the alien horde.

and the sad thing is, I never got beyond level 2 because I was so scared