User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 16:43   #1
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
Alliance names, old and new

ITT u tell me who came up with the names of the old and new alliance, as long as they are big, and I pay attention because it been bugging me. Also if any one knows why certain alliance where called what they are that would be much appreciated. I'm guessing Sid came up with the name of 'Fury' but why ffs, did he want to make them sound big and nasty or was it just a cool sounding word. Its like hundered times better than Eclipse (although having looked up the definition of Eclipse http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eclipse, It made me laugh)

A fall into obscurity or disuse; a decline: “A composer... often goes into eclipse after his death and never regains popularity” (Time).

heh

So anyway you got the idea now show of your knowledge pls.
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 17:25   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Alliance names, old and new

Xanadu and Elysium are both names of idyllic, peaceful places....some would say strange ispiration for an alliance-name?
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 17:36   #3
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Xanadu and Elysium are both names of idyllic, peaceful places....some would say strange ispiration for an alliance-name?
Elysium is referred to as the place in Greek mythology where war heroes go to after dying. It does have a war connection, although its not as blatent as 'Fury' or 'Legion'. Since I took over Ely tech ancient Greek history is a pre-requisite. As you can see by our themed IRC network...
Code:
Acheron.ElysiumHQ.com       
Thanatos.ElysiumHQ.com   
Venus.ElysiumHQ.com     
Services.ElysiumHQ.com 
Olympus.ElysiumHQ.com
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 17:58   #4
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

afaik Rock was born from the basic requirement needed in the game roids aka Rocks but some ppl believe its to do with the original HC's musical preferances, you'd have to drag TGO back from r/l to find out for sure

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 18:17   #5
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

FAnG is an abbreviation for Furious Angels next Generation. As you can hear, FAnG comes from FA and nG

FA was a r2-5 alliance raized by Hinch and led by myself and him.
nG was run and founed by lockhead and leff (not sure about nG history)

FAnG is the result of a new project we both started end r6.

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 18:29   #6
Morca
on the road again

Morca is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno if anyone remembers Insomnia in r8, an Adelante battlegroup led by darki and girlee which went to fury after Adelante ceased to exist.
we had a poll about the name and it for sure was better than 'spearheads' (sorry, darki ).

r3: [nv] r4: [nv] r5: [nv/WPO] r6: [WP] r7: [WP] r8: [Adelante|Insomnia] r9: [VsN] r9.5: [VsN] r10: [VsN]
Morca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 18:44   #7
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

dont know if we are a "major" alliance - but ill just reply

at the time we founded vision (somehwere midround 7) we needed a name for our alliance. we wanted to be different (yea !!) than the others as the main idea was that we hated the blocking created in former rounds.

we told ourselves that we arent like the others - that we are better (how arrogant ). we tried and still try to be an alliance for the members etc. that was our "Vision" - to be a fair place for people who were fed up with the superblocking etc.

that we called VisioN - our VisioN
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 18:55   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Elysium is referred to as the place in Greek mythology where war heroes go to after dying. It does have a war connection, although its not as blatent as 'Fury' or 'Legion'. Since I took over Ely tech ancient Greek history is a pre-requisite. As you can see by our themed IRC network...
Code:
Acheron.ElysiumHQ.com       
Thanatos.ElysiumHQ.com   
Venus.ElysiumHQ.com     
Services.ElysiumHQ.com 
Olympus.ElysiumHQ.com
I know (posting the services URL doesn't really fit, mind, and afaik, Venus is Roman not Greek...)
But to me anyway, it brings images of peaceful fields, not blood and gore...it's not a bad thing
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 18:59   #9
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

davidb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the main idea was that we hated the blocking created in former rounds.
v v o m m ?
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:05   #10
Morca
on the road again

leg spoke in past present, davidb :P
on a sidenote: i dont think VsN regrets anything.

r3: [nv] r4: [nv] r5: [nv/WPO] r6: [WP] r7: [WP] r8: [Adelante|Insomnia] r9: [VsN] r9.5: [VsN] r10: [VsN]
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:06   #11
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb
v v o m m ?
i guess you didnt read the topic ?

why names were found, and if you want to talk about vvomm with me you can find me on irc before posting useless shit here.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:20   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I know (posting the services URL doesn't really fit, mind, and afaik, Venus is Roman not Greek...)
But to me anyway, it brings images of peaceful fields, not blood and gore...it's not a bad thing

Elysium is latin though so it sort of does fit with the roman thing. Plus it was where those favoured by the gods used to go when they died, and as we should all well know warriors were those favoured above all.

PS Please keep on topic. We have enough senseless gibberish about blocking threads.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:24   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Seeing as nobody from legion has posted yet.....legion came from the 17th cluster in r1 of PA where they were named after the XVII legion which was one of three lost in the Tuetoburg Wald in 9AD where, according to legend, they fought to the last man. These three legions were also never named which separates them from the normal legions at a glance. VtS stands for Victuri te Salutant, they who are about to win salute you, which is a spin-off of the Roman gladatorial salute "We who are about to die salute you", addressed to the Emperor before combat.

Deus ex machina is the latin translation of the greek theos ek mekhanes, god from a machine. In greek (and obviously roman) drama this was a character introduced to solve a supposedly insoluble problem in the plot. At a wild guess as my memory isn't so good I imagine deus was so named considering the intention of it's founders to solve the blocking problems that PA was suffering.

I should probably leave the rest to the alliance HCs who came up with the names heh.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 4 Nov 2003 at 19:35.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:34   #14
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point

NoS is officially offspring from The Legion (VtS back then still).

It is a term best translated into: "New Order of Ages" or the more convenient (but wrong) translation: "New World Order". It is used in the myth of The Illuminati, to describe the goal they had (which is to be accomplished by deception, intrigue and conspiracy), which should be the consequence of ruling the (economic) world behind the scenes. The Illuminati were part of the Guild of the Freemasonry.

I could go on for ages and ages (I did some extensive research on this subject back when my life consisted of NoS only).

An insteresting site to find out more about this can be found here.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 21:16   #15
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Howling Rain came about in Round2. -=42=- had basically merged into ICD (although it was still external for some members - was a strange situation;P) and ICD were in the process of creating Squads.

I wanted to make an 1337 -=42=- squad and give it a name which allowed good themes and imagery for gal banners ect. I've always admired the wolf, so thought it would be a nice idea to link the squads name to this most magnificent of creatures

"Howling" for obvious reasons and "Rain", well it was to signify a shower of wolven ships battering down and it also sounds like "Reign".
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 22:21   #16
Morca
on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Howling Rain came about in Round2. -=42=- had basically merged into ICD (although it was still external for some members - was a strange situation;P) and ICD were in the process of creating Squads.

I wanted to make an 1337 -=42=- squad and give it a name which allowed good themes and imagery for gal banners ect. I've always admired the wolf, so thought it would be a nice idea to link the squads name to this most magnificent of creatures

"Howling" for obvious reasons and "Rain", well it was to signify a shower of wolven ships battering down and it also sounds like "Reign".

just curious: did you ever consider becoming a wing of WP instead of NoS? would've fit quiet well considered the names. i remember we had a former sovereign allaince joining us as a wing back in r7 (vVv).

Unread 5 Nov 2003, 13:37   #17
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

vVv were rather useful in Round 7 providing us with Newx arbiter protection, it was quite amusing especially when Wolfpack refused Xanadu a retal on us despite us being number 1 in the universe (Blatently too good for Wolfpack) and having smacked down several high profile Bull and Xanadu HC galaxies. I can't believe we got to Round 7 and alliances were still run in the way Wolfpack and vVv were they wouldn't have been out of place in Round 2
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 15:01   #18
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Xanadu is perhaps a peaceful place... But it belonged to one the greatest conquerors the world has ever seen .
We went to war with our ships, and when we came back to Xanadu, everything was calm and quiet. Our place to relax

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 19:12   #19
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
afaik Rock was born from the basic requirement needed in the game roids aka Rocks but some ppl believe its to do with the original HC's musical preferances, you'd have to drag TGO back from r/l to find out for sure
Nah, TGO rocked, he wanted a rocking alliance that collected rocks. Nothing about music My old galm8 \0/
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 19:35   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

*Wakey Pretends we are back in r2 to I can get away as posting as a major alliance

F-Crew is devired from the full name of The Farnborough Crew. This wasnt really supposed to be our name but while throwing the website together I needed a development name to use and seeing as our alliance was initially supposed to be one that united players from Farnborough together that seemed like an ok name to use as a placeholder that i could replace later. However Mike and Bazz werent particularry creative when it came to names and I was too busy doing the site so a better name wasnt thought of and it just ended up sticking. Our name really didnt do us much harm really though (well atleats not after we introduced the abriviation, people had trouble spelling farnborough at first )so i guess a names not that important
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 21:52   #21
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile
I'm guessing Sid came up with the name of 'Fury' but why ffs, did he want to make them sound big and nasty or was it just a cool sounding word. Its like hundered times better than Eclipse (although having looked up the definition of Eclipse http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eclipse, It made me laugh)

A fall into obscurity or disuse; a decline: “A composer... often goes into eclipse after his death and never regains popularity” (Time).

heh

I suggested the name 'the Furies' or 'Fury'. I had been using (and still am, tho shortened) the name of one of the Furies as my own nick, and liked the feel.

We needed a new name after r1, because, for obvious reasons, c7r just wasnt going to cut it anymore.

The sound is cool and the meaning is cool in both its modern and mythological settings (pure, distilled and focused anger.... or the whole relentless, dark, avengers thing). And yer, it does sound big and nasty.

The fact that it is very short is also a big point in its favor. We could use our actual name as a nick tag, and in gal names, rather than some silly acronym or abreviation. ( vVv, TE, WaC, BT, Xan, etc)

Cryptic, Ghengis, Sid, and the rest of c7r agreed, and we changed our name for the beginning of r2.

[Fury]Tisiphone

Last edited by Tis; 5 Nov 2003 at 21:58.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 22:19   #22
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
ITT u tell me who came up with the names of the old and new alliance, as long as they are big, and I pay attention because it been bugging me. Also if any one knows why certain alliance where called what they are that would be much appreciated. I'm guessing Sid came up with the name of 'Fury' but why ffs, did he want to make them sound big and nasty or was it just a cool sounding word. Its like hundered times better than Eclipse (although having looked up the definition of Eclipse http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eclipse, It made me laugh)

heh

I came up with the name Eclipse and the name stuck mostly because there were no real better suggestions.

Infact, I have used Eclipse in other things and it simply came from there.

In ancient times, eclipses were, and among unenlightened people they still are, superstitiously regarded as forerunners of evil fortune, a sentiment of which occasional use is made in literature

This was also a main forerunner to why it was used. I know myself and Rob found it highly amusing.

I always went with the more cultist/mythical feel for the Eclipse rather than the celestial phenonenmon.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 22:36   #23
Tis

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Zhil, i always kinda hoped it was ment as an ironic statement regarding the state of planetarion
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 06:21   #24
TheBull
Ph33r Us!

TheBull is infamous around these partsTheBull is infamous around these parts

How about some of the older alliances including:
Concordium / WaC
BlueTuba
Yan-Isleth
Sedition
G-II
TE / TheEmpire
CELL
Ministry
TFD
LDK
NewDawn
ReBorn
LOST
Hirr
IPC
TheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 09:37   #25
Morca
on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
I came up with the name Eclipse and the name stuck mostly because there were no real better suggestions.
hmm... there was a really small alliance called Eclipse in round 5 already. named after the founder: a weirdo from australia who was in my gal. dont think he's still around. Germania might remember him since we were that gal begging for XXV protection half round til i joined WPO.

Unread 6 Nov 2003, 09:39   #26
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

The history of TFD started so long ago not many are still around fron that time. Founded around +/- 6 may 2000 (exact date unknown) by Cliff. Full name: The Frying Dutchmen.

On our website there is a long bullshit story about how he found a name, but due renovations on the site the English version is temporarily unavailable. Will be recovered soon, but now only the Dutch version is readable at http://www.fryingdutch.net/members/show.php?ml=158
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 12:19   #27
Zzz
Lemming

Zzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull
Hirr
its hirr ffs!
Zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 15:53   #28
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz
its hirr ffs!
Well to carry the thread on, I'd better ask why, and why the "n" if FAnG is lowercase and the "N" in VisioN is in caps?

Maybe FAnG and VisioN should swap Ns?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 20:24   #29
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_r
Well to carry the thread on, I'd better ask why, and why the "n" if FAnG is lowercase and the "N" in VisioN is in caps?

Maybe FAnG and VisioN should swap Ns?

hm, it has no special meaning, even the writing of Vision isnt the mistake of life. it was just for the looking.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 21:01   #30
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Vengeance: The original VGN was a small alliance, which became a part of bd (BlackDeath, dont ask me why taht name was chosen, the alliance was founded in r2, and I joined in r3...). It was founded in r3, and became a part of bd in r6 (some would say BD, which was used from r5 atleast, possibly r4, but I prefer bd, as that was what I joined back in the days).

In r8 bd was allied with UV (will point Starlock to this thread, so he can give the reason for Ultra Violence - they had a japanese theme, altho I cant quite see the link between japanese and ultra violence), and we desided to merge for the rest of the round for practical reasons. What name? VD. Had many good comments on that one ;-). But, as I'm sure we all recall, PA went down in r8. Members started leaving from both UV and bd, leaving us with fewer members by the day. We (allright, they, I was retired in r8) decided the best course of action was to stay merged, as either side would be too small to be functional.

A poll was placed at our websites, and all members got a vote. I can't recall all the options, but I think I voted for The Horde (I was playing wc3 alot back then - think I'll play some more after this post), and the option which won was Vengeance.

We think it reflects the "never giving up" code both UV and bd had before the merge (Gayle's declaration of war against furgion in r7 for example), and its the course of action we like to stick to.

It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 21:31   #31
Tis

but if you live on your knees you have a chance to stab them in the back when they're distracted.
Unread 6 Nov 2003, 21:35   #32
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_r
Well to carry the thread on, I'd better ask why,

I'm probably not the best suited to explain this, but i could try to anyway.
hirr originates from a clan who used to play AQ2 before PA even went online. There was one person named Cihset, who pretty much "created" the word hirr back in the AQ days. hirr was used to express yourself when you were excited over something. Maybe you just got fragged, or perhaps you got a nice frag on somebody. The name hirr was picked by the ones who was there when the alliance was created.

Having it non-capsed has just kind of tagged along..seeing as it never was a name, but an expression rather.
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 07:02   #33
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Fx9 originally stood for Federation X 9, and related to a C alliance in r2. We then just became Fx9 and left it at that. We merged with Dragons (the original ones from r2) and decided to stick with Fx9, although i believe we were supposed to be called Federation Dragons from that point. Fx9 went on to become Immortal after merging with Century...But Add and I shouted at each other alot, and the merger failed. I think that's when Maddix left us and buggered off over to Legion too.

ICD stood for Interplanetary Core Defence or something, but you'd have to dig up Virii or OneColourRed to check that. I remember HR forming actually when I was ICD HC.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 10:03   #34
Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
blackkdeath merged VGN in round 3 not round 2. Blackdeath at that point had some superb members and a brilliant defensive capability. We refused to let anyone driop our name - we were hugely loyal to bd and where it had come from so no compromise on the name could take place.

However teh merger was brilliant for blackdeath and brought in some very enthusiastic young members (corey, dragon, jonni), backed with teh Blackdeath hc round 3 bd went from strength to strength ;-)

Round 2 we had maybe 20 members - they were all top 50 though except me and numb

(Note: long day, grumpy, etc. need excuse to go off. will probably apologize come morning.)

Frankly i dont care about 'blackdeath', and i doubt anyone else, who wasnt in it, does either.

I had a top 50 planet in r2, and i cant remember ever hearing of you, and when on earth did you have 18 top 50 players, cuz it sure as heck wasnt at the end of the round (the only time it actually counts).

I count 4 top 50 planets listed as Fury/VtS/WaC/BT, and one of those was mine.

http://www.caeneus.org/planetarion/round2planets.html
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 16:43   #35
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrick
Fx9 originally stood for Federation X 9, and related to a C alliance in r2. We then just became Fx9 and left it at that. We merged with Dragons (the original ones from r2) and decided to stick with Fx9, although i believe we were supposed to be called Federation Dragons from that point. Fx9 went on to become Immortal after merging with Century...But Add and I shouted at each other alot, and the merger failed. I think that's when Maddix left us and buggered off over to Legion too.

ICD stood for Interplanetary Core Defence or something, but you'd have to dig up Virii or OneColourRed to check that. I remember HR forming actually when I was ICD HC.
Wasn't Dragons from r3 ?
Believe my gal-mate was in charge of it. WHIP (& Nemesis and Micro)

-edit-
Oh no, they were called Dragon (without the 's')

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:18   #36
Geert
sexeh lap dog

Geert is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
vVv were rather useful in Round 7 providing us with Newx arbiter protection, it was quite amusing especially when Wolfpack refused Xanadu a retal on us despite us being number 1 in the universe (Blatently too good for Wolfpack) and having smacked down several high profile Bull and Xanadu HC galaxies. I can't believe we got to Round 7 and alliances were still run in the way Wolfpack and vVv were they wouldn't have been out of place in Round 2
Weird, I checked for the first time in like, 6 months on this forum, and people still talk about vVv It's been a real change for me since i quit last round, and i cut clean from all online games, etc
But since this is my last year, I might play again next round, or the round after...
Maybe vVv will exist again, if I'm very drunk

Hope to see you all soonishly
Geert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 22:09   #37
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tis
(Note: long day, grumpy, etc. need excuse to go off. will probably apologize come morning.)

Frankly i dont care about 'blackdeath', and i doubt anyone else, who wasnt in it, does either.
Hopefully you won't take it personally if I suggest you go take a flying **** at a rolling donut.

I was never in BD and I'm interested in the origins of the alliance. Of course I was one of the VGN HC so I kinda know some of it but it's always interesting to find out more.

I was never Eclipse but I was interested to find out from Zh|l where the name came from and it's associated imagery.

I also like Rumad and I generally enjoy his posts (as long as he never revives the Proud to be FAnG campaign!) so am interested in what he has to say. xtothez usually has something interesting to say as well but I've never been a member of Ely, you get my point here?

Reading about Eclipse/Dragons/Ely/WP all the time is DULL for those not involved in those alliances. Yes we're interested in knowing what's going on amongst the leaders but this is Alliance Discussions not Big Alliance DIscussions. All PA alliances have a place here not just the ones you are interested in.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 22:35   #38
Tis

Quote:
ITT u tell me who came up with the names of the old and new alliance, as long as they are big.
If youre interested in the origins of crappy little alliances Gayle, thats great. Make a thread for them.
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 22:40   #39
Tis

Quote:
bridge, rhine, falc, tubs, vegeta (aka cyrille) were all members. I cnat remember most nicks as was so long ago. bd was part of WaC though till we left as stated above

[EDIT] aero was another member before he joined tpe too.
Who? Where are they on the end of round list?

You cant really claim top 50 members for people who were just in the top 50 at some point in the round. If you want to say you had them, before you got knocked down by legion or whatever, say that.
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 01:21   #40
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morca
hmm... there was a really small alliance called Eclipse in round 5 already. named after the founder: a weirdo from australia who was in my gal. dont think he's still around. Germania might remember him since we were that gal begging for XXV protection half round til i joined WPO.

Since when did I care for/know about small alliances? :/

Also, it might an interest for ppl to know that there was a small alliance that produced a document referring to its structure that Sid found useful and he gave me a copy to read when I became Executive to understand my duties better. Can't remember the name of said alliance though :/

Wrath

Original name was Rapier, which was suggested by Lokken when he found out about the project "by mistake" i.e me telling him but noone tell Sid :/

Wrath was a natural evolution upon it and fitted so much better with Fury. I can't remember exactly who suggested it but it was either Lokken, Sid, Meth or myself. (I doubt it was me though.)

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 13:26   #41
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Quote:
blackkdeath merged VGN in round 3 not round 2.
If u read my post again u see that I say VGN merged into bd in r6, and was formed in r3. I think the alliance u are refering to is CvS, CorvuS, which only existed for a short period, after the alliances DTA (Dont Trust Anyone) and SGF (Small Gang of Figthers) merged.

I joined DTA late one night when Era (Eraror back then... of Bob the builder world) asked me, but I later forgot about it, as it was abit late, and I was tired. Later some time (cant recall, must've been a few days) I asked era for the key to the wing-channel of the federation wing I was in (was common with more than 1 alliance back then), and he gave me the key to DTA-priv (it was the nasty word starting on f and ending on uck). I told him I wanted that other key, but then I thought for a moment... the next day I asked era if I was a member of DTA, and he said yes, but DTA was no more, as it had merged with SGF.
Thus, CvS. Not long after CvS became a part of bd, I remember I got on 5mins before the timelimit to register in bd went out... had been away that weekend.

So, in short: no, ur wrong, ur talking about CvS, not VGN :-P

Oh, to whoever it was who complained about me and Rumad posting about bd: BlackDeath was a big alliance back then, if u can find Rumad's post about his alliance history u'll find that out quite clearly. I agree with Gayle, Rumad is one of the more enjoyable posters on this forum, as he makes alot more sense and better posts than most of the trolls here.
Rumad: About bd members: I've started to set a "ex bd-member of the day" in #bd 2day its _4LoM_, and I try to recall names from those long lost days... I have the old log file from #bd in rounds 3, and I read it and thinks back to the old days :-] Its enjoyable, but abit sad.

Last edited by Quad; 8 Nov 2003 at 13:33.
Unread 9 Nov 2003, 07:25   #42
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

On behalf of Sith - the name NewDawn is um...fairly self explanatory.

I would like to remind the general PA community that Spinner & CO decided that ND's naming techniques were so incredibly incredible, that we had a round named after us.

Top that legion.

peace and love.
Unread 9 Nov 2003, 08:14   #43
Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad
Oh, to whoever it was who complained about me and Rumad posting about bd: BlackDeath was a big alliance back then, if u can find Rumad's post about his alliance history u'll find that out quite clearly.
Actually, it quite clearly says '20 members', then lies and said it had 18 of them in the top 50. That leads me to believe the alliance in question was tiny and shite, if you can show me a scrap of proof to the contrary, go right ahead.
Unread 9 Nov 2003, 14:57   #44
DukePaul
Retired VGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tis
Actually, it quite clearly says '20 members', then lies and said it had 18 of them in the top 50. That leads me to believe the alliance in question was tiny and shite, if you can show me a scrap of proof to the contrary, go right ahead.
I wasnt refering to Rumad's post here, it was a thread he made some time ago about what alliances he had been member of, what he thought about them, why he left them and so on. Anyway, Rumad left bd coz bd was offered an allie with legion, but the rest of bd-HC was more fury-friendly, while Rumad prefered Legion, so he left. This was end r3, it should give u an idea that bd was not shite.

Rumad: I was in gal with a Bridge in r9.5 Atleast he said he was Bridge from back then
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 02:29   #45
weap
Romantic

weap is an unknown quantity at this point

Ministry is called Ministry simply because it sounds cool. Has a nice mystical touch. Bollocks to all the meanings behind a name, most alliances choose names that are cool.

Ministry makes people feel quite unified and slightly elitest.
I may not lead
Just walk beside me
and be my friend.
weap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 05:05   #46
Meth
Me

Meth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
Since when did I care for/know about small alliances? :/

Also, it might an interest for ppl to know that there was a small alliance that produced a document referring to its structure that Sid found useful and he gave me a copy to read when I became Executive to understand my duties better. Can't remember the name of said alliance though :/

Wrath

Original name was Rapier, which was suggested by Lokken when he found out about the project "by mistake" i.e me telling him but noone tell Sid :/

Wrath was a natural evolution upon it and fitted so much better with Fury. I can't remember exactly who suggested it but it was either Lokken, Sid, Meth or myself. (I doubt it was me though.)
Getting foggy old man

Rapier was mine, and Wrath was actually suggested by Carson, and passed on to you, not sure if you remember him.
Meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 05:18   #47
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meth
Getting foggy old man

Rapier was mine, and Wrath was actually suggested by Carson, and passed on to you, not sure if you remember him.
Are you totally sure? I honestly remember Lokken being present during the Rapier naming.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 13:37   #48
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point

RaH comes from Reduco ad Honore which means 'Return to Honour'. I would assume the meaning of the name was fairly obvious giving the founders (Petru, Avie, LENIN amongst others) aim of forming an alliance that would do as the name suggests. If you want anymore info on the process by which the name was arrived at tho you'll need to ask one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrick
Fx9 went on to become Immortal after merging with Century...But Add and I shouted at each other alot, and the merger failed. I think that's when Maddix left us and buggered off over to Legion too.
All lies, lies I say! I left Fx9 for Wolfpack (the original ta very much) as everyone else was going their own way or following Add back to his newly formed CpV.

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2003, 13:59   #49
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddix

All lies, lies I say! I left Fx9 for Wolfpack (the original ta very much) as everyone else was going their own way or following Add back to his newly formed CpV.
I would say, the second original wolfpack.

heh
I am Idler is offline   Reply With Quote