User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:35   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Settle an arguement please - nationality

When someone says "I'm half English and half Spanish" what exactly does it mean?

Say if someone's dad was born in France, their Mum in Germany but they were born in England, what's their nationality and what's it made up from?

Ta
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:39   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Settle an arguement please - nationality

1. One parent is English, the other is Spanish.

2. Half French, half German. This is assuming the parents grew up in the country they were born in, and their grandparents are also from that country.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:45   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
2. Half French, half German. This is assuming the parents grew up in the country they were born in, and their grandparents are also from that country.
So the kid is born in England but isn't English (British/whatever)?
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:47   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Two of my cousins have an English father and an Irish mother, and were born in South Africa. They are half English, half Irish, and definitely not South African.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:47   #5
Ragnarak

And how do u get someone who is 1/2 English, 1/4 Dutch, 1/8 German and 1/8 French (for example)
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:48   #6
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Say if someone's dad was born in France, their Mum in Germany but they were born in England, what's their nationality and what's it made up from?
Then that person would be English, but would be entitled to nationality for France and Germany - they would have three passports, English, French and German.
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:48   #7
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Isn't your nationality where you are 'registered' as a citizen. A mate of mine was born in France and has lived there all his life, but is British on his passport..

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:48   #8
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Two of my cousins have an English father and an Irish mother, and were born in South Africa. They are half English, half Irish, and definitely not South African.
But, if they'd stayed and grew up in SA (i assume they didn't), doesn't that make a difference?
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:50   #9
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
And how do u get someone who is 1/2 English, 1/4 Dutch, 1/8 German and 1/8 French (for example)
American?
Unread 3 Nov 2003, 23:51   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
But, if they'd stayed and grew up in SA (i assume they didn't), doesn't that make a difference?
You can assume a nationality by living somewhere, but that has nothing to do with being born there.

And when people say "half something and half something else" they are undoubtably referring to the nationalities of their parents.

I was born in England, but I'm still half English and half Irish.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:08   #11
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Passport Officer Grade 3

Work involves:

Passport Officer Grade 3's will be responsible for the accurate examination of passport applications to establish identity, nationality and immigration status.

I did that job i did.

Anyways i can only speak for British nationality and its kinda complicated.

Give me specific cases and i can tell you if they qualify as British or not.

Recently (ie after 1983 ... i think its 83) if your mother was British then you are British. If your mother was foreign (say French) and your dad was British you are only British if your parents were married at the time of your birth.

You can also be British if your parents were married at the time of your birth and neither of them was British but your Fathers father was British.

I think thats the case but im doing this from memory and its legislation covering 3 acts of parliment (BNA 48, IA 73 [i think its 73] and BNA 81) and without my notes im not 100% sure (say 99%) but anyways i think thats what the case is.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:16   #12
Ragnarak

ok, though what Belgy said bout being English as well seems to contradict others...?
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:16   #13
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
When someone says "I'm half English and half Spanish" what exactly does it mean?

Ta
legally or colloquially?

in america it all makes sense because virtually nobody is really from here, so it's always understood to mean 'where did your ancestors come from,' assuming an arbitrarily large number of generations up.

i'm 1/8 irish, 1/8 scottish, 3/8 german, 1/8 dutch, and 1/4 english.

this comes about from my dad having 1 grandparent each: dutch, english, irish, and scottish, and my mom having a pure german parent and a half german half english parent.

the really fun part is when someone claims they are 1/3 Polish.

anyway, in a couple generations i'm sure we'll give up on this charade and just say 'european'
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:18   #14
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
anyway, in a couple generations i'm sure we'll give up on this charade and just say 'european'

**** will we

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:19   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
ok, though what Belgy said bout being English as well seems to contradict others...?
At the end of the day, someone's nationality is what they want it to be (within reason).

Some will associate with their parent's nationality, others with the country of their birth, others still with the country in which they currently live.

However, any kind of fractions will indicate the first type, which is (in my experience) the most common used by normal people (rather than passport offices).
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:21   #16
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BTW Rag being born in Britain no longer means you are British.

After 1984 (i think) you had to have British parent(s) like i said in the above case.

Before '84 i think being born in Britain made you British.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 00:50   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am 3/4th Dutch and 1/4th Polish.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 02:44   #18
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Noone cares about your nationality other than fascist governments.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 03:54   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Noone cares about your nationality other than fascist governments.

Yeah, cos there's no non-democratic governments left in the world!

PS Nationality is an extremely confused issue seeing as it's a question concerning nations in the broader sense but for which the laws are drawn up by each individual nation, meaning that you could be something in one place but not in another which redefines the word "daft" for me.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 03:58   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Yeah, cos there's no non-democratic governments left in the world!
Who would care about your nationality under a free-market system?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 04:04   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Who would care about your nationality under a free-market system?

Establishing a system where there are no enforced prejudices doesn't mean prejudice will disappear instantly.
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 04:30   #22
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you people mixing nationality with citezenship.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 04:38   #23
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Both my parents are scottish, I was born in england, that makes me half english half scottish.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 04:40   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dying puppy
I think you people mixing nationality with citezenship.

The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.
National character.
Nationalism.

The dictionary is an inconclusive as everyone else :(
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 05:28   #25
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
Both my parents are scottish, I was born in england, that makes me half english half scottish.
Both of my parents are Ukranians, I was born in Russia (Africa), I live in USA and have US citezenship, but my nationality is Ukranian or at least thats what my passport says
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 06:33   #26
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family has been in America since before 1900 (some branches since colonial times), but if someone asks my nationality it's half English and half German, with a bit of Irish. And apparently 1 Native American way back there somewhere, if you want to get specific.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 09:57   #27
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
So the kid is born in England but isn't English (British/whatever)?
I would say not. In my eyes nationality is defined by where your parents are from. I was born in Venezuela but I don't consider myself Venezuelan.

There are no set rules for nationality, only citizenship. If I wanted to I could start a weed garden in my attic, get dreadlocks and say I'm Jamaican even though I've never been there or have Jamaican ancestry.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 10:00   #28
I'm Idler

you know

not only jamacians smoke or grow weed.

the russian mafia is insulted by that fact that you forgot them
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 10:14   #29
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Idler
you know

not only jamacians smoke or grow weed.

the russian mafia is insulted by that fact that you forgot them
the dutch are insulted by the fact that YOU forgot them

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 10:18   #30
I'm Idler

the Dutch doesnt read this thread (I do hope so)
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 10:37   #31
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Idler
the Dutch doesnt read this thread (I do hope so)
/me checks his passport... *Dutch*

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote