User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:00   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Mo Mowlam Dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4126986.stm

I await Eulogies, criticisms, and amusing jokes, though hopefully not in equal measures.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:01   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Mo Mowlem Dead

I never thought much of her to be honest. Though obviously it's a shame she's dead.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:05   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How eloquently put Kura...

She was, on the whole, a well liked politician, which seems qite rare these days.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:06   #4
Dreadnought FTW
Somewhere in Curse

Dreadnought FTW has a little shameless behaviour in the past

:'(
Dreadnought FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:23   #5
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

she had cool hair
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:27   #6
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

yeah a good bloke mo mowlan, done a lot for the country.

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:28   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
yeah a good bloke mo mowlan, done a lot for the country.
Dude, she was a she.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:31   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I wish some rubbish Labour politicians would die for a change.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:49   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: Mo Mowlem Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Actually a labour peer died the other day, but no one gave a shit.
Have they removed him from the chamber yet?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:53   #10
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

nah hes still proping up the others that are about to fall

shame about mo tho, who will take her place writing in zoo :/
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 12:59   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Mo Mowlam Dead

It's a shame neither her nor Cook were competitors in 'Who Will Die First?' Someone could have gotten a lot of points from this last month.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 13:18   #12
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Mo Mowlam Dead

it should've been Gerald Ford .
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 13:43   #13
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

apprently she once told ian paisley to '**** off'. which is pretty cool. but she was also a nulabour minister, which isnt.

Last edited by the_dastardley_chihuahua; 19 Aug 2005 at 13:50.
the_dastardley_chihuahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 13:46   #14
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Gordon Brown got another one i see.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 13:47   #15
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I liked Mo. RIP.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 13:52   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Mo was definetley the best thing to happen to Redcar, since, well, ever.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:00   #17
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I don`t think Jerry Adams will shed a tear. During the Northern Island peace talks, Mo was the Northern Island secretary that authorised the bugging of the car Jerry Adams and other Sinn Fein members were using. Afterwards Mr Adams said "I feel as if I`ve been shafted".

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:02   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Afterwards Mr Adams said "I feel as if I`ve been shafted".
He wasn't impying that was a bad thing, you know.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:04   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm fairly glad she's dead.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:05   #20
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
any reason that elevates her over any other MP?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:07   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question Re: Mo Mowlam Dead

Quote:
If I shot Tony Blair, George Bush, Thatcher, Putin and Castro, would you be shuddering in orgasm?
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:07   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
any reason that elevates her over any other MP?
She was a minister.

But no, nothing that elevates her beyond her immediate colleagues.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:09   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
If I shot Tony Blair, George Bush, Thatcher, Putin and Castro, would you be shuddering in orgasm?
I don't feel Castro fits in that list.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:14   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question Re: Mo Mowlam Dead

Quote:
I don't feel Castro fits in that list.
I thought you didn't like statist queer-bashers?

Ian Paisley, then?
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:18   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I thought you didn't like statist queer-bashers?
There's a lot of people I don't like, but that doesn't quite equate them to Putin or Bush or what-not. It's not a "Love" vs "Shot Through The Lungs" dichotomy.
Quote:
Ian Paisley, then?
I'd be fairly pleased if he died, but I wouldn't advocate / support his murder. My mother would though, the Catholic tramp that she is.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:24   #26
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
There's a lot of people I don't like, but that doesn't quite equate them to Putin or Bush or what-not.
I'm struggling to see how Castro is qualitatively all that different to Putin. Castro has just had decades more experience over Putin. Oh, and Putin controls a more important country than Cuba. Same goes for the others.

Quote:
I'd be fairly pleased if he died,
I thought that if we killed off a load of high-ranking reactionaries, your pleasure might be able to be multiplied to the extent where you would actually orgasm. I mean, you're "fairly pleased" by lowly Mo dying.

Quote:
but I wouldn't advocate / support his murder.
Jesus. I would. I'd ****ing whoop.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:25   #27
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There's a lot of people I don't like, but that doesn't quite equate them to Putin or Bush or what-not. It's not a "Love" vs "Shot Through The Lungs" dichotomy.
explain exactly why Fidel Castro is preferable to Tony Blair.

edit:
Quote:
Jesus. I would. I'd ****ing whoop.
seconded.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:28   #28
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Castro says he's in favour of Socialism whereas Blair doesn't. This makes him preferable to Blair, obviously.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:31   #29
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

She wasn't very hot.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:47   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Castro has done a hell of a lot more good than Blair.

Castro has gone wrong many times but some of his crimes/errors can be attributed to the situation he and his country is in. If Britain was being blockaded by (say) France, if the French intelligence services had actively attempted to kill Blair on numerous ocassions, if the French government supported terrorist attacks on Britain then I might have some sympathy if Blair then (say) imprisoned some of his enemies.

This does not make these measures alright of course, but actions must be understood in the light of the context they occur in. "Being mildly evil" when your situation is pretty ****ing dire is somewhat more understandable than being mildly evil when you're in a position of power. This should be fairly obvious.

Of course some other acts (e.g. homophobic laws, etc) are completely criminal but unsurprising given the region. "Our" (i.e. the United States & Britain) allies in the region have worse records on this and other issues.

There are other factors of course - if you look at foriegn intervention for instance and compare Cuban intervention in (say) Angola versus British involvement in Iraq then the former comes out favourably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
I thought that if we killed off a load of high-ranking reactionaries, your pleasure might be able to be multiplied to the extent where you would actually orgasm. I mean, you're "fairly pleased" by lowly Mo dying.
It doesn't really work like that. If someone is murdered it rarely ends well (no pun intended). In terms of assasinations and what-not then there's only a handful of examples I can think of which led to practical benefits. If you killed Ian Paisely (for instance) all that would happen would the retards in the UVF et al would get a bunch of new recruits. If you killed Tony Blair you'd get some extra "war on terror" stuff.

What is the consequences of Mo dying? A backlash against cancer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
Castro says he's in favour of Socialism whereas Blair doesn't. This makes him preferable to Blair, obviously.
This is silly, as you're well aware.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:57   #31
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

dante dear.

you really are turning into a condescending little shit.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:58   #32
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
This does not make these measures alright of course, but actions must be understood in the light of the context they occur in. "Being mildly evil" when your situation is pretty ****ing dire is somewhat more understandable than being mildly evil when you're in a position of power. This should be fairly obvious.
it is obvious. But I find it hard to group Castro in with Blair, evil-wise. I don't like everything Blair has done, of course not, but life is mostly better, and the ways in which it has been made worse (civil liberties) are almost all moves supported by all of mainstream British politics - and either accept this as justification or retract your 'unsurprising given the region' caveat about Castro.

In Cuba, on the other hand, the problem is far more severe. Human rights are few, and there isn't even a sense of security as recompense. Castro has done some great things, but insofar as he is able, so has Blair. Castro introduced public healthcare? Great. Blair couldn't, because we already had it, but he's done a hell of a lot to make it better. Castro's provided excellent education for Cuba? marvellous. Blair's done what he can to make it even better here.

To draw some sort of point from that paragraph, Blair has done more good, considering his means, than Castro has, and Blair has done less evil, considering his means, than Castro has.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:10   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
it is obvious. But I find it hard to group Castro in with Blair, evil-wise. I don't like everything Blair has done, of course not, but life is mostly better
Life is almost exactly the same as before Blair. There are some very minor changes (i.e. student fees vs non-student fees, increase in spending on the NHS vs reduced spending, some devolution) but they really are peripheral changes. Obviously we also foriegn intervention too, which I've mentioned.
Quote:
and the ways in which it has been made worse (civil liberties) are almost all moves supported by all of mainstream British politics - and either accept this as justification or retract your 'unsurprising given the region' caveat about Castro.
It wasn't an excuse for him, merely that it's unsurprising. It's unsurprising some people who grew up in abusive households in our society murder or rape, but this does not make it OK. The situation of homosexuals in Cuba (and elsewhere) is unsurprising but it is still very depressing.
Quote:
In Cuba, on the other hand, the problem is far more severe. Human rights are few
I'd really need for you to define this more fully before I could comment. When you say "few", what do you mean? Cuba is not a totalitarian society. Yes, people who protest / demonstrate are routinely jailed (again, far less so that in some countries to which we give support - even as close as Turkey) and this is fundamentally wrong and evil. The people doing the jailing would, ideally, face serious criminal charges for their actions. But this is not the same as saying "human rights are few" (unless you mean something specific).
Quote:
Castro has done some great things, but insofar as he is able, so has Blair. Castro introduced public healthcare? Great. Blair couldn't, because we already had it
What "great" things has Blair done?

But anyway, your point about "not being able to do things which has already been done" is formally correct but slightly strange. I cannot claim to be a better physicist than Einstein because he (among other things) developed the Theory of Relativity and I did not. The fact that I could not have done so is somewhat irrelevent when handing round props.

edit : Or perhaps more directly, "Well Blair couldn't have won WW2 since it's already finished, so therefore you can't include that as a postivie for Churchill"
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:21   #34
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Mo Mowlam dies.
GD starts a 'who's better? Tony Blair or Castro?' debate.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:22   #35
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I assume this is some sort of joke.
I assume you are some sort of tabloid reader.

Dante;
Quote:
edit : Or perhaps more directly, "Well Blair couldn't have won WW2 since it's already finished, so therefore you can't include that as a postivie for Churchill"
I'm not saying it's not a positive for Castro, I'm saying that Blair's achievements have to be judged against a different standard. Upon taking power, Castro had much to do and did some of it, whereas Blair had little to do and did almost all of it.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:28   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Dante; I'm not saying it's not a positive for Castro, I'm saying that Blair's achievements have to be judged against a different standard.
I agree. Which is why my original post was that Castro was out of place in the list that Manson gave.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:34   #37
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
I agree. Which is why my original post was that Castro was out of place in the list that Manson gave.
so you're in favour of people who build and destroy their countries on a large scale rather than a small scale?
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:38   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
so you're in favour of people who build and destroy their countries on a large scale rather than a small scale?
Did I say that?

Manson posted a list of :

Tony Blair, George Bush, Thatcher, Putin and Castro.

Now, to me Castro does not fit this list. The others are, to use your terms, to be judged by different standards. You're the only one who brought into "why is Castro favourable to Blair" which was not my point at all (although I'm happy to discuss that of course).

edit : But to answer your question, when comparing individuals I'd say someone who achieved a lot of good and did some evil things is probably preferable to someone who did very little good and some evil things.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:44   #39
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Dude, she was a she.

reeeeeeeally

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:46   #40
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didn't know her first name was Marjorie until today. Maybe it'll be asked in a trivia game someday, or perhaps a hard question on 'who wants to be a millionaire'.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:08   #41
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Castro has done a hell of a lot more good than Blair.
There was a poll somewhere, cant remember where but on it, uk businessman ranked hitler above blair as their most impressive leader of all time
I found that rather amusing personally

edit: found it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/18/blair_poll/

Last edited by Phil^; 19 Aug 2005 at 16:15.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:25   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I assume you are some sort of tabloid reader.
Are you saying education standards are improving, or that Blair is honestly trying to improve education standards?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:28   #43
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

I dislike Blair because I have to pay for my education. Thus I will dance on his grave.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:28   #44
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
edit : But to answer your question, when comparing individuals I'd say someone who achieved a lot of good and did some evil things is probably preferable to someone who did very little good and some evil things.
why is good quantifiable and evil not?

because surely you can't claim blair has done more to oppress his people than castro has
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:35   #45
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Are you saying education standards are improving, or that Blair is honestly trying to improve education standards?
both.

By every measurable standard that I am aware of this is the case, and it is only in this country that increasing pass rates are actually seen as a problem.

Oh, and Lestat? Top-up fees and tuition fees are great because it means only people who benefit from them pay. Imagine the backlash if road tax or tobacco tax was absorbed into income tax
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:38   #46
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

True, but if I have to pay to go to uni i'd like it to be performance related, ie no fee for first, some for 2:1, most of it for 2:2 and full fee's if you drop out or fail.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:41   #47
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
True, but if I have to pay to go to uni i'd like it to be performance related, ie no fee for first, some for 2:1, most of it for 2:2 and full fee's if you drop out or fail.
fortunately, the people running the country aren't quite so stupid.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:51   #48
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

explain why that is a bad idea. It acts as an incentive to work hard, and performance is rewarded.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:51   #49
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
it means only people who benefit from them pay.
the country benefits.

fool.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:01   #50
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

if it was, say, the army, paid education and performance bonuses would make sense.

unfortunately, these people don't go and work for the common good, they go and work for japanese banks or american accountants or german engineering firms or whoever the hell else. Not only do they not contribute to the nation (tax aside), they harm the balance of payments.

Of course an educated workforce is a great boon, but it's not like they're all sitting there working towards some enlightened altruistic end.