User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 21 May 2006, 22:41   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
We haven't had a book thread in a while

I like books, I buy them far more often than I finish reading them, so currently have a large pile of unread ones I have bought,
The most recent addition to the list though, is 'johnny come home' by Jake Arnott, which has been moved to the top of the pile, and will be the next to be read.
It's Mr Arnott's 4th book now, and I have read the previous 3. His fist, 'The Long Firm', was dramatised on the BBC last year, and while I thought that was done rather well, it missed out a section, and didn't quite live up to the book.

In a similar genre, though nowhere near as well written, I've become quite a fan of Martina Cole. She brings a great deal of realism (well, it seems real, I've no idea what gang-life on council estates is like...) to the stories, with just enough of the gritty stuff to remain exciting, without becoming silly.

I think the last time we did one of these, I reccomended 'The Rotters' Club' and 'The Closed Circle', by Jonathan Coe. I've since read 'The Dwarves of Death' by the same author, and was similarly impressed. It's a lot shorter, but equally as peculiar and amusing. I ahve 'The House of Sleep' waiting on my pile.

I bought 'I am Charlotte Simmons' quite a while ago now, and haven't got round to reading that, partly due to the mixed reviews I read of it. For those not familiar, it is by Tom Wolfe, the author of 'Bonfire of the Vanities' (the film of which is on this week I believe, but is meant to be dire and as I recall, much detested by Dace) which I thoroughly enjoyed. Does anyone have comments that will help move it up or down the list-order?