User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 23 May 2008, 10:33   #1
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
IRC suggestion

DNS issues yesterday brought me to a conclusion.

Would all the server MOTD's put their IP address in, yesterday during the DNS we were reliant on packrats who knew/kept the ip addresses, and since no-one who wasnt already connected could get on without one of those, we were scrounging around finding those who knew, so that galaxies,players and alliances could meassage and post .

Now i accept it probably wasnt all that urgent since we were only in havoc and speed game, but even so, getting on irc should be a doable thing without having to planet message a packrat or hope that someone reliable thought of sending out messages.

If those IP's had been in MOTD's life would have much simpler as everyone who was connected would have had the information.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2008, 11:06   #2
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Re: IRC suggestion

This is the wrong solution to the problem. If the DNS wasn't restricted to 3 servers on a single ISPs network this would never have happened.

The daft thing is there are some hidden DNS servers in other places, if these were registered with the .org nameservers we wouldn't have had problems for the 7 hours or so yesterday.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2008, 11:29   #3
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

DNS problems dont have a soloution, they happen no matter what safeguards you put in, IP on MOTD would have been very helpfull yesterday.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
Unread 23 May 2008, 12:11   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

By that logic, we might as well drop the entire DNS and just use the IP.

(What I'm trying to say here is that your logic is wrong, just in case someone thinks I'm actually suggesting something as retarded as this)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2008, 12:17   #5
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
DNS problems dont have a soloution
I'm very curious as to how they fixed it then....

GReaper is right on this issue, it's just sloppiness. He explains it well in the other DNS thread.

Last edited by Achilles; 23 May 2008 at 18:35. Reason: Fixed quote
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2008, 12:48   #6
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
DNS problems dont have a soloution, they happen no matter what safeguards you put in, IP on MOTD would have been very helpfull yesterday.
Did you actually understand the cause of yesterdays problem? It would never have happened if there were a couple of other DNS servers available in other places.

The only problems which should occur are misconfigured slaves, which might happen if you don't admin all the slave nameservers, or someone screwing up the master zone file.

I could understand if it was a small little network with only one or two servers. NetGamers has at least 5 servers in entirely different countries (I think, hard to tell these days thanks to bastardised ircds blocking /links), so it's wise to spread out DNS as even if one server goes down the chances are the rest are still up and running.

Yes, things break occasionally, but this one could've been avoided easily.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2008, 19:25   #7
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I'm very curious as to how they fixed it then....

GReaper is right on this issue, it's just sloppiness. He explains it well in the other DNS thread.

what i mean is that problems happen, no matter how well you plan ahead
R11 -> NOW HR HC