User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 07:13   #51
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: When's most of the universe going to wake up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Butch3r
Heh, very very good post.
If MISTU/FAnG where allied we would ofc beaten 1up/LCH wouldnt we?
I love being primary target btw

Now there is a nick i havent seen for a few rounds

Get on irc
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 12:00   #52
Methedrine
wearing cheap sunglasses

Methedrine is on a distinguished road

@Chika: It is called situation analysis - not whining. Something that even your CEO Sid does, even though not in public like I did.

So, how did the situation develope? So far, 26 ticks after the post it seems like 1Up outgrew the universe for another night and is now about 10000 asteroids and roughly 10 million score in the lead. Good job at the top spot there
LCH, what's up? You lost a member and you are falling behind as well - slowly but steadily.
VSN grew less than their average growth the past days, seems like your main growth came from recruitment, not from attacks.
MISTU - seems to have recovered a bit last night, got a chance to take a breath? Guess you used it
ND / ROCK / FAnG - you guys seem out of the race, FAnG even seems to be completely dead now. Do something against it if you want to show some kind of quality as an alliance!

So what do I conclude? The opposition against the top alliance seems to be not working (yet) or not existing (yet). I think I will come back after the weekend for another more indepth analysis.
Methedrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 13:28   #53
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

In pax in the war aginast ecl/ely FAnG had a lead of over 11k roids at one time and we all know how that went. A 10k roid lead means nothing at this state.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 13:35   #54
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
In pax in the war aginast ecl/ely FAnG had a lead of over 11k roids at one time and we all know how that went. A 10k roid lead means nothing at this state.
Clean, cut, and to the point. Thank you. Some people are acting like the world ended.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 13:47   #55
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Are you planning to log into your planet Morden or do we exile you ?

~Vaio~

I dont erm have a planet. Exile and Bash the fker whose using my name please. As it sure as hell is not me.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 13:51   #56
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
Clean, cut, and to the point. Thank you. Some people are acting like the world ended.

The difference is however, that the reason FAnG lost the edge was more to do with the Command staff, than the members.

1up has a Command staff who are 100% commited and have shown that they will go all the way. This is something which often makes the difference between victory and defeat.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:14   #57
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
one subtle difference: I don't see 1up "disbanding" and ending up with members being roided due to them not being able to receive defence
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:16   #58
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

oh, and any respect i had for 1up has been lost with Hicks and his trolls posting absolutely disgusting posts against Rumad..but i doubt you care
Ultores
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:19   #59
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
one subtle difference: I don't see 1up "disbanding" and ending up with members being roided due to them not being able to receive defence
The disbanding was more a result of fang losing then the couse of fang losing. There is a difference!
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:27   #60
Colt
Mercenary

well, everyone was still up for the war until Command made that bizarre decision..
anyway, thats the past, lets look to the present...
Ultores
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:53   #61
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedrine
@Chika: It is called situation analysis - not whining. Something that even your CEO Sid does, even though not in public like I did.

So, how did the situation develope? So far, 26 ticks after the post it seems like 1Up outgrew the universe for another night and is now about 10000 asteroids and roughly 10 million score in the lead. Good job at the top spot there
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

In percentage terms, 1up's roid growth (4%) is slightly higher than LCH's (3%), the same as Vision's (4%) and less than ND's (5%).

These figures can be further put into perspective when you consider that high-roid planets probably can't mine all of their roids anyway. Even I can't, and I'm below 1up's average roid count. A better measure would actually be score growth - after all, the ranks are determined by score and not roid count. What we see here is 1up and LCH both growing 6% in average score, Vision growing slightly less at 5%, and ND growing at 8%. This hardly indicates that the top two alliances are growing at a rate much higher (if higher at all) than those below them.

Quote:
LCH, what's up? You lost a member and you are falling behind as well - slowly but steadily.
The lost member seems to have been replaced, and LCH's average score grew at the same rate as 1up's.

Quote:
VSN grew less than their average growth the past days, seems like your main growth came from recruitment, not from attacks.
Vision's growth was slightly slower than in recent days, but they have solidified their grip on 3rd place, moving further clear of MISTU. I don't think it's entirely fair to have a go at an alliance who are, so far, putting in a very respectable performance.

Quote:
MISTU - seems to have recovered a bit last night, got a chance to take a breath? Guess you used it
MISTU's stats for the day seem to have been distorted slightly by the loss of a member - nevertheless, the remaining members posted an average 5% increase in score, though it might not be enough to stop ND from catching up to them.

Quote:
ND / ROCK / FAnG - you guys seem out of the race, FAnG even seems to be completely dead now. Do something against it if you want to show some kind of quality as an alliance!
FAnG's apparent troubles are somewhat disappointing for a round-winning alliance. However it's not the first time this has happened, either to FAnG (their collapses are almost regular events), or to past round-winning alliances (I'd go so far as to list Eclipse in r9.5 as an example).

ND seem to be doing very well for themselves. For an alliance not seen as ruthless or even particularly competitive, they have been growing spectacularly in recent days, overtaking FAnG and closing fast on MISTU - proof perhaps that ND's no-nonsense approach works well in this kind of aggressive random round. Whereas other alliances have tried political manouevering, ND have just played the game and it seems to be paying off.

ROCK I don't know enough about to comment much, but both their average roid growth and average score growth exceeds that of any of the top 3 alliances for today. Again, hardly a sign of collapse.

If you're going to try to use statistics to support your argument, at least make sure that the statistics support your case before posting. I can forgive some of the errors simply because you posted too early in the day, before all of the night's battles had been resolved. Indeed, it's still possible that the picture will change again before the end of the day, invalidating everything we have both posted.

Quote:
So what do I conclude? The opposition against the top alliance seems to be not working (yet) or not existing (yet). I think I will come back after the weekend for another more indepth analysis.
Why do you persist in trying to see the universe in terms of two sides? There is more to this game than 'us and them', and each alliance has its own priorities. You're mistaken (and somewhat arrogant) if you think that every alliance should do exactly what you say - especially as you haven't revealed your own position in this. 1up's members are at least honest enough to put their alliance tag in their signatures when they post, so people can take that into account when reading their posts. You, on the other hand, are posting under what I assume is a fake name, without revealing your alliance. Why on earth should anyone accept your interpretation of the current situation when you refuse to disclose your own interests in the debate?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 15:15   #62
B-Butch3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Now there is a nick i havent seen for a few rounds

Get on irc
Heh, i am on irc :P
Usely find me in #elysium :P
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 16:05   #63
Methedrine
wearing cheap sunglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

In percentage terms, 1up's roid growth (4%) is slightly higher than LCH's (3%), the same as Vision's (4%) and less than ND's (5%).
First of all, a nice posting.

However, about you shouldn't just judge by the percentages. Take the absolute values which do indicate that 1Up is growing faster than the rest of the universe, which is just a logical consequence considering they are bigger than anyone else on roids.

Quote:
If you're going to try to use statistics to support your argument, at least make sure that the statistics support your case before posting. I can forgive some of the errors simply because you posted too early in the day, before all of the night's battles had been resolved. Indeed, it's still possible that the picture will change again before the end of the day, invalidating everything we have both posted.
Agreed. Guess why I am coming back some time monday afternoon with a fresh indepth analysis.

Quote:
Why do you persist in trying to see the universe in terms of two sides? There is more to this game than 'us and them', and each alliance has its own priorities. You're mistaken (and somewhat arrogant) if you think that every alliance should do exactly what you say - especially as you haven't revealed your own position in this. 1up's members are at least honest enough to put their alliance tag in their signatures when they post, so people can take that into account when reading their posts. You, on the other hand, are posting under what I assume is a fake name, without revealing your alliance. Why on earth should anyone accept your interpretation of the current situation when you refuse to disclose your own interests in the debate?
I am not trying to split the universe into two particular sides apart from the leading alliance (whoever that may be in the future, however, currently it is 1Up) and the rest. What I am doing here is simply analyzing the situation, with the pure interest of showing everyone how it developed and how it will most likely develope in case things won't change. So the only aim I have is helping every alliance with delivering a rather good situation analysis on the one hand and showing them possible options to adapt to it on the other.
Nobody has to follow what I say, it is after all a simple forum discussion I started. Don't you as well think it is interesting to have a rather objective view on things? However, I assume that most alliances in the top 5 or top 10 alliance ranking are aiming for the place at the sun (or at an equally good ranking considering each alliance's ability to become #1, again judged by the statistics).

[EDIT]some spelling

Last edited by Methedrine; 3 Jul 2004 at 16:20.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 16:35   #64
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
First of all, a nice posting.

However, about you shouldn't just judge by the percentages. Take the absolute values which do indicate that 1Up is growing faster than the rest of the universe, which is just a logical consequence considering they are bigger than anyone else on roids.
Let's imagine I have 110 roids, and you have 100. If I grow by 5% per day, then after a week I have 154 roids. If you grow by 7% per day, you have 160 roids. The person with the higher percentage growth will always eventually overtake the person with the lower percentage growth.

Since 1up actually has the second-lowest percentage growth in average score of the top 5 alliances (only MISTU grew more slowly), we can conclude that three of the top five alliances actually gained ground on 1up during today. It might be only a small closing of the gap, but it does prove that 1up are not accelerating away from the rest.

The absolute roid/score growth numbers are often misleading, especially on days when alliances gain or lose members. The average roid and score values give a better picture of the overall performance of the alliance.

Quote:
Agreed. Guess why I am coming back some time monday afternoon with a fresh indepth analysis.
I look forward to reading that

Quote:
I am not trying to split the universe into two particular sides apart from the leading alliance (whoever that may be in the future, however, currently it is 1Up). What I am doing here is simply analyzing the situation, with the pure interest of showing everyone how it developed and how it will most likely develope in case things won't change. So the only aim I have is helping every alliance with delivering a rather good situation analysis on the one hand and showing them possible options to adapt to it on the other.
No analysis of the situation is 100% objective though - as we have already seen, the statistics can be used to 'prove' two completely different conclusions. And I think most alliances are able to judge the situation for themselves... the statistics are publicly available, the alliance rankings are there for everyone to see, and I doubt that any serious alliance needs to be told how well or badly they are doing by someone who only signed up a forum account a few days ago

Quote:
Nobody has to follow what I say, it is after all a simple forum discussion I started. Don't you as well think it is interesting to have a rather objective view on things? However, I assume that most alliances in the top 5 or top 10 alliance ranking are aiming for the place at the sun (or at an equally good ranking considering each alliance's ability to become #1, again judged by the statistics).
I'm still not convinced that you are an objective observer. If you were objective, you would post using your real name - the only reason to hide your identity is to hide your bias. When I post I have to accept the fact that some people will choose to disagree with me just because they don't like my alliance, and will choose to see my posts as propaganda regardless of the truth of what I say. I think it would be a much more fair and honest debate if you did the same.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 18:19   #65
Methedrine
wearing cheap sunglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
What, your cruddy attempt at trying to tell alliances to hit 1up, while pretending to sound like an unbiased observer?
I am telling alliances to battle the #1 - no matter which alliance that currently is.
If 1Up should have a problem with being #1 then they shouldn't be it, simple.

If LCH or MISTU or NewDawn or VSN or whoever else would be #1 alliance then I'd point out that something should be done against them.

I don't see anything wrong with asking people to compete.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 19:16   #66
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I am telling alliances to battle the #1 - no matter which alliance that currently is.

Isn't it natural that 1up post against this sentiment, no matter what their arguments*? I mean, you're basically telling everyone to gang up on them.

Quote:
If LCH or MISTU or NewDawn or VSN or whoever else would be #1 alliance then I'd point out that something should be done against them.

Asking people to gang up on #1 and asking them to compete aren't the same thing.

*Arguments, a mod should come ban Hicks, Rumand and a few others for a week or two.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 19:47   #67
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You wouldn't happen to play Risk would you?

"Omg, Red has taken NA, he's too big, someone stop him before he pwns us all!!"

... 30 minutes later....

"Green holds australia, we're doomed, green has won, gg"

Vader, that wouldn't be you hiding in there would it?

Nova
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:08   #68
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Atm green is holding Asia, piling up fresh armies and nobody seems to be able to stop him.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:21   #69
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

/me shakes head. Truely sad.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 21:09   #70
Gerbie
pe0n

You can attack his person, but you have to admit he's right.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 22:09   #71
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

hah @ JBG. I bet he doesn't hugely like moderating 2 AD's which are both utterly wank .
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 23:01   #72
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
You can attack his person, but you have to admit he's right.
It's all about perceptions isn't it?
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 04:02   #73
B-Butch3r

heh, using the precent is pretty stupid... if it where sid himself saying that, it would been good :P
But, if your 10mill over all other alliance, and if you and the alliance under you both grew 10mill it dosent mean that the lower alliance are growing as mutch as you :P
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 04:33   #74
ComradeRob
wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Atm green is holding Asia, piling up fresh armies and nobody seems to be able to stop him.
Green holds Europe. Blue holds North America, and Red holds Africa. Yellow holds Australia and is trying to break out. Grey and Purple both hold bits of Asia and South America, but they are both still being attacked by the others.

I'm sure you can figure out who is who.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 07:10   #75
Gerbie
pe0n

Obviously we disagree on the continent Green holds. I know blue is holding North America, but it's not Asia...
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 15:37   #76
fbd

fbd will become famous soon enoughfbd will become famous soon enough

I wonder if Sids original 'proposal' can be considered as a tactic rather than a serious suggestion. This entire moral crusade against blocks has given 1up a headstart that in all honesty that has left the game with two options, do nothing and face stagnation and boredom or do something and ally and have a bit of fun.

The inevitable will happen, people don't like losing. That'spartly a reason why 1up are so against blocks. With a clear lead and without getting targetted with organisation by greater numbers then losing is lot less likely.
fbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 15:49   #77
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd
The inevitable will happen, people don't like losing. That'spartly a reason why 1up are so against blocks. With a clear lead and without getting targetted with organisation by greater numbers then losing is lot less likely.
I doubt that. Sid (who I'm sure has final call on all of 1up's decisions) has been severely outgunned in previous rounds, and done well with many of the same people that are now in 1up (and against many of the people in 1up).
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote