User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 May 2006, 18:12   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Building your own guitar

I've just been trying out guitars and I can't really find one that takes my fancy. I am considering building one myself. Has anyone else done this and is it easy?

I am hoping I can just buy the parts I want and assemble it at home but i'm afraid that it won't be so simple.

the second (and far less plausable) idea is to make it myself from scratch.

Has anyone done either of these and how did it go?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2006, 18:17   #2
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Re: Building your own guitar

guitars can be any lenth. Custom ones are usually made depending on the reach of the players arm for the fret board, and then everythign is in proportion to that.

To make one yourself is oging ot be costly not only in parts but also for equipment etc.. If you don't know anyone / have any experience doing it at all I would seriously recomment not doing it and paying a company to custom make one for you.

If you are seirous about your own custom guitar and have no idea what your doing thats the way safer option or you could en up with alot of money down the toilet.

I helped a friend in building his double bass, but his dad had a friend who did it for his job so he helped / guided us. (bass player for one of my quartetes).

It will be cheaper for you too goto a company and specify everythign down to the absolute detail, have your self measures up etc.. than to attmept it yourself.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2006, 18:21   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I really just want to assemble the parts. If I order a custom guitar then I can only have one companies bits (e.g. Fenders neck, Fender pick-ups etc...) which is not really what I want to do.

I've been to the Fender site and I can't see a custom option.

I've been to the Gibson site and there is a custom option, but there doesn't appear to be a section to purchase it.

What are the other major guitar companies because my mind has drawn a blank.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 29 May 2006, 18:25   #4
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Buy a Fender Jaguar. They are beautiful:

http://www.instrumentguide.com/elect...l%20hh/big.jpg

Or if you want something weird a Steinberger like I have:

http://www.48chicagoblues.com/Steinb...L%20Series.jpg
the look is (almost) irrelevant to me. As long as it gives the sound I want then I'm happy.

I've been trying guitars today and they all have good and bad things.

I tried an Eric Clapton Fender and it was surprisingly dissapointing.
Even more disapointing was the LEs Paul Ultra.
Unread 29 May 2006, 18:26   #5
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I really just want to assemble the parts. If I order a custom guitar then I can only have one companies bits (e.g. Fenders neck, Fender pick-ups etc...) which is not really what I want to do.

I've been to the Fender site and I can't see a custom option.

I've been to the Gibson site and there is a custom option, but there doesn't appear to be a section to purchase it.

What are the other major guitar companies because my mind has drawn a blank.
You wont find them online really. Go into a local guitar shop and speak with the guitar geeks there. I am a drum geek myself so not totally versed on custom made guitars. My drums are custom made also, I ordered them via a shop were i live which has a direct bussiness link to Yamaha, which is why I know you will be able to do it for guitar companies. you need a shop that has a bussines link to wereever.

I bet they will know of companies that will let you customes diffrent manufacturers bits into one instrument as well.

Unread 29 May 2006, 18:28   #6
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
I tried an Eric Clapton Fender and it was surprisingly dissapointing.
Even more disapointing was the LEs Paul Ultra.
Just because an instrument is right for the feel of a great player, doesn't mean it is right for you.

My spec for my drums is similar to many great drummers but not the same. Every musician is diffrent. Weather they are a great pro or a newly started amature. The instrument must be right for You.

Unread 29 May 2006, 18:35   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

or build yourself a big ass effects board to go at your feet.

Unread 29 May 2006, 18:51   #8
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Do you actually know what sound you want? You could try different strings or pick-ups for example. I have the action very low on my guitars.
I do have an idea of what I want, but I'm not really sure how to distinguish this (as it contains a fair amount of distortion) when playing a guitar clean in a shop. I don't really feel comfortable asking to try a great number of pedals and guitars so I'm not really sure how to find what I want.

I don't want to upgrade my curent guitar (as it cost about £70) and taking apart a brend-new guitar doesn't really appeal to me.

I kind of want sound that is a cross between the white stripes and the libertines. A kind of old-school/raw sound that manages to be distinct. So not too difficult.
Unread 29 May 2006, 19:39   #9
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
I don't want to upgrade my curent guitar (as it cost about £70) and taking apart a brend-new guitar doesn't really appeal to me.
Ah..I think your idea of purchase and mine are diffrent..I am talking from the other end of the price specturm thinking you were wanting a really nice custom jobbie :s

You should probably ignore everything I said lol

Unread 29 May 2006, 19:48   #10
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:

I kind of want sound that is a cross between the white stripes and the libertines. A kind of old-school/raw sound that manages to be distinct. So not too difficult.

Why not try a Telecaster with some custom pickups? Telecasters are quite functional, hardy and have a good setup if you're looking for a chunky/less refined sound.
It's really the pickups that are key to your sound anyway (along with a decent amp), so instead of trying to build a complete guitar, perhaps you could try out a few that you like the feel of and tweak your sound later.

Generally if you're trying to sound like Jack White or those pesky Libertines, then just plug straight into a decent amp in the guitar shop and have a whack on the clean channels and then the overdrive. If you like the feel of the guitar, the neck, the weight and if the sound is ok (no nasty cracks, whistles, screeches) then consider it.

Typically Jack White plays an Airline guitar which is quite rare, hideous to play and has a quite difficult to manage setup. He also uses boutique amplifiers that cost wayyyyyy too much. He also goes through some unique and hard to find effects pedals.
You can generally use a multi-effects unit to recreate much of these weird kinda sounds, but it takes time and effort. Boss multi effects pedals are usually quite good.

The Libertines, well...they ran the gambit from playing shitty £50 guitars to Gibson E355's, to Fender's to...
To be honest, I could replicate much of their sound with my Stratocaster and my Gibson amp...it just takes the right pickup selection and amp tweaking.

Remember with pickups it's Singlecoil = lighter,brighter,crunchy,higher-end-register-rock... Humbuckers =lower end,bally,bassy,hard-rock

You could always combine one of each on a guitar to maximise your sound possibilties.
Unread 29 May 2006, 21:36   #11
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Ah..I think your idea of purchase and mine are diffrent..I am talking from the other end of the price specturm thinking you were wanting a really nice custom jobbie :s

You should probably ignore everything I said lol
I'm considering this as a long-term investment. I shall be shortly getting a job and I will save up the necessary amount to get the perfect guitar.
Unread 29 May 2006, 22:34   #12
BlacK_Bengudo
Slap Machine

BlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura about

You have to know the look of the guitar that you want and the sound of it. Then ask for a Custom Shop to build for you. I ordered a custom shop bass, im getting it next month!
Unread 29 May 2006, 22:55   #13
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacK_Bengudo
You have to know the look of the guitar that you want and the sound of it. Then ask for a Custom Shop to build for you. I ordered a custom shop bass, im getting it next month!
Where can you find custom shops?

Can you find them on-line or do you have to go a local shop?
Unread 30 May 2006, 00:47   #14
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Ibanez JS100

The most awesome investment I've ever made. Nicer feel than a Les Paul, better fretboard than any Fender I've ever played.

Worth trying out first, but I bought mine from a guitar show and tried it out first through a Marshall. It's got the most amazing sound to it.

It's my baby. I never play my Les Paul anymore and it's so much more than the Strat I used to own.

Although try out the SA series, as they're more budget friendly if that's a concern.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 11:24   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

My father attempted a custom guitar once, totally from scratch. It looks quite nice, but still sits partially unfinished 40 years later.
Unread 30 May 2006, 11:45   #16
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough

Quote:

if you want to build your own guitar from scratch check out http://www.projectguitar.com/ they have pretty much everything you need to build one from a block of wood and some wires.

if you want a totally custom custom, check out http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Regent_Guitars.html they will build one to your exact specs and you wont be limited to one brand.

as for custom shop guitars (i.e. fender gibson esp etc) you need to go to a guitar shop that stocks any of these guitars and talk to them about a custom and they will point you in the right direction.

you might also want to try G & L guitars. not a lot of people have heard of them, but this is leo fenders new company (founder of fender) so the guitars are often much nicer than the fender "fenders" that are avaliable. http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Tr...ies__NEW_.html
Unread 30 May 2006, 12:45   #17
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Just because an instrument is right for the feel of a great player, doesn't mean it is right for you.
ill second that. my dream bass guitar was a Gibson Thunderbird IV which id been after for ages (other bass is an axl musicman copy) i ended up buying it for a fair bit of money but the axl is so much nicer to play despite costing a hell of alot less to buy. theres just something about the feel of the crappy copy thats alot better than the expensive bass. bah

it looks nice on my wall tho

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 14:28   #18
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

http://www.driskillguitars.com/

Ignore the fact that it's the most god awful looking website known to man, but look at the pictures and read the text.

Basically, eh eh eh evvverything is made by hand, by this guy. You can order one, it'll cost you around four grand US, it'll take a while for you to get it, but they're awesome.

If you can find it, download the MP3's of Ariel Pozzo playing the Diablo through different amps. Personally I think Mesa is the best one.

Tone duude tooonnnee!!
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 14:42   #19
BlacK_Bengudo
Slap Machine

BlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura aboutBlacK_Bengudo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I searched over the net and im a musician, we usually know this kind of stuff. Then i asked for a budget from then. If you want a lifetime guitar then ask a Custom Shop to build for you. Its cheaper and better!