User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Jan 2008, 00:09   #1
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Flip-Floping

In American politics candidates frequently attempt to denigrate their opponent by accusing them of flip-flopping on the issues.

I don't know if this is a phrase that has any meaning whatsoever outside of American politics. Flip-flopping meaning that the person accused (the flip-flopper) has changed his position on an issue.

This is considered to be a real problem for politicians. Hillary is attacked for having changed her position on Iraq. Romney is attacked for changing his position on abortion. McCain is attacked for changing his position on illegal immigration.

The argument going that if one is willing to change his/her mind on one issue, how can you trust them to remain constant on any issue, especially any issue that YOU find important.

Do politicians outside of the US use this tactic much?

It always strikes me as strange that you would want your leaders to lock into one position and never change their mind regardless of what new information came forward.

What goes on in the UK? The Netherlands? Australia? Where ever?

How do/would such accusations effect your view of a candidate?
Unread 26 Jan 2008, 01:40   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Flip-Floping

well we'd certainly never vote in a politician who wore flip flops.

but back on topic the point you raise is the problem that either:

1) the majority votes in a politician because they have used the election process to analyse how competent that man/woman is and by voting them in essentially say "we have decided you will know best, please feel free to do as you wish"

OR

2) the majority votes in a politician on the basis of the promises/commitments they have made. ie the populous at large votes in the politician because said politician has promised to build a bridge or knock down a decrepid building

traditionally britain uses method 1) (despite the emergence of manivestos) because we do not directly elect our government. i

believe the US uses method 2) - because you do directly elect, if not your whole government, at least your sovereign. thus specific promises are important and evidence that you can not keep a promise is a bad thing - hence flip flopping
Unread 26 Jan 2008, 02:20   #3
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Do politicians outside of the US use this tactic much?
Politicians in germany are now officially among the lowest trusted professions in recent surveys. Does it still matter what they say during elections when so many of them openly lied and did the opposite afterwards? Sometimes with defenses like "yeah we said so, but everybody with half a clue knew that it wasnt true".

Most are are just not as blatant about it as some hungarian politicians are. Or the hilarious stories from poland (too lazy to find some links now).
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2008, 03:13   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Its probably a universal trait of any politician, I don't know.

Here in Australia such flip-flopping is the norm. It seems there is a habbit of telling the public everything they want to hear to get into office and casually throwing all their promises out the window once they get elected.

I have traditionally always been a Liberal voter because of a lack of trust in the other parties, especially when certain leaders of the opposition (Paul Keating comes to mind) have so blatently screwed us over in the past.

Despite that for the first time in my life I voted for Labor at the recently held elections because of the fact that John Howard broke pretty much every election promise he made which was the foundation for my decision to elect him in the first place.

I can understand that ultimately the PM is going to look after the best interests of Australia as a whole, and that they may be privy to information that the public is not aware of. The problem is that without the election promises to which they base their entire campaign on there is nothing else to distinguish each party from each other.

This is the dilemma I faced at the recent elections, how can I possibly choose a party when I know they are all going to be as good or bad as each other? I might as well (and very nearly did) close my eyes and attempt to scribble down my preferences in some random order.
Unread 26 Jan 2008, 03:52   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Changing your mind on an issue is a good idea if you are a real person but its pretty awful in a mainstream politician because you know they havent changed it because of some underlying principle, but rather because they feel they can get more votes by taking the opposite position.

In a way, the strategy of accusing the other team of 'flip-flopping' is there to help people prented that 'their' politicians support the positions they do because of some underlying integrity rather than for election purposes.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote