User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Feb 2006, 20:52   #51
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: God

Short answer - no

but I respect anyone who does, if that is what gets them through their day so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
God is bollocks. It's just a bloody excuse for stuff people can't explain by logical thinking. Like in the dark ages when they believed the earth was flat and your head would be chopped off if you dared think otherwise because "God" made it like that. But it's round. Who on earth comes up with a world that is actually round? A round world, and make people stick to the bottom side of it so they won't fall off. You must have a pretty sick mind to be the first to come up with that.
"Oh, you know what, let's make a round world, and make people stick on the bottom half of it. Yeah, upside down... that'd be a funny sight!"
Just try telling them that
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:10   #52
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The idea of nothing coming from something is incoherent so you cant really blame them for that. They havent managed to find out how Mary got pregnant without having sex either.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:15   #53
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I believe in the Christian God, though I'm not an exemplorary Christian by any means. I am, contrary to what you may think, as introspective and as intellectually curious as the rest of you. My faith is esssentially a personal thing. It is based upon an acceptance of the wisdom of christian doctrine. It is based upon contemplation of the natural world and of humans as inherently social, moral and creative creatures. It is based upon my own spiritual experiences and the transformation I have seen in others.
I am a essentially a protestant (though the category means relatively little these days, so is the diversity of the protestant church). I disagree quite strongly with several elements of Catholic theology, though certainly not the entirety. I don't trust the Catholic conception of Pope. I don't believe in purgatory or in confessions.
In the last few years my beliefs have been challenged. I am not a creationist. Having been brought up sceptical of evolution, I now accept evolutionary theory as (most probably) scientific fact - but not as a social or moral structure. I am a little less strident in my condemnation of drug-use.
I currently find the issue of homosexuality as it pertains to the christian faith very challenging - I do not hate homosexuals. Whether I am 'homophobic' is something I wonder about, but discount as semantics. I have also been challenged as to the nature of the bible as historical text and doctrine.

That's me.

NB. The Da Vinci Code is a (poorly written) pile of poo.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:17   #54
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
The idea of nothing coming from something is incoherent so you cant really blame them for that. They havent managed to find out how Mary got pregnant without having sex either.
This apparently dates back from the 15th century.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:25   #55
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

The fallen nature of mankind. The perfect nature of God.

I don't suppose that really helps much, but I'm going out for a curry. I'll think upon it.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:28   #56
Giles
No longer amphibious.

Giles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
you're reifying "science". "knowledge" of rational people (for the sake of argument let's say "scientists") as yet cannot determine how nothing came form something (if that's the part that you were arguing about i cba to check sry), not "science".
As a useful rule of thumb, when it looks like someone is reifying something it's usually worth checking whether they are just using language metaphorically or losely, or as a convenient shorthand.

I could have said "The body of received scientific knowledge contains no statements regarding the truth value of (purely) ethical or religious propositions, nor is the method of scientific investigation either suitable or even applicable when attempting to determine such truth values", which would have meant exactly the same thing but wasted everybody's time.

Also, I wasn't debating that point.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:53   #57
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Who the hell performed this study. One that kills babys

On a more serious note. For their to be a god their would have to be some sort of plan to the world. And personally this idea repulses me. I dont like the idea of not having the final say in the running of my life. Fate scares the hell out of me.

I personally like current scientific doctorin. Whilest it leaves many questions unanswered. It allows me a certain freedom in my life that religion doesnt offer me.

Though i have a question for you. If their is a god who made him?
I believe it was the Nazi's ironically.

Again, that's why they call God 'God', a poor argument I know, but a fairly solid one.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:55   #58
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
I believe it was the Nazi's ironically.

Again, that's why they call God 'God', a poor argument I know, but a fairly solid one.
it didn't happen.

IF it had happened (and it didn't) it's illogical to conclude from it that there is a god.

your belief system is founded on untruths and illogical conclusions.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 22:56   #59
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm not sure if I believe in God, the way christians are meant to, wich is ironic, seeing that I'm a protestant, and go to church every now and then. I believe in a Creator, how silly that may be, I consider myself a christian, but due to the fact that I respect and try to uphold christian values, more than that I believe everything described in the Bible. The Bible was written by people, and it was edited by people. I'm not quite sure how I can describe my relationship to christianity, but I wouldn't really call myself a believer.

I could sum it up like this;
I believe that there is a Creator, who created the universe, put down nature laws etc.
I respect and uphold christian values, like those God (supposedly) gave us. this does of course mean that I think the "gist of christianity" is good (and the morales and ethics of most other religions...)

I think there is a word for this, some of you people with an education would know, perhaps?

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 23:04   #60
Giles
No longer amphibious.

Giles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to beholdGiles is a splendid one to behold

Qebab - you may be some kind of Deist or even Unitarian, particularly as you imply that you agree with Christian values on grounds other than their (alleged) divine origin.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote