User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Nov 2008, 09:59   #1
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of
Why Pay For PA?

For some reason I thought this was a free round, and I started discussing the whole free / paid account thing with another player.

Here is my suggestion for another "carrot" which might make some people pay up:

All players get a persistant account.
If you pay, the stuff that you do during that round, generates achievments and stats and other good geeky stuff that people like to brag about, and gets displayed on the site.

Over many rounds, a lot of stats and achievements build up and that player can clearly be shown to be an elite PA player.

If a player doesn't pay, he not only cannot look at the achievment pages of other players (or his own) but stuff that he does during that round won't go on his record.

Thats the basic principle of my proposal, does anyone think its an interesting idea?
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 10:23   #2
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why Pay For PA?

To be quite honest, I like it.

This oppinion should bring back the players which this game needs a lot.
Universe is small these days. Really nice idea to add a "profile" sort of system. Other thing is how much coding it would need. As personally I have no clue how to make it work. Maybe some knowledge from someone?
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 11:40   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Profile system is an old friend of the suggestions forum.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 11:42   #4
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
The Profile system is an old friend of the suggestions forum.
It probably needs a lot effort but I'm pretty sure that could change the member count on a positively high increase.
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 12:11   #5
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

welcome xbox live, warhammer online, wow, eq, and all the other games that feel the need to have an epeen showoff system. we have wiki's, eorcs, and 'who we were' threads here.
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 12:28   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
welcome xbox live, warhammer online, wow, eq, and all the other games that feel the need to have an epeen showoff system. we have wiki's, eorcs, and 'who we were' threads here.
I don't think naming a bunch of highly successful games is a clever approach to discredit this idea. I might even be tempted to classify this under the "retarded" section.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 12:29   #7
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
It's proven popular in other games and appears to make business sense.

I'm still waiting to see the promised OMAC investment - wasn't that supposed to start last round?
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 12:51   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

We would have had it a long time ago if those behind the various incarnations of the passport had kept things simple. This is after all the basic idea behind the passport but every time people tried to implement it they got so far ahead of themselves that they made it into a feature that was unimplementable by volenteer/part time coders, especially with the ridiculous turnover rates and short service times of those brought in to code anything for PA
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 12:59   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.

KISS.

(this bit here is anti-anti-caps-only ignore it)
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 13:20   #10
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

I like this idea, even if it is an idea that's been hanging around for years (along with tieing into the forums too)
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 15:45   #11
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Also; I think 'achievements' should be in PA, and be kept from round to round.

Will OMAC be willing to spare any resources to implement it though?
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 16:05   #12
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

OMAC seem genuinely interested in improving PA, so I think there's a good chance of something like this happening.

I've wanted a Profile feature since I started playing this damn game.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 17:02   #13
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I have yet to find anyone who is against this idea that had a good argument. I think wakey has concisely summed up why it hasn't happened yet. It is a good idea however.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 17:51   #14
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I don't think naming a bunch of highly successful games is a clever approach to discredit this idea. I might even be tempted to classify this under the "retarded" section.
did you even read my whole post? i said "we have wiki's, eorcs, and 'who we were' threads here". why copy paste copy paste these others games when we already have the things existing in another form for those that actually care about it.
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 19:04   #15
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

We did read your whole post. Wikis etc don't stand up against a personal profile.

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 21:02   #16
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladel View Post
We did read your whole post. Wikis etc don't stand up against a personal profile.
^^^I agree.

Even the lowliest ranked player can get enjoyment from interesting achievements.

I spent a lot of time on Crackdown picking up stupid achievements, for instance. If it was just some suggestions on a wiki I probably wouldn't have bothered tbh. I'm under the impression that it's been a successful business approach for many other games and that it wouldn't require a lot of time investment.

I think it's worth it.
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 22:35   #17
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

the only achievements there would be are where you finished in a round, #1 galaxy, #1 alliance (which are available on the portal and forums). who cares about of # of roids captured, xp gained, value killed, value suicided, etc. its a waste of time in my opinion.

on games like crackdown (which i've never played) or fallout 3 and such - the achievements give a sense of completion. they tell you what you've done and what you haven't done. i fail to see how it would make this game any more enjoyable or what it would actually add. just seems like something to waste coding time on instead of actual things that need fixing / improving.
Unread 4 Nov 2008, 10:58   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I can comfirm that OMAC are interested in this - they want persistent player accounts and even mouseovers in game to show current / historic rankings for current players (bye bye anonymity )

We are working with OMAC to finalise a set of requirements so that Cin can complete his portal / passport system and we can look at further integration.
Unread 5 Nov 2008, 16:42   #19
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
I can comfirm that OMAC are interested in this - they want persistent player accounts and even mouseovers in game to show current / historic rankings for current players (bye bye anonymity )

We are working with OMAC to finalise a set of requirements so that Cin can complete his portal / passport system and we can look at further integration.
Sounds promising, I do indeed like this idea! Alot of people in PA are obsessed with rankings, its one of the major draws for us sad statistical bastards. Profiles adds another friendly element to this - especially with the multi-round passport!

/signed

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2008, 18:04   #20
Gate
;D!

Quote:
the only achievements there would be are where you finished in a round, #1 galaxy, #1 alliance (which are available on the portal and forums). who cares about of # of roids captured, xp gained, value killed, value suicided, etc. its a waste of time in my opinion.

on games like crackdown (which i've never played) or fallout 3 and such - the achievements give a sense of completion. they tell you what you've done and what you haven't done. i fail to see how it would make this game any more enjoyable or what it would actually add. just seems like something to waste coding time on instead of actual things that need fixing / improving.
Crackdown has various stupid things, like throw a body 300m or something.

Roiding planets many times your value, in bigger alliances, killing or stunning entire fleets, voted best member of your alliance or something etc.

I think it has the potential to do more than wikis can, and be far more inclusive.
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 00:15   #21
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

i'm open to considering it as a good idea, i'm just wondering what you'd include in it is all. with a game of this nature its hard to foresee any 'interesting' stuff other than rankings, and thats just pointless imo
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 00:30   #22
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

*shrug*

E-penis type thing I guess. Most roids lost/gained, ships built/killed, resources accrued, etc.

It's not much for one or two rounds, but since people like big numbers, it will be interesting later...perhaps have a "rank" system based on each category too.

This would have been more interesting if they'd started it a long time ago (at least for people like me who've played most rounds since 3) but better late than never I guess.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 12:30   #23
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

The passport has always been a major stumbling block. The quick solution to permanent accounts would be to keep all accounts in the main game and reset all the planets for the start of a new round, if players don't login then just hide their account/planet from the universe until they login again.

Anyway, regarding achievements it would be nice to see an achievement for nearly everything. Warhammer Online is a great example, you get a reward/title for the even the most silly things - like falling of a cliff 10 times. I'm sure some people (hi Clogg!) would easily get an achievement named "crashed fleet 10 times".

My only concern is adding this feature so late into the game misses so much history.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 14:08   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
The passport has always been a major stumbling block. The quick solution to permanent accounts would be to keep all accounts in the main game and reset all the planets for the start of a new round, if players don't login then just hide their account/planet from the universe until they login again.

Anyway, regarding achievements it would be nice to see an achievement for nearly everything. Warhammer Online is a great example, you get a reward/title for the even the most silly things - like falling of a cliff 10 times. I'm sure some people (hi Clogg!) would easily get an achievement named "crashed fleet 10 times".
Achievements would be very cool. That said I would not add them in the initial passport system. For the first rounds, keep it small and straightforward. The core of a PA passport system should be that people sign up an account once, and then create planets in running games from within the account by simply clicking a "create planet!" button; all further planet-specific settings should be made from ingame preferences. The only other feature I'd implement is that credits are assigned to the account, not the planet or e-mail address. Don't add anything else, just see how it works out. More features can (and should!) be added for later rounds, but first and foremost, KISS. Too many projects have failed because they wanted to do too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
My only concern is adding this feature so late into the game misses so much history.
This is unfortunately true, but better late than never.
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 16:13   #25
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Quote:
My only concern is adding this feature so late into the game misses so much history
The only reason why I see it as not being implemented.

I have a feeling a lot of older players wouldn't like to see this appear now. Of course I might be wrong, it depends how prestigious people are.
Unread 6 Nov 2008, 16:21   #26
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Sorry, I disagree there. If people are really childish enough to block this because "I did it all back in round 5 and I didn't get the achievements, so now you shoulnd't get them either", they can go **** themselves.

But this function is nothing new. For example, when XP was introduced, no one cried that they didn't get XP in round 9.5. The same applies here.
Unread 9 Nov 2008, 23:46   #27
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

hmmmm

i ref in a league for another game and the guy who created the league coded and implemented a passport system which linked through to achievements and leaderboards across 4 different leagues all within a day... what exactly is taking the PATeam so long to come up with a passport system? The game i'm talking about has a comparable playerbase (903 registered players) so ?

Any player who feels he did it all in round x and didn't get a profile addition so its unfair to add one now can go shove his pompous head up his own ass. Hey if ur that damn good get some achievements once its initiated. OMG i actually agree with that lameo mz. never thought i'd see the day. Hey PA might finally be changing
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2008, 10:32   #28
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove View Post
Sounds promising, I do indeed like this idea! Alot of people in PA are obsessed with rankings, its one of the major draws for us sad statistical bastards. Profiles adds another friendly element to this - especially with the multi-round passport!

/signed
agreed.