User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 13 Jan 2007, 04:37   #51
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough
Re: With Marv gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
If Idler were in PATeam he would probabaly be best in some kind of development role, but again to reitierate some previous posts it would be useful if he were serious about this to join the support and possibly MH teams first. This way PATeam can assess his knowledge and understanding of the current game and then combined with our knowledge of his usefulness in the past we could make an informed decision. Many people in the current team have moved up the ranks quickly, so I'm confident that if idler was serious about wanting to contribute and he demonstrated his usefulness and trustworthyness that he could become a real asset to the team over time.
This is one of the reasons why other areas of Planetarion are so badly understaffed.

I'm not saying that people should be instantly put in a key position which could cause problems, however there needs to be other positions available. You're missing some very talented and highly skilled people because you only tend to promote support people. Create some new sub-projects, not everyone who wants to help Planetarion is willing to be a support drone to get onto something they're far more experienced with.

You're down to 2 developers, ever considered getting more to do the job?
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 09:37   #52
HK
Agnus Dei

HK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
historically, anyone who directly asks to be pateam gets veto'd from within.
The best way to become pateam is actually to work up through the ranks, proving yourself.
Having recently thoroughly studied the internal mechanisms of the Communist Party in the Soviet Union I can only say: déjà vu!

Otherwise good luck idler :P Unfortunately democracy and PA don't really work neither on alliance level nor on the PATeam level so supporting you in this post doesn't do much.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 10:51   #53
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'l try to post somethign constructive.

With idler's historic experience he would probabaly be an asset to PATeam in some way. However he almost certainly knows very little about the shupport ...
Have you just coined the word "shupport" (deriving from the retarded mispronunciation) to properly explain the PA support experiences?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 13:22   #54
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

So it's like the civil service? You get promoted/appointed not on merit, but only when it's 'your turn'.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 13:56   #55
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Right, I'm going to refer you all to this thread from September. Yes, it's 5 pages long, but it's not a difficult read. Idler is exactly the type of person I had in mind to be brought into PA Team when writing my posts back then. He doesn't have to be put in charge of Support - his talents probably aren't best fulfilled there. I know that everyone has their own fiefdoms, but even Tony Blair reshuffles his cabinet once in a while.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 15:36   #56
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Isn't pateam big enough already?!

There really can't be that much to do !
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 16:32   #57
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Right, I'm going to refer you all to this thread from September. Yes, it's 5 pages long, but it's not a difficult read. Idler is exactly the type of person I had in mind to be brought into PA Team when writing my posts back then. He doesn't have to be put in charge of Support - his talents probably aren't best fulfilled there. I know that everyone has their own fiefdoms, but even Tony Blair reshuffles his cabinet once in a while.

To use your Brittish politics analogy, there are also loads of junior ministers who run various parts of the departments. Now assuming idler was willing to sign an NDA, and assuming the CV he mentions is actually reasonable then I'm sure we would be willing to listen to his thoughts in a development capacity - we do have a development team beyond just PATeam.

However wouldn;t you are that using the politcs analogy it would be unlikely that Tony Blair would put someone into say run the home office that he didn't have any knowledge of? Remember, while Idler has done some stuff related to PA in the past, none of the current PATeam have any experiance of that.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 17:07   #58
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
To use your Brittish politics analogy, there are also loads of junior ministers who run various parts of the departments.
Sure - for example, the mods team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Now assuming idler was willing to sign an NDA, and assuming the CV he mentions is actually reasonable then I'm sure we would be willing to listen to his thoughts in a development capacity - we do have a development team beyond just PATeam.

However wouldn;t you are that using the politcs analogy it would be unlikely that Tony Blair would put someone into say run the home office that he didn't have any knowledge of? Remember, while Idler has done some stuff related to PA in the past, none of the current PATeam have any experiance of that.
However, when a new government is elected people will often be put in charge of things for the first time. Alternatively, people may be appointed in a reshuffle to roles they know little about, such as Margaret Beckett being made Foreign Secretary. It's often about the people being suited to each department (i.e. Beckett being an experienced politician) as opposed to their actual experience in that field.
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 19:10   #59
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
However, when a new government is elected people will often be put in charge of things for the first time. Alternatively, people may be appointed in a reshuffle to roles they know little about, such as Margaret Beckett being made Foreign Secretary. It's often about the people being suited to each department (i.e. Beckett being an experienced politician) as opposed to their actual experience in that field.
Precisly - and we do do reshuffles within PATeam. To continue the analogy, Margaret Beckett was a known person, Tony therefore knew she would be capable of doing the job. We in PATeam have no idea whether community member X is capable of doing any of the PATeam jobs. If they join a junior team then we will see them work, talk to them etc. We won't just be looking at them from the point of view of their current job e.g. support team member. For example lots of support team members are selected to join the MH team, or the development team (in fact I believe some have gone straight form support team to PATeam (none support roles) in the past.

The point is simple, if people want to be involved in running PA in some way, then joining oone of the junior teams is a good plan as they then make themselves known to us, and if they are good and demonstrate potential to us we will notice and we will put them where they can help PA best. We've done it before and we can do it again.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 13 Jan 2007, 21:18   #60
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
The point is simple, if people want to be involved in running PA in some way, then joining oone of the junior teams is a good plan as they then make themselves known to us, and if they are good and demonstrate potential to us we will notice and we will put them where they can help PA best. We've done it before and we can do it again.
But the only "junior" team is the support team.

Let's say I'm a talented Perl or PHP coder, but I have no interest in joining the support team. How am I meant to contribute to Planetarion? Join a team I have no interest for months incase I'm noticed by providing support in an IRC channel?

You need other junior positions to get people started. Why not get new coders doing other tasks which are slightly outside the game? No NDA needed if they're starting from scratch, however ensure that Jolt shares the copyright. If they prove worthwhile then perhaps an NDA can be signed and a more permanent and senior position can be given, then they can work on improving existing code.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 00:09   #61
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A new sense of direction doesn't come from a few smart people, who have all been in the company for 20 years, getting together and thinking about it. You have to dramatically increase the strategic variety that's there, create thousands of new ideas out of which you can look for new themes and directions. And then the role of top management is to be the editor. That is, top managers move from being the creators of strategy to searching for the patterns in the streams of ideas that -- in the most innovative companies -- constantly emerge in the organization.
-Gary Hamel

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 02:25   #62
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Now that Marv is gone, I understand there is a vacant spot in the PA Team.

I hereby apply for the open position, and I can deliver a grand resumé if requested. (Contains previous career as PA admin, HC, t15 planets and the inbetween state of the funny).
Great, yet more representation of the extreme hardcore players on pa team so what is best for the avg player is not properly considered....
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 11:36   #63
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M
But the only "junior" team is the support team.

Let's say I'm a talented Perl or PHP coder, but I have no interest in joining the support team. How am I meant to contribute to Planetarion? Join a team I have no interest for months incase I'm noticed by providing support in an IRC channel?

You need other junior positions to get people started. Why not get new coders doing other tasks which are slightly outside the game? No NDA needed if they're starting from scratch, however ensure that Jolt shares the copyright. If they prove worthwhile then perhaps an NDA can be signed and a more permanent and senior position can be given, then they can work on improving existing code.
there are other junior teams...

there is a development team, a portal team, the mh team etc.

If someone wants to help coding any part of the game they are welcom to come and talk to us, but an NDA would be required. However, the latest version of the NDA really isn't that restrictive.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 12:55   #64
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
However wouldn;t you are that using the politcs analogy it would be unlikely that Tony Blair would put someone into say run the home office that he didn't have any knowledge of?
If you apply for a job, you the company which you apply to are very unlikely to have much knowledge of you.

This is what CV/applications and references are for...

You know, it probably wouldn't take you much time to talk to someone who were in the team while Idler was, if you can find any. Or even send out a mail or two. The fact that you apparently aren't interested in that makes me think that this application will not be considered regardless though.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 17:15   #65
Clogg
SiNķng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Idler for PAteam, would be nice to have atleast someone with vision there.

I personnaly think it's utter crap having to do an course with support team etc before you can be PA team. True it will get you someone who knows procedures. But have you thought about the possibility that these procedures are EXACTLY the reason why this game is stagnant. Because they make it unable to think outside the box (for the people who rose through the ranks due to these procedures).

Thus new blood is needed, experiment first and tweak the succesfull experiments.

If Idler thinks he can supply this new blood with vision and willing to experiment, he has got me vote for 100%!
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 17:25   #66
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

recruiting from existing teams has less to do with procedures and more to do with being able to trust said person
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 18:13   #67
Kal
Inactive peon

If idler has vision etc. he should join the development team and help us, he doesn't need to be in PATeam.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 18:40   #68
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
Great, yet more representation of the extreme hardcore players on pa team so what is best for the avg player is not properly considered....
Wait, who currently on PA Team was ever a hardcore player (for more than about half a round)? Player skill wise, PA Team is *heavily* representative of non-top ranking players than anything else.
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 21:17   #69
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinA
Wait, who currently on PA Team was ever a hardcore player (for more than about half a round)? Player skill wise, PA Team is *heavily* representative of non-top ranking players than anything else.
I semi-resent that, I was more than capable of fencesitting my way to the top 15

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 21:27   #70
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Me. More or less was always in a top 10 gal. Ended in top 100 at least 4 times also. I never ended up in top 10 at the end ill admit, but still i know how to play.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 22:00   #71
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Believe it or not when I was a player my galaxies usually ended top 20 - 25 and I usually managed top 100 at least.

Bear in mind I haven't been a player since Round 10-11.

I was never anything uber or ground breaking, but I was definatly above adverage.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 23:14   #72
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Assassin: what rounds
Marv: what rounds
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 23:21   #73
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I quickly searched through all the planet rankings in Scouse's and PAwiki's. I didn't find any round where neither marv or Assassin would have been top100. They might be among the unfortunate individuals whose names have been erased in from the history books and appear as unknowns, though, but I'd seriously be surprised if this had happened to one person a multiple times.

Good questions then, jer.

disclaimer:
I might have missed something.
I did not have post-havoc data available.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 23:42   #74
Kal
Inactive peon

from memory i was t60 in r10 and t15 in r11, but i might have my rounds mixed up.

I think Appoco did reasonably well while playing and if I recall correctly cin has been t100 while playing in 1:1 without any alliance defence etc.

JPG is also a pretty good player and I'm sure has had very high ranked planets ( I just can't recall how high off the top of my head.)

So I'd argue that the current team has some pedigree in terms of game success, whether or not game success is relevant to one's ability to run a game is another question though.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Jan 2007, 23:51   #75
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'd like to point out that me and jerome were refering to Marv's and Assassins self-claims of their succesfull PA careers. I never argued JBG wasn't a solid performer, or Appocomaster. Of you I have no clue.
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 01:29   #76
Clogg
SiNķng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

I just reread this entire thread, guess I had too much time on my hands. But with all the political referances, why don't we just have elections. Choose the head the head of PA team and let her / him select and lead the team for x rounds. During the campaign the candidates can have posts / debates on their vision for the PA future and how they will try to get there.

Just some spur of the moment thought.
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 02:07   #77
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
Marv: what rounds
I in all honesty can not remember. I didn't keep any records. It was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
I'd like to point out that me and jerome were refering to Marv's and Assassins self-claims of their succesfull PA careers.
I would hardly call my Planetarion career as a player successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
[...]if I recall correctly cin has been t100 while playing in 1:1 without any alliance defence etc.
I think it was Round 18. Might have been 17.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 03:27   #78
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This thread is now way off topic.

Idler is such an emo. Discuss.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 03:57   #79
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

I swear that development had little to do on who you can NAP, how much butt kissing you can do, and how many friends you made that are willing to support your bid for #1.

Just a random thought though =/

edit: I am not referring this to idler at all. More to Nitina honestly.
edit2: and I'm not trying to sound like an ass... just trying to put that there's more to being qualified than having a lot of friends willing to save your backside

Last edited by Squidly; 15 Jan 2007 at 04:04.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 05:46   #80
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'l try to post somethign constructive.

With idler's historic experience he would probabaly be an asset to PATeam in some way. However he almost certainly knows very little about the shupport team, how it works etc. He probabaly also has very little idea of the tasks the Head of Support actually does, and I'm confident that if he did he wouldn't actually want the job.

If Idler were in PATeam he would probabaly be best in some kind of development role, but again to reitierate some previous posts it would be useful if he were serious about this to join the support and possibly MH teams first. This way PATeam can assess his knowledge and understanding of the current game and then combined with our knowledge of his usefulness in the past we could make an informed decision. Many people in the current team have moved up the ranks quickly, so I'm confident that if idler was serious about wanting to contribute and he demonstrated his usefulness and trustworthyness that he could become a real asset to the team over time.

bring back Phil^
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 08:49   #81
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I in all honesty can not remember. I didn't keep any records. It was a long time ago.
Records are kept regardless, you know. It would be rather difficult to remember when it most apparently never happened in the first place.
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 17:29   #82
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Records are kept regardless, you know. It would be rather difficult to remember when it most apparently never happened in the first place.

That depends on apinion. Assassin as far as im aware has played all rounds including speedrounds. Even i couldnt keep track of that. Now i am not sure about Marv and Kals carrear. But i do remmember Assassin finishing in the top 100 in round 5 at least as he was in Legion that round and i recall that. Dont think he ended top 100 as much as hes claiming though (Sorry Assassin) least his gal thing though makes sense he was usally in a top 10 gal. Just never first.

But again, it depends. I always considered myself as a 'hardcore player' but i always went idle near the end. If i recall i only ended top 100 the one round due to that, which was round 1.

Anyway... totally going off topic here. Has Idler spoke with anyone from PA Team yet at all? Which was the whole point of this topic.

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Willzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 17:59   #83
Tietäjä
Good Son

Yeah, there are 5 unidentified people in round 5 top100, so he could be one of those.

What comes to speedrounds, world cups, and such, I'm sure there's plenty of people who've ended up top100 in those merely by logging in a few times.

edit. point being, it's wank to come here and brag with inexisting achievements.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 17:28   #84
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, there are 5 unidentified people in round 5 top100, so he could be one of those.

What comes to speedrounds, world cups, and such, I'm sure there's plenty of people who've ended up top100 in those merely by logging in a few times.

edit. point being, it's wank to come here and brag with inexisting achievements.
Hello to you also Keiz How kind you take interest in my history awww how kind

And yes your right ill appologise. I only ended top 100 in 2 rounds not 4. Another was where i ended second in an old speedround. The old ones with R6B. But as you said they dont count. Willzzz is correct according to my old logs. I ended rank 86th in round 5. Not exactly fantastic but still. Was in Legion that round probably why he remmembers. The other was in round 10, only reason why i remmember that is becuase i was in Eclipse and Focht will recall me ending top 100 that round due to i leached defence. So there ya go. Appologise for adding an extra 2 on, i honestly thought i had. But least i can prove 2. Anyway, cheers for the mentions in the other threads also keiz, your a kind sod rnt you

Quote:
I'd like to point out that me and jerome were refering to Marv's and Assassins self-claims of their succesfull PA careers. I never argued JBG wasn't a solid performer, or Appocomaster. Of you I have no clue.
Like to also point out i never claimed i was an elite player. Just pointed out to nitina i have some experience of being in top 100, plus of course playing all rounds and being involved in a lot of major alliances usally at an officer rank. Which ill admit i was better as being an officer helping alliances out then playing most rounds. Rounds 1-4 i was a complete noob. So i never said i had a 'succesfull PA Career'

p3nguin Founder

Last edited by Assassin; 16 Jan 2007 at 18:03.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 17:36   #85
Assassin
PA Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
so 50% of what you say is lies.
well, well, well.....
this is quite the revelation isn't it mr.official.
I thought it was 4. So wouldnt exactly call it a lie. I ended just out of top 100 in round 9.5 and in round 12. So Thats where i got mixed up.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 17:42   #86
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
so 50% of what you say is lies.
well, well, well.....
this is quite the revelation isn't it mr.official.
And here comes the Anti Assassin Brigade. Lets all tune in to see everyone that hates Assassin post on this thread. (me waits for all exi people to appear)

Dont worry Ass you cant please everyone. Amusing though kal wasnt targetted only you and Marv by jer and keiz. Anyway. Is this topic ever going back on topic? Or are we now turning this into a flaiming thread?

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 18:29   #87
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

i am not nor was i ever exi. this said, in the rounds ive played i have never had a soft spot for either assassin nor cin. they never got my trust. Appoco is a whole different story.

but the matter at hand is the PATeam, now i don't know if i personally want idler in -he called me a lazy non producing society-burdeon at one point on AD i think -, but if people think he is qualified, then why not vote on it?
all the nepotism in the PATeam has been going on for too long! it has never been a matter of how good you are at something, but more rather of who you know that can weasel your way in.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 18:55   #88
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo
all the nepotism in the PATeam has been going on for too long! it has never been a matter of how good you are at something, but more rather of who you know that can weasel your way in.

Just like life... the real one
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:03   #89
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzzz
Dont worry Ass you cant please everyone. Amusing though kal wasnt targetted only you and Marv by jer and keiz. Anyway. Is this topic ever going back on topic? Or are we now turning this into a flaiming thread?
We're definately on our way back to the topic. Meanwhile, we'd still like to make a sidenote regarding Mr. Honesty here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
The other was in round 10, only reason why i remmember that is becuase i was in Eclipse and Focht will recall me ending top 100 that round due to i leached defence.
The only "unknown" in the PAWiki rankings for Round 10 Planets is #79, marked down as wolfpack. Your name doesn't appear on the thread regarding round 10's top100 planets either. Care to elaborate? Or shall we just agree that instead of 50%, 75% of what you say is lies, or 50% of the 50% you claim is true is actually lies?

Oh please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
i am not nor was i ever exi. this said, in the rounds ive played i have never had a soft spot for either assassin nor cin. they never got my trust. Appoco is a whole different story.

but the matter at hand is the PATeam, now i don't know if i personally want idler in -he called me a lazy non producing society-burdeon at one point on AD i think -, but if people think he is qualified, then why not vote on it?
I pretty much second you here. With all what you say. Appocomaster is definately working what he's able to work - as a volunter worker, and he's really not getting enough credit for it. The thing is, as Planetarion is to him also a hobby rather than a job, he's definately never going to do it full time, unless it pays. Nobody would. There's probably definate room in the development team for more than just one more guy. I'd like to hear an opinion from Appocomaster regarding the current staff situation in what comes to game administration (not just rewriting the manual and pondering on better ways to help the customers). Idler is, regardless, experienced in the task, so he can't be utterly useless.

Whilst we're yet to hear head honcho's opinion on this, why not just have a community vote on it then?
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:33   #90
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:
We're definately on our way back to the topic. Meanwhile, we'd still like to make a sidenote regarding Mr. Honesty here. Thanks.

The only "unknown" in the PAWiki rankings for Round 10 Planets is #79, marked down as wolfpack. Your name doesn't appear on the thread regarding round 10's top100 planets either. Care to elaborate? Or shall we just agree that instead of 50%, 75% of what you say is lies, or 50% of the 50% you claim is true is actually lies?

Oh please.

Do you really have that much free time on your hands? Seems you have proven him wrong mind you well done. Now ill agree i am throwning upon the fact Assassin is either lieing or just cant even remmember his own planet history (which i find hard to beleive). But at the same time i dont understand what your obsession seems to be with him?

Has he closed you in previous rounds? Becuase there is an obvious fued here. You even went onto searching for forum threads regarding this issue. To do what? To prove a guy wrong on the PA boards? Your first critism was to do with somthing about Assassin giving himself a big e-penis from what I saw you speak in some channels on irc. Seems now your boostiing your own ego with this 'I have proven him wrong arnt i good?'

Now. I think you and him need to either take this to pm or somwhere else. As im bored of reading it on this thread which has gone completly off topic.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:47   #91
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

it has not gone completely offtopic yet. the issue is still being discussed. but it's not like you are helping at all.
if you want the thread to stay on-topic, then post that way. if not, you are whining about nothing more than your own incapacity to post seriously.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:52   #92
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:
it has not gone completely offtopic yet. the issue is still being discussed. but it's not like you are helping at all.
if you want the thread to stay on-topic, then post that way. if not, you are whining about nothing more than your own incapacity to post seriously.
I am posting in responce to a pathetic argument. Forgive me for actually not wanting to read somones personal fued on a thread with no relevence to it at all.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 20:58   #93
voodoo
a pain

you fell for it. you see how easy it is go offtopic? you did it yourself just now, starting a mini-personal-feud with me, trying to prove me wrong, instead of taking that reply in the private-mail section, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. so until you learn to refrain from going off-topic yourself due to some random post on the board, thust taking the thread somewhere else than the initial topic, you should also refrain from whining about people who do the same.
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 21:06   #94
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:
you fell for it. you see how easy it is go offtopic? you did it yourself just now, starting a mini-personal-feud with me, trying to prove me wrong, instead of taking that reply in the private-mail section, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. so until you learn to refrain from going off-topic yourself due to some random post on the board, thust taking the thread somewhere else than the initial topic, you should also refrain from whining about people who do the same.
Fell for it? Beleive me voodoo if i wanted to make this personal with you i would. If you noticed in my last post i didnt address yourself or even mention your name. I am not trying to prove you wrong at all, although, ive saw you post a few times now doing the same thing your telling me to do. Keep quiet. IF i see somone using this thread to make a fued on somone which i see no relevence for then im going to share my view. Sorry that you fail to understand my posts. Anyway I will actually stop posting. Maybe though, you need to read my first post regarding this issue i did actually try and get this back on topic, but it appears we are going to be going into this debate for maybe another few posts? ie you lot moaning at Assassin. Anyway. Ill leave you to it.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 23:52   #95
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzzz
Now. I think you and him need to either take this to pm or somwhere else. As im bored of reading it on this thread which has gone completly off topic.
You didn't notice that it was right about to go back on topic until you started writing. Edit: to make it clearer, the discussion was regarding a community vote or a similar method of solving whether the players feel the game needs more administrators, and regarding on how the current administration one-man team feels on his ability to run the game's mechanical side pretty much alone for god knows how many years now.
Unread 17 Jan 2007, 00:10   #96
Kal
Inactive peon

Planetarion has many administrators. Planetarion has one head of Development. Three coders work on the game - Appoco, Cin and Myk. Cin in particular has done a huge amount of coding in the run up to the new round as Appoco has been busy with uni things. I am confident in saying that the team as it stands now is in really good shape and we have made multiple signifcant changes for the new round. I know there are also plans for many more changes for round 21 as we continue along the plans we set out towards the end of last year. I also think we are failry set on our long term vision, our historical difficulties have been in the step between vision and feature design - that is where we could probably use some help from people with the right skills. idler is welcome to approach us and offer his services, but there is no real reason why he needs to be in PATeam to do that.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2007, 03:14   #97
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

I think PATeam need a revamp of the recruitment criteria as the current way is clearly not getting results.

Therefore with the recent links found between 'good looks' and intelligence I suggest PATeam begin to recruit based on how good looking the applicants are, which can be judged via a webcam interview and pictures.

This is a rather simple adjustment and will do wonders for the team. Firstly by boosting morale of the current team and secondly by boosting the average IQ of the PATeam to over 100 for the first time in its history.

I would suggest myself but quite frankly I really cannot be bothered and I think most of the current PATeam are complete idiots, which might create a negative atmosphere.

(P.S. Assassin probably doesnt deserve quite so much hastle. Whoever recruited him into PATeam and gave him even an ounce of responsability needs a good kicking though.)

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 15:43   #98
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice

Idler doesnt know the difference between a roid and a hemorrhoid, so giving that tosser anything that could even look like power is a bad idea.

DTA
Support the liberation of "AllFather"
AllFather|away is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 15:53   #99
Furbie_Fanatic
Dinosaur

Furbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the rough

Neither do you af
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Dont Trust Anyone!
Furbie_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2007, 15:54   #100
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice

I have enough power from before though, don't need anymore.

DTA
Support the liberation of "AllFather"
AllFather|away is offline   Reply With Quote