User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Sep 2006, 21:18   #51
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Question about joining the Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
should someone from each of the top 20 alliances not have a rep in the beta to ensure impartiality
How about we put competent PA players in the betas to actually get an idea of how the stats work? Putting 2 players from each alliance in will just ensure that the top alliance players have it easy and the stats aren't put under any stress.

What you need is a lot of intelligent good players to test and play around with the stats, building up big fleets to try to find flaws. People like jer and pig would be included in that. I'm sure that they wouldn't mind trying to 'break' the game, as Soveh suggested, in return for this access.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 21:58   #52
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
How about we put competent PA players in the betas to actually get an idea of how the stats work? Putting 2 players from each alliance in will just ensure that the top alliance players have it easy and the stats aren't put under any stress.
Cause evidently, the only decent players are in the top alliances.

Oh please.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:01   #53
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook

Oh please.
He isnt saying "two players from the top alliances"
he's saying "the top two players from each alliance"

besides, it sounds like hes more concerned that alliance players wont test properly, or if they do it will be for their alliance and not the game that will benefit from it.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:02   #54
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Oh please.
It is generally the case that the best players are in the best alliances. Quality rises to the top for two reasons:
  1. Good players in alliances of lesser quality generally move on to a better alliance to further their PA careers. You won't get #1 if you're not in a top 5 alliance.
  2. Top alliances are constantly looking for good players to join them.

I did mean to add this as a rider to my previous post to prevent replies like yours, but it's a bit late now.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:02   #55
hook

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
He isnt saying "two players from the top alliances"
he's saying "the top two players from each alliance"
Who is? Cause I certainly do not read that in furball's post I replied to.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:04   #56
hook

Quote:
It is generally the case that the best players are in the best alliances. Quality rises to the top for two reasons:
  1. Good players in alliances of lesser quality generally move on to a better alliance to further their PA careers. You won't get #1 if you're not in a top 5 alliance.
  2. Top alliances are constantly looking for good players to join them.

I did mean to add this as a rider to my previous post to prevent replies like yours, but it's a bit late now.
I'm not here to nit-pick on your posts, mind you. I replied because I feel there's some quality in smaller alliances aswell (who choose a new challenge instead of planet management), these players shouldn't be dismissed out of thin air simply because they're not amongst the top ranks. Therefore I feel gzambo has a point saying these alliances shouldn't be disregarded (easily, I may add).
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:09   #57
furball

Quote:
I'm not here to nit-pick on your posts, mind you. I replied because I feel there's some quality in smaller alliances aswell (who choose a new challenge instead of planet management), these players shouldn't be dismissed out of thin air simply because they're not amongst the top ranks. Therefore I feel gzambo has a point saying these alliances shouldn't be disregarded (easily, I may add).
The usual invites should still be available via #alliances, just that access should also be given to the "intelligent good players" (as I referred to earlier) to ensure that full testing occurs.

Doing a Noah and putting two of each alliance into the beta seems like an intrinsically bad idea to me.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:15   #58
hook

Quote:
The usual invites should still be available via #alliances, just that access should also be given to the "intelligent good players" (as I referred to earlier) to ensure that full testing occurs.

Doing a Noah and putting two of each alliance into the beta seems like an intrinsically bad idea to me.
I'm not necesarilly convinced of it being a bad idea, I just don't believe it's sufficient on it's own. Perhaps a combination with high-profile players to stress the stats would give a good reflection of how the community experiences the stats, which is in turn in the game's interest aswell.

Dismissing these possibly less-quality players doesn't seem like a good strategy to me either, seeing they ARE a part of the customer base and possibly represent how new players experience the stats.

(P.S To the person(s) negrepping me - please point out the flaws in my argument as a catchy one-liner doesn't help anyone one bit. Thanks)
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:18   #59
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Here is one idea, all the top 100 players from the round before automatically qualifies as beta testers.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 22:32   #60
furball

Quote:
Dismissing these possibly less-quality players doesn't seem like a good strategy to me either, seeing they ARE a part of the customer base and possibly represent how new players experience the stats.
Yes, they are part of the customer base. The same part of the customer base that regularly suggests that we include Death Stars in the game.

More importantly, they share with the top players a common goal - for the game to be as balanced as possible. I believe that a beta tester needs either experience or skill to succeed in the role, preferably both.
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 23:18   #61
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Erm..on the Alliances matter.

All the alliance HC reps that sit in #alliances were invited to join the beta.

Not all of them chose to but I did speak to them in that channel and invite them to join.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 00:30   #62
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
#Strategy ; #Support - Sovereign

well with the amount of ppl in support its kinda weird how little you guys do to the ppl asking about help about stuff. so i take it you guys are the pa-team asskissing crew^^ no wonder nothing happens gg
I've always found the people in #support extremely helpful - they've either solved my problems, or if they couldn't they've referred me to someone who could.
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 06:20   #63
hook

Quote:
More importantly, they share with the top players a common goal - for the game to be as balanced as possible. I believe that a beta tester needs either experience or skill to succeed in the role, preferably both.
Since I really do not have much time for this, let's agree to disagree then. (P.S I also do not believe 'balanced stats' are the be all end all).
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 10:44   #64
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
well with the amount of ppl in support its kinda weird how little you guys do to the ppl asking about help about stuff.
Certain questions can only be handed by people with admin access - namely, all questions relating to people being closed and the like. As this represents about 40% of all the questions, then it is true - support must hand over multihunter cases to multihunters. Mind you, that is the whole point of having multihunters.

If you do, however, happen to have a question that you would like answered, then ask it and we'll do our best to answer it. What specifically are you refering to?

Quote:
so i take it you guys are the pa-team asskissing crew^^ no wonder nothing happens gg
It is unfortunate that nothing can be done about the morons who inhabit this forum - more specifically, you.

Quote:
and i find it intresting how fast jerome's stats got ignored and beta continues with shitstats as usual
Just because Jerome's ship stats havent been implemented, does not mean that they've been ignored. Whilst i dont know the exact reason why they havent been implemented (i could ask, i suppose), a quick search through common sense could name a couple of possibilities; the elimination of a whole race (and associated coding with all the little things attached to the race), that there is dissent from jerome's stats (not everyone likes them, contrary to popular belief), etc. Whilst ship stats dont need to satasfy both of those conditions, jerome's stats represent a very significant shift compared to previous rounds - similar to R6. That is not neccessarily a bad thing by far; just i think it warrants further study. "Look before you leap".
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 11:50   #65
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

the main issue is they haven't even taken some of the suggested ideas or well ANYTHING to make the game any more interesting, the stats are still as one dimensional as ever and why don't people realise how boring that is, any skill pa ever had has definitely gone by now; it's the people who adapt quickest who are good, not the people who are good several rounds later
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 11:53   #66
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
the main issue is they haven't even taken some of the suggested ideas or well ANYTHING to make the game any more interesting, the stats are still as one dimensional as ever and why don't people realise how boring that is, any skill pa ever had has definitely gone by now; it's the people who adapt quickest who are good, not the people who are good several rounds later
Wont less stats make the game more one dimensional? Could you explain to me why only 3 races would make the game more varied?
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 12:51   #67
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Erm..on the Alliances matter.

All the alliance HC reps that sit in #alliances were invited to join the beta.

Not all of them chose to but I did speak to them in that channel and invite them to join.

You asked all ???
#multihunters
----------------------------
Former HC - Conspiracy Theory -
- Proud to have served as -
- High Commander and CEO -
[]LCH[] ...lets change history
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 12:59   #68
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Beta is always a contentious subject. The problem that actually arises from beta is that you dont seem to have a team who look to test. Instead you have random people who I have never heard of playing and being zik and going "ZOMG I'M #1 IN BETA!!!". Now I dont mind people seeing to see if zik is effective etc. Thats coolio with me, but if you controlled the quality of the beta. For example have an application process where people can apply.

Then one of the support staff can do something and select a group of players on there crudentials in the game and the commitment. Now before people have a go at me and go "but what about the random player etc" **** them. Its beta its supposed to be getting it right before the round. There is normally always an open beta just before the round so everyone being on a level playing field is not an issue.

Now how do you select these players? I would personally invite some and do the application process. Take proven players who know and understand the stats. I would also consult them on what could be added/taken away and have a coder on hand to do the work and change the game.

I would like to add at this point that I believe there needs to be a change in the format of the stats. Those who played the world cup may agree with me in that the world cup stats were fresh, balanced and fairly interesting. Why not go back to two races? It was balanced, tactical and I enjoyed it. As did others with calls of reverting back to those stats. I'm not a developer/programmer etc but there are some clever people in this community who are ideas people from jerome` to jester people are there to help out.

Who is timeline btw? Or am I out of the loop?