User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:35   #1
Doogle

Doogle can only hope to improve
What next for Sven Goran?

At first the guy walked on water, with England beating Germany 5-1, but the world cup performance was passionless to say the least, and does that come from Sven Goran Erikkson being a foreign manager or was it down to the players being happy as fat cat millionaires more interested in Bollinger and Ferraris?

But what next for Sven? Man Utd job seems to have gone out the window, but has Svens future gone with it? Who should be the next England manager? Bobby Robson??

It all went wrong!
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 22:46   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Bobby wouldnt want it back.

I cant understand why people complain so much about our World Cup, we made it to the Quarters and lost to by far the best team in the tournament.

I do agree with you on quite a lot of our players showing a lack of passion in the games, this was definately evident against Australia, but i dont feel this has anything to do with Svenn being foreign. England have lacked that passion for a long time before Sven was manager. English football is more concerned with club football than international football, much like with Spain who have the same kind of underachievement as we have.

Sacking Sven wouldnt be of any benefit to us, i cant think of a replacement that would do any better with the same players.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 11:47   #3
Doogle

Doogle can only hope to improve
I think you've hit the nail on the head JC with the point about club football, thats where the money is I suppose, and apart from Beckham, I dont see any other players playing with pride and passion.

With the world cup thing, ok it was good to get to the quarters and losing to Brazil is nothing to be ashamed of, but I think it was the lacklusture manner of the defeat that was of course for concern.

I think club teams have a role to play in being more enthusiastic towards the international team, and I do think a manager with real enthusiasm is need as this would galvanise the team. A Booby Robson/Martin O'niel/Kevin Keegan type character with real tactical understanding is needed, though alas, I see nobody in that mould waiting in the wings.

Oh well, who cares as long as Arsenal win the Premiership, Liverpool win the Uefa Cup, Wolves win the FA Cup, and Man Utd win the Champions League
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 11:49   #4
Dreadnought!

who gives a toss
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 12:01   #5
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Doogle

Oh well, who cares as long as Arsenal win the Premiership, Liverpool win the Uefa Cup, Wolves win the FA Cup, and Man Utd win the Champions League
You want some advise? Drugs r bad m'kay?
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 13:16   #6
-o|DarkJedi|o-

-o|DarkJedi|o- is infamous around these parts
The side that played the first half against aus is very similar to the side that played Germany..

Noteable changes being Neville at RB and possibly one other (did Gerrard play against aus??)...

I'm not sure its a case of bad management, I mean, sven gets the squad a few days before the match, and is expected to make them gel when they've been mostly trying to ruin each others seasons for the last 6 months...

I dont think England will ever be true competitors until we become a true team..... and we wont get anywhere close with our currrent set up...

and yeah, we'd all love to see Bobby back, personally i don't think he should have ever been sacked, but then again, I thought hoddle did a pretty good job too...

There are no other real contenders imo... unless Toshak fancies a crack at the whip, but I think he likes the hot weather too much!

<@JonnyFive> well there you go, dj's ego really is mightier than ships

<@Hevonen> DarkJedi, thank god

[00:02] <Iniluki> self glorfying sigs are ****ing childish
[00:04] <DarkJedi> arrogance is bliss
-o|DarkJedi|o- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 13:52   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by JC

I cant understand why people complain so much about our World Cup, we made it to the Quarters and lost to by far the best team in the tournament.

imo the Dutch side was better then the Argentinians
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 14:30   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
England lost to brazil, silversmoke.

Where did your holland / argentina comment come from?

Admittedly i thought argentina were being THOROUGHLY overhyped pre-japan, and got flamed for saying so. Was good to see them crash and burn.

I think Sven should stay. But its borderline, now that everyone knows he was lined up to be man utd manager, and the poor results recently.

I think JC basically summed it all up.
Anyone who supports club in the club vs country debate can pretty much **** off for all i care

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 15:41   #9
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
im still shocked that france did so badly, how could a team which had a worldclass player in virtually every position crap out??!!?!?!?

as for england, we'll always be over hyped under achievers, once you've accepted this you'll enjoy the games.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 16:16   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
imo the Dutch side was better then the Argentinians
A few points.

1. THE DUTCH WEREN'T AT THE WORLD CUP

2. HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ARGIES

3. YOU REALLY SHOULD REALISE THAT, AS ENGLAND BEAT ARGENTINA

4. THE ONLY TEAM THAT BEAT ENGLAND AT THE WORLD CUP WAS BRAZIL

5. You should work this one out for yourself.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 16:40   #11
Gitchin

Gitchin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Bobby wouldnt want it back.

Bobby would, he got offered the job before Sven, to manage both Newcastle and England but Freddy Shepard shouldnt let him.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 16:49   #12
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
You cant manage a club side and an international side like England, its not possible. Keegan found that out and he was only with Fulham, so Robson definately couldnt do it and stay with Newcastle. I dont see why Robson would give up on NEwcastle to go back to a job he has already tried and been sacked from, he has nothing left to prove with England so i cant see him turning his back on Newcastle.

If i was going to give the job to anyone i'ld give Curbishly a go because i cant think of anyone better right now. Maybe McLaren i guess.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 18:50   #13
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
A few points.

1. THE DUTCH WEREN'T AT THE WORLD CUP

2. HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ARGIES

3. YOU REALLY SHOULD REALISE THAT, AS ENGLAND BEAT ARGENTINA

4. THE ONLY TEAM THAT BEAT ENGLAND AT THE WORLD CUP WAS BRAZIL

5. You should work this one out for yourself.

lol

err that was the worldcup before the last one I had in mind :/

time flies by