User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 19:52   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote of the Day

God is not omnipotent, he's really just abusing semantics

"A hypothetical situation: Walk up to god and ask him to create someone more powerful than himself. I he can than that person is more powerful and therefore god is no longer omnipotent. If he can't, then he has failed"
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 19:53   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
they could both be omnipotent
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 19:55   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Quote of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
God is not impotent, he's really just abusing himself
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 19:57   #4
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
But God IS importanat!
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 21:54   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
This question has been put better as "Can God create a rock so heavy that God himself can't lift it?"

(Homer does a Burrito themed version of it in a Simpsons episode)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 21:56   #6
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

of course he isnt, how else could he have got mary up the duff?
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 22:02   #7
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
God is not omnipotent, he's really just abusing semantics

"A hypothetical situation: Walk up to god and ask him to create someone more powerful than himself. I he can than that person is more powerful and therefore god is no longer omnipotent. If he can't, then he has failed"
You twats really need to study some philosophy.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 22:03   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Nobody, anywhere needs to study any philosophy.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 23:10   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
Nobody, anywhere needs to study any philosophy.
Sense.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 23:16   #10
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Quote of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
of course he isnt, how else could he have got mary up the duff?
winner
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 23:29   #11
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Actually i think we all "lose" :C
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 23:33   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
Surely god is above the physical realms of a body?
What's that got to do with anything? Is he capable of lifting a rock? Obviously being omnipotent, he can.

Can he create a rock? Obviously he can.

Can he create a rock which is "unliftable"? Yes, he's ominopotent.

Can he lift an unliftable rock? Yes...hang on...we've been conned!

The point is that the concept of omnipotence creates a logical paradox.

This isn't my argument, btw, it's (amongst others) Betrand Russell's.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 23:35   #13
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: Re: Quote of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by W
You twats really need to study some philosophy.
You should really start coming out with more coherant responses to things, instead of just dissmissing out of hand anything anyone say's with, quite frankly, retarded insult's.
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 03:37   #14
W
Gubbish

Re: Re: Re: Quote of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
You should really start coming out with more coherant responses to things, instead of just dissmissing out of hand anything anyone say's with, quite frankly, retarded insult's.
Coherence is for the bright (boooooo)

I never dismissed anything, I gave a piece of advice. I said that people like Kura, who finds quotes like that novel, should study some philosophy.

(And I got to call Kura a twat! Tho most people beat me to that one :/)
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 06:01   #15
yodaa800
Open da mouth!

yodaa800 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm pretty sure we went over this exact topic before and someone pasted in a nice quote from some Greek (probably) about how if he (God) was omnipotent he (God) could defy logic (since in theory if God created the universe he also created the laws by which it is bound and would be able to change them as he saw fit) and both create a rock that was so big he couldn't lift it and simultaniously lift it.
Or alter the above to fit your other quote which is equally silly in my opinion.

On the point of philosophy I have a theory that human beings can never truely claim we know anything since we do not know everything, that instead we only believe in things. (ps if someone knows of a philosopher who has done something on this subject or close to it lemme know mkay?)
[22:47:48] <Metrofx> i was asked if i was gay before in pa
[22:47:51] <Metrofx> i answered yes
yodaa800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 07:05   #16
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by yodaa800
I'm pretty sure we went over this exact topic before and someone pasted in a nice quote from some Greek (probably) about how if he (God) was omnipotent he (God) could defy logic (since in theory if God created the universe he also created the laws by which it is bound and would be able to change them as he saw fit) and both create a rock that was so big he couldn't lift it and simultaniously lift it.
Or alter the above to fit your other quote which is equally silly in my opinion.

On the point of philosophy I have a theory that human beings can never truely claim we know anything since we do not know everything, that instead we only believe in things. (ps if someone knows of a philosopher who has done something on this subject or close to it lemme know mkay?)
On the first topic, look up aquinas, on the second, look up pyrrho
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 07:15   #17
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by W
On the first topic, look up aquinas, on the second, look up pyrrho
you are in a helpfulish mood.

get laid?

ps: i read the rest of the thread and saw your talk with belgy. now all is clear.

pps: mathematically, we can create a set U, the 'universal set', which contains all of everything. which is all good, until we take the power set of U, and find that our universal set contained at most ~0% of all possible things. which is a complete paradox.

which is a clear indication that all of math is wrong. boy have you all wasted a lot of time in class.

Last edited by acropolis; 13 Feb 2003 at 07:21.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 07:27   #18
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Does anyone have any interesting paradoxes?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 07:42   #19
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
you are in a helpfulish mood.

get laid?

ps: i read the rest of the thread and saw your talk with belgy. now all is clear.

pps: mathematically, we can create a set U, the 'universal set', which contains all of everything. which is all good, until we take the power set of U, and find that our universal set contained at most ~0% of all possible things. which is a complete paradox.

which is a clear indication that all of math is wrong. boy have you all wasted a lot of time in class.
Actually, if you'd studied some set theory, you'd known "everything" can't be a set, it has to be a class.
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 10:10   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
Mathematics is incomplete, but what we've got is correct given the axioms assigned.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 10:13   #21
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
What's that got to do with anything? Is he capable of lifting a rock? Obviously being omnipotent, he can.

Can he create a rock? Obviously he can.

Can he create a rock which is "unliftable"? Yes, he's ominopotent.

Can he lift an unliftable rock? Yes...hang on...we've been conned!

The point is that the concept of omnipotence creates a logical paradox.

This isn't my argument, btw, it's (amongst others) Betrand Russell's.
The paradox is right. Even Descartes stumbled upon a paradox trying to proove God exists.
"I think, therefore I am"
"I think about a perfect being, and him God"
"Because God is perfect, he MUST exist"
Roughly translated.
On this case, it can be argued whether it is perfect to exist materially or to exist in thoughts.

Now, a priest friend of mine answered me when I asked if God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift.
"God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift. After that, he makes himself stronger, and lifts the rock."
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 10:14   #22
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
I suggest we start this thread all over with a new quote and put the bad feelings behind us!:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

Thankyou!

Matrim
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 10:17   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
Now, a priest friend of mine answered me when I asked if God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift.
"God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift. After that, he makes himself stronger, and lifts the rock."
That's really stupid
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 16:40   #24
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Actually, if you'd studied some set theory, you'd known "everything" can't be a set, it has to be a class.
a) missing the point
b) poor grammar
c) i don't 'approve' of classes. seems to be math via semantics, e.g., simply defining there to be no paradoxes.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 16:57   #25
Rick111

Rick111 is on a distinguished road
listen, at the end of the day

another one begins
Rick111 is offline   Reply With Quote