User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Oct 2005, 10:49   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Clearly, Basically, Literally

I hate these words.

Over the last year or so (or perhaps longer) they seem to have become "trendy" to use.

People keep throwing them into their sentences where they aren't appropriate.

Why?

Because they think long words make them sound intelligent?
Because it fills in sentences and makes them longer?

It really annoys me.

I rang my friend the other night, I was supposed to be meeting him.
"How long do you think you'll be?" I asked.
"Oh, literally 45 minutes Tom" he replied.
"What do you mean? You won't be a second over or a second under?" I retorted sarcastically.
"Eh?"

When I was with the letting agent for the place I'm moving into, I almost tore my ears off. Every other word was "basically" or "literally". "Basically every bedroom has a lock on the door", "There's literally going to be a few more things put into the kitchen", "Basically, he'll furnish this all for you with a double bed and some other stuff".

I know it's a really small thing to be annoyed about, but surely people know what these words mean?

Basically means to make something basic and simple!
Literally means to take something at its literal value - that is exactly how it will be!
Clearly means that something is obvious and there is no ambiguity about it!

GET IT RIGHT BRITAIN, STOP DUMBING DOWN OUR LANGUAGE
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 10:58   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Clearly, Basically, Literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I rang my friend the other night, I was supposed to be meeting him.
"How long do you think you'll be?" I asked.
"Oh, literally 45 minutes Tom" he replied.
"What do you mean? You won't be a second over or a second under?" I retorted sarcastically.
"Eh?"
You're actually wrong there. "Precisely 45 minutes" would be a valid statement to construct your response, but the level of accuracy given in the statement isn't sufficient that you can make the assumption that the measurement he is giving is to the degree of accuracy which you are presuming. Literally 45 minutes means that he will be there in 45 minutes, within the implied accuracy of the statement. It doesn't mean exactly or precisely 45 minutes in the way you're supposing, because nowhere that's based upon empirical measurement, as everything in "everyday life" is, deals with absolute values. This bottle of pepsi contains 1.5l - it doesn't mean 1.5000000000000000000... l, it means 1.5+-(acceptable error), which could be anything up to 0.05l, or even more than that.

Quote:
When I was with the letting agent for the place I'm moving into, I almost tore my ears off. Every other word was "basically" or "literally". "Basically every bedroom has a lock on the door", "There's literally going to be a few more things put into the kitchen", "Basically, he'll furnish this all for you with a double bed and some other stuff".
That would be a redundent use of literally, but you haven't actually touched on the real misuse of the word - when it's referring to something figurative. "The Manchester United players are literally engaging in handbags at five paces" kind of thing. Basically is also perfectly valid to use there if, and only if, there is some exception. For example, if you were talking about a 20 bedroom house, and 19 of the bedrooms had locks.

Quote:
Basically means to make something basic and simple!
No, it means "in a manner which is simple". "Basically, Manchester United players are paid under £100,000 a week." is true, even though there are a couple of exceptions.

Quote:
Literally means to take something at its literal value - that is exactly how it will be! Clearly means that something is obvious and there is no ambiguity about it!
No, it means in a manner that is literal. You're a teacher you say?

Furthermore, literal generally means "without embellishment", or "without exaggeration". Whilst it is true that, say, "the literal meaning of the phrase" means using the exact meanings of the words in general, that has to be taken as subservient to other sources of error or indistinctness.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 26 Oct 2005 at 11:10.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 11:02   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree about the misuse of "literally", although as Jakiri says it's the figurative thing which is the problem. There was a Professor (of something) who was quoted in the Metro a few weeks ago saying "These researchers have literally disrupted a hornets nest with this one" (by publishing an article on foetuses). Where clearly they hadn't.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:18   #4
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

i use clearly all the time. i would link to a number of examples, but the search engine doesn't accept searches for 'clearly'.

anyway, when i use it i clearly and basically (but not literally) mean "it would be obvious to a retarded four-year-old that".

it's unclear to me how my sentences would be any shorter were to i replace 'clearly' with what i meant. i also don't get how you think anyone is trying to look intelligent by using 'clearly' or 'basically.'

i would agree that a lot of people who use 'literally' are just trying to make their sentences longer an look intelligent while using it improperly, but as above, not for the reasons you state.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 12:39   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, there are lots of examples of people trying to look more intelligent, or what have you - TV presenters not understanding that the verb "to be" takes the nominative case for its object, (hence, "It's they" is correct, not "it's them") and only the verb "to be" - not gathering that the rest take the accusative.

"Tomorrow you can see Josie and I" NO NO NO NO NO YOU ****TARD
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:16   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I (ab)use literally a fair bit when I'm talking these days. I think I picked it up over in the states off acro and his millions of minions in support of poor sentence formulation. I don't really use any of the others that much. Incidentally my father brought the over-use of basically up the other day whilst complaining about how basically everyone in politics or business speaks these days.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:19   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I use basically a lot, because I mean basically.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:20   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I use basically a lot, because I mean basically.
So you wouldn't be adverse to saying that you basically clearly literally use basically a lot?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:22   #9
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

My lectures use basically when they realise their last sentence made no sense. So they try to make for it by summarising the whole topic in a few words, then swiftly move onto the next topic.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:23   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

Arsene Wenger uses basically a fair bit except he pronounces it bicycly.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:24   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
So you wouldn't be adverse to saying that you basically clearly literally use basically a lot?
Clearly I use basically literally.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:27   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Clearly I use basically literally.
I'd agree basically, but not literally.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:33   #13
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

This thread's got figurative aids.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:37   #14
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You're a teacher you say?
I like the way that whenever I make a mistake on here in any small way, my credentials as a teacher get questioned. Teachers don't know everything and anything, surprisingly enough.

Also, don't be pedantic. You got the gist of my post - that people are overusing these words just as sentence-fillers. My examples weren't very good, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:39   #15
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quote:
averse
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:40   #16
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Also, don't be pedantic.
I think you have a better chance running a marathon on the surface of Lake Michigan.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:42   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
averse
Humblest apologies.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 13:55   #18
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quote:
Humblest apologies.
Your sins are forgiven, my son.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:34   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That would be a redundent use of literally, but you haven't actually touched on the real misuse of the word - when it's referring to something figurative. "The Manchester United players are literally engaging in handbags at five paces" kind of thing. Basically is also perfectly valid to use there if, and only if, there is some exception. For example, if you were talking about a 20 bedroom house, and 19 of the bedrooms had locks.
I think Motson once said "Bellamy is literally on fire" and everyone crossed their fingers and wished it were true...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:41   #20
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree that "literally" is overused (I believe the Private Eye publication 'Colemanballs' now has a section on misuses of the word "literally"), I'm not sure about the other two. I would admit to overusing the word "basically" but it's out of habit rather than because it's trendy or such, and I don't think "clearly" is any more 'trendy' than it was several years ago when everyone on the interweb abused it to the max.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 14:53   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

my objection to the words used in the OP is basically that they are sometimes used so excessively, that they make the speaker sound like an idiot, perhaps because it associates them with people who are known idiots who use these words far more than they really need to. In many senses it is like the use of the word 'like' in sentences such as "he was really like, cool" and so on.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 15:47   #22
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I like the way that whenever I make a mistake on here in any small way, my credentials as a teacher get questioned. Teachers don't know everything and anything, surprisingly enough.

I get that, but not just here, but in real life. Then people say something like 'god help the future f tomorrow' or something like it.

Basically it pisses me off!
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:11   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I like the way that whenever I make a mistake on here in any small way, my credentials as a teacher get questioned.
I like it too, its pretty funny.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:37   #24
Tomkat

Laughing at others expense isn't big and isn't clever!
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:32   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I like the way that whenever I make a mistake on here in any small way, my credentials as a teacher get questioned.
I know, I find it amusing.

Quote:
Teachers don't know everything and anything, surprisingly enough.
I know that too, both my parents are/were teachers.

Quote:
Also, don't be pedantic. You got the gist of my post - that people are overusing these words just as sentence-fillers. My examples weren't very good, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.
I was debating that, but then you made your main thrust, your closing statement, one based on a pedantic definition of words.

If you don't want to have someone be pedantic at you, don't be pedantic and wrong.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:41   #26
Tomkat

I'm internet gritting my teeth good and proper right now I'll have you know!
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:49   #27
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I hate when people say 'to tell you the truth,' or 'honestly,' etc..

What, everything up until you said that was a lie?

Okay, well then since you were, by your own admission, telling lies, I will now suspend doubt.

Last edited by s|k; 26 Oct 2005 at 18:35.
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:52   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'm internet gritting my teeth good and proper right now I'll have you know!
Major, right now you've got me about as confused as I ever hope to be.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 17:56   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If you don't want to have someone be pedantic at you, don't be pedantic and wrong.
Everyone who joins the internet should be given a little card with this written on it.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:33   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i don't like the use of "random", to denote an "alternative", cool spin on something, or just being really crazy and original..... while all wearing converse trainers
Use the word omaha. Very few people will understand and you can be content in the knowledge that you're part of a highly successful in-joke.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:36   #31
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i don't like the use of "random", to denote an "alternative", cool spin on something, or just being really crazy and original..... while all wearing converse trainers
i agree with that. i don't think it's wrong in the same way as saying "man i had to park like literally ten miles away",

but it's still annoying.

HEY LET'S BE RANDOM!

(fart)
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:38   #32
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Use the word omaha. Very few people will understand and you can be content in the knowledge that you're part of a highly successful in-joke.
Yes but those that do will try to burn you and jam pointy sticks through your brain. I strongly advise against it.

It is better to use 'cha-woogie' in most cases anyway, with or without the added 'daahh'*.

* given the time of day
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 19:40   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

When you say let's be random you better be about to do something like take your clothes off, cover yourself in custard and go live with a swarm of killer bees until you've educated them in the ways of the mastery of the zen spirit and not just be about to announce something crraaazzzy like going to the second most faggoty nightclub in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
Yes but those that do will try to burn you and jam pointy sticks through your brain. I strongly advise against it.
Why would they do that?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 21:19   #34
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Grammer thread \o/.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 21:39   #35
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Grammer thread \o/.
Is use of '\o/' common during a deposition or a judicial inquiry? A bad habit you picked up here?

Also, great words to use in closing arguments:

n00b
pwn

'As I have clearly demonstrated, the defendant is a n00b and I have pwned their case because of how utterly 1337 I am. I rest my case.'
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 22:08   #36
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Grammer thread \o/.

you've spealt grammur wrong!
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 22:26   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
This made me lose the game
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 22:47   #38
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What about people who don't know the difference between their and there? Scandalous!
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 04:18   #39
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Well at least that's all you guys have to deal with.

Me, I have to deal with "like for reals!! dogg!"

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 15:39   #40
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of a few more irratating words such as "Actually"; and starting sentences with the word "Well...."; and of course my pet hate people saying "I personally..."; well it is n`t going to be YOU personally somebody else is it now!

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 16:31   #41
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

clearly the most annoying words currently being over used are hero and celebrity, basically they have become literally meaningless.
Unread 31 Oct 2005, 03:44   #42
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

I must say, basically, that this thread has clearly fallen into an interminable circle of overly redundant examples of horribly insipid words. Literally speaking, the cat is out of the bag.

Drowning cats is bad!

-edit "otherwise"

An equally misused word. Thankfully, I was not quoted before the correction.

Last edited by Malice; 31 Oct 2005 at 03:52.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote