User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:33   #51
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Strategy Games?

Definitely Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, still play them occasionally.

Other then that Risk 2 and AoE 2 are ace games aswell!
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:57   #52
MasterAir

MasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Myself and four other friends played risk for a while last year as our daily thing to avoid going to college. I found it got fantastically dull very quickly. It was very much a question of waiting for someone else to make a mistake, which once we all understood the game was a question of who got bored first.
Then Chess is also a poor game unless you get very, very, very good at it. Whilst I agree that a game that always results in people losing rather than winning is not very good I think that the strategy of the game is surely to try and force someone elses mistake, rather than just waiting for it.

I think Go is the best strategy game, its practically the perfect game.

As far as computer games go Civ in all its incarnations is superb and I quite like Galactic Civilizatinons when I play it.

What do people think about collectable card games being included as strategy games? i am a huge fan of V:TES (Jyhad)
MasterAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:58   #53
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
I think civ4 is brilliant, although i've never played the earlier versions so maybe thats why?:/

Dawn of War, ra2 & rise of nations are the best RTS games i've played. I'll never forget seeing an ickle wolfy in ra2 running through the snow and mangling his first soldier.

Ahhh, happy days

This is slightly off topic but has anyone here tried the Commander role in BF2? Ok its not exactly RTS but there are definately shades of RTS tactics in infantry maps like karkland
Does anyone here every play Dawn of War online? I find it difficult to get games of it.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:05   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAir
Then Chess is also a poor game unless you get very, very, very good at it. Whilst I agree that a game that always results in people losing rather than winning is not very good I think that the strategy of the game is surely to try and force someone elses mistake, rather than just waiting for it.
No, chess is a lot more exciting due to the potential range of errors you can force your opponent into. Risk is more "basic".
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:09   #55
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Chess is so versatile it's unbelievable. Beautiful game, I would like to spend more time doing it but ehm...world of warcraft, gym and girlfriend..
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:22   #56
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Comparing Chess to Risk is slightly misleading since most of the fun in Risk is in diplomacy / politics. Kind of like PA.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:41   #57
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No real deals ever got made in our games. Everyone just sort of looked at the board and was like "yeah this benefits you more than me, no ****ing way am I making that deal". One of my friends who plays risk online a fair bit got really frustrated by it all and I made the point that maybe our superhuman brains prevented any of us from being tricked and we thought about that for a few seconds then had a good laugh and went off to the pub and killed some more braincells.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:42   #58
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Quite correct. The obvious exception to that though, is Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis and Victoria, though. I really, really recommend those games to anyone who is a true strategy fan. If you liked Rise of Nations etc, and if you liked civilization, I'd guess you'll love these games. Especially if you're more than average interested in History.
Yeah, the Paradox series are definately my favourite strategy games. My favourite games of any type, as a matter of fact. I didn't like the HoI demo so I never bought it but Victoria and EU2 are probably my first and third favourite games respectively (Civilization II being second). In fact, I'm going to play Victoria right now; I just incorporated Mexico into the Confederate States of America in my latest game.

I wouldn't recommend Victoria to anyone who doesn't like micromanagement though as its simulation of the Victorian economy is extremely detailed. EU II is a bit simpler and focusses on warfare a little more, which is probably why it's more popular (though still criminally underappreciated).
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 19:31   #59
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Chess is fun if I'm winning, but it sucks if I'm losing.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 21:46   #60
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Chess is fun if I'm winning, but it sucks if I'm losing.

Losing in chess is only 'fun' or bearable if you understand why you are losing, if you can recognize your errors, if you're just getting blasted off the board it's no fun indeed.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 21:57   #61
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thats yet another reason why go is superior... you can get an even game with someone as long as they arent VASTLY superior to you (9 ranks). It really stops the shitness of losing terribly to someone better than you.

I've just realised i hadnt posted about go yet in this thread... oh well
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 23:31   #62
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who have EU2, I suggest using the AGCEEP mod. It certainly makes the game even better.
The 100-year war is now much better modelled and complex, among other things.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 00:06   #63
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
Does anyone here every play Dawn of War online? I find it difficult to get games of it.
yes, and i dont find it a big problem

except for trying to get a 4v4

we do house 3v3s a lot.

thats assuming you mean winter assault, no-one plays the original online now.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 00:26   #64
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ascendancy or the Civilization series for turn based strategy, Total Annihilation for real time (Though Dawn of War deserves a mention) strategy and the Total War series for a mix between the two. I'm counting down the days until Supreme Commander at the moment, really hope it plays as good as it sounds.

Definitely going to check Rise of Nations out now, Mrl posted in the Civ4 thread that it's available for £14 with the expansion.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 01:24   #65
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Spose i'll just have to get the expansion then.
(Excuses for buying games #13)
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 01:44   #66
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Ascendancy
Thank god someone finally mentioned it.
For absolute longevity, in addition to some of the ones above, I'd say Ascendancy.
I've been playing it since it came out in 1996, and it's STILL playable.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote