User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Apr 2006, 12:43   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
[Maths]Final Year Project

Right, so I'm doing my final year project. I've managed to get out around 12 pages so far, and I wondered if anyone had any time in the next few days to give it a quick proof read and/or add suggestions?
(yes, 12 pages is shit I hear you say. However, we've got a 20-25 page target and most of the papers I'm reading / referencing are between 4 and 10 pages).

It's on Daisyworld - I think I mentioned it before. I understand it slighty better now

Daisyworld is a dynamical system used to see the effect of daisies on cooling a planet that is experiencing increased solar luminocity vs the planet warming without them.

basically:
planet with nothing on it. Sun shining on it warms up, planet warms up.

planet with daisy seeds on it. Sun shining on it warms up, planet kept at same temperature (optimal temperatures for growing daisies) for a while due to daisy effect.

Unfortunately pretty graphs are pretty non existant atm. If anyone has any clue about how I'm meant to plot them (I seem to have to make a graph from about 4 with differnet parts of them dotted and not dotted) then that'd be cool!

It's avaliable in .ps and .pdf - .pdf has less pictures than .ps
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 12:46   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Maths]Final Year Project

Pansy.

No wait I meant daisy. My bad.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 12:48   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

That's an impressively quick bad joke. It broke all my expectations
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 13:39   #4
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I remember reading something about daisy world be used to prove gaia theory. It actually sounded quite convincing in that it supported Darwin's evolution rather than opposing it (which was one of the major aspects of opposition to gaia)

/tangent.

Sorry mate can't help you with this one.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 13:46   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Actually, it's anti evolution - most applications of evolution to the model seem to destabilise it.
Gaia theory, championed by Lovelock et al, puts forward the idea that the planet is a living and self regulating thing in it's own right.

For example, say scientists went to a planet similar to Earth.
The temperature was almost constantly 22 degrees, and the two biota (daisies) on it grew best at this temperature.
They'd say "look, the daisies have adapted to grow best at the average temperature".

However, from the daisyworld model, the daisies did NOT evolve - their optimum temperature was 22.5 degrees, and they stabilised the planet as light intensity increased to keep it around their optimum growth temperature via feedback loops.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 13:52   #6
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

a project like this would be cooler with guppys. (btw yesterday i almost got my 3rd babygup, but the other fishes noticed him at the same time as i did. it got eaten. )
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote