User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Jan 2004, 20:56   #1
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road
Speedround Thread Again

Well,

that was one disappointing meeting. And i'm 100% sure it wasn't JC' that made it disapointing.
Those allaince reps who only want to do it their way, get the **** out. We know PAX sucks, we know you hate the game and we know you still put every minute you got into this game so WTF are you doing here.

It was supposed to be a SPEEDROUND meeting. And people start asking about a round next to speedrounds and stuff. Also one thing was made clear. It could only be PAX with some adjustments. So stop bitching about old code!

So what do we got left for those who wanne play?

Stats: Pax, with adjustments
Random or Private?: I don't care, majority says private
Tickspeed: 1 Minute like always
Payments: Jolt's call
Endurance: 24/7 from 12:00AM till 12:00 <-- something like that.
People per gal: 10 is good
Alliance speedround: No way, k?

So what kinda adjustments need PAX?
Cov Ops is bollox in speedround get them out. I like them in normal PAX but it's no speedround thing.
Roid limit is bollox in speedround as well
Travel time, make it 1 less to defend imho but could stay the same
1 Tick attacking? Don't mind that, although 3 is more bashing.
Alliance stuff? Get it out, it will make BG's, alliance's block in a speedround, since it's to much benefits.

Now, for all those suckers who whine about r9.5, get your own thread. For all the suckers that don't want to play a speedround and bitching about R11, get your own thread. R6B wants a speedround, we are asking it to PA team since September and it would be nice if we saw some progress.

Thunder
Rep of R6B a pure speedround group of friends
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:03   #2
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
Re: Speedround Thread Again

amen....

ow and btw make it 1 round in 1 weekend for sure....

i don't know how many weekends you people wanna spend behind a comp staring at the monitor all the time with 1 minute ticks... but i can only do that 1 day(weekend)( + thunder has a kewl pooltable ofc )

but seriously the covert opping should be removed for a speedgame.... else way too many people would only covert op (myself included prolly) and that just aint the reason why people should play speedgames...
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:19   #3
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point

From the beta, 2 minute ticks were a lot more playable than 1 minute imho, now that we have more mucking about with separate fleet and mission pages, but apart from that this sounds good to me.

If you have to restrict the changes to pure stat tweaks, the above changes could be implemented by moving the roid limit from 6000 to 6 million and putting the cost of covert ops up to 1 million per agent.

Fixing the bugs in structure/factory targetting would also be nice, that part of the game is totally b0rked atm!
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:24   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

First of all apologies for the way it all turned out. I was kind of thrown in at the deep end when Aryn couldnt run the meeting and so tried to do my best to get everyones views on things. Unfortunately it seems some people dont know when to let others talk.

As was said in the meeting, the only stats we can do are PAX, but we can indeed adjust them slightly. I'm no coder so i couldnt tell you what can or cant be done for certain, but if i'm given a least of things people want changing i will ask Mit and Karm to do their best to sort it out.

I'm in a few channels where this is being debated. Some people are suggesting gals of about 10 people with 7 private players and 3 random, how does that sound?

Yeh that seems to be what it will end up as .

As Karm said the first speedround has to be £5 for 1 planet, £10 for 3 and £20 for 10. Any rounds after that might be cheaper.

This is open for dicussion. I would assume the two options are 24 hours straight or 2 sessions both 10-12 hours long.

It definately wont be anymore than 10 because that would make the universe too small.

Quote:
Cov Ops is bollox in speedround get them out. I like them in normal PAX but it's no speedround thing.
Alliance stuff? Get it out, it will make BG's, alliance's block in a speedround, since it's to much benefits.
Cov ops doesnt seem to be liked for a speedround. I will talk to Mit and see if its possibly to remove it. Travel time should be possible to change, as should the length of time you can attack/defend for.

Thats a bit of a rushed reply because i'm wanted everywhere tonight, i will keep my eye on this thread though and reply to all relevant points.
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:28   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphie
amen....

ow and btw make it 1 round in 1 weekend for sure....

i don't know how many weekends you people wanna spend behind a comp staring at the monitor all the time with 1 minute ticks... but i can only do that 1 day(weekend)( + thunder has a kewl pooltable ofc )
We are hopefully planning on running 2 speedgames, on 2 separate weekends. They would be completely separate so if you cant play both it wouldnt matter.

The general idea is the more money we can generate from speedgames the more chance of r11 being free, and any other speedrounds being cheaper.
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:52   #6
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Thunderball
Well,

that was one disappointing meeting. And i'm 100% sure it wasn't JC' that made it disapointing.
Those allaince reps who only want to do it their way, get the **** out. We know PAX sucks, we know you hate the game and we know you still put every minute you got into this game so WTF are you doing here.

It was supposed to be a SPEEDROUND meeting. And people start asking about a round next to speedrounds and stuff. Also one thing was made clear. It could only be PAX with some adjustments. So stop bitching about old code!

So what do we got left for those who wanne play?

Alliance speedround: No way, k?

Now, for all those suckers who whine about r9.5, get your own thread. For all the suckers that don't want to play a speedround and bitching about R11, get your own thread. R6B wants a speedround, we are asking it to PA team since September and it would be nice if we saw some progress.

Thunder
Rep of R6B a pure speedround group of friends

Marry me live happily ever after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I'm in a few channels where this is being debated. Some people are suggesting gals of about 10 people with 7 private players and 3 random, how does that sound?

Probably the most heated topic, a mix sounds great.
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:57   #7
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

On a sidenote. That's something I mailed to spinner back in R7. Let people pay for a speedround. It's something different, a tourney and paying for a bonus isn't bad. If planetarion is free, you get a lot of players playing speedround, so it will bring nice money Bah, i've send him shitload of idea's

But back to speedround main discussion. It's either full random or full private, you don't want spies or you want only spies. If it's random people know it's based on luck if you can do well(based which galmembers you get) if it's private people got freedom of choise where they are. But mixed is worsed ever!

Why 24/7? Because I want to have aussies and USA people in as well If it's 24 hours straight we have to be awake as much during night time as they have to. They might have to start early in the morning or late in the evening, but the general idea is to make it fair for all over the world.

Plus stress is fun in a game, those rest periods are killing!

Also I want to stress again to leave allaince function out. It's good imho in normal round, but we are not debating normal round. If I got a group of 20 people wanting to play speedround. And we help another group of 20 people. It's smart to have one allaince... Well, we can go up to 150 people. So we get 2 big blocks. Which is very bad ofcourse. Another possibility is to limit the number of people in an allaince to 30(sounds a real good number). 150 will spoil a speedround, trust me on that!
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 21:58   #8
Strifeh

Strifeh is an unknown quantity at this point

I think totally random would be a better option, both for creating a challenge for the older players, and for creating a better atmosphere (and a more exciting one) for any new blood that we can target via Karms PR initiatives.
Strifeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 22:06   #9
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
We are hopefully planning on running 2 speedgames, on 2 separate weekends. They would be completely separate so if you cant play both it wouldnt matter.

The general idea is the more money we can generate from speedgames the more chance of r11 being free, and any other speedrounds being cheaper.
ah well if you do it that way it should be fun and fair.... why not do it same way as last 2 speedgames...make 1 private first and then a random one?

i liked that...
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 22:13   #10
Strifeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphie
ah well if you do it that way it should be fun and fair.... why not do it same way as last 2 speedgames...make 1 private first and then a random one?

i liked that...
This could be a good idea but with the current playerbase I don't think there would be enough to fill both of these games, which although may be a good thing for those playing it might become a little bit more expensive, and then if not enough revenue is gained on these we will have the big problem of payment for rnd 11, which will lead to more speedgames to keep people interested....[/vicious circle]

I think maybe thats definately an idea to keep for future use, but I don't think it's very practicle right now.
Then again i don't know exactly how many people will be playing :-)
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 22:16   #11
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

The more i think about gal-setup, the more i lean towards private only...

I have always been very pro-random, both in normal rounds and speedrounds. The problem is ofc the playerbase we got now..there wont be enough people if it is random..but maybe if we do 2 private ones now, then after or during a normal PA-round there would be enough new people to have a fun random speed-round.
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 22:21   #12
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Well, keep 1,5 month between it. And do a 2 credits for x amount. You should have the option to spend both credits in the same round(give it to a friend) or use it in the next speedround(which will be already planned). Last time both rounds had about 250/300 players which was enough to make it interesting.

Pax with the right adjustments will attract people to play.
If you remove some obvious things and change some other, it will be almost old style, which all people want, but with the taste of PAX.

If I remember correct last private round had about 310 and random had about 260/70 not that much of a difference. Both where enjoyable
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 22:50   #13
Dionysos

Dionysos is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been waiting for the speedround for ages now ;-)

So let's get it up and running, private would be most fun I think... I'm just here for the speedrounds, normal PA isn't interesting anymore imo...
Think combination between PAX and old style would indeed be most fun, but if that means we keep discussing it for another 3 months... just make a decission :-)
Dionysos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 01:10   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i;'d like the option to say have NoS vs eclipse speed rounds and things like that at some point as well. there is no reaosn why there can;t be loads of speed rounds of different types scheduled

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 07:55   #15
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
i;'d like the option to say have NoS vs eclipse speed rounds and things like that at some point as well. there is no reaosn why there can;t be loads of speed rounds of different types scheduled
Don't you got LH or ******** for that? Planetarion was always 1 mean chaotic speedround. I rather have 1 good speedround with loads of dedication, then 10 speedrounds with less players and people quitting after they've been bashed cause they can play next week again.
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 10:31   #16
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabult
Probably the most heated topic, a mix sounds great.
as long as we don't step back to ******** style(most of you know what game i'm thinking about), cause then we'd loose the little players thats for the moment sticking with planetarion. Nothing wrong with mixed gals tho, but it's like 1,5 step towards private and it might aswell be private then.

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 10:44   #17
cypher
U've been Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Thunderball
Don't you got LH or ******** for that? Planetarion was always 1 mean chaotic speedround. I rather have 1 good speedround with loads of dedication, then 10 speedrounds with less players and people quitting after they've been bashed cause they can play next week again.
i fully agree.. a speedround every 3 months orso would be nice tho....

planned in advance...
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 11:35   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

if pa weere to be free though it would need quite a few different speed rounds to finance it. i personally wouldn;t play a standard one, but might play a special NoS vs alliance X round, bare in mind that theese would be much smaller, and possibly even shorter than a normal speed round, maybe evene have longer ticks. there are lots of different possibilities. From a planetarion point of view they want us using pa for all our gaming needs for this style of game, they don;t want us ot go off and play LH etc

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 18:53   #19
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

ships/ships tactic for defence is way too powerful in my opinion.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 21:03   #20
Strifeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
There was talk of a 'hiring server' option which enabled alliances to 'hire' a server with specific stats that they wished, so yes indeed using this method it would be possible to do small alliance vs alliance speed rounds, which in my opinion seems like a very good idea :-)

Understand though that at this stage I believe it is just discussion, nothing has been set in stone :-) I'm sure Karm will update us on it soon though

Strifeh
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 22:45   #21
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

IDD The hc of the top 10 alliances did meet on this subject, and other ideas were also put forward.

Alliance v Alliance in my opinion would generate interest, and that is what is lacking ni pa atm.

Other ideas were also put forward, for diff speed rounds, and these are also being looked into.

I firmly believe that a series of speedrounds that are p2p would be enough to get pa going again, as a free normal pa would keep ppl playing.

At the moment a lot are playing ********, but it sucks, and ppl would come rushing back with a promise of decent servers

I believe at the moment, pa-team are waiting for a quote from jolt that will be an exact number of players at a set price, and as soon as thta can be released, the community here can easily find enough players between us and our freinds, to ensure a free round of pa11.

Onoe other point, if we get to a position where we can hire servers for 'private use' I will accept all challenges from all alliances, and will fight as many as u feel like ganging up one me with, v me a few friends.
So, if Legion have the balls to pull some guys together to go at it, bring it on.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 08:04   #22
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Well,

without any doubts I can say R6B promoted speedround in every way we could. 3 Different R6B members openend a total of 4 threads over the last 5 month period to remember PA Team to create a decent speedround for us. R6B is a pure speedround BG (Forget the (Dave's thingie) R6B allaince, that was something different). Also during the christmass holidays we felt like spamming #planetarion on a daily base, about when speedround could be announced.

Because all of this shit I feel the right to challange Eclipse as first bg/alliance to compete in an allaince vs allaince speedround. That is ofcource when such a speedround will be organised
So Forest, I kinda hope you like it. Also I want to stress although R6B isn't a normal planetarion allaince, I would like to take part in DECENT(without Jurgen, RealJames or any twat only thinking about how good R9 was(which we won't get back for the moment), or how R11 is gonna look) discussion with any other speedfreak that is wishing to debate about a couple of adjustments that could be introduced into a PAX speedround.

I'm done graduating tomorrow, then I got enough time to organise that kinda shit. I was thinking of a meeting held by Forest(Who seems to be very keen on getting a speedround)and Myself (We meet on IRC Forest).

Those allainces/bg/people/groups who are interested should leave me a board PM, so I know you are interested. I will try to get a PA Team member involved who might be able to tell more about what is possible to tweak, and what's not.

I think this all will contribute to get a decent speedround up and running. If a PA Team member feels something for this, I would be happy to receive your notice. Also i'm not intending to do stuff without PA Team knowledge, but I want to have a decent meeting with other speedfreaks with or without PA Team. The end result should be a recommendation to the PA Team(and jolt?) about changes, configuration and set-up.

So, let's finally do something to help PA team, stop bitching and get a speedround running!
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 09:58   #23
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

For anyone interested in a possible alternative format for a speedgame as opposed to running it over a weekend head across to Planetarion Suggestions and this thread
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 10:00   #24
cypher
U've been Moderated

hmmmmmmmmmmmm bashing old style with forest hehe could be fun:P

just dunno if i wanna bash him or with him
both are quite enjoyable... this hiring servers is quite a nice idea imo...maybe it's possible to do this whenever alliances want too... and see how much money this will bring in... maybe pa even could become free then.... which could get a larger playerbase again for the real game......
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 10:41   #25
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

round 2 was great
I am Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 13:59   #26
Fredtje

Fredtje is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm, I like the idea of bashing Yeh/Quha even better Thunder. Can we bash them the weekend after we have had loads of fun with Forest?

The idea about deleting the rest periods is ok, those aussies and usa peeps should have the same chance as Europeans. Thunder your mum will make some nice meals at 2:00 am then?
I would like to see attack and defence will be possible for more then 1 tick and is it possible to delete the fleetorders? ship/ship defence is idd way too powerful. There is no question about deleting the cov-ops they suck in speedrounds.

Thunder I would like to have the same place as last time but this time i will take my own chair with me, my back is still f*cked up due to that weekend ;-)
Fredtje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 07:10   #27
Rudmer
Former Eclipse HC

Rudmer is an unknown quantity at this point

back from the bush again...
seems I missed an irritating meeting, so not too bad I went to Australian Zoo ;-)

on all but 1 point I agree with Thunder:
I'd like 100% private galaxies for sure. no hassling around with ppl not showing up etc (Thx for the mess last time Oreo...)

just get it going, we'll be present to play full force..

btw,
back in a week on irc again

r4 n00b r5 still a n00b (APC-Silver)
r6 PINK[BULL] (Silver-Elysium)
r7 BLACK[BULL] (Elysium)
r8 [Adelante] -> [Fury]
r9 [Eclipse] Officer
Speedgames --> |R6B| says enough...
r9.5 and r10 [Eclipse] HC
r10.5 [MISTU]
Rudmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 09:11   #28
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

BTW has anyone a full log? I miss about 10 minutes because that hitler-bot kicked me for nickchanging twice in one minute
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 10:11   #29
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

yup
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 11:03   #30
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

tnx
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote