User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Sep 2003, 11:32   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Receipe for easy res in 3 steps

1. check the universe ranking for planets with loads of roids
2. go to the Covert Ops page when the tick is nearing and keep refreshing the page until it ticks
3. enter the coords you picked in step 1 and press enter (10 agents or more depending on your taste)

It's done !
(note it is better to do that with a stealth status Decent or above, coz if you fail and get caught... ouch, big boys don't like when you try to steal their bananas)
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 12:31   #2
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road
Re: Receipe for easy res in 3 steps

Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
2. go to the Covert Ops page when the tick is nearing and keep refreshing the page until it ticks
3. enter the coords you picked in step 1 and press enter (10 agents or more depending on your taste)

It's done !
(note it is better to do that with a stealth status Decent or above, coz if you fail and get caught... ouch, big boys don't like when you try to steal their bananas)
Wont they notice who you are even if you succeed ??
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 12:55   #3
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
If they don't catch your agents, they can never find out.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 13:05   #4
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
If they don't catch your agents, they can never find out.
Okies thnx
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 13:26   #5
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Re: Receipe for easy res in 3 steps

Quote:

It's done !

Doesnt he have to be bigger in value than yourself aswell for it to properly work..?
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 14:24   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, to make profit when stealing resources the target has to be bigger then you.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 14:57   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
I see I miss a lot for not playing this round!
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 17:58   #8
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Imagine the fun that was had in the beta (1 min ticks), by some people*, trying to do this to the top players.

It was immense.

* Right JBG?
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 19:47   #9
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
And when the ticker stopped for a day with me at the top my news page too a looooooong time to load!
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 07:53   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_r
And when the ticker stopped for a day with me at the top my news page too a looooooong time to load!
You would have found me in there somewhere too .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 12:50   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
may I add one thing:
Do NOT choose planets whose rank dropped that tick. It means that they spent their resources that tick.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:23   #12
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
may I add one thing:
Do NOT choose planets whose rank dropped that tick. It means that they spent their resources that tick.
id it didnt drop, then they are active and online....

they could just aswell be inactive and still loose a spot...anyway, you should ofc scan first!!
Sun Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 03:53   #13
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
may I add one thing:

Or they got bashed, that happens aswell actually :P
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 11:10   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Pin
id it didnt drop, then they are active and online....

they could just aswell be inactive and still loose a spot...anyway, you should ofc scan first!!

Anyway, what's the least amount of resources you should look for?
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 22:52   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

Anyway, what's the least amount of resources you should look for?
tbh i just do it by luck - i find someone with a much greater networth than me, and i send 10 to 20 agents at him/her. If it works, i get alot of cash (ie 50k+ of each type, and the most i've had is 108k of each ), and if it doesnt work then its not much of a loss (10-20k of each :P).

bah @ scanning
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 02:21   #16
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
tbh i just do it by luck - i find someone with a much greater networth than me, and i send 10 to 20 agents at him/her. If it works, i get alot of cash (ie 50k+ of each type, and the most i've had is 108k of each ), and if it doesnt work then its not much of a loss (10-20k of each :P).
A basic scan just costs 1K of each though. If it avoids 1 bad covert op out of <10-20, then you'd be coming out ahead.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 08:26   #17
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
A basic scan just costs 1K of each though. If it avoids 1 bad covert op out of <10-20, then you'd be coming out ahead.
well, of about 35 covert ops, i've only buggared it once... so its not really worth scanning (plus at the time i didnt have an amp which makes it alot harder )
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 14:06   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
well, of about 35 covert ops, i've only buggared it once... so its not really worth scanning (plus at the time i didnt have an amp which makes it alot harder )
Yeah, it's pretty easy to find people with lots of resources in beta. I'm not sure that'll carry over to real pa though.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 14:36   #19
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Since this is only usefull for lowbies it is clearly a usefull strategy for players that suck or are inactive. For active players with top 100 ambitions it will not work.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:00   #20
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
Since this is only usefull for lowbies it is clearly a usefull strategy for players that suck or are inactive. For active players with top 100 ambitions it will not work.

hAl
Well as a top10 player you can bug a somewhat lower top100 (enemy) player quite nicely by cooping him daily. Ofc you'll loose a bit resources, but it can be worth it Though i agree it's smarter to let some smaller guy in your alliance do that, since he can make a nice profit from it
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:52   #21
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz

hAl
Why spending 10k res to get back 30 k instantly wouldn't work for players with ambition ? a planet ranked 50th can still find 40+ decent target to make extra income.
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 22:38   #22
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Why spending 10k res to get back 30 k instantly wouldn't work for players with ambition ? a planet ranked 50th can still find 40+ decent target to make extra income.
Well, covert ops tend to only work on bigger people (score and networth typically), so the choice of targets in the top 100 is obviously limited. In addition, if all/many of your alliancemates are in the top 100 it further reduces the number of people you can attack. Furthermore, the people in the top 100 tend to be more active, thus less likely to have a large amount of cash lying around, whereas an inactive player would.

overall, its not really worth the bother (which is what i think hAl was hinting at)...
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 08:42   #23
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Well, covert ops tend to only work on bigger people (score and networth typically), so the choice of targets in the top 100 is obviously limited. In addition, if all/many of your alliancemates are in the top 100 it further reduces the number of people you can attack. Furthermore, the people in the top 100 tend to be more active, thus less likely to have a large amount of cash lying around, whereas an inactive player would.

overall, its not really worth the bother (which is what i think hAl was hinting at)...
Don't forget the amount of covert ops being done on top 10 players already. They aren't worth covert opping at all cause they have high allertness all the time and the risks of failing a covert are much bigger on them. Even worse in a full scale game. I think a lot of top 3 players during will get covert opped like 10 times within a minute of a tick cause their alertness drops a step on tick so getting them early in tick is most usefull then.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 09:22   #24
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light
After being no.1 for a day, i can honestly say i hate covert ops. The most annoying thing in the world is logging on, or even just refreshing PA to see someones made off with most of this ticks resources. Surpose i should of made some security centers

Oh and people fail frequently, however without 5 fleets to launch a tick and enough ships to bash everyone you cannot ever get them all back. Believe me i tried

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 22:28   #25
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point
I was guilty of that However, towards the end I really noticed the cov ops power was being pushed down... I had to wait until my skill got up to excellent before I could even consider using it, as good/very good almost always failed!

However, I'd like to thank AndyR for showing you don't have to be massive to win this round... It was an inspired performance, well done!
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 22:37   #26
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithess
However, I'd like to thank AndyR for showing you don't have to be massive to win this round... It was an inspired performance, well done!
damn right , it was very great to see a 250 roids & 400k value planet amongst all those 800/900+ roids & 1.8+mil value planets

very well played AndyR =)