User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 Jun 2008, 21:43   #1
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
The Barbarian invasion & the rise of the Rebels

"THIS IS A CHALLENGE TO ALL THE ALLIANCES, TO THE PA COMMUNITIES, AND TO U NOOBS WHO DON;T HAVE A CLUE WHAT i AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!"

Come on!!!!!!! "come on"!!! something along those words would be a nice name for r28. And it would target n00bies & vets egoes ALIKE!!!! (it is a HUGE challenge!!!)

Why don't we all throw in all the "non-allied" players into a big pool called: The Barbarians!! (a de-jure in-game alliance). Thus, the 'noble houses' (alliances) now will need to fight this threat. At the outset it would be quasi-impossible to do so single-hand, but my guess is that as the round develop this huge pool of players will slowly go down in rank! Slowly 1 or 2 alliances will overcome, and they shall claim the #1 place!

How to make sure the Barbarians do not become just too big to beat on score! We divide them!!! How? we also create the Rebels as a de-facto in-game alliance. (this is exactly what my grandmother would say: he who creates the law also creates the loophole).

Let the Rebels ALWAYS (every round) take a big bite at the barbarians! How? All it would take from a "non-allied" player, a Barbarian, to become a Rebel, is to take an affirmative step to join the Rebels! This can even be part of the new Quests you guys have now. For example, require n00bies to go an join an alliance or at least the Rebels, presto! The alliances would deal with them accordingly!

After this, players may switch to an extrinsic alliance, one of the 'noble' houses already established (or to emerge).

I Know, this is a revolutionary, universe shacking idea! I think this would be a cool idea to explore. And it should not require much coding I suspect. All it would take is a demand from the community!

Now be mean!!!

Last edited by Aedolaws; 16 Jun 2008 at 02:22.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 22:47   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Barbarian invasion & the rise of the Rebels

In rounds past, this might have been possible. But by a rough guide, the top 16 alliances of ~880 planets currently hold 300+million score at tick 218. Given that Sandmans also says that there are 1700+ planets with 428+million score, that means that roughly the top half of the universe holds about 70% of the universe's score.

How are the bottom half meant to compete with that?
Alliances work through organisation. They are held back by infighting. If you prevent alliances from fighting amongst themselves and present a united front to the unallied, ie the disorganised, then the Barbarians wont even make it to the gates, they would just be totally destroyed.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 23:45   #3
Aedolaws

heh, you m8s are the masters, I have been out of the loop for quite some time now. The idea should be feasible in theory. Now, in practice, we woul have to struggle with side effects. You UN know more about numbers. What, would you say, would be the solution to the problem you have presented?
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 23:56   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

More newbs. Or less alliance players.

P.S. It's a bad idea.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2008, 23:57   #5
Aedolaws

Elaborate Mzy.

I think that both, 'More newbs. Or less alliance players' would be actually IDEAL for PA. So pls, elaborate, I am not sure what you meant, well, you said it was a bad idea... so ok, I get it.
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 00:19   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'll go into more detail after my maths exam.
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 00:36   #7
Aedolaws

AND, even if alliances FAIL to raise up to the challenge, we can have this feature as the 'new' thing to beat... at least for a couple of rounds... thus the radical "invasion/rise" language.

I think it would be cool if all the top ally commanders come and discuss this idea. See it as a new, fresh enemy to defeat, move away from the status quo. Now, it would no longer be simple war among 4 or 5 rival factions, but, this 4 or 5 making sure the top 2 'by nature' (barbarians and rebels, n00bs that PA needs to survive) don't get it. Is all about the 1st place right? Why not give it a try?

Besides, it will draw in n00bs. At least, more than the current system!

Last edited by Aedolaws; 16 Jun 2008 at 02:17.
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 09:45   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nothing is more certain to chase away players than badly organised alliances.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 12:12   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

I remember floating an idea like this a few years ago. Essentially, lots of players (or at least, planets) left around Round 5 when PA became Pay to Play. I suggested that the whole universe could fight off what could be called a Borg invasion of just AI controlled bot planets. It was essentially shot down not because that the bot planets were too difficult to code (which they were at that time at least), but because people didnt want to play sim planet against some arbitary enemy - they wanted to bash up those alliances that they have grown to hate or retaliate and know that a human player was on the other side feeling the pain; just like they do when they got attacked.

This is a similar thing, its not going to work because its arbitrary. Further, now moreso than ever its not actually going to work because simply those players who are left only play as part of an alliance, for the most part, and those 'noobs' you keep talking about in a derisive fashion just wouldnt be able to hold their own even if it was 5 to 1.

So, what was the point of this suggestion? To limit people's fun?
Unread 16 Jun 2008, 16:10   #10
Aedolaws

Myz:

If we define alliance as an organized intent to do better as a team then these would technically be something else. These would be just a label. Players should remain there only as long as they don't move on to an established, managed, alliance. This can be explained in the MsG from the commander after sign up.

UN:

This will not be AI planets, they will be mostly n00bs and they won't be an arbitrary enemy. In fact, they won't be an enemy at all, or a friend, as chances are they won't be able to defend or attack as a group with any regularity.

I do not use the word n00b in a derisive manner, I am not sure why you think so.

Now, you do have a point about power dynamics. It might be true alliances usually are driven by what you call "hate." I am not sure.

I do not believe this would limit allied players fun in any way. Alliances will only feel the pressure to trim these huge pools if they want to go up one space in rank, to go above them, once this is accomplished, I doubt these pools will overtake that particular alliance. Chances are that at the start of the round this would be impossible to do, or unwise, just because of the numbers. But mid-round you will start having alliances scores approximating and eventually overtaking these groups. Not by attacking them per se, but by attacking other alliances. Now, at one point or another during the round, an alliance decides to go an trim the top 10 barbarian or rebel planets, for the sake of (a) roids, fleets, XP, (b) move up in rank, (c) in light of the fact they won't retaliate with any big force...