User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 5 Nov 2006, 08:57   #51
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Bring back private galaxies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkelGraf
Ooooohhhhhh qebab, you left me all alone.......

You said you would follow!

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 02:01   #52
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Could give it a go. Not like the trend can be worse than it is atm.

PA loose members every round.. why not try something new for a round, test it. If its shit, doubt more than what would have left anyway will quit. Atleast somethign was tried then

Personally, I would love to setup a great gal with mates, and have to worry about nothing but the 9 others ( or whatever amount) in my galaxy.

( - cluster / other gals ofc )

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 05:58   #53
WhiteSnake
Friday Night Poker \o/

WhiteSnake is infamous around these partsWhiteSnake is infamous around these parts

agree with you Rob

lo btw, long time

Proud to be Xanadu

Non-Retired PA evhul player

@ Omen \o/
WhiteSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 05:59   #54
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Would it potentially kill off alliances as we know them, if most (universal) alliances choose to try out this galaxy system for a round, or that because cluster alliances might be found to be more expedient, it removes the reliance on universal alliances; but also removes the consistence from round to round. Then, the question is, is this a bad thing? what if it leads to more smaller communities of friends who dont fight together? Is this a good thing?

This was just in loose reference to what Wishmaster said; if the main reason people keep playing this game is because of their alliances, then a proposal that knocks the wind out of these alliances might be a bad thing for the playerbase. OTOH, if people are playing for just a couple of people within their alliance, then this might strengthen those bonds (but fracture the community) a bit more.

:\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 07:20   #55
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Sov, I think most alliances would like a round off. A round where the HCs can play peons without alot of pressure to be hc for their community.

This doesnt have to be the long term solution, just somethign tried a round. Then if a success it can be done again in some rounds.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2006, 14:09   #56
Dorwyn

Just an idea:

Why not start a thing like "Cluster wars". A player is only be able to start attacks outside a cluster and a player is only able to defend inside the cluster with the normal -1 ETA (ETA 5 for galaxy).
During the first 72 ticks you can join your ally. After shuffle the whole ally is put in the SAME Cluster. Only two or three Allys may be in one cluster (depends on maximum allysize). The rest of the cluster is filled with random planets.
Buddypack sizes should be left as they are. Galaxy sizes should be something between 10-20.
If someone chooses to get in an ally during the round, this planet will be "exiled" to the cluster the alliance is in. And if someone chooses to leave the ally, the planet is teleportet to a random galaxy. Of cource there must be some reglementations to avoid cheating.
A player is still be able to exile. If the player is in an ally and chooses to exile, the planet is teleportet to another galaxy in the cluster and if the player isn't in an ally the planet will get to a random galaxy in the universe.

I think there could be several great chances for the game: Fake nicking is useless; random player will prolly get more help because the cluster needs everyone to help; Alliance politics could get funny ("do I help the other ally in my cluster or should I decide not helping", "lets get strong together"); Old friends could easily play together either in a buddypack or in the same ally (think about joining a buddypack with your friends and joining an alliance -> same cluster). Also here must be a reglementation to avoid having to many alliances in one cluster (buddypack with 5 alliances for example).
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 14:18   #57
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Time to bump this thread up again.

I like this idea. Wasn't around when it was first discussed.

The problem I see is balancing between galaxies and alliances. Alliances will NAP some of the stronger galaxies. NAPs with private galaxies can make a single alliance awfully strong. One alliance can win the round without the help of other alliances. High ranked alliances should not have too many members. But I say that all the time; I have no idea why they decided not implement such limits this round.

Maybe we should just try and see what happens. This round wasn't much to write home about either. We need a change.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 14:50   #58
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

No problem having private galaxies.
A galaxy could be 3 or 4 planets, should be ok.
A galaxy can join an "interstellar group" with up to 3 other galaxies.
These galaxies would have an eta advantage of -1 or -2 on defense
They could split apart, but only every 200 ticks or so, this would reduce people "jumping ships" to often.

With p2p selfexile should be impossible for private galaxies & randome galaxies could have max 1-2 exiles per round (per member).

If the galaxy is inactive (certain % of them) they will get mixed with other galaxies in the same predicament, and the inactive could be exiled into c200 and stay there until activity increase .

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 18:27   #59
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Good idea is good. The original one, that is.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 22:26   #60
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 22:27   #61
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're making it way too artificial and complex.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 22:29   #62
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I liked the original idea as well, not sure how I missed this thread first time round either.
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 22:51   #63
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

It would make targeting and targeting real targets easier... so that would bring back the battles, I hear u are missing now.

So it certainly gets my vote. I dont like this budypack system at all.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 02:25   #64
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

I want private galaxies back and I want alliances out of the game. Having some people in private galaxies and some in in-game alliances sounds like just another pointless complication added to PA in an attempt to keep everyone happy.

That said, id take this change just for the chance of playing in a private galaxy again if a more refined and purposefully designed game is out of the question.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 09:51   #65
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Why not test this idea for a round and see what happens?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 11:24   #66
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough

This seems like an interesting idea and if it would bring back some more players then sure that has to be a good thing. However PA is hard for an active alliance of 70 members to play for a whole round the activity requirements of 1 hardcore gal surly will make it almost impossible to play without getting some serious burnout at the end of the round?

Also if this were to be used a short round to see if it worked would be wise as if we went all in for 1 round and it really didn't work then the situation of losing even more players and killing PA off could be a real possiblilty.

Has to be said from reading this it does seem like a great idea. Another possibility for testing it would be instead of the beta/speedgame server running a speed game for all eternaty maybe we could test this idea there and see if it works or not.
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 11:34   #67
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I just had an amusing thought...

Now currently you cant attack a planet thats in your own alliance.

How about you cant attack a galaxy with you own alliance member in it.

sits back and waits for the screams to echo out of this thread
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 11:34   #68
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Using a speedround to test a feature (on a design level) is utterly pointless. Same goes for short rounds and private betas.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 13:30   #69
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

A round with out alliances would be amazing.

Galaxy & cluster wars would rule the school. Bring back eta bonuses for clusters and not allow anyone to defend out of galaxy or cluster (hard code it).

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:12   #70
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Using a speedround to test a feature (on a design level) is utterly pointless. Same goes for short rounds and private betas.
Using the speedround/beta to test something might indeed be useless...

... but the speedgame server, otoh...

Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:21   #71
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think some people are getting the wrong idea. This idea wouldn't eliminate alliances, since few alliances require private galaxies to succeed. However, informal alliances and random groupings of friends would be able to put themselves into private galaxies, while alliances would continue to go random.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:48   #72
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Using the speedround/beta to test something might indeed be useless...

... but the speedgame server, otoh...

Do alliances have the same place on the speedgame server as on the normal server? Do people get called at night when they have incs on the speedgame server? Do defence, galaxy attacks, and politics exist at all on the speedgame server?

No. Thus, useless.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 14:57   #73
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I think some people are getting the wrong idea. This idea wouldn't eliminate alliances, since few alliances require private galaxies to succeed. However, informal alliances and random groupings of friends would be able to put themselves into private galaxies, while alliances would continue to go random.
It isn't possible that a chunk of the player base completely leaving the in-game alliance system might render that system marginal or obsolete?
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 15:01   #74
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
It isn't possible that a chunk of the player base completely leaving the in-game alliance system might render that system marginal or obsolete?
Depends on the tag limit.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 15:10   #75
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
Sorry, but too few players for private gals. In fact, anyone who is anyone could take a good guess at what group would win.

I am all for "forcing" people to work with thier gal though. Or "forcing" the cluster to work together. I am for no alliances, cluster defence -1. Out of cluster defence 0. Or something like that.

With no ally there would not be any room to bs around and fake nick. people will get thier asses on irc and work with thier gal/cluster like PA should be.
WHen I first came to this game, people were not so ****ing gay and hiding like little pussies for no reason. Nowadays I see stupid ass people fake nicking. They show up finally in thier real nick, and I still don't know who the **** they are!! You just wasted 1 month hiding and shit, and noone knows who the **** you are!
FIX THIS ****ING GAME.
So you need to know their real nick in order to get to know them? Why don't you just ask for their real names, address and social security or their equivalent then. That's just moronic. The fake nick is just there to keep their alliance links hidden, and nothing else. And what makes you think i would like to get to know you better if you were using your 'real' nick as opposed to your fake one. I am not playing PA to meet drinking buddies so i can go out each weekend. Sure it may happen once in a while, that you get to know someone and befriend him in real life as well, but that is rare. All this paranoia about the fake nicking is just stupid, i am not any more or any less me because i have to use a fake nick, and i think people shutting me out because of it are whacked.

On the subject at hand, sure, i'd love to see a private gal round, but i would not leave alliances out, i'd just force gals to join an allliance completely. Either all planets belong to the same alliance, or they all are allianceless.
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 15:15   #76
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
A round with out alliances would be amazing.

Galaxy & cluster wars would rule the school. Bring back eta bonuses for clusters and not allow anyone to defend out of galaxy or cluster (hard code it).
that combined with the current BP system is something I would be willing to spend time playing!
Unread 1 Oct 2007, 22:50   #77
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Depends on the tag limit.
It would depend on a lot of the factors in the implementation. There is certainly no guarantee that people would choose both options in significant numbers.

I really don't see the advantage in taking an already small and shrinking PA population and splitting it up into two groups, one playing for ally ranks and one playing for galaxy ranks, even if I was sure they would be balanced and both viable.

Last edited by K-W; 1 Oct 2007 at 22:57.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 12:07   #78
Bowlsey
Lover of Cheesecake

Bowlsey is on a distinguished road

Taking on some good ideas and adding my own flavour...

One thing I have hated this round is alliance members being in BP with enemy alliance planets so the gal can try and fence sit most the round...i know planet targeting has been in play a lot but it doesn't stop members trying it.

Here's my idea:

Private gals of 5-10 players. They will only be able to receive defence from in galaxy at ETA5 or from their alliance (no ETA advantage)

Alliances consist of 5-10 galaxies. (note that the entire galaxy is placed in the alliance, not individual planets)

Random players will be put in with private galaxies but only able to recieve defence from their gal. If they choose to join an alliance they get placed in an alliance galaxy.

Anyways, my two shillings worth
=Break=
rd41-44 TGV, rd45-46 FAnG, rd47 HaVeN rd48-49 FAnG
=Break=
Rd55+ Ultores
Bowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 13:42   #79
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Sounds like a great plan, if your goal is to push out all new players.
Unread 2 Oct 2007, 15:29   #80
Bowlsey
Lover of Cheesecake

Bowlsey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds like a great plan, if your goal is to push out all new players.
heh, this is true...

tho if they are new players, they will usually only get defended if at all by their gal...thats where they make their first 'friends' in PA.... But i totally see where your coming from. It would be nice to try and stop all these fence sitting galaxies tho...
=Break=
rd41-44 TGV, rd45-46 FAnG, rd47 HaVeN rd48-49 FAnG
=Break=
Rd55+ Ultores
Bowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 00:09   #81
Aetou
Lurker

Aetou is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure about getting rid of alliances to bring in private galaxies but I'd definitely like a private galaxy. This round has been made quite unfun for me by the fact that I've been unable to get some decent randoms into my galaxy so effectively our galaxy just has a handful of people (as a BPer quit). Why not just make private galaxies smaller than regular ones? Like in R4 (I think). Go for 10 in a private galaxy and 15-20 in a random one (and maybe even allow BPs of 3). Means that going for a private gal isn't a complete no-brainer as if you get 2-3 decent BPs in a galaxy plus some nice randoms it could certainly compete with the smaller galaxies...
Aetou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 00:50   #82
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetou
I'm not sure about getting rid of alliances to bring in private galaxies but I'd definitely like a private galaxy.
That's not the suggestion. The suggestion is that if you want to play in a private galaxy, you're not allowed to join an alliance tag. I like it.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 09:46   #83
Aetou
Lurker

Aetou is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's not the suggestion. The suggestion is that if you want to play in a private galaxy, you're not allowed to join an alliance tag. I like it.
I'm sorry, but from the topic I assumed that the scope of discussion was private galaxies in general rather than just the specific original proposal. I think thats a fair conclusion to reach. Reading through this thread the idea of private galaxies seems rather popular so its now a case of working out a way of implementing that which won't suck. Making it alliance or galaxy will suck because a galaxy can only self-cover 3 waves at most (assuming there are no early recalls) without outside help and any decent alliance should be capable of doing 4-6 waves on a single galaxy. By restricting galaxies from receiving alliance defence you effectively make them very easy to bash and rape. Allowing in-cluster defence may help a little but if you do you'll have just ended up with out of game (cluster) alliances so you may as well allow people in private galaxies to join tags. Some other method of balancing the strength of private galaxies needs to be found other than restricting 'official' alliance membership (especially in light of the current support planet interpretation).
Aetou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 10:04   #84
Foxman

Foxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really nice

if we want to have private gals we should reduce the size of gals, like 5-8 ppl in priv gals, maybe 10-15 in random gals, but im realy unsure if private gals are the way to go, will lead to more blocking, and more stagnation
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 10:07   #85
Foxman

Foxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlsey
Taking on some good ideas and adding my own flavour...

One thing I have hated this round is alliance members being in BP with enemy alliance planets so the gal can try and fence sit most the round...i know planet targeting has been in play a lot but it doesn't stop members trying it.

Here's my idea:

Private gals of 5-10 players. They will only be able to receive defence from in galaxy at ETA5 or from their alliance (no ETA advantage)

Alliances consist of 5-10 galaxies. (note that the entire galaxy is placed in the alliance, not individual planets)

Random players will be put in with private galaxies but only able to recieve defence from their gal. If they choose to join an alliance they get placed in an alliance galaxy.

Anyways, my two shillings worth
i kinda like this idea also, would probably work out
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 11:15   #86
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

I definitely liked private galaxies in the early rounds. I think they should be able to join an alliance as a whole (otherwise some will just be out of tag) but there should be no alliance travel time benefits to private galaxy users.

Alliances (without private galaxies?) get several other benefits that don't count for priv gals, such as "Alliance Status" - and BP up to 3 people for random gals. Add all that to the alliance ETA bonus they get and that the priv gals don't get, and I think you might have a fair balance between galaxies and alliances, and it would make joining random gals more interesting for larger alliances since they rely on their alliance and not just their galaxy for def. Ally cap of 60 players should probably be upheld then, or perhaps even lowered. Cluster def eta bonus should be upheld too, even for private galaxies, but put both private and random gals together in a cluster, and maybe make clusters smaller. (up to 5 galaxies per cluster)

Private galaxies will then be forced to work with their clusters and themselves for def since the only benefit they have from joining an alliance would be maybe attacking. Alliances will have a good counter vs galaxies, and galaxies and clusters could even declare war on alliances (why not?)

I can imagine a bunch of hardcore players take the challenge to win the round solo. But it also means that random galaxies will actually have a real use for their GC, MoD, MoW, and MoC.

Only problem I can really think of is cluster alliances interfering with regular alliances, as in forming huge blockes. Perhaps the cluster def ETA bonus should die if you tag up, for both random and private galaxies. You already have the alliance eta for random gals, and private gals will have their own defensive core, while private galaxies who don't tag can get cluster def.

Might be worth a try.

Private galaxy should be up to around, hmm, I'd say 7 to 10 planets, with random galaxies being around 15.

Just theorising here, using a lot of the ideas already suggested

Last edited by Machado; 18 Jan 2008 at 11:22.
Machado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 11:21   #87
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Replying just to say "There would be an increased chance of me returning if the original idea was implemented"
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 11:26   #88
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

my wholehearted support for this idea has just dropped to half-hearted
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 11:28   #89
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
my wholehearted support for this idea has just dropped to half-hearted
Says the guy that WANTED Alki in his BP
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 11:57   #90
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

wait, that is a ****ing lie take that back right now wintle
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 22:14   #91
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Even I might be arsed to play a round if it was full private galaxies. Doesn't say it's necessarily a good thing (in fact quite the opposite).
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 08:05   #92
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Just as an aside, was there anything suggested that prevented loose confederations of galaxies from agreeing not to attack oneanother and/or co-operating in attacking other galaxies, essentially forming 8 man alliances with ETA 5 def with normal 70 man alliance attack capability?
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 11:54   #93
Mzyxptlk
mz.

No.
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 18:22   #94
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Of course those confederations will appear, that's just normal, how things go. You can't avoid it, and hardcoding it will just result in attempts to go around it. We all know the drill by now don't we.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 18:41   #95
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Would the private and random galaxies be the same size?
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 18:43   #96
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh and you could make it:
  • Free to join a random gal
  • Small-medium fee to join a buddypack (3 players)
  • Normal fee to join a private gal
Unread 19 Jan 2008, 19:09   #97
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Would the private and random galaxies be the same size?
Not necessarily, in my opinion public galaxies should be a little bigger (8/14, or 10/18, something along those lines). It's a minor point really.
Unread 28 Jan 2008, 18:27   #98
ThunderCat
P.I.M.P.Of.Mistu.Net

ThunderCat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I would like to suggest we have private gals of 8 memebers and random gals for those who wish to go random(more than 8 members).
Lower alliance member limit to 50 maybe and i belive you`d have a quite interesting round.
Maybe even make the private ingal eta 6 instead 5 to compensate for the advantage over the random gals.
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 13:23   #99
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

wow why did you return!?!?!
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 14:23   #100
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Not necessarily, in my opinion public galaxies should be a little bigger (8/14, or 10/18, something along those lines). It's a minor point really.
Normally, i would agree. However, i seem to recall that at some point PA had private gals with fewer people than public gals existing together. If memory serves, and this is going back eons ago (R5?), then galaxies who werent private were made blatently obvious by having 15 planets instead of 10 - as such, solo random attackers knew not to attack the private gals under the presumption that they were more organised and difficult targets. Which they usually were. However, by having more planets, free gals (particularly early on) essentially painted "raid the total crap through us, PLEASE!!!!" signs on all of their roids/ships/planets, and as such were destroyed utterly very soon in the game, thereafter top (private) gals ran away despite their smaller size in planets.

So, i suppose my point is; is there a way to make it less obvious for galaxies to be indistinguishable, whilst still competitive with oneanother, whether they were private or not? I fear another repeat of history with different sizes.