User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:08   #1
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future
uni help pls?

Have you ever handed in some work and had your confidentiality breached and been unfairly marked? Have you ever failed an exam because the content was untaught? Have you ever been on a 16 week course where your lecturer failed to turn up more than you did? Have you been accused of plagiarism and then been awarded the lowest mark available? Have you been refused entry to a classroom for your mobile phone going off in one class? Have you ever handed in a piece of coursework and the office or lecturer conveniently 'lost' it? (have you ever, ever felt like this, when strange things happen, are you going round the twist) :-P

I have.
Actually...
I've had all those things happen to me in the past year.

I've been studying for my Masters Degree in the UK and it was hard work. Really hard. I mean, if anyone had told me how much reading was involved I'd have laughed at them. It's been compounded by the fact that i had a really crap experience with the university system here, but somehow managed to pass in the end.

In an introductionary lecture for one of my classes my phone went off and my tutor went INSANE and chucked me out of the hall and refused admittance for two weeks after. I was obviously finding that course hard, and asked for one-on-one tuition with his aide, and wrote a good essay. I know the aide must have told the tutor which one was mine because they routinely discuss what topics we have chosen. It was given 40% (lowest passing grade), despite when being remarked by external mods getting a 60% the original grade stood. The lecturer then went on a recruitment event in India for the last 4 weeks of term (before the exam period) and left the aide in charge, who didn't know much about anything. The exam we sat was ridiculous and the pass rate was about 4% of the class. I scored a 17%. Honestly, it was insane. We petitioned to be retested, and we had to sit the exact same test again (most of the content was untaught and very random) which I scraped a 40%. God knows if they actually marked them because I heard half the class got 40%. Very convenient in my mind.

Then next semester he teaches another unit, which I obviously try to get out of. Head Office tells me I can't and the teacher finds out I requested a transfer to another class. He makes my life hell, and I hand in work, which he takes to the board claiming I had plagiarised. I hadn't, and I was cleared, but he refused to give me a better mark than 40% (minimum pass). A second piece of coursework 'goes missing' and the university investigates where it's gone. I know where it's gone, he's hidden it or something. After two months the board convenes and decides that I should fail that unit. I appeal, prove that I handed it in again (never throw away your hand-in receipts guys) and get it graded at... surprise surprise....... 40%.

On one side of the coin I have passed my masters programme and will graduate in July, however I feel like I've paid a lot of money to be bullied, and been graded unfairly. At the end of my course, had it not been for those three 40% grades, my dissertation could have gotten me very close to a distinction (and there is the option to resubmit your dissertation if you wanted, for a slight penalty, but I think I might be able to make the grade up to average a 70 overall). Only thing is I feel like there's nothing I can do because I've appealed so many times with the student unions, university, etc... and nothing ever happens. I'm hoping someone here knows if there's anything I can do (short of murder)?

Yours whinge-fully,
-tux

note: i wont be able to check this till tomorrow, so if anyone replies bare in mind i'll not see it till tomorrow

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:12   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: uni help pls?

official complaints to the dean, tip off to the press about substandard teaching on those courses.
other then that there isnt much you can do.

The randomness though reminds me of one lecturer i had last year, for a networked systems course.
There was no structure -at all- to it, and lots of people either failed or got poor grades.

The feedback sessions we have for the courses was suitably savage for him and the next semester the course he taught was markedly better so he clearly learnt his lesson
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:21   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sue the university?
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:41   #4
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Go to the boards (or whatever it's called) and tell them you want your money back, else you'll tip off the press.

What kind of university is this anyway? Sounds incredibly shit and unprofessional.
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:56   #5
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

Leicester... yeah it was... I actually haven't paid most of my tuition at the moment (I sort of had to hold them to ransom to remark some work, and issue my grades to me) - but now that they have given me my passing grade they've said 'you can graduate on the condition that you pay the rest of your tuition' which in my mind says "you're paying to graduate, thats all".

dean didnt help, i went to the board twice to get marks overturned, i just hope there's enough people who had a problem with this lecturer that it wont happen again.... fingers crossed eh? maybe i should refuse to pay and see what happens :-S afterall, i do have a letter in my hand saying congratulations you've passed your masters. why do i need to pay the extra 3 grand outstanding to get the certificate?

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 18:58   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Useless now, but what you should have done is take him to one side, apologise for the phone incident, and just show him how keen you were to do well etc.

That seems a bit of a silly reason to hate you though - just because your phone goes off in class. If that happened in one of my classes I'd just give a frown and a teacher stare, and the kid would apologise. Then we'd hear nothing more about it.

V.silly. Which university was it, by the way?

Edit: Leicester? My sister is going to uni in September and Leicester is her #1 choice
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 19:02   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What subject were you doing at Leicester?

(I went to Leicester)
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 20:04   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I wouldn't bother appealing. A strong letter of complaint to various persons (but demanding no action) outlining what happened might be in order, so the problems you encounter don't happen to anyone else. But what are you hoping to gain from any further action? You've passed, why not just forget about it?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 20:06   #9
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

That's pretty intense. Surely that can't all because of the telephone incident can it?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2007, 20:30   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
That's pretty intense. Surely that can't all because of the telephone incident can it?
that depends on your perception.

to blue-moon it can.

but then ...

blue-moon has said: "and I hand in work, which he takes to the board claiming I had plagiarised. I hadn't, and I was cleared, but he refused to give me a better mark than 40% (minimum pass)"

blue-moon has said: "I was obviously finding that course hard, and asked for one-on-one tuition with his aide, and wrote a good essay. I know the aide must have told the tutor which one was mine because they routinely discuss what topics we have chosen. It was given 40%"

and above all we can see the importance that lies in this statement:

"it was hard work. Really hard. I mean, if anyone had told me how much reading was involved I'd have laughed at them"

and so what is 'true' to blue-moon, diverges from what is true to our objective view.
Unread 24 Mar 2007, 14:51   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
PURILE DRIVEL.
Does this idiot ever talk in anything else but riddles ?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2007, 15:34   #12
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

just ignore him. we all do.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2007, 18:36   #13
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
Does this idiot ever talk in anything else but riddles ?
I think you'll find that's his persona.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2007, 20:14   #14
Avenged
Available

Avenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really nice

that suxs big time.. There must be a process u can go through, when i was at uni we had 2 course leaders, who u could go to about anything, uni related or not..

if not sue there ass

gl.
Avenged is offline   Reply With Quote