User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Nov 2006, 13:04   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Bloody Illegal Immigrants, living it large at our expense!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6158162.stm

I really don't know what to make of this story. Part of me feels sorry for him as it's rather unfortunate to pay to go to France and end up in Carmarthenshire (it's in Wales, for those of you know don't know) which is bad enough. He lived in a bush and had to steal food and now has to spend a year in jail (which strikes me as ludicrous)before being deported back to Morocco.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 13:22   #2
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Bloody Illegal Immigrants, living it large at our expense!

I'm imagining him thinking "what a minute... this doesn't sound very french!" on hearing the locals for the first time.

I don't see why they've jailed him. I doubt if the sentence will discourage other people from small villages in third-world countries from trying to enter into Europe. And if he's really that poor he'll probably attempt to reenter Europe after he returns to Morocco.

If it's not already so, EU countries need to work together on such issues, implementing standardised border checks to help detect trafficing. Of course the only long-term solution would be to help the infrastructure of third-world countries (I'm not sure if Morocco is technically a third-world country but whatever), which would ensure thier populations wouldn't need to leave their homeland. Such aide would also increase the amount of markets we can ship our good off to.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 13:40   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
I'm imagining him thinking "what a minute... this doesn't sound very french!" on hearing the locals for the first time.

I don't see why they've jailed him. I doubt if the sentence will discourage other people from small villages in third-world countries from trying to enter into Europe. And if he's really that poor he'll probably attempt to reenter Europe after he returns to Morocco.
He was prosecuted for 3 counts of burglary. He has been sentenced to prison because of those crimes. He was not prosecuted for 'trying to enter europe'.
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 14:34   #4
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Isnt it penalty enough to end up in Wales instead of France???!
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 15:44   #5
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

No need to put him in jail

Beat him up and send him back to Morocco in a pink t-shirt

* My family died in an earthquake, I tried to get to France but I got scammed for 1000 pounds ending up starving in the gutter only to get beaten up after which I got send back to my non-existent home.. And all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Last edited by Alessio; 18 Nov 2006 at 16:09.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 01:29   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
He was prosecuted for 3 counts of burglary. He has been sentenced to prison because of those crimes. He was not prosecuted for 'trying to enter europe'.
I understand that; however punishing a man who stole for basic subsistence who'll be deported, and thus away from british society, after his sentence seems pointless to me.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 03:00   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I understand that; however punishing a man who stole for basic subsistence who'll be deported, and thus away from british society, after his sentence seems pointless to me.
I agree with you.

However the magistrates who heard the case seem not to have agreed with either of us.

I did not hear all of the evidence. They did.
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 03:29   #8
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i thought you detested magistrates for their abject callousness and the depths of their whimsical cruelty to their fellow man?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 03:51   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i thought you detested magistrates for their abject callousness and the depths of their whimsical cruelty to their fellow man?
I don't detest good people.

Magistrates are good people: good people trying to do a job they are not qualified to do.

I detest the fact that good people are put in that position. That our nation considers justice to be such a trivial thing that it is not worth the 100K a year it would cost to put a district judge in instead of 3 volunteer magistrates.

I could never, will never, detest good people who volunteer. I will detest bad governments who can't be arsed to spend parliamentary time passing an act that will actually change something important - because they'd rather waste parliamentary time trying to pass acts that do nothing but look good on a 'sun' headline.
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 07:04   #10
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Does the UK offer incarcerated criminals the oportunity to better themselves through education while serving their sentence? If so maybe this guy could be taught proper english and some job skills. Sort of like the peace corps in reverse.

Then again why waste the money on someone that may end up blowing himself and others up in the not too distant future.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 10:02   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I might seem pointless, but it did create the foundation of Australia and all her greatness.

Tactitus agrees .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 11:18   #12
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I might seem pointless, but it did create the foundation of Australia and all her greatness.
And now look what you lot are doing. Exporting Australia's "greatness" by deporting illegal immigrants (or "Asylum seekers") to third world pacific islands and incarcerating them prisons for an indefinite period.

Never fear folks, Howard's going to civilise these bloody slanty eyed boat people!
Unread 19 Nov 2006, 12:01   #13
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Then again why waste the money on someone that may end up blowing himself and others up in the not too distant future.
Words fail me, they really do.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 11:26   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
And now look what you lot are doing. Exporting Australia's "greatness" by deporting illegal immigrants (or "Asylum seekers") to third world pacific islands and incarcerating them prisons for an indefinite period.

Never fear folks, Howard's going to civilise these bloody slanty eyed boat people!
Whilst humerous, you might consider reading This Post where i went into more detail regarding a more "mainstream" rationale regarding the rejection of "asylum seekers". Having said that, there are those in Australia who share your views; i've had the fortune to discuss this issue with them for a while. Obviously on an unrelated matter, those individuals also happened to subscribe to the Guardian newspaper.
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 11:49   #15
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I suspect that it is not the rationale for dettering or preventing the asylum seekers, but rather the result of that policy that people find so lamentable.

Illegal immigration is a problem in many western countries, yet they do not see it necessary to respond to this issue by locking these people up in detention centres on Nauru.

To that, you might respond that Australia's situation is unique, in both its coastal proximity to Indonesia, and the sheer logistical difficulty of patroling one of the longest uninhabited coastal areas anywhere in the world. Drastic measures and means are called for in order to stem the unrelenting tide of illegal immigrants; among whom might be Terrorists hell bent on destroying the Australian way of life.

To me that smacks of a good deal of media hysteria and political rhetoric. Concerns which could equally be leveled against those who oppose the policy. We could run around in circles, I simply prefer to disagree with the end result of locking people up on offshore detention centres for an indefinite period simply because they had the teremity to (as you say) 'jump the que'.
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 12:44   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I suspect that it is not the rationale for dettering or preventing the asylum seekers, but rather the result of that policy that people find so lamentable.
Well, it depends on your perspective really. In the short run, when hundreds of people were imprisioned in both Australia and via "the pacific solution", including children etc, that is an unfortunate result of the policy and i agree.

However, the long run result is that for months (years?) no one has attempted to make the crossing from Indonesia to Australia via boat - a journey that has claimed a large number of lives already and merely lined the pockets of people smugglers and the like - and thus in the long term it could be argued that the suffering of people has been reduced as no further attempts are made and all/virtually all applications have been processed.

So, it might be a case of short term pain for long term gain.

Quote:
Illegal immigration is a problem in many western countries, yet they do not see it necessary to respond to this issue by locking these people up in detention centres on Nauru.
Most Western countries lack the close proximity to Nauru, most western countries lack the advantage of being girt by sea which obviously prevents crossing over a border by truck train car or on foot - limiting it to boats and aircraft, most western countries dont have a developing nation right next door (no, France doesnt count), most countries lack the large expanses of inhospitable land to act as natural barriers and prime places for detention centres. Most Western countries thus cant be as strict as the Australian government was - but even still Western countries still lock up people who are seeking to immigrate; its far from a uniquely Australian problem.

Quote:
among whom might be Terrorists hell bent on destroying the Australian way of life.
Even idiots know that Asylum Seekers are not terrorists (well actually, you can test that, lets see what Treveler says :\) - i think it has been mentioned by some lunatic once in the 8? years of the policy. Clearly, it does not represent mainstream opinion (something that i am trying to present, obviously not all that well), and throwing strawmen in this argument isnt really helping.

Quote:
I simply prefer to disagree with the end result of locking people up on offshore detention centres for an indefinite period simply because they had the teremity to (as you say) 'jump the que'.
That may be the case, and you are entitled to your opinion especially because the removal of personal freedoms and liberty to act individually in a representative democracy should never be underestimated, however i might mention that there are cases when it may be appropriate (or at least, less inappropriate) to pursue this course of action. It seems to have been in the "national interest" insofar as it was a "good" result for the country as a whole, however whether there were more viable or better alternatives that could have been implemented is a viable concern.

At the very least, the policy worked. As such, countries like Britain are now looking into it because of its effectiveness. Sadly, it seems that the policy of offshore detention/strict immigration policy that Australia created/adopted is often misrepresented in the media on both sides around the world. As far as i see it, the "solution" wasnt that bad - there are alot more policies that could be worse, and there were potentially policies that could have been better.
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 08:01   #17
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Even idiots know that Asylum Seekers are not terrorists (well actually, you can test that, lets see what Treveler says :\) - i think it has been mentioned by some lunatic once in the 8? years of the policy. Clearly, it does not represent mainstream opinion (something that i am trying to present, obviously not all that well), and throwing strawmen in this argument isnt really helping.
Not all Asylum Seekers are terrorists. The ones that are will try to go through another country before coming to the USA. Had the US not been attacked we might not think so poorly of muslims but there are enough faithful muslims out there that want Christians and Americans dead that we tend to discriminate first and ask questions later once they have been incarcerated without charges for a year or so. A few bad apples spoiled the bunch for us.

By the way Treveler might take offense at being called an idiot. I have not seen him on the forums lately but when he does post (usually on AD) he usually puts alot of thought into what he is saying unlike me

travler - seven letters.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 08:12   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Not all Asylum Seekers are terrorists. The ones that are will try to go through another country before coming to the USA. Had the US not been attacked we might not think so poorly of muslims but there are enough faithful muslims out there that want Christians and Americans dead that we tend to discriminate first and ask questions later once they have been incarcerated without charges for a year or so. A few bad apples spoiled the bunch for us.
There are definately easier ways to enter Australia than on a ricketly leaking fishing boat, primarily as posing as a legitimate traveler (hah!) - or indeed, as in the case with Britain, home-grown terrorists who need not even challenge the immigration system. Its not as though the only terrorists are "out there" - terrorists and terrorism arent uniquely muslim traits, they are common to all people throughout time.

Quote:
By the way Treveler might take offense at being called an idiot. I have not seen him on the forums lately but when he does post (usually on AD) he usually puts alot of thought into what he is saying unlike me

travler - seven letters.
This is a most unfortunate gaff on my behalf. Please accept my apologies Treveler, and Travler, you should know better .