User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Sep 2006, 10:28   #51
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: A question for economists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
n 1: a general and progressive increase in prices; "in inflation everything gets more valuable except money"

Indeed! And because we do not work on an exchange rate regime based on gold standard, the value of a currency is the amount of goods you can buy with the currency. This means, you can buy less with each pound, right? Everything gets more valuable (or a certain asset or good gets more valuable in case of specific inflation; such as the inflation of house prices), except currency, which gets, less valuable. Because it buys less. Now, can you explain the "value of money stays the same while they ask more" part to me now that you've found your way to the dictionary?
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 10:44   #52
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Indeed! And because we do not work on an exchange rate regime based on gold standard, the value of a currency is the amount of goods you can buy with the currency. This means, you can buy less with each pound, right? Everything gets more valuable (or a certain asset or good gets more valuable in case of specific inflation; such as the inflation of house prices), except currency, which gets, less valuable. Because it buys less. Now, can you explain the "value of money stays the same while they ask more" part to me now that you've found your way to the dictionary?
The value of money will stay the same undependent of what amount of money their is on the local market (inside the country/ trade between people who use the same currency)

I'm saying more or less goods or more or less demand, inflation and deflation
changes the value of goods in money
Money is used to calculate the value of goods
But the value of the total amount of that currency stays the same

The value of money itself changes in international trade, when the money itself actually counts as a good

Last edited by Alessio; 13 Sep 2006 at 10:57.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 10:59   #53
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
The value of money will stay the same undependent of what amount of money their is on the local market (inside the country/people who use the same currency)
Yeah, and this is exactly why I originally posted that inflation is such a grand topic it would deserve pages and pages full of rant that is incomperhensible for most people reading it here. If we discuss further (now that we've reached the inflation and domestic/foreign markets), we'll eventually come down to domestic inflation causing exports to suffer, which causes a change in the external value of the currency (meaning, less people request pounds; refering to the original post on this). This change comes accordingly with the purchasing power parity theories, which means, on the long run between (an indefinitive amount) economies the exchanges rates of the currencies (or the "value of money", as you name it) will find their way into an equilibrium were the differences in the exchange rates counter the differences in the economies' domestic inflations. On the long run.

Also, global inflation directly affects all economies and markets, hence, directly changing the value of money (because it's inflation that affects everyone; all currencies buy equally less of all goods, ceteris paribus; a "standard" example of global inflation would be the oil prices in 1970s).

Whether or not the debate on inflation is out of topic and out of proportion is a question of judgement.

edit.
Could you please try post so that you wouldn't edit the posts 10 minutes after you've posted them? It's very difficult to follow up with posts the content of which changes times after you've posted them.

edit.
I do understand if you've messed with grammar or left something out, or want to add something to the end; but you're really making a habit of it:

Posted: 12 Sep 2006, 23:44
Last edited by Alessio : 12 Sep 2006 at 23:54.

Posted: 13 Sep 2006, 09:34
Last edited by Alessio : 13 Sep 2006 at 10:39.

Posted: 13 Sep 2006, 11:03
Last edited by Alessio : 13 Sep 2006 at 11:30.

Posted: 13 Sep 2006, 12:20
Last edited by Alessio : 13 Sep 2006 at 12:33.

Posted: 13 Sep 2006, 12:44
Last edited by Alessio : 13 Sep 2006 at 12:57.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 10:59   #54
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The value of money will stay the same undependent of what amount of money their is on the local market (inside the country/ trade between people who use the same currency)
No it won't.

£5 now is worth a lot more than £5 was worth 100 years ago.

This is because there is a lot more money floating around so £5 is a much smaller fraction of the total country's currency than it was 100 years ago.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 11:11   #55
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I agree Tietäjä, I think that kinda sums it up

And tomkat, read your own post again plz
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 12:40   #56
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
No, because it seems even economists can't agree on a simple piece of logic like what would happen if one person burnt one £20 note. It just shows what a load of theoretical rubbish it really is.

(also I'm not sure how you decided it isn't a "real subject" but ok)
politics is ridiculous. people can't even agree on what the model society would look like!

much better is sociology, which can say with authority that there is scholarly debate on the subject which we need not worry about.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 13:26   #57
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
£5 now is worth a lot more than £5 was worth 100 years ago.
Did you actually mean this?
Quote:
No, because it seems even economists can't agree on a simple piece of logic like what would happen if one person burnt one £20 note. It just shows what a load of theoretical rubbish it really is.
I'm not sure if physicists could agree on what the climate change effects would be if you burnt a £20 but that doesn't make physics rubbish either. It just shows how complex these systems are especially when you're trying to determine the effects of extremely small scale actions.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 13:48   #58
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
He didn't (the subsequent paragraph directly contradicts that line), but it's worth pointing out that a present-day £5 probably buys fewer potatoes than £5 did 100 years ago, but it buys a lot more CDs.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 15:12   #59
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No, I got it the wrong way around. I wasn't paying attention to what I was writing.

And (to Phang) politics and economics are completely different. Economics should be able to answer the questions simply and accurately of "what would happen to inflation if I burnt this £20 note, or indeed £2m". It isn't a hypothetical subject when dealing with simple scenarios like that.

Quote:
I'm not sure if physicists could agree on what the climate change effects would be if you burnt a £20 but that doesn't make physics rubbish either. It just shows how complex these systems are especially when you're trying to determine the effects of extremely small scale actions.
I'm not sure if you're just trying to be complicated by comparing physics to economics as they're completely different subjects but ok sure you're right physicists couldn't all agree on what burning a £20 note would do to the environment.

The difference is that economists SHOULD be able to agree. It's a simple hypothetical situation and can easily be worked out by making the £20 into £2m or £2b or even a gazillion pounds. The actual amount of cash doesn't matter as the effect on the economy would just be affected in different proportions.

Anyway the fact that people are quoting from dictionary.com shows this debate/argument/discussion has descended into depths which it can't be rescued from.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 15:27   #60
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'm not sure either. I'm just poking fun at the fact that business studies (and management) are stereotypically seen to be easy degree and ones that people take if they aren't capable of doing economics.

Indeed at least for management the modules are much less difficult and significantly less complicated than economics modules in my opinion. At university whenever we had a choice to do modules within social sciences outside the core economics modules, people would always rush to do management modules due to the usual higher grade achievements and also because they were far far easier than corresponding economics modules.

The 'real' part is a jibe against the growing number of stupid degrees (mickey mouse degrees) that are becoming the norm. Business studies isn't a mickey mouse degree, it just isn't a great one because the content has been dumbed down over recent years.

Last edited by Zar; 13 Sep 2006 at 15:42.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 15:31   #61
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can find people who will claim pretty much anything. All it means is that disciplines that are contingent on empirical evidence can often be misinterpreted.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 17:13   #62
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
The difference is that economists SHOULD be able to agree.
On the fundamental 'X causes Y' question, they do. The disagreement is over the secondary (and beyond) effects.

It's like asking 'does water fall from the sky when it rains'. All meteorologists will agree on the answer to that. But asking whether rain today will cause a tornado in Venezuela next Tuesday is a different question. There probably is an answer, but we don't have enough data to say for certain. Likewise, burning £20 has certain effects, which may in turn cause other processes to take place which counteract the initial effect. These processes are often too complex to comprehend fully, and this is where the disagreement lies.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 18:14   #63
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

Economists can barely agree on the spelling let alone much else.

I'm spotting a pattern here, a thread about university or Economics ends up bashing Tomkat about Business Studies Business Studies and Economics are fairly different subjects I don't think every thread needs to become LOL TOM SORT IT OUT BUZINESS IS EAZY. Although Zar does have a point about those management modules and the rush to avoid things like extra formal methods.

Last edited by Hicks; 13 Sep 2006 at 18:24.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 18:23   #64
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
The difference is that economists SHOULD be able to agree. It's a simple hypothetical situation and can easily be worked out by making the £20 into £2m or £2b or even a gazillion pounds. The actual amount of cash doesn't matter as the effect on the economy would just be affected in different proportions.
The geographists should be able to agree on what exactly causes global warming. Yet they don't. Biologists should be able to agree how human evolved or became as it is now. Yet they don't. Neurologists should be able to agree on how exactly the human mind works. Yet they have no clue, really, they don't even have grounds yet to argue about it.

Economics isn't a "simple" act, and making working schemes that actually function as models of reality is very time consuming, difficult, and requires a lot of assumptions. When we're dealing with an area that explores human behavior, we're bound to end up in situations where one can say; no, it wouldn't go like that, because - while other says you're mis-interpreting how people would react. A good example of this is the rationalists; they assume people do not make mistakes as economic actors. Modern keynesians would argue that, even if people would not knowingly commit "mistakes", they might not be able to have sufficient information to actually avoid commiting mistakes - hence all theory that assumes people won't commit mistakes is in vain.

To pile on to the fact that the research subject is difficult, there are normative economists that would argue solely on what's right and what's wrong - even to an ethical extent. Also, there's always the problem that when you're arguing, you might end up arguing with a person who doesn't have his facts correct, hence he's arguing with you based on wrong facts, which means there won't be an "agreement" on what happens because the vintage point starts out false. This isn't because of economics, but because of the people arguing it.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 18:42   #65
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I've chosen not to read most of this thread, mainly because you guys are all just supporting your own opinions and you haven't actually given any factual data, or sources. If you're going to argue properly, do some research and then spout off your opinions (saying "I think this is what it said in my economics textbook" doesn't count).

Perhaps you should just google "What happens to the economy when I accidentally destroy my money?"
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 18:59   #66
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I've chosen not to read most of this thread, mainly because you guys are all just supporting your own opinions and you haven't actually given any factual data, or sources. If you're going to argue properly, do some research and then spout off your opinions (saying "I think this is what it said in my economics textbook" doesn't count).
Re-read the thread, please. There are some links there, and, in addition to the links, there are references to literacy as it is. Not just "textbook", but books that actually carry nametags. After that, feel free to claim "no factual data or sources" if you feel like it.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:02   #67
Alessio
deserves a medal

6 years of economics and 4 of business economics in highschool doesn't count
Let's do some real research now! >>> *click*
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 19:14   #68
Tomkat

Quote:
6 years of economics and 4 of business economics in highschool doesn't count
Let's do some real research now! >>> *click*
Heehee Dutch internet google is funny

(guppy)
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:15   #69
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Re-read the thread, please. There are some links there, and, in addition to the links, there are references to literacy as it is. Not just "textbook", but books that actually carry nametags. After that, feel free to claim "no factual data or sources" if you feel like it.
Ok, I found 3 links:
1. Multiplier effect - which by reading the wiki article has to do with new businesses in an area will increase the economy of that area by getting people to spend excess money that they have saved up, and doesn't have anything to do with destroying money.
2. Gold Standard - has to do with all currency being backed up with gold, which isn't used anymore.
3. Inflation for beginners (by you) - is a link to the inflation theory of the Universe and has nothing whatsoever to do with money. Perhaps you should've read the article before you posted it as a reference.

At least the first two have to do with economics. Your link for reference doesn't even do with that, perhaps next time you won't run your mouth off before making sure that your source or link or reference is actually relevant to what you think it is.

Last edited by jt25man; 13 Sep 2006 at 21:23.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:30   #70
Tietäjä
Good Son

Uh-oh. Try David Begg's Economics - that's a book that would probably enlighten you on the specified subject (I did mention this too). It's hard to find a comperhensible economics basics guide on the internet, I'm not sure one exists. As said, it's not a mathematical "Yes or no" question, but if we think about the theory wider, it actually affects the whole economy (especially when inducted into a larger context in amounts).

Hence, if you're interested in source material, all I could do is list you a score of books. None of which you - or any other poster - would bother to get their hands into and read. Once you've read Begg's Economics (or an equivalent), you're okay to start with more advanced literature (or internet sites on more specific subjects). Let me know then you've bothered to do that.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:35   #71
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

I think I'll go back to what I said originally, destroying one note of currency won't affect the economy, you take the remains if it's still recognizable as currency to the bank, they replace it and the one you destroyed goes to the recycling center with the other old and destroyed bills. If you destroy it and it's not salvagable, then you're out that amount of money and the economy isn't going to grind to a halt or change one damn bit because somewhere out there is someone going to spend that money on what you were going to buy because they have it and you didn't get there first. For reference, no I'm not citing any actual sorces because as far as I know there's no reference in any material I've ever read that has to do with destroying one note of currency, and yes I've taken several economics courses.

Edit: I found this link replacing mutilated currency, for replacing your currency in US, I'm sure you guys could find one for England if you looked.

Last edited by jt25man; 13 Sep 2006 at 21:43.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:44   #72
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
I think I'll go back to what I said originally, destroying one note of currency won't affect the economy
Yeah. Yeah. Now, do you think the poster of this thread started it only to wonder if a pence destroyed or thrown into the ocean would drive the Bank of England on it's knees?
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:47   #73
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Yeah. Yeah. Now, do you think the poster of this thread started it only to wonder if a pence destroyed or thrown into the ocean would drive the Bank of England on it's knees?
He certainly didn't start it to find out about the inflation theory of the expanding universe.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:53   #74
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
He certainly didn't start it to find out about the inflation theory of the expanding universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadval
burn/destroy their money and that there would therefore be £20 less in circulation. Then I started considering that it would probably just lower inflation by a miniscule fraction which, according to my understanding, wouldn't necessarily reduce Britain's GNP - therefore leading me to believe that the country would only be poorer by the amount it cost to print the note. After that I got tied up in knots over how the rate of inflation is measured and by whom (which led me onto considering similar things about exchange rates) and now I just want to have it all explained to me I'm sure the answer will come very easily to an educated mind, so if someone could shed some light on where my understanding of inflation/economics is lacking then that would be appreciated.
Are you sure, now, that he didn't want anything to do with inflation, but that he wanted you to post a link on how torn dollar bills get replaced in the United States?
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 21:58   #75
Alessio
deserves a medal

Quote:
I think I'll go back to what I said originally, destroying one note of currency won't affect the economy, you take the remains if it's still recognizable as currency to the bank, they replace it and the one you destroyed goes to the recycling center with the other old and destroyed bills. If you destroy it and it's not salvagable, then you're out that amount of money and the economy isn't going to grind to a halt or change one damn bit because somewhere out there is someone going to spend that money on what you were going to buy because they have it and you didn't get there first. For reference, no I'm not citing any actual sorces because as far as I know there's no reference in any material I've ever read that has to do with destroying one note of currency, and yes I've taken several economics courses.

Edit: I found this link replacing mutilated currency, for replacing your currency in US, I'm sure you guys could find one for England if you looked.
If someone else spends his money on something you were going to buy
It basicly means that dude won't spend his money on something else, what he would have otherwise
You only move the problem

And I don't really see the relevance of your link to this thread jt25man
You could just as well have posted an ebay link and state he would have spend his money their otherwise
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:04   #76
Tomkat

David Begg's Economics is what we used in the 1st year of university. It's hardly enlightening complicated stuff. In fact I think he came in for one of our lectures.

You're getting too bogged down in this dude.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:11   #77
Tietäjä
Good Son

It's hardly enlightening, yeah. But it's a good basics book. You probably can't hop up to Cournot model or Cobweb theories without having an understanding about the basics of economy. For "more advanced" literature, you might want to try Heijdra's Foundations of Modern Macroeconomics, or Burda/Wyplosz's Macroeconomics. (Regarding this perhaps more obviously macroeconomical theme).
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:19   #78
Tomkat

And besides anyone who has seen Die Hard 3 knows that if you physically destroy a load of money then you make the country poorer overall!
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 22:26   #79
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
And besides anyone who has seen Die Hard 3 knows that if you physically destroy a load of money then you make the country poorer overall!
They weren't destroying money, they were destroying 'Gold', which is supposedly what gives the currency it's value. The idea is that by destroying the Gold that the currency of those countries is based on it would screw up there economies big time and make there currency worthless. But in the US, and probably England, the currency isn't backed by gold anymore, so destroying gold would essentially only be depriving the country of the value of that gold. However since in good Die Hard fashion they weren't actually destroying the gold but making the country think they were, it just goes to show you that no person in there right mind is going to blow up that amount of value in order to screw over a countries economy when they can keep it for themselves.
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 23:01   #80
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future

I'm beginning to regret posting this thread...
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 23:45   #81
Tomkat

Quote:
They weren't destroying money, they were destroying 'Gold', which is supposedly what gives the currency it's value. The idea is that by destroying the Gold that the currency of those countries is based on it would screw up there economies big time and make there currency worthless. But in the US, and probably England, the currency isn't backed by gold anymore, so destroying gold would essentially only be depriving the country of the value of that gold. However since in good Die Hard fashion they weren't actually destroying the gold but making the country think they were, it just goes to show you that no person in there right mind is going to blow up that amount of value in order to screw over a countries economy when they can keep it for themselves.
guess you sure showed me
Unread 13 Sep 2006, 23:49   #82
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadval
I'm beginning to regret posting this thread...
Next time I recommend you just shred the £20 note, sit back with a glass of brandy and watch as society falls to its knees.

Or something.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 08:44   #83
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It's hardly enlightening, yeah. But it's a good basics book. You probably can't hop up to Cournot model or Cobweb theories without having an understanding about the basics of economy.
Really? I think people on here are on the whole fairly clever and these aren't clever concepts. However, they cleary have **** all to do with the question in the post.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 08:56   #84
Alessio
deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Next time I recommend you just shred the £20 note, sit back with a glass of brandy and watch as society falls to its knees.

Or something.
You could also get a bj for £20 and watch society fall to its knees