User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Dec 2004, 23:46   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Question so that whole dollar-situation

is anyone worried about a global crisis yet?

(i know this thread sucks, but i wont put any great effort into writing somthing before i know someone starts some kind of discussion on the subject.)
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 08:57   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: so that whole dollar-situation

What wouls happen in case of a global crisis? I really can't see the problem with all this. Dollar collapsing, Euro exploding, American stuff becoming piss cheap, European export to the US stagnating, resulting in high supply, low demand situations for native products, consumer prices for native products dropping as a result of this, so a few companies go bankrupt.

I know nearly nothing about economics, so what I wrote is probably bollocks, but I can't really see how this is going to affect me in a negative way.
Outline this crisis stuff for me in a way I can understand it.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 10:57   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

dollar falls -> exports from rest of the world to usa fall -> usa most important market for the rest of the world -> rest of the world in recession because they can't sell their shit -> rest of the world stops investing money in the us -> interest rates and inflation in the us rise -> us in depression -> exports from the rest of the world to the usa fall -> etc.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 12:30   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
dollar falls -> exports from rest of the world to usa fall -> usa most important market for the rest of the world -> rest of the world in recession because they can't sell their shit -> rest of the world stops investing money in the us -> interest rates and inflation in the us rise -> us in depression -> exports from the rest of the world to the usa fall -> etc.
etc -> companies have too many products in stock -> companies offering their products for dump prices -> more crap for us to buy -> me getting a new computer for a silly low price -> me getting a new digital camera for a low price -> me importing a neat car from the US for a low price

Really, why shouldn't --> I <-- be happy about the US economy collapsing? That's my question.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 12:36   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

companies being low on cash -> companies firing people -> you getting laid off -> you not being able to find a new job -> you having to spend your money just on food and rent -> you not even being able to buy shit at dump prices -> etc
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 12:37   #6
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
etc -> companies have too many products in stock -> companies offering their products for dump prices -> more crap for us to buy -> me getting a new computer for a silly low price -> me getting a new digital camera for a low price -> me importing a neat car from the US for a low price

Really, why shouldn't --> I <-- be happy about the US economy collapsing? That's my question.
the problem is that you don't buy a new computer or a new digicam if you lost your job :/

edit: off now to buy cheap electronics with the money i got for christmas \o/
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 12:38   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Oh... yeah... that would be kind of crap.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 14:03   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

as long as i can buy things cheaper then i dont care if the dollar crashes into oblivion

BRING ON TEH $2:£1!
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 14:46   #9
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

GD: Ignoring basic economic theory since 2000.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 14:51   #10
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

D_M ignoring time since the stone age
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 14:57   #11
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

China is not ready to have their currency out on the open market free to influences to changes in value, they don't have the infrastructure yet in place to handle it.

The US will happily sit on brazil and china to support their massive trade deficit.

Of course this would possibly not be a problem if we didn't artificially bouy the Euro at the start of the millenium...
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 15:07   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
a post
Quote:
a post
Quote:
a post
Quote:
a post
Quote:
a post
Quote:
a post
Quote:
a post
damnit DM
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 15:19   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
China is not ready to have their currency out on the open market free to influences to changes in value, they don't have the infrastructure yet in place to handle it.

The US will happily sit on brazil and china to support their massive trade deficit.

Of course this would possibly not be a problem if we didn't artificially bouy the Euro at the start of the millenium...
Do you mean that china and brazil are supporting the US trade deficit now or that they will in future?
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 16:19   #14
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Do you mean that china and brazil are supporting the US trade deficit now or that they will in future?
China does, they have to because thats the only way to keep their currency pegged to the dollar. i doubt theyll do that forever though. they already have currency reserves of $600 bn. (The Federal Reserve has about $40 bn + some gold and some SDRs)
About Brazil, i don't know, never heared about them messing around with the market and with their small share in world trade i don't think they could make much of a difference anyway.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 16:20   #15
wu_trax

Quote:
Do you seriously think this all was caused by a small intervention 4 years ago?
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 16:32   #16
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
China does, they have to because thats the only way to keep their currency pegged to the dollar. i doubt theyll do that forever though. they already have currency reserves of $600 bn. (The Federal Reserve has about $40 bn + some gold and some SDRs)
About Brazil, i don't know, never heared about them messing around with the market and with their small share in world trade i don't think they could make much of a difference anyway.
brazil has the eighth largest economy in the world and i tend to doubt that it's heavily internal. but china's contribution is far more significant in terms of size and potential consequences.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 16:38   #17
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
brazil has the eighth largest economy in the world and i tend to doubt that it's heavily internal. but china's contribution is far more significant in terms of size and potential consequences.
i only had a quick look at the world fact book and it said that brazil exports goods worth something around 80bn a year and imports something around 40.
The us exports goods worth 600-700 bn and imports goods for more than a trillion. i doubt Brazil makes much of a difference for the dollar.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 17:01   #18
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
damnit DM
I could do it again for New Year if that'd help any...?

Unread 30 Dec 2004, 17:14   #19
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I could do it again for New Year if that'd help any...?
by 'new' you mean 'all of next', right?
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 17:37   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I posted this before in answer to sunday spouting the same drivel at a previous moment in time but Brazil really doesn't have any bearing on the US trade deficit. Anyways it's clearly all about Japan guys.

This also amused me.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 18:04   #21
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
by 'new' you mean 'all of next', right?
Only if my hand were to TOTALLY BY ACCIDENT OH YES INDEED slip when I was making the selection on the ban period...

Unread 30 Dec 2004, 18:18   #22
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Hey guys, stop beliving in the money and banks and live free

ps smash your local bank now anarchy now!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 19:15   #23
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you seriously think this all was caused by a small intervention 4 years ago?
Yes, yes I do, cause I think it's set the pattern for the US to behave how they want about their currency atm knowing that the EU won't force their hand on the issue ultimately.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 19:36   #24
wu_trax

Quote:
Yes, yes I do, cause I think it's set the pattern for the US to behave how they want about their currency atm knowing that the EU won't force their hand on the issue ultimately.
I doubt Bush WANTS the dollar to fall, he just realised that there isn't much he can do about it, so he's coming up with all that crap about boosting exports, reducing imports and so on. Not even the Federal Reseve could do much with its small reserves in foreign currencies.
The only ones who could support the dollars short term are foreign central banks. The ECB for example could easily buy as many dollars for euro as it wants. Obviously this would have a negative influence on inflation, but its still better than a global crisis.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 19:57   #25
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
I doubt Bush WANTS the dollar to fall.
most economists disagree with you on this subject.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 21:04   #26
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

i don't really care.
I am, however, worrying about if there's finanical gains here to be made that i'm not seeing, as it's $2 for £1 etc...
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 22:55   #27
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
I doubt Bush WANTS the dollar to fall
Dollar falls -> US national debt worth naff all -> US escapes complete bankruptcy.

Quite clever really, I doubt Bush thought it up though.

Personally, I'm in a really strong position at work so I like the weak dollar. Means I can buy stuff cheap from the US and feel like I'm doing charity work
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 23:05   #28
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
Dollar falls -> US national debt worth naff all -> US escapes complete bankruptcy.

Quite clever really, I doubt Bush thought it up though.

Personally, I'm in a really strong position at work so I like the weak dollar. Means I can buy stuff cheap from the US and feel like I'm doing charity work
But it also means a lower standard of living in the US, its going to be hard to explain this to the voters (ok, he probably doesn't have to worry about that, but anyway).
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 21:15   #29
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts

Quote:
But it also means a lower standard of living in the US, its going to be hard to explain this to the voters (ok, he probably doesn't have to worry about that, but anyway).
If someone starves to death in the United States, it will mean that person was too lazy to beg for food. Or did you mean too poor to buy pirated copies of the latest movies?
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 21:34   #30
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan
If someone starves to death in the United States, it will mean that person was too lazy to beg for food. Or did you mean too poor to buy pirated copies of the latest movies?
no, just a lower standrad of living, like in less goods for your money.

happy new year, btw.