User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:19   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Football] Squad Of The World Cup

Obviously with the final and the third place play off still to come; who would make your squad of the world cup?

Like a regular squad, 23 players, but picked from the world cup squads, based on performances, rather than ability (re, no lampard and ronaldinho).

Mine would be;

Goalkeepers

Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders

A. Cole (England)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Grosso (Italy)
Gallas (France)
Mertesacker (Germany)
Senderos (Switzerland)
Meira (Portugal)
Ooijer (Holland)

Midfielders

Robben (Holland)
Gattuso (Italy)
Kaka (Brazil)
Ronaldo (Portugal)
Zidane (France)
Cahill (Australia)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Rodriguez (Argentina)

Forwards

Torres (Spain)
Klose (Germany)
Henry (France)
Crespo (Argentina)

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:37   #2
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: [Football] Squad Of The World Cup

Keepers:
Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders:
Lahm (Germany)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Meira (Portugal)
Thuram (France)
Mertesacker (Germany)
Grosso (Italy)
Ayala (Argentina)
Coloccini (Argentina)

Midfielders:
Robben (Netherlands)
Kaka (Brazil)
Frings (Germany)
Zidane (France)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Ribery (France)
Makelele (France)
Essien (Ghana)

Forwards:
Klose (Germany)
Torres (Spain)
Henry (France)
Messi (Argentina)

Some of the players I included should probably not be there, but they are there because I feel they performed well when they were on the pitch. The obvious example of this is Messi who didn't get to play much, but he impressed me a lot when he had the chance (Against Serbia and Montenegro for instance). Essien played well for Ghana, but they obviously didn't get that far, and I didn't get to see more than one match where Ghana played due to being a guest in the hospital for a while. I am also not so sure about Lahm who played well in the group stage but became more anonymous later on. But I don't think I would want to do it differently.

Edit: 5 Germans, 5 French, 4 Argentinians, 3 Italians, 2 Portuguese, 1 Spaniard, a Ghanaian, a Dutch and a Brazilian. That seems about how I felt about the teams in this World Cup. I'm unsure about the final though, and I'm not even certain who I want to win.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:42   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Goalkeepers:

Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann(Germany)
Ricardo(Portugal)

Defenders:

Cannavaro (Italy)
Miguel(Portugal)
Ayala(Argentina)
Thuram(France)
Sagnol(France)
Senderos(Switzerland)
Zambrotta(Italy)
Mertesacker(Germany)

Midfielders:

Robben (Holland)
Nedved (Czech)
Zidane(France)
Rodriguez(Argentina)
Vieira(France)
Gattuso(Italy)
Essien(Ghana)
Ribery(France)

Strikers:

Torres(Spain)
Klose(Germany)
Gyan(Ghana)
Saviola(Argentina)

I left out the likes of Ronaldo cause hes a diving ****
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:51   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Goalkeepers

Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders

A. Cole (England)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Zambrotta (Italy)
Gallas (France)
Carvalho (Portugal)
Ayala (Argentina)
Lahm (Germany)
Thuram (France)

Midfielders

Robben (Holland)
Pirlo (Italy)
Kaka (Brazil)
Ronaldo (Portugal)
Zidane (France)
Cahill (Australia)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Essien (Ghana)

Forwards

Podolski (Germany)
Klose (Germany)
Henry (France)
Crespo (Argentina)
Player of the tournament for me is cannavaro. Bit weak up front in general this world cup despite the fact there were a lot of goals, at least up until the quarter final stage. Most over-rated anybody ever has to be francesco totti. Didn't he used to play well for roma once upon a time in the distant past?
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:42   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Goal:

Lehmann
(Barthez)

Def:

Ooijer
Lahm
Cannavero
(Cole)
(Ayana)

Mid:

Cambiasso
Zidane
Robben
Ribery
(Riquelme)
(Ronaldo)

Att:

Klose
Henry
Messi
(Saviola)
(Podolski)
(Ronaldinho)
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:45   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Goalkeepers

Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders

A. Cole (England)
Ferdinand (England)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Grosso (Italy)
Zambrotta (Italy)
Senderos (Switzerland)
Ayala (Argentina)
Lahm (Germany)

Midfielders

Pirlo (Italy)
Kaka (Brazil)
Vieira (France)
Zidane (France)
Ribery (France)
Cahill (Australia)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Rodriguez (Argentina)
Lennon (England)

Forwards

Torres (Spain)
Klose (Germany)
Henry (France)

Ricardo / Grosso, Cannavaro, Ayala, Zambrotta / Vieira, Pirlo, Zidane, Kaka / Torres, Henry

i'd hate to be the team trying to mark that.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 00:03   #7
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Goalkeepers

Buffon (Italy)
Lehman (Germany)
Barthez (France)

Defenders

Gallas (France)
A. Cole (England)
Mellberg (Sweden
Lahm (Germany)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Grosso (Italy)
Sagnol (France)

Midfielders

Ronaldo (Portugal)
Zidane (France)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Ribery (France)
Kaka (Brazil)
Robban (Holland)
Essien (Ghana
Gattuso (Italy)
Maniche (Portugal)

Attackers

Henry (France)
Klose (Germany)
Tevez (Argentina)
Torres (Spain)

Last edited by pig; 6 Jul 2006 at 00:10.
pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 00:28   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Some interesting choices; not least because tevez only got 1 goal as did messi and neither got an awful lot of game time. Lennon too. Also i feel Grosso should be a shoe in on everyones because he won the penalty vs Australia, and scored the brilliant goal vs Germany as well as being part of a team thats only conceded 1 goal. What more can a left back do?

Unread 6 Jul 2006, 00:56   #9
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I choose tevez as hes ideal for the squad I picked. I thought he had a good world cup and always looked a threat. This world cup hasnt come up with any exceptional strikers apart from perhaps klosse and torres who looked natural on this stage. Personally im suprised why no one has put Gattuso in their squads.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 01:01   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

lennon can provide a perfect spark as a substitute (as shown during the wc) when the legs get weary though. other than him, i think my choices were all pretty obvious ones.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 01:20   #11
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

goalkeeper
Buffon

defenders
Degen
Lahm
Cannavaro
Puyol

midfielders
Zidane
Cambiasso
Essien

forwards
Klose
Ribery
Torres

subs
Van der Sar
Hislop
A. Cole
Sorin
Marquez
Pirlo
Xavi
Rosicky
Beckham
Appiah
Van Persie
Wanchope

Last edited by KoeN; 6 Jul 2006 at 21:38.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 01:57   #12
pig
1up on you

If I was doing a starting 11 mine would be

Goalkeeper

Buffon (Italy)

Defenders

A. Cole (England)
Lahm (Germany)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Grosso (Italy)

Midfielders

Zidane (France)
Gattuso (Italy)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Kaka (Brazil)

Forwards

Henry (France)
Klose (Germany)

based on the same principals of performence etc, im confident my 11 would dick over your 11.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 02:18   #13
jerome

i doubt it, as for one - you have 2 left backs, and a third full back in lahm. then there's klose who predominantly scores from headers and MY cannavaro won't let any one get a header towards goal! your midfield probably won't work as well either as having 4 main playmakers (especially when two have no pace whatsoever) leaves a lot of responsibility on your leftover gattuso. (whereas my pirlo/vieira who are two holding midfielders behind zidane / kaka who would look to release torres/henry hopefully.)
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 02:22   #14
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i doubt it, as for one - you have 2 left backs, and a third full back in lahm. then there's klose who predominantly scores from headers and MY cannavaro won't let any one get a header towards goal! your midfield probably won't work as well either as having 4 main playmakers (especially when two have no pace whatsoever) leaves a lot of responsibility on your leftover gattuso. (whereas my pirlo/vieira who are two holding midfielders behind zidane / kaka who would look to release torres/henry hopefully.)
i know my team is flawed!!!!!

it just looks nice on paper
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 08:10   #15
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

First of all pig i have gattuso in my team :P

I think players liek Henry and Messi\Tevez really havent done enough in this WC to warrant a place in my team. My first team lineup would be :

Ricardo

Ayala
Cannavaro
THuram

Zambrotta
Gattuso
Zidane
Robben
Vieira

Torres
Klose

Im lacking a really good left back(thought about putting in zambrotta but a 5-3-2 formation wouldnt hav worked for my team)

So ill go for a 3-5-2 with zambrotta and robben on the wings and a strong defensive midfield, hoping that my two strikers can do most on their own
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 09:30   #16
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Nobody seems to have named Marquez in their defence
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 09:52   #17
jerome

that's actually a very good point, i totally forgot about mexico, switch for senderos then.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 10:02   #18
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People say Italy have only conceded one goal, but that was such a freak it shouldn't really count.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 10:52   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Nobody seems to have named Marquez in their defence
He played 4 games; one was against Iran. He was great against Portugal and against Argentina but when Mexico played Togo he was moved into midfield and he was ****ing terrible. I considered him, but he didnt do enough for me.

Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:24   #20
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all

Goalkeepers

Buffon (Italy)
Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders

Sorin (Argentina)
Lahm (Germany)
Grosso (Italy)
Mertesacker (Germany)
Ayala (Argentina)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Sagnol (France)
Zambrotta (Italy)

Midfielders

Robben (Holland)
Ribery (France)
Pirlo (Italy)
Gattuso (Italy)
Frings (Germany)
Zidane (France)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Viera (France)

Forwards

Drogba (Ivory Coast)
Klose (Germany)
Henry (France)
Crespo (Argentina)

A starting eleven could be:

Buffon
Sagnol - Ayala - Cannavaro - Sorin
Ribery - Pirlo - Riquelme - Robben
Crespo - Klose
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 13:27   #21
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
He played 4 games; one was against Iran. He was great against Portugal and against Argentina but when Mexico played Togo he was moved into midfield and he was ****ing terrible. I considered him, but he didnt do enough for me.
i'm not sure how his performance when he was played out of position is too relevant to how he played in defence (which as you said, was great) when picking squads with the intention of playing him in defence.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 14:11   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

True, and i accept your point. However it was my feeling that the coach was forced to move him in to midfield because he was taking on more of an offensive role from central defence than he probably should have been doing, trying to do a little bit too much on his own.

Obviously hes mexico's best player and in that context it was understandable, but in the same vein it was sometimes like he considered himself "too good to play in defence", primary school stylee.

Unread 6 Jul 2006, 14:29   #23
jerome

whilst also true, i instead interpreted his nature to go up more as how he thought he "needed" to for mexico, so therefore in the context of being surrounded by excellent attackers as he would be in a dream team, i'd expect him to be solid at the back. admittedly, i missed a lot of barcelona last season, but in the one or two games i managed to catch, he seemed happy to leave the midfield duties to their classy midfielders. obviously had the games i watched been anomalous then nevermind
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 14:55   #24
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Apart from that there´s combinations that would work good, I would love to try Zidane as a striker with Henry and Ribery behind him.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 21:44   #25
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

why o why do people bring up names like Henry and Robben?

Henry didn't even come close to the level he was supposed to reach. and when he did score his first (an easy as ****, not to miss) goal, he brough the hand to his ear as if he was god's gift to football, whereas Robben only performed well in 1 (the first) out of 4 matches he played. (unlike Van Persie btw, who isn't named at all, while he outclassed Robben in 3 of 4 matches).

if you make this a team 'based performances', like def says it should be, then Wanchope for example should -considering the class of his team, experience and personal qualities- have 200% more right to be in this team than both of them. but maybe that's just me...

the typical "premiership-players are all we know" mentality if you ask me.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 22:33   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i like how you say "only premiership players" and then cite Paulo Wanchope, who played in the EPL for eight years
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 22:36   #27
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i like how you say "only premiership players" and then cite Paulo Wanchope, who played in the EPL for eight years
>_<
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 15:31   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Koen's opinions on football get worse every week. Never mind the fact wanchope played in the EPL for ages, newsflash dude, van persie plays for an english club! Anyways...

Fifa's World Cup squad of the tournament

Goalkeepers:
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
Jens Lehmann (Germany)
Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders:
Roberto Ayala (Argentina)
John Terry (England)
Lilian Thuram (France)
Philipp Lahm (Germany)
Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy)
Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)

Midfielders:
Ze Roberto (Brazil)
Patrick Vieira (France)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
Michael Ballack (Germany)
Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
Gennaro Gattuso (Italy)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Maniche (Portugal)

Strikers:
Hernan Crespo (Argentina)
Thierry Henry (France)
Miroslav Klose (Germany)
Francesco Totti (Italy)
Luca Toni (Italy)

Terry but not grosso or cole, ze roberto but no riquelme and FRANCESCO ****ING TOTTI?!?!?!
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 15:33   #29
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

terry i thought played fairly well.

ze roberto and totti make for hilarity.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 15:36   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
terry i thought played fairly well.

ze roberto and totti make for hilarity.
Terry had a terrible game against sweden and was pretty crap against T&T. How he made it ahead of the two I mentioned is beyond me. I thought originally, ze roberto, token brazilian who has to make the team. But kaka was five times as good as ze roberto bar the last game against france.
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 15:44   #31
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Ferdinand was better than Terry. In fact Ferdinand was ace. Wonder why no-one has Joe Cole in. He had an ace tournament.
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 16:06   #32
JonnyBGood
Banned

Incidentally eight of those players might be available for cut-rate prices if those four serie A clubs get relegated.
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 22:33   #33
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Buffon (Italy), Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal)

Lahm (Germany), Grosso (Italy), Sagnol (France), A. Cole (England), Cannavaro (Italy), Zambrotta (Italy), Carvalho (Portugal), Marquez (Mexico)

Christiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Rodriguez (Argentina), Hargreaves (England), Riquelme (Argentina), Gattuso (Italy), Zidane (France), Luis Figo (Portugal), Frings (Germany)

Torres (Spain), Henry (France), Klose (Germany), Shevchenko (Ukraine)

The inclusion of Shevchenko will probably raise eyebrows, but I think he played well and was for me only second (as an out-and-out box player) to Klose and I think given more/better chances he would have netted more. Yes, he was disappointing against Spain (whose offside trap eliminated him, but everyone's got a weakness and playing Shevchenko out of the game was the Ukraine's) and Italy (who only concede goals from other Italians or so it seems).

Hargreaves for me wasn't given enough of a chance to shine, only playing in his natural position against Sweden and Portugal. In both of those games, especially Portugal, he was everywhere though.

Of course neither of these two points count for much, I just feel these players deserve some mention in this thread.

Cahill, Ayala, Kaka, Maniche, Pirlo, Senderos all very nearly made it.

Ribery didn't make it because at times he was great, at others a liability. His short passing has been pretty atrocious at times and that to me is unforgiveable.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2006, 13:37   #34
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Franz Beckenbauer's Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
"I have been on the panel to help pick out the best ten players at the tournament," he added.

"We could have picked a completely different ten. There were no stand-out players."
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2006, 22:23   #35
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

franz is right.
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 18:51   #36
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

that its always so much better on holiday?

Fifa in picking on reputation and media coverage non shocker (Re ballack, terry, toni, totti)

For me, unless you made it to the quarters you had very little chance of making the squad : Exceptions : senderos for being part of a team that didnt concede a goal, and breaking his nose in the process which was heroic, cahill for becoming one of the best 5-10 attacking midfielders in the world, and torres for 3 goals in 3 starts.

Even going team by team and doing the squads, ballack over schweinsteiger? no. ze roberto over kaka? no. terry over cole or ferdinand? no

carvahlo, ever, in any circumstance? no

Also terry had a woeful world cup, for a "future england captain" and "mr consistency", having a shocker vs Sweden, and falling over in the middle of nowhere vs Trinidad & Tobago out of 4 games doesnt do you any favours.