User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 6 Jun 2007, 19:04   #1
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have a dream - Media Stuff

So we moved into this new house. All very nice.

Wireless router reaches every corner with good signal strength, I could cable the house if I wanted to, but that's not really the issue.

I have two PC's, only one of which is in commission at the moment. The main PC has all the music, pictures, films, general media on it.

I'm planning to transfer the media to the second PC (when I get round to rebuilding it) and using it as a media server.

Now, here's the good bit. Not only do I want to view these files on the 'main' PC, but also on the couple of TV's we have. I understand Windows Media Centre will do the media server bit, and getting files on the main PC or my laptop shouldn't be a big deal.
I think I saw something about a Media Centre Extender? It acts as an interface betwen the TV and the Media Server so the TV's remote can select files, play them, etc

Anyone used one? Know anything about it? Any alternatives?

Cheers
DM

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 06:03   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I have a dream - Media Stuff

If you plan to do it that way then yes the Media Centre Extender is another box that connects to your TV and allows you to play movies etc from the Media Centre PC.

If you happen to also own a XBox 360 it will duelly act as a Media Centre Extender as well.

There are additionally third party options, that only require that 1 or more PCs have a shared folder setup with your movies/music etc inside. Then you just need one of many available third party media extenders that will play the folders from any network share.

One of the better ones are the Mediagate (dont have link for UK).

A slightly more geeky and complex solution is to do as I have done and mod an original xbox and load XBMC onto it which will function as a media extender.
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 08:51   #3
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

A friend of mine created such a szenario, but he also wanted to copy tv content to his media box, he used this:
http://www.techcase.de/index.php?cPa...574016c92e1ce2

This is a small all in one mainboard, VERY! quiet and needs only a small amout of power, with free software ( i think it was vlc media player ) he created his own server, the cool thing with a tv card on this board you can replace your DVD / Reciever / Recorder etc.
ok, you have to buy the hardware, but the software is free and very good.
perhaps you are looking just for this
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 17:09   #4
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sale
A friend of mine created such a szenario, but he also wanted to copy tv content to his media box, he used this:
http://www.techcase.de/index.php?cPa...574016c92e1ce2

This is a small all in one mainboard, VERY! quiet and needs only a small amout of power, with free software ( i think it was vlc media player ) he created his own server, the cool thing with a tv card on this board you can replace your DVD / Reciever / Recorder etc.
ok, you have to buy the hardware, but the software is free and very good.
perhaps you are looking just for this
Thanks, I used to play around with PC-104 boards, which are stackable boards (processor/graphics interface/etc) that add functionality as you need them, they looka bit like those cards you linked to above.

It'd get back into fiddling around with bits and pieces, which can't be a bad thing..!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2007, 10:55   #5
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

yeah they are quite fun, and useful in many ways. building a quiet router or your own multimedia center

good luck to you, and tell me when you are finished \o/
i would love to hear some details
sale is offline   Reply With Quote