User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 May 2005, 20:16   #51
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Geek Humour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Taking natural logs is the inverse function of e^x, if that's what you mean.
The other day I made a very natural log.

Then I flushed it.
Unread 2 May 2005, 20:21   #52
MrPedantic
Banned

MrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Still trying to get over the dissapointment that its "Geek humour" not greek humour, was looking forward to some greek humour for a weird reason.
"bobadopalis the builder - can he finish it?
bobadopalis the builder - no he cant"

Shamelessly ripped from 2dtv, and poking fun at athens olympics
MrPedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 20:27   #53
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPedantic
"bobadopalis the builder - can he finish it?
bobadopalis the builder - no he cant"

Shamelessly ripped from 2dtv, and poking fun at athens olympics
haha time to poke fun at my greek housemate *g*

thanks
Unread 2 May 2005, 20:32   #54
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
The other day I made a very natural log.

Then I flushed it.
I never try to differentiate my natural logs, you'll just end up being reciprocated over.

That didn't make any sense did it?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 20:52   #55
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Stepping into quey's correctional shoes for a moment in order to point out to vaio that it should REALLY be "There's no place like ~", as ~ is the shortcut to the current user's home folder which is usually in a users folder and named according to their logon name (unless you're root, in which case it's usually /root).

For example, on one of the servers at uni for which my logon is "comd":
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ pwd
/diskh/zco/comd/public_html
-bash-2.05b$ cd ~
-bash-2.05b$ pwd
/diskh/zco/comd
-bash-2.05b$

Do I win some geek points now?
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:10   #56
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You all win X+1 geek points, and lose 3/4 of your "I have a real life, Honest" points.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:17   #57
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

this thread delivers.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:19   #58
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Taking natural logs is the inverse function of e^x, if that's what you mean. I'm still confused though.
Me too, and I'm not even trying to follow your conversation.
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:20   #59
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
You all win X+1 geek points.
Good job 1-X didn't contribute or you'd have (1-X)(X+1) so he really would have been square.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:22   #60
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Good job 1-X didn't contribute or you'd have (1-X)(X+1) so he really would have been square.
No he wouldn't.
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:23   #61
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He would have been a quadratic equation with equal and opposite roots though!
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:24   #62
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
He would have been a quadratic equation with equal and opposite roots though!
Not that either. He would have been a quadratic equation with roots that differ from a given value (in this case, 1) by a numerically equal yet opposite amount, given in the orginal statement by the value "x".
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:27   #63
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

heh

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:28   #64
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
No he wouldn't.
Instead of the 1+X points of everyone else, it'd be 1- x^2 and it was this squared part, rather than X I was on about.
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:34   #65
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Mark being pedantic in a thread?

Gosh! What are the chances!

I wish I'd taken bets!
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:38   #66
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Not that either. He would have been a quadratic equation with roots that differ from a given value (in this case, 1) by a numerically equal yet opposite amount, given in the orginal statement by the value "x".
I seriously doubt anyone could be more pedantic than this. Unless you corrected a minor point of grammar in my post at the same time.
Unread 2 May 2005, 21:48   #67
JonnyBGood
Banned

This is probably the best story about science there has ever been so in case you haven't read it before here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Calandra
Some time ago I received a call from a colleague who asked if I would
be the referee on the grading of an examination question. He was about
to give a student a zero for his answer to a physics question, while
the student claimed he should receive a perfect score and would if the
system were not set up against the student: The instructor and the
student agreed to submit this to an impartial arbiter, and I was
selected.

I went to my colleague's office and read the examination question:
"Show how it is possible to determine the height of a tall building
with the aid of a barometer."

The student had answered: "Take a barometer to the top of the
building, attach a long rope to it, lower the barometer to the street
and then bring it up, measuring the length of the rope. The length of
the rope is the height of the building."

I pointed out that the student really had a strong case for full
credit since he had answered the question completely and correctly. On
the other hand, if full credit was given, it could well contribute to
a high grade for the student in his physics course. A high grade is
supposed to certify competence in physics, but the answer did not
confirm this. I suggested that the student have another try at
answering the question I was not surprised that my colleague agreed,
but I was surprised that the student did.

I gave the student six minutes to answer the question with the warning
that the answer should show some knowledge of physics. At the end of
five minutes, he had not written anything. I asked if he wished to
give up, but he said no. He had many answers to this problem; he was
just thinking of the best one. I excused myself for interrupting him
and asked him to please go on. In the next minute he dashed off his
answer which read:

"Take the barometer to the top of the building and lean over the edge
of the roof. Drop that barometer, timing its fall with a stopwatch.
Then using the formula S = ½at², calculate the height of the building.

At this point I asked my colleague if he would give up. He conceded,
and I gave the student almost full credit.

In leaving my colleague's office, I recalled that the student had said
he had many other answers to the problem, so I asked him what they
were. "Oh yes," said the student. "There are a great many ways of
getting the height of a tall building with a barometer. For example,
you could take the barometer out on a sunny day and measure the height
of the barometer and the length of its shadow, and the length of the
shadow of the building and by the use of a simple proportion,
determine the height of the building."

"Fine," I asked. "And the others?"

"Yes," said the student. "There is a very basic measurement method
that you will like. In this method you take the barometer and begin to
walk up the stairs. As you climb the stairs, you mark off the length
of the barometer along the wa]l. You then count the number of marks,
and this will give you the height of the building in barometer units.
A very direct method."

"Of course, if you want a more sophisticated method, you can tie the
barometer to the end of a string, swing it as a pendulum, and
determine the value of `g' at the street level and at the top of the
building. From the difference of the two values of `g' the height of
the building can be calculated."

Finally, he concluded, there are many other ways of solving the
problem. "Probably the best," he said, "is to take the barometer to
the basement and knock on the superintendent's door. When the
superintendent answers, you speak to him as follows: "Mr.
Superintendent, here I have a fine barometer. If you tell me the
height of this building, I will give you this barometer."
Unread 2 May 2005, 22:39   #68
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Having a creative mind is far more important than having an analytical mind, clearly
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:04   #69
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I seriously doubt anyone could be more pedantic than this. Unless you corrected a minor point of grammar in my post at the same time.
Orly?

Quote:
Instead of the 1+X points of everyone else, it'd be 1- x^2 and it was this squared part, rather than X I was on about.
That's not (1-x)^2, though, is it? 1 - 2x + x^2 doesn't equal 1 - x^2, unless x = 0 or 1 which wasn't a specified condition.
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:11   #70
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you're missing the point
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:13   #71
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
you're missing the point
No, it's entirely justified to round to 1 significant figure in the case of exact, theoretical values which aren't in any way affected by potential errors in measurement, thus any decimal specification is not required in the definition of potential solutions to the given equality.
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:47   #72
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i need a barometer
Unread 3 May 2005, 03:05   #73
JonnyBGood
Banned

I heard that one as bravery.

However this one is an actual published article first written by the guy whose name i used as the originally posted by thing.
Unread 3 May 2005, 04:52   #74
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Isn't the point in the solving of each assignment that you should show your grasp of the relevant chapter in the phys.book?
If that were the case, shouldn't the assignment actually require use of the relevant chapter in order to complete it?
Quote:
He's got the grasp of basic speed/length equations, but not pressure/volume/denisty, which is really the relevant aspect here.
I don't think we can assume that.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:17   #75
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
2^x solved a briggsian logarithm then. lg(x). It is a exponetial function as far as I remember the definition: ka^x, where a is any positive, real number.
Did you put "Briggsian" in just to attempt to appear more intelligent, as it's utterly redundent when you're talking about "logarithms" as it is just the common logarithm.
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:40   #76
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I told the following joke to the new staff at work last week.....

Jesus and his disciples are walking along the road when all of a sudden Jesus stops and says 'You know, the world is like 2x^2+3x-5'. The disciples stare blankly at him and wonder what the hell he is on about when Matthew says 'Don't worry - it's just another one of his parabolas!

BOOM BOOM!

The new staff didn't find it funny :(

Thankfully they later got sacked in an unrelated incident ;)

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:44   #77
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Of course they didn't find it funny. It's "parabolae"!
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:46   #78
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

:rolleyes:

:(

Unread 3 May 2005, 10:53   #79
ph8
Banned

ph8 is on a distinguished road

Does laughing at this thread make me a geek?

It's not a good thing ( Proof Below )

Let G = geekiness - you are either a geek, almost a geek or not. values 2,1 and 0 respectively.
Let P = Penis Size
Let S = Sexual Voodoo
Let N = Chance of NOT getting laid

Herein: -

G * (P+S) = N

I get some at the moment... honest
ph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:56   #80
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Ok but how does this work for a female geek?

And what the buggery **** is 'sexual voodoo'?!

Unread 3 May 2005, 11:31   #81
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

its like warm apple pieeeeeeeeeeee

mmmmm pie
Unread 3 May 2005, 11:34   #82
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I told the following joke to the new staff at work last week.....

Jesus and his disciples are walking along the road when all of a sudden Jesus stops and says 'You know, the world is like 2x^2+3x-5'. The disciples stare blankly at him and wonder what the hell he is on about when Matthew says 'Don't worry - it's just another one of his parabolas!

BOOM BOOM!

The new staff didn't find it funny

Thankfully they later got sacked in an unrelated incident
note to self : check if being employed by a maths geek.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 3 May 2005, 11:46   #83
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

this thread is excellent, in a very specialised way
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:05   #84
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph8
Does laughing at this thread make me a geek?

It's not a good thing ( Proof Below )

Let G = geekiness - you are either a geek, almost a geek or not. values 2,1 and 0 respectively.
Let P = Penis Size
Let S = Sexual Voodoo
Let N = Chance of NOT getting laid

Herein: -

G * (P+S) = N

I get some at the moment... honest
You're saying that the better endowed a geek is, the greater sexual magnetism a geek has, he's LESS likely to get laid? I think you need to change that * to a /.
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:08   #85
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wish i hadnt clicked on this thread, now its too late

my soul is condemned to eternal damnation.
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:42   #86
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

2^x = e^ax, where a = ln 2. So when you integrate it you get a extra factor of a. If I were 2^x I would choose not to integrate since a factor of ln 2 would decrease my magnitude. Perhaps the joke assumes a perverse conformist value judgement that magnitude is a bad thing, or the joke is an allegory of peer pressure.

My only complaint about the joke is that it ignores any kind of constant of integration. The relevant integration operator must be an exact integral between minus infinity and x. But you have to allow a little artistic licence.

Last edited by queball; 4 May 2005 at 00:35.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:29   #87
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Re: grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
If that were the case, shouldn't the assignment actually require use of the relevant chapter in order to complete it?

I don't think we can assume that.
Surely, though, in dropping his barometer from the top of the building and timing it he is using a stopwatch or other device, as well as some form of weighing equipment to ascertain the mass of the barometer, etc, all of which he has not been given in the question. The whole point of the question was that he has a barometer and had to use IT in scientific method - not any other objects - to discover the height of the building. No?
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:48   #88
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The earlier arguments seemed to include the use of the natural nubmer (e) as a requirement for a function to be exponential
Since I didn't make that mistake, why exactly did you quote me?
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:58   #89
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You started the enitre argument....
Technically, that could be said to be true. Except when referring to an "argument" as a noun (a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition), you can't have an "argument" (discussion) without two conflicting viewpoints, so when I disagreed with an incorrect statement, I was establishing the existance of an argument.

But that's rather a roundabout set of ideas, when it's quite clear that I said the opposite of what you appear to be implying, viz: that I was in some way responsible for the misunderstanding by which 2^x taken to be not exponential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
funny, but 2^x isn't an exponential function?
Quote:
I think you should tell mathematics about that, it's obviously woefully misinformed.
Unread 3 May 2005, 14:44   #90
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
You started the enitre argument....
Ah, the "you started it" school of debate. A valuable addition to any thread regardless of topic.
Unread 3 May 2005, 15:43   #91
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation get a grep on yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
Surely, though, in dropping his barometer from the top of the building and timing it he is using a stopwatch or other device, as well as some form of weighing equipment to ascertain the mass of the barometer, etc, all of which he has not been given in the question. The whole point of the question was that he has a barometer and had to use IT in scientific method - not any other objects - to discover the height of the building. No?
Well he'd also need to know the density of mercury relative to air (or whatever liquid is used in the barometer) which is also not given. Why is it ok to assume he has a table of densities handy but not a stopwatch?

And incidently, you don't need to know the mass of the barometer.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 17:08   #92
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
That's not (1-x)^2, though, is it? 1 - 2x + x^2 doesn't equal 1 - x^2, unless x = 0 or 1 which wasn't a specified condition.
You're misinterpreting what I said to try to make it look like you're right, but I'm wrong. I was saying that (1-X)(1+X), being the difference of two squares equals 1 - X^2, and thus 1-X (the friendly user) has a squared term, whereas anyone else who got Kura's geek points did not.
Unread 3 May 2005, 17:35   #93
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You're misinterpreting what I said to try to make it look like you're right, but I'm wrong. I was saying that (1-X)(1+X), being the difference of two squares equals 1 - X^2, and thus 1-X (the friendly user) has a squared term, whereas anyone else who got Kura's geek points did not.
You phrased it badly, then; "he would have been square" implies that "he" would have been "square", which is not the case as he merely contains a squared term.
Unread 3 May 2005, 18:15   #94
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread sucks apart from queball's posts
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:03   #95
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread moved from "geeky jokes" onto "too ****ing geeky please get a life" all too quickly.
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:10   #96
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Blame this man.

Quote:
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:12   #97
JonnyBGood
Banned

I paint myself red and run screaming around mark every Tuesday morning.
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:22   #98
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Geek Humour

Quote:
Blame this man.
Nobody dast blame this man. You don't understand, Jonny's an Irishman; and for an Irishman, there's no rock bottom to the life. He don't put a bolt to a nut, he don't tell you the law or give you medicine. He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and an alcohol problem. And when they stop serving you Guinness, that's an earthquake. And then you lose your pipe, and you're finished.

An Irishman's gotta have a dream, boy. It comes with the territory.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:28   #99
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
An Irishman's gotta have a dream, boy. It comes with the territory.
WON'T YOU SAY YOU LIKE MY HAT, SHANNON?!
Unread 4 May 2005, 14:01   #100
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

y=3x+5 goes to the pub

"Do you serve sandwhiches?" He asks.
"Sorry sir" replies the barman "We dont cater for functions"....